Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is he right 17:05 - Jul 22 with 3394 viewspeejaybee

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/football/lee_cook_column_qpr_have_to_strengt

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Is he right on 17:06 - Jul 22 with 2793 viewsDorse

He's Lee Cook. Even if he's wrong he's still right as far as I'm concerned.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Is he right on 17:14 - Jul 22 with 2745 viewssimmo

I love him as a player, but he should stick to football. There's not much to it and it's still contradictory.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 17:16]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Is he right on 17:23 - Jul 22 with 2701 viewsToast_R

He could be right, time will tell.

One thing that is omnipresent is that lack of leadership on the pitch. I'm still waiting to see that kind of signing. A Sean Derry or Alan McDonald type of player. Seems to be a dying attribute.
Is he right on 17:32 - Jul 22 with 2672 viewsBucksRanger

I suspect Lee Cook is more right than wrong. I've seen little from the incoming players to inspire me and much in the outgoing Hill and Faurlin that will be missed.

Our defence looks as though it will be reasonably solid and stolid but I fear for the midfield for now. Early days for Ariel and he may be a revelation but if he is not I worry that the rest will fall apart for want of a real leader.

Upfront, well I really do like the rough and ready Polter but that's about it unless JFH can put a rocket under the arse of the proverbial underachiever JET.

As it stands, I fear we will have a season in the lower reaches of the division ending around 15th / 16th.

I've kept quiet until now as people overall seem to be fairly positive but as Lee Cook also has concerns at least I know I am not alone.

If I were to bet on QPR this season it would be that they get more 0-0 results than any other team in the Championship.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 17:36]
Is he right on 17:51 - Jul 22 with 2598 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Is he right on 17:32 - Jul 22 by BucksRanger

I suspect Lee Cook is more right than wrong. I've seen little from the incoming players to inspire me and much in the outgoing Hill and Faurlin that will be missed.

Our defence looks as though it will be reasonably solid and stolid but I fear for the midfield for now. Early days for Ariel and he may be a revelation but if he is not I worry that the rest will fall apart for want of a real leader.

Upfront, well I really do like the rough and ready Polter but that's about it unless JFH can put a rocket under the arse of the proverbial underachiever JET.

As it stands, I fear we will have a season in the lower reaches of the division ending around 15th / 16th.

I've kept quiet until now as people overall seem to be fairly positive but as Lee Cook also has concerns at least I know I am not alone.

If I were to bet on QPR this season it would be that they get more 0-0 results than any other team in the Championship.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 17:36]

Everyone always forgets Connor Wsahington who could easily be a revelation

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Is he right on 18:00 - Jul 22 with 2576 viewsNorthernr

As we stand we have two excellent goalkeepers and a better defence than last season. Central midfield is boosted by Cousins but we need Luongo to step up or the Pole to be brilliant or we're short there. We look very short wide and up front but this "we need 2 strikers why don't they realise?" bleating, mostly on social media rather than here, misses several points.

1 - strikers are the most sought after, the most expensive, the hardest to find. A team in our league had just spent £10m on Dwight Gayle. I've seen people mention Bamford, who Chelsea want to go to a Prem club and will charge a huge fee just to borrow him for a bit. I've seen people mention Nugent, who cost Boro £5m a year ago in the old, slightly less barmy market. I've seen people say "I assure you our board can afford it" which totally ignores FFP. Villa, Newcastle being in this league and takeovers at Wolves and elsewhere is making the market barmy.

2 - we bought a striker in Jan for £2.5m who we've hardly used. Whether CW succeeds or not isn't really the point, we are no longer able to spend £2.5m on a player, give up on him after 6 months, then pay that (or more) again. Yes we need to sign another striker and a winger (at least) but we also need to work on CW more.

3 - for those who think we should just ignore FFP as Newcastle will do, as we did before, and have a blast at it - because we can't be away from the Prem money for long and we've only got two more years of reducing parachute payments - the problem is the Champ looks stronger this year than I can ever remember. People say that every year but in truth it's been mediocre sht since that year when we popped v v good Seansea, Norwich and Cardiff teams to it. This year all three relegated teams could win it, plus several big clubs who've been kicking around for ages may be getting their act together - Sheff Wed, Wolves, Derby, Leeds. So even if we did push the boat out, buy a £5m striker (and that's what a half decent one will cost) and ignore FFP then there's a good chance we won't go up anyway and that means next year we're still here, one more parachute payment left and a transfer embargo.

