Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olympics 09:44 - Aug 4 with 18729 viewsRoller

Ignoring the pointless controversy that some sections of the media are trying to stir up over the selection of Andy Murray as the British flag bearer in the opening ceremony, tomorrow sees the official start of the Rio Olympics. I fully expect to enjoy the “festival of sport” and to thoroughly enjoy watch a whole series of sports the I would otherwise not give the time of day to. QPRSki put me onto handball before the London Olympics four years ago, it is a frenetic but very skilful sport, well worth watching if you have never done so. Outside of the usual diet of athletics, cycling, rowing etc, I’