Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
While talking to a British gent yesterday 16:52 - Jul 24 with 1890 viewsBoston

....an expat of some thirty years, he used the word 'grebo' during our conversation. I had to stop the bloke talking to tell him I hadn't heard that term since I was seventeen. What the f did it mean? I vaguely recall it suggested a tearaway type but....any other words you used as a nipper that have gone by the wayside?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 16:54 - Jul 24 with 1884 viewsloftboy

Normally someone into heavy metal was called that when I was at senior school 1978-1983

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 23:45 - Jul 24 with 1646 viewsTacticalR

Nipper

Air hostess clique

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 23:51 - Jul 24 with 1634 viewsWilloW4

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 23:45 - Jul 24 by TacticalR

Nipper

Wotcha... My old man and uncles used it all the time ... I still do. Just spent an evening in a 'proper' pub in sarf London.. Greeted my the barman with..'wotcha, what would you like?'...wonderful, a little bit of old London is still alive.
While talking to a British gent yesterday on 10:01 - Jul 25 with 1473 viewsDorse

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 16:54 - Jul 24 by loftboy

Normally someone into heavy metal was called that when I was at senior school 1978-1983

I remember it meaning something similar. Tended to refer to lank-haired, bum-fluff-tached, greaseballs who wouldn't take their leather jackets off in 30 degree heat and (if they could find one) had morbidly obese girlfriends with Doc Martens and heavy eye make-up.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 12:07 - Jul 25 with 1350 viewsMrSheen

Shufty.
While talking to a British gent yesterday on 12:32 - Jul 25 with 1313 viewsMick_S

Blimey shortened to "bli" and grin or grindle.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 18:31 - Jul 25 with 1203 viewsFredManRave

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 10:01 - Jul 25 by Dorse

I remember it meaning something similar. Tended to refer to lank-haired, bum-fluff-tached, greaseballs who wouldn't take their leather jackets off in 30 degree heat and (if they could find one) had morbidly obese girlfriends with Doc Martens and heavy eye make-up.

Yeah but at the time we thought we were cool and our girlfriends were hot.

"Reckon" used in a disbelieving tone.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 20:39 - Jul 25 with 1129 viewsDorse

'Spazmo' (which, upon guidance in political correctness, was altered to 'Shneeds')

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 20:52 - Jul 25 with 1118 viewsjoolsyp

Forerunner of grunge ... Fans of a bunch of East Midlands bands back in the late 80s/early 90s such as Gay Bykers on Acid, Crazyhead ...
While talking to a British gent yesterday on 21:32 - Jul 25 with 1089 viewsLythamR

Greebo is an abreviation of Greaseball used by Mods about Rockers in the 60's and carried on through the 70's, we used it in the late 70s referring to rockabilly types around ealing/hillingdon way
While talking to a British gent yesterday on 09:14 - Jul 26 with 994 viewsMonahoop

While talking to a British gent yesterday on 21:32 - Jul 25 by LythamR

Greebo is an abreviation of Greaseball used by Mods about Rockers in the 60's and carried on through the 70's, we used it in the late 70s referring to rockabilly types around ealing/hillingdon way

Greebo. It was used at my schooling age too throughout the 70's by both pupils and teachers. Us pupils refered to it to greasy rocker types, teachers refered to it to pupils who looked like they hadn't washed for weeks. And there were lots of them!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

While talking to a British gent yesterday (n/t) on 14:00 - Jul 26 with 906 viewsPaddington_Paul

My old man would use the word Tosh.

As in don't like that load of old Tosh!

Or he would affectionately call a child he had forgotten the name of ,Tosh.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 14:10]
While talking to a British gent yesterday (n/t) on 15:11 - Jul 26 with 853 viewsBoston

While talking to a British gent yesterday (n/t) on 14:00 - Jul 26 by Paddington_Paul

My old man would use the word Tosh.

As in don't like that load of old Tosh!

Or he would affectionately call a child he had forgotten the name of ,Tosh.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 14:10]

Also used in the paint trade....Tosher, painter....toshing, rough paint job.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

While talking to a British gent yesterday (n/t) on 20:44 - Jul 26 with 751 viewsMonahoop

While talking to a British gent yesterday (n/t) on 15:11 - Jul 26 by Boston

Also used in the paint trade....Tosher, painter....toshing, rough paint job.

I believe tosh is an old London term which gets its origins from Toshers, people that worked down the old Victorian sewers or on the banks of the Thames collecting discarded trinkets, jewellery, coins or any old bits of rubbish which could be salvaged and be of some use. Hence 'what a load of old tosh' pertaining to someone talking utter rubbish. Apparently.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024