Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Zagreb nice? 17:38 - Jul 27 with 2771 viewsBklynRanger

Would you consider living there? Or any other parts of Croatia? Looking for somewhere with a bit of life and culture that you don't need a car (and outside the Schengen Treaty area but I won't go into that...)
Is Zagreb nice? on 18:30 - Jul 27 with 2731 viewsBoston

Dubrovnik.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Is Zagreb nice? on 18:44 - Jul 27 with 2702 viewsdanehoop

Zagreb is very reasonable and a good base for the rest of the region. Politics of the place is a bit odd, but most things are available. English is reasonably well spoken by the under 40's, but German is more prevalent amongst the older generations. If Croatia is your choice then Dubrovnik and Split are quite nice as well.

Ljubljana in neighbouring Slovenia is, in my opinion, a much nicer city and probably a bit friendlier although just seen that they are in Schengen now. Still, it is just over an hour or so away from Zagreb, so not far. Also allows easy access to Italy and Austria which can be good for shopping. English is more widely spoken than Zagreb.

Another nice place that is small, but nicely formed is Montenegro. Podgorica the capital used to be a glam place in the 20's and 30's. Largely escaped the Bosnian conflict and started to get back on track in past 5-10 years as it looked to establish its own identity away from Serbia towards the EU.

Never knowingly understood

Is Zagreb nice? on 19:00 - Jul 27 with 2684 viewsBklynRanger

Li'l Montenegro - I could pretend I was the great Gatsby. Thanks Dane, very useful stuff.
Is Zagreb nice? on 22:34 - Jul 27 with 2521 viewsIrishR

I was very very impressed with Croatia. Forget Zagreb and get to Plitvice National park, its breathtaking, its where the war started as the Serbs saw it as the jewel in the crown I think. A little further south and go to Zadar and Nin(Stay in the old town or close by) both are cool places to stay for a few days then further south again to Dubrovnik.

If you like the outdoors go to Plitvice its amazing and you will not be disappointed.

http://www.np-plitvicka-jezera.hr/en/
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plitvice+lakes&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zadar+croatia&biw=1242&bih=585&source=lnms&tbm
Is Zagreb nice? on 00:15 - Jul 28 with 2451 viewsSonofNorfolt

No, Brookers, Zagreb is pretty unremarkable, and Podgorica is no better, although the Montenegrin coast at Budva and Kotor is great, and cheaper than much of Croatia for the moment.
Don't show 'em your Arkan tattoo either.
Is Zagreb nice? on 06:16 - Jul 28 with 2402 viewsfinesse

I live in Zagreb, it's awesome. It's a decent sized city but you don't need a car. Pretty much everyone speaks English very well. Dubrovnik is full of tourists and people ripping off tourists. The more educated and liberal people are from Zagreb and Istria.
Is Zagreb nice? on 08:48 - Jul 28 with 2341 viewsRBlock

I was in Split recently and it is absolutely beautiful. Then went down to Tisno which is nice, but had there not been a festival on, I can imagine there wouldn't be much to do at all.
Is Zagreb nice? on 11:13 - Jul 28 with 2286 viewsBklynRanger

Some very learned and sophisticated viewpoints as always friends.

A couple more questions for you Finesse if you have a minute (I can PM if it's easier):

What's the cost of living like in Zagreb? I've seen a lot of places to rent for 600-700 Euros a month, but what about daily life - eating, drinking, transport etc?

What's Zagreb like in the winter - Nov to Jan sort of time?

Thanks.
Login to get fewer ads

Is Zagreb nice? on 12:28 - Jul 28 with 2247 viewsFredManRave

Is Zagreb nice? on 11:13 - Jul 28 by BklynRanger

Some very learned and sophisticated viewpoints as always friends.

A couple more questions for you Finesse if you have a minute (I can PM if it's easier):

What's the cost of living like in Zagreb? I've seen a lot of places to rent for 600-700 Euros a month, but what about daily life - eating, drinking, transport etc?

What's Zagreb like in the winter - Nov to Jan sort of time?

Thanks.

You're asking advice from a Rangers fan with SWP in his avatar?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Is Zagreb nice? on 12:33 - Jul 28 with 2237 viewsBklynRanger

Is Zagreb nice? on 12:28 - Jul 28 by FredManRave

You're asking advice from a Rangers fan with SWP in his avatar?!

Nothing wrong with a bit of overtly sexual irony.
Is Zagreb nice? on 14:09 - Jul 28 with 2177 viewsheadhoops

Brooklyn - been going to Croatia for a number of years - discovered it by accident. Dubrovnik is mainly a tourist trap. The locals rent out their homes in high season and only live there for 3-4 months a year.
The waterfalls are breathtaking as is most of the coastline, especially Istralla in the north. The island of Hvar is very trendy, however, our favourite is Rovinj especially dinner at the Monte.
People are always friendly, polite and good company.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Is Zagreb nice? on 17:08 - Jul 28 with 2109 viewsBklynRanger

Cheers Head, much appreciated.
Is Zagreb nice? on 17:24 - Jul 28 with 2091 viewsKonk

I've never been to Zagreb, but on Croatia in general, we drove down the coastal road from Slovenia all the way down to Split to watch Fulham (when we ruled Europe). Stunning coastline all the way down, looked absolutely beautiful. Split itself was really nice too.

Since then, I've been to Dubrovnik, which was pretty, but swamped with tourists.

On both trips, I found the locals to be friendly, the food had a heavy Italian slant, and I'd definitely like to see more of the country. Along with Slovenia, it seemed to be considerably wealthier than Serbia, BiH and the bits of Montenegro we saw away from Kotor and Budva (which as SoN says, are well worth a visit if you're in that neck of the woods).

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Is Zagreb nice? on 17:31 - Jul 28 with 2084 viewsfinesse

Not sure how big a place you are looking for, but for 2 people 500 euros should get you a very nice apartment in a good location.
Beer costs about £1.50 - and there's a lot of good beer if you know where to go.
Single Tram and bus tickets cost £1, not sure about longer passes, but not expensive.
Food prices in shops are similar to UK, but restaurants/takeaways are way cheaper.
Winter gets snow, but Croatians like their lights and Christmas stuff, so it's very pretty.
Is Zagreb nice? on 17:45 - Jul 28 with 2074 viewsfinesse

PM me if you need more info or help, i lurk here most of the time.
Is Zagreb nice? on 19:00 - Jul 28 with 2037 viewsBklynRanger

Is Zagreb nice? on 17:45 - Jul 28 by finesse

PM me if you need more info or help, i lurk here most of the time.

Cheers mate.
Is Zagreb nice? on 23:33 - Jul 28 with 1958 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

No, it's not Nice. Nice is French.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024