4 - for those who say we've got £10m sloshing around from Fer and Phillips... Lynch + Bidwell + Cousins + Polish Lad = Fer. Parachute payment last season £25m, parachute payment this season £20m = Phillips. It's already gone.

So yeah, ideal world, we need big reinforcements up front, but we're not in an ideal world. As Ferdinand said in his interview with us, there's nobody who wants to spend £8m on a striker more than him.

And as for the Cook piece, God love him but he appears to say Polter isn't any good because he's a big lump who can't score and then go onto say maybe we should get a big lump who doesn't necessarily score so Chery and others can play off him. Polter is a better player than Akinde IMO.
Is he right on 18:35 - Jul 22 with 2484 views18StoneOfHoop

Is he right on 18:00 - Jul 22 by Northernr

As we stand we have two excellent goalkeepers and a better defence than last season. Central midfield is boosted by Cousins but we need Luongo to step up or the Pole to be brilliant or we're short there. We look very short wide and up front but this "we need 2 strikers why don't they realise?" bleating, mostly on social media rather than here, misses several points.

1 - strikers are the most sought after, the most expensive, the hardest to find. A team in our league had just spent £10m on Dwight Gayle. I've seen people mention Bamford, who Chelsea want to go to a Prem club and will charge a huge fee just to borrow him for a bit. I've seen people mention Nugent, who cost Boro £5m a year ago in the old, slightly less barmy market. I've seen people say "I assure you our board can afford it" which totally ignores FFP. Villa, Newcastle being in this league and takeovers at Wolves and elsewhere is making the market barmy.

2 - we bought a striker in Jan for £2.5m who we've hardly used. Whether CW succeeds or not isn't really the point, we are no longer able to spend £2.5m on a player, give up on him after 6 months, then pay that (or more) again. Yes we need to sign another striker and a winger (at least) but we also need to work on CW more.

3 - for those who think we should just ignore FFP as Newcastle will do, as we did before, and have a blast at it - because we can't be away from the Prem money for long and we've only got two more years of reducing parachute payments - the problem is the Champ looks stronger this year than I can ever remember. People say that every year but in truth it's been mediocre sht since that year when we popped v v good Seansea, Norwich and Cardiff teams to it. This year all three relegated teams could win it, plus several big clubs who've been kicking around for ages may be getting their act together - Sheff Wed, Wolves, Derby, Leeds. So even if we did push the boat out, buy a £5m striker (and that's what a half decent one will cost) and ignore FFP then there's a good chance we won't go up anyway and that means next year we're still here, one more parachute payment left and a transfer embargo.

4 - for those who say we've got £10m sloshing around from Fer and Phillips... Lynch + Bidwell + Cousins + Polish Lad = Fer. Parachute payment last season £25m, parachute payment this season £20m = Phillips. It's already gone.

So yeah, ideal world, we need big reinforcements up front, but we're not in an ideal world. As Ferdinand said in his interview with us, there's nobody who wants to spend £8m on a striker more than him.

And as for the Cook piece, God love him but he appears to say Polter isn't any good because he's a big lump who can't score and then go onto say maybe we should get a big lump who doesn't necessarily score so Chery and others can play off him. Polter is a better player than Akinde IMO.

With more skill than Polter
next season's top scorer JET
is deemed not even worth a mention.

He's gonna come good Itell ya.
I feel it in my water,
I feel it in my bones.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Is he right on 20:05 - Jul 22 with 2336 viewskensalriser

Plenty of the usual rose-tinted pre-season optimism around.

Odds have us at 33/1 to win it, 8th favourites along with four others, so call it tenth. I think tenth is a fair shout and I'd be happy if we finished above that. I can't see that the team is really any stronger than it was this time last year.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Is he right on 20:46 - Jul 22 with 2259 viewsTacticalR

Interesting that Cook lumps Polter and Washington together. Polter has delivered to some degree but it's looking like it's going to take Washington a long time to find his feet.

Air hostess clique

Is he right on 01:57 - Jul 23 with 1981 viewsderbyhoop

Yes, he's right. And for all the reasons Clive laid out in greater detail.

