Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Predictions For The Season? 21:02 - Jul 24 with 5137 viewsDylanP

So, they say that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame (5 minutes, now that we are in the internet age). Well as I won the Prediction League last season, I am claiming my 5 minutes and using it to start this thread.

What's your prediction for the season? What are your expectations? What would be reasonable achievement, and what would be utter disappointment?

I'm going bold and am predicting a play-off push.I know there is a lot of talk about this is the hardest championship in ages. I don't care. I know that there is a lot of gelling necessary before the group of players we have can even be described as a team. Yup, got it.I know that predicting doom and gloom is always easier than visioning a brighter future. And, I know that QPR usually let me down. But it was bold predictions that won me my 5 minutes (three now) so, I'm choosing to zig where others choose to zag!

Prediction: Play-off push. Washington, JET, and Al-Khayati all get slow starts but the gaffer sticks with them and by Xmas they are making him look like a genius.

Reasonable Achievement: 10th spot of better.

Utter Disappointment: Under 10th place.

Right, I got one minute left .... what do you think? Glass half full, or reaching for another glass of scotch?

[Post edited 24 Jul 2016 21:02]

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Predictions For The Season? on 11:54 - Jul 25 with 1147 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I wrote in the last edition of AKUTRs, that we should stick with JFH, sign a Pole and realise that we're not so much rebuilding, but recovering!

And I still stand by those thoughts penned in early May.

We're clearly building from the back and as things currently stand, we look defensively solid: best pair of keepers and if Caulker sorts himself out/stays, then we are not going to concede much.

As for 'attacking' power, we have a lot of questions over everyone thereafter. Yes some need to show signs of starting to deliver and we also need to give new recruits time. The players sold on their best days, dwarf what those brought in are technically capable of doing at this stage of their careers. I remain hopeful that encouraged, developed and supported, the likes of Washington, Polter, Chery, Cousins et al, will deliver in time.

The ridiculous way the club has been run was shown last season: we started out aiming to consolidate and then several games in, decided to go for promotion. I think the club has become sensible and hopefully we can all pull/push at the same times and same directions.

A top 10 finish would be nice in my view. But hitting consistency, good play and performances has to be the minimum aim. We will be hard to beat, but we might find beating hard to do as well. If we did get a goalscorer in and if we maybe got another creative type/width, then maybe we could expect top 10.

However, so much depends on; our start, who is in our squad after the window shuts and, of crucial importance, the continued intelligence of the board and supporters! Its the latter group I am most concerned about and if that turns sour, then we could be in for some Brexit/referendum style situations in the terraces.

I ended my article saying that JFH needs a good pre-season, but it might actually be the case, that the pre-season we're realistically looking at, is in 2017.

So, in the final long-winded analysis: Toon and Narge will battle for the automatics. The usual suspects for the play-offs and relegation. I think we might be outside the play-offs but a good-start, a lucky arse striker and players reaching their potential....you know what, we might be pushing for a PO place come May.

8th-11th most likely.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Predictions For The Season? on 12:37 - Jul 25 with 1120 viewsCFW

Think in the past my expectations have always been to high and the end result is frankly I have not enjoyed the last two seasons. The premier league relegation was a total farce, we scored enough goals (thanks to Charlie) to stay up but could not defend. The way HR left the club was farcical and putting a youth team coach in charge kind of said it all.

The following season everyone knew CR was not going to last so that was a complete waste of time and by the time that was sorted yet another season of 'mediocre' has passed.

To be fair to LF and JFH we have started to re-building process a lot of dead wood has gone and 'on paper' the new additions look like the kind of players we want and need to sign. I was disappointed we kept Henry, not a good player and had the chance to say thanks and go. If we could somehow get rid of Sandro that would be better but not holding my breath.

Personally I would like Caulker to stay - looks a different player to me (from what I have seen pre-season) and at this level he should be a big player for us. Right back position bothers me but it bothers most people on this site. Everyone knows we need to strengthen in wide area's and up front but easier said than done.

