Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky - good, bad or ugly 15:59 - Jul 25 with 2912 viewsCFW

More and more in recent weeks I have been having 'discussions' with friends, family and anyone else who wanted to join in about the influence Sky TV has had on our national game. To be fair to Sky sports everything it does is to a very high standard. The coverage of football, cricket, darts, motor racing is very, very good and I am like a lot of other people that really could not do without the Sky Sports channels.

So what is my point? Through the money invested in the game we are now in a situation where the gap between the Premier League is bigger than ever, the amount of money being paid to clubs and then onto the players is frankly obscene. We are now close to players being transferred into the Premiership for £100 million - sorry this is wrong, so, so wrong.

Not having a go at any other club because the club that I care about deeply have done exactly the same thing in recent years but teams like Palace, Bournmouth, Sunderland, West Brom are now bidding £30 or £40 million for players. Not only that the players they are bidding for are really not very good.

Our football clubs are being bought by foreign multi-millionaires who lets be honest know nothing about our game, the players or supporters. Clubs are rich mans toys till they get bored or finally realise that they will never ever get their money back or run out of money themselves.

Where does all this end? I have no idea but it is no good people keep on saying it is the best league in the world because it is not. We should look at the way the German Bundesliga is managed. Great stadiums, very well attended matches and no where near the amount of over paid 'costa kickable' players.

Our National game is in tatters which I do not blame Sky TV for but clubs do not produce home grown players anymore because it is easier to simply go out and buy them - we are in a sad situation and I cannot see any end to it.

In another thread I said that I had not enjoyed my football in the recent past - I wonder how many others feel the same about the way our game is and has gone.
Sky - good, bad or ugly on 09:44 - Jul 26 with 639 viewsDiscodroids

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 09:32 - Jul 26 by CamberleyR

His first game in charge, a 3-0 win at Wembley against Czechoslovakia (Dave Thomas came on as sub and made the first two IIRC) and a 2-0 Alan Hudson inspired win a few months later over world champions West Germany were probably the other highlights along with the 5-1 Scotland thrashing you mention a few months after that.

Sinificant that these were all within his first year in charge and it did go downhill soon after that. Probably also worth mentioning that he lost his two best midfielders, Gerry and Colin Bell within a few months of each other to long term injuries (Bell didn't really play again). Not defending Revie at all though as I remember he did make some bizarre selections and was a helpless tinkerer.

As I said though it was fine margins. Even with the bollocks that he made of the WC qualifying campaign, we were still only 2 or 3 goals short of qualifying at Italy's expense.

Agreed with both your posts on the england of the 70's and 80's Camberley. England had a very decent side in '82. We Casually Steamrolled France , the eventual unlucky semi final losers to West Germany on penalties. A French side containing Tresor, Tigana, Girersse, Platini and Rochteau in their prime .

Unbeaten in the 5 games we played, won 3 drawn 2 , and only a Glaring open goal miss by the 40% fit keegan against eventual finalists , West Germany in a nil nil draw sent us home. Im not saying we would have beaten Paulo Rossi's Italy or that wonderful but fragile Brazil side, but imo , the English 1982 squad was the finest in my lifetime as well as being the greatest world cup tournament.

A fit Keegan And Brooking would have seen us going very very close.

As for Sky / Virgin sports , I wouldnt bother if i was in my 20's and 30's and out and about. Now im a fossil and rarely venture from the house other than to the co op and work , it keeps me from having to sit in the front room with the Mrs and having to watch' location location location' and sundry cnts i dont know or ever will, or care about , buying properties i dont care about and the ins and outs of chancel tax, south facing gardens and halls a joining. so its a fackin lifeline for me.

In essence, Its sport for the masses in the coliseum to keep us entertained and take our minds off Fracking, 2 week bin collections and Prostrate troubles
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 10:02]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 10:28 - Jul 26 with 578 viewsbob566

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 09:44 - Jul 26 by Discodroids

Agreed with both your posts on the england of the 70's and 80's Camberley. England had a very decent side in '82. We Casually Steamrolled France , the eventual unlucky semi final losers to West Germany on penalties. A French side containing Tresor, Tigana, Girersse, Platini and Rochteau in their prime .