We've lost 24 goals from last season (Austin 10, Phillips 8 and Hoilett 6) and while I would expect more from Luongo, Gladwin and Washington, I don't see us scoring over 50 goals in 46 games. Last year we conceded 22 in the first 11 games, but only 32 in the other 35. So I'm expecting a lot of low scoring games and finishing somewhere close to last season's 12th.

Of course, another striker, who we cannot afford, could make up the difference.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Is he right on 06:23 - Jul 23 with 1932 viewscorse

yes. he is right
i think on the paper we look like a team fighting for places between 12-16.
two good goalies, decent defense.
but our midfield is really poor. what ever people thought about hoillet and phillips we really need to bring in good replacements. cousins is a half decent championship player but nowhere near hoillet and phillips. chery is the only one who stands out.
and our forwards...it really doesent look good at the moment. one half decent polter, one poor jet and one conor that i have yet to see he is worth any of the £££ s we payed for him.
our own youngsters knockin the starting eleven are nowhere near it to play 46 games in championship.
Is he right on 06:57 - Jul 23 with 1895 viewsPunteR

One thing he's right on is - "People say you’ve got to give these players time, but you haven’t got that time in modern day football."

Unfortunately.

Washington needs to hit the ground running Imo. For the money we spent on him I would expect 15- 20 goals. He looked ok at international level during the Euro's so championship level shouldn't be to much of a challenge,he just needs to get a good run of games.
JET has the ability but maybe not the temperament to sustain a good season long campaign .
Polter is a weird one. He's either going to be an absolute menace and bag a load of goals and assists or he's going to be,as I saw it last season, very average,with a poor touch,might have an occasional sublime moment somehow but puts 100% effort in ,gets on well with the fans and we all love him for it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Is he right on 09:26 - Jul 23 with 1727 viewsbosh67

I think we have to make JET work. We know he has the talent and can score goals. I almost feel he needs someone like Les to step in to be his mentor. That means we have JET, Seb, Conor and Tjaronn as the 4 forwards, with Grego and perhaps one other yoot to come through to challenge up front.

For me, Newcastle should breeze through as champions, Villa should also challenge, as should Norwich and Brighton. Even Leeds could be much stronger this year and Weds could be strong. So even making play offs is a big shout this season. Top ten for us and a team that is bonded and ready to really push the following season looks a lot more likely.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Is he right on 10:42 - Jul 23 with 1645 viewsrsonist

"4 - for those who say we've got £10m sloshing around from Fer and Phillips... Lynch + Bidwell + Cousins + Polish Lad = Fer. Parachute payment last season £25m, parachute payment this season £20m = Phillips. It's already gone. "

Eh?

Sorry to see Cookie spouting off the same as any random berk on Twitter or the boards. "Some solid signings in the transfer market, but unspectacular", "another five or six players or we’ll be in for another season of disappointment" "got to hit the ground running from the off or it could be curtains for Jimmy"? It's really unconstructive. Everyone with a passing interest ought to bleeding know by now the club are after new players in attack, they've said it themselves several times. And the whole "what we need is a striker who [describes Polter to a tee]" bit is laughable.
Is he right on 10:55 - Jul 23 with 1631 viewsrsonist

It just really gets my back up. The club have worked diligently and responsibly to bring the right players in at good value so far and are continuing to do so with three weeks to go. Why do people feel the need to whinge when the job is still in progress? It's like leaning over the plumber under the kitchen sink to turn the taps on and off and sigh and roll your eyes.
Is he right on 11:05 - Jul 23 with 1601 viewsNorthernr

Is he right on 10:42 - Jul 23 by rsonist

"4 - for those who say we've got £10m sloshing around from Fer and Phillips... Lynch + Bidwell + Cousins + Polish Lad = Fer. Parachute payment last season £25m, parachute payment this season £20m = Phillips. It's already gone. "

Eh?

Sorry to see Cookie spouting off the same as any random berk on Twitter or the boards. "Some solid signings in the transfer market, but unspectacular", "another five or six players or we’ll be in for another season of disappointment" "got to hit the ground running from the off or it could be curtains for Jimmy"? It's really unconstructive. Everyone with a passing interest ought to bleeding know by now the club are after new players in attack, they've said it themselves several times. And the whole "what we need is a striker who [describes Polter to a tee]" bit is laughable.