So for me I agree with a lot of others on this site - we will be tough to beat but not sure at the moment we have enough firepower to win games. For those reasons (to date) mid-table for us. I just want to enjoy my football again and know that on a Saturday (or whatever day we play) we will be up for the game and do our very best. Not much to ask for is it?
Predictions For The Season? on 12:42 - Jul 25 with 1112 viewsHarbour

Need A few more signings especially to strengthen the attack with the team we have I think 9th is achievable . Not unhappy as want to see the club to continue to be run responsibly no more signing expensive duds on huge wages but go lower league hungry players who see rangers as step up. Hope for proper challenge next season like others expect to see lots of draws again!
Predictions For The Season? on 12:48 - Jul 25 with 1103 viewssimmo

Well compared to last season I'd say we're probably slightly worse in attack but better in defence. Our key players (Chery, Polter, etc) all looked much better 2nd half of last season which is encouraging and with an improved pre-season we shouldn't suffer the issues of a lack of fitness quite so much.

I still think the key will be finding a way to get the best out of Washington and making him the 15-20 goal a season striker we're missing. We haven't replaced Phillips goals and assists and that's an issue but not a devastating one. I'm going for slight improvement - 10th ish

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Predictions For The Season? on 13:08 - Jul 25 with 1084 viewshoof_hearted

We (almost) all agree the club's being run by people who understand us and football.

Not being beaten very often home or away and with a fair few home wins thrown in is play off form. The problem comes when we get sleepy crowds bored into moaning by way of passing the time (like so much of last season). If that turns the draws into defeats then we could be in trouble at the other end of the table.

Prediction: Pick a number anywhere between 3 and 21...eerrrrr...oh it's a nice day, 3rd.
Predictions For The Season? on 13:18 - Jul 25 with 1074 viewsYorkRanger

I suspect a flirtation with the Play offs with a finish somewhere just above mid-table.

The league looks stronger than ever this season. I dont think we have the depth or quality to challenge at the top, but should still have far too much for the lower half teams.

I'm hoping we will play decent football. I expect us to be hard to beat but I do hope that doesnt make the football turgid.

Overall I'm very happy that we are putting our house in order. If we have to spend a few years in the Championship so be it, at least we have a new badge

Predictions For The Season? on 13:18 - Jul 25 with 1074 viewsPinnerPaul

Seems like (most) expect the same

10th for me, with a goal scorer (20 a season man) play offs possible
Predictions For The Season? on 13:24 - Jul 25 with 1058 viewsdaveB

probably mid table but wouldn't be surprised if we got caught in a relegation battle. Really it all depends on who we sign in forward areas.

Is oddly similar to Warnocks promotion team at this stage of pre season as we look hard to beat but lack quality up front, He fixed that signing Adel, Tommy Smith, Hulse and later Routledge but can't see us getting that kind of quality this year
Login to get fewer ads

Predictions For The Season? on 13:46 - Jul 25 with 1043 viewsderbyhoop

I'm not going to deviate from what, to me, seems the consensus. We'll be hard to beat but won't score enough to be real contenders. I'd be happy with a small improvement on last year's 12th place.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Predictions For The Season? on 13:53 - Jul 25 with 1034 viewsNorthernr

As it stands I think we'll do well to finish even as high as we did last season. But I'd expect a few more signings yet so I'll revisit this towards the end of the transfer window.
Predictions For The Season? on 14:18 - Jul 25 with 1004 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great post by Honneywood above.

Like most, I think 10th-12th most likely. But if you have a good defence, then almost anything can happen. 1-0 wins can roll into something bigger. On the other hand, maybe our defence won't gel as we hope and we're all wrong. Who knows? Pre-season is a terrible time to make any predictions. I noticed someone on this thread worried that we didn;t score against Wycombe, which contravenes my most important rule of pre-season - never, ever, ever pay any attention to any pre-season result, or performance.

In contrast to some, it's less goalscorers I'm worried about, more goal-makers. Maligned as they were, Hoilett and Phillips were genuine threats. Even if they weren't scoring or assisting, they were threats who had to be dealt with. Their loss should not be under-estimated, even if long term it's probably for the best they've gone. As things stand, neither has been replaced.

but as Norf says, even two signings could make a huge difference - a wide player and a striker. But, generally, I'd be happy with mid-table, as long as we're moving forward in terms of continuity, style of play, wages down etc etc.