Unbeaten in the 5 games we played, won 3 drawn 2 , and only a Glaring open goal miss by the 40% fit keegan against eventual finalists , West Germany in a nil nil draw sent us home. Im not saying we would have beaten Paulo Rossi's Italy or that wonderful but fragile Brazil side, but imo , the English 1982 squad was the finest in my lifetime as well as being the greatest world cup tournament.

A fit Keegan And Brooking would have seen us going very very close.

As for Sky / Virgin sports , I wouldnt bother if i was in my 20's and 30's and out and about. Now im a fossil and rarely venture from the house other than to the co op and work , it keeps me from having to sit in the front room with the Mrs and having to watch' location location location' and sundry cnts i dont know or ever will, or care about , buying properties i dont care about and the ins and outs of chancel tax, south facing gardens and halls a joining. so its a fackin lifeline for me.

In essence, Its sport for the masses in the coliseum to keep us entertained and take our minds off Fracking, 2 week bin collections and Prostrate troubles
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 10:02]

just had a google. Extremely strong squad. The scots had an unbelievable team out there too.
Sky - good, bad or ugly on 10:51 - Jul 26 with 564 viewsDiscodroids

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 10:28 - Jul 26 by bob566

just had a google. Extremely strong squad. The scots had an unbelievable team out there too.

absolutely, the scots 1978 through to '86 had very strong squads. I seem to remember Alan Hansen not making the cut for 82/86 ?. I recall Aberdeen and Dundee utd having very successful runs in europe cup competitions during this time as well.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 10:56]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 10:58 - Jul 26 with 555 viewspaulparker

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 10:28 - Jul 26 by bob566

they did indeed, the Scotland teams of 78, 82 & 86 massively underachieved
Souness, Dalgliesh, Hansen, Wark, Brazil, John Robertson , Strachan, Asa Hartford , Danny Mcgrain , Archibald how the hell did they not get to a QF in 82
also Northern Ireland had a good team but then again all of these players were first choice for their clubs and didn't have foreign players to contend with

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 11:18 - Jul 26 with 529 viewsfrancisbowles

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 09:32 - Jul 26 by CamberleyR

His first game in charge, a 3-0 win at Wembley against Czechoslovakia (Dave Thomas came on as sub and made the first two IIRC) and a 2-0 Alan Hudson inspired win a few months later over world champions West Germany were probably the other highlights along with the 5-1 Scotland thrashing you mention a few months after that.

Sinificant that these were all within his first year in charge and it did go downhill soon after that. Probably also worth mentioning that he lost his two best midfielders, Gerry and Colin Bell within a few months of each other to long term injuries (Bell didn't really play again). Not defending Revie at all though as I remember he did make some bizarre selections and was a helpless tinkerer.

As I said though it was fine margins. Even with the bollocks that he made of the WC qualifying campaign, we were still only 2 or 3 goals short of qualifying at Italy's expense.

I seem to remember we may also have lost Colin Todd, Roy McFarland, Kevin Beatie and David Nish.

What do you remember about these Camberley (or anyone else on here)?
Sky - good, bad or ugly on 12:11 - Jul 26 with 506 viewsCamberleyR

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 11:18 - Jul 26 by francisbowles

I seem to remember we may also have lost Colin Todd, Roy McFarland, Kevin Beatie and David Nish.

What do you remember about these Camberley (or anyone else on here)?

Kevin Beattie was another whose career, particularly his international career, was blighted by injury. His club manager Bobby Robson compared him to Duncan Edwards. I seem to remember Todd and McFarland being victims of Revie's tinkering being in one game and dropped the next.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Sky - good, bad or ugly on 12:40 - Jul 26 with 469 viewswhittocksRs

As with everything the Murdoch family invests in, the product is absolutely brilliant and kills the competition, but is there entirely to squeeze out every drop of profit possible. Socially, Sky Sports has been atrocious for the game, and it has been a disaster for the national team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024