Sorry, what I mean is people (mainly on Twitter) think we've got ££ to spend from Fer and Phillips sales. I'm saying it's already gone. The Fer money covers Bidwell, Lynch, Cousins and the Polish Lad.
Our parachute money this year is £5m less than it was last season. So the Phillips money covers that shortfall when it comes to FFP. We only just made FFP last season, this season we have to do it again with £5m less for the parachute, so that's your Phillips money. We also got the Sterling ££ last year which we're not getting this time.

Agree with your other points.
Is he right on 11:31 - Jul 23 with 1564 viewskropotkin41

Football prediction is a funny old game though isn't it? We should have learned that during the 19 games of Warnock and his shorts; if we didn't get it then, everyone should have got it looking at the Prem last year, or indeed the Euros this summer.

I'm happy that Hoos is looking after the business and worrying about what'll happen when the parachute payments run out; I'm happy that JFH is manager. And nobody knows where we will finish this season, but we won't finish up deeper in debt and spending the whole season watching players who can't be bothered.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:39 - Jul 23 with 1551 viewsDorse

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:41 - Jul 23 with 1546 viewsDorse

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:39 - Jul 23 by Dorse

I had more to say than that. Bloody wifi dropped me out. I know you can 't see it but the reply I made previously was brilliant, insightful and summed up the situation perfectly whilst suggesting areas for development and appropriate strategies by which to achieve our shared goals. Honest.

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:59 - Jul 23 with 1520 viewsJeff

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:41 - Jul 23 by Dorse

I had more to say than that. Bloody wifi dropped me out. I know you can 't see it but the reply I made previously was brilliant, insightful and summed up the situation perfectly whilst suggesting areas for development and appropriate strategies by which to achieve our shared goals. Honest.

Disagree entirely with your point. Reference to your political leanings. General insult about your overall level of education. Passive aggressive comment about whether you actually go to games. Comparison with Neil Warnock's QPR. Mention of Taarabt. Suggestion that we're going to get relegated.

Can we not knock it?

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:24 - Jul 23 with 1474 viewskensalriser

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:59 - Jul 23 by Jeff

Disagree entirely with your point. Reference to your political leanings. General insult about your overall level of education. Passive aggressive comment about whether you actually go to games. Comparison with Neil Warnock's QPR. Mention of Taarabt. Suggestion that we're going to get relegated.

Ridiculous. Faurlin has nothing to do with it.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Is he right on 12:41 - Jul 23 with 1447 viewsrsonist

Is he right on 11:05 - Jul 23 by Northernr

Sorry, what I mean is people (mainly on Twitter) think we've got ££ to spend from Fer and Phillips sales. I'm saying it's already gone. The Fer money covers Bidwell, Lynch, Cousins and the Polish Lad.
Our parachute money this year is £5m less than it was last season. So the Phillips money covers that shortfall when it comes to FFP. We only just made FFP last season, this season we have to do it again with £5m less for the parachute, so that's your Phillips money. We also got the Sterling ££ last year which we're not getting this time.

Agree with your other points.

Ah right thanks, it was the Phillips bit that eluded me. Yes that makes sense.

I don't remember hearing that we just made FFP last season (presumably that's according to Hoos) or maybe I did and thought nothing of it. Would love to know how when the accounts are published because it seems impossible...
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:44 - Jul 23 with 1441 viewsdavman

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:24 - Jul 23 by kensalriser

Ridiculous. Faurlin has nothing to do with it.

Won't believe anything until the Barnsley site confirms that Nigel Spackman has signed.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Is he right on 12:52 - Jul 23 with 1428 viewsbosh67

Cookie recommends a player like John Akinde at Barnet. Why not? 54 goals in 88 games there. 27, clearly reaching his peak. Worth a go in Barnet would sell him.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Is he right on 13:12 - Jul 23 with 1397 viewsNorthernr

Is he right on 12:52 - Jul 23 by bosh67

Cookie recommends a player like John Akinde at Barnet. Why not? 54 goals in 88 games there. 27, clearly reaching his peak. Worth a go in Barnet would sell him.

By "a go" do you mean "a go" or a dozen starts in 6 months followed by a write off and demand we sign another striker?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024