Bare bones.

Predictions For The Season? on 14:22 - Jul 25 with 1000 viewsDieByYourSide

Exactly Northern! Get a striker in pronto
[Post edited 25 Jul 2016 14:22]

Poll: And it's hi ho

Predictions For The Season? on 16:22 - Jul 26 with 914 viewshopphoops

I'm having no truck with all this realism. We'll be fourth.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Predictions For The Season? on 16:51 - Jul 26 with 894 viewsJAPRANGERS

I've been looking at my crystal balls again and I can tell you chaps that me balls tell me we will finish 2nd behind Noocahsal init?
Predictions For The Season? on 17:10 - Jul 26 with 875 viewsMytch_QPR

Predictions For The Season? on 16:22 - Jul 26 by hopphoops

I'm having no truck with all this realism. We'll be fourth.

Yeah. Yeah.... Yeah!!!!

Too much negative news at the moment, I'm with hopp on this. Fourth place and we'll beat Chelsea in the FA Cup - you read it here first.

Time for my medication.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Predictions For The Season? on 17:19 - Jul 26 with 740 viewsadhoc_qpr

As other have said, really depends on how the transfer window pans out.

Could of good signings in the weak areas (upfront, wing, fullback, midfield) and i'll probably be overly optimistic of playoff contention.

No signings/poor signings (ala Konch, Toszer and Perch last summer) and i'll be thinking lower mid-table with a relegation flirt if injuries strike or goals don't come.
Predictions For The Season? on 17:27 - Jul 26 with 731 viewshopphoops

Predictions For The Season? on 17:10 - Jul 26 by Mytch_QPR

Yeah. Yeah.... Yeah!!!!

Too much negative news at the moment, I'm with hopp on this. Fourth place and we'll beat Chelsea in the FA Cup - you read it here first.

Time for my medication.

the only downer will be that Chelsea got to the Final in the first place.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.

Predictions For The Season? on 17:37 - Jul 26 with 723 viewsQPR1882

14 / 15 Polter is not good enough and JFH does not fancy Washington up front for some reason. I can't see us scoring enough goals to get any higher up the league.
Predictions For The Season? on 17:49 - Jul 26 with 711 viewsBklynRanger

9th
Predictions For The Season? on 18:11 - Jul 26 with 701 viewsPey

Hoping for more but realistic anywhere between 10th and 15th
Predictions For The Season? on 19:31 - Jul 26 with 647 viewsLowerloftLad

11-16th
A second season of calm will do me very nicely thanks
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 19:31]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Predictions For The Season? on 20:00 - Jul 26 with 631 viewsDesertBoot

Probably the toughest Championship for several years.

6th-8th would be a great achievement, outside the top ten disappointment.

JFH finding a place for Polter, Washington and Chery on the pitch together would be fantastic.

Ten goals or more from a midfielder equally good.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Predictions For The Season? on 08:37 - Jul 27 with 565 viewshopphoops

We'll have two quality attacking players coming on loan in the last days before the season, one of them and El Khayati will score 30 goals between them.

Newcastle will slump to 16th before recovering marginally to 12th. Several Sports Direct warehouses will be burnt down.

Predictions For The Season? on 09:00 - Jul 27 with 552 viewsadhoc_qpr

Predictions For The Season? on 08:37 - Jul 27 by hopphoops

We'll have two quality attacking players coming on loan in the last days before the season, one of them and El Khayati will score 30 goals between them.

Newcastle will slump to 16th before recovering marginally to 12th. Several Sports Direct warehouses will be burnt down.

The last part is probably true but due to lax health and safety regulations at Sport Direct...
Predictions For The Season? on 09:02 - Jul 27 with 549 viewsMytch_QPR

Predictions For The Season? on 09:00 - Jul 27 by adhoc_qpr

The last part is probably true but due to lax health and safety regulations at Sport Direct...

But the staff would still be made to turn up for work and searched for any lumps of charcoal / debri as they clocked out.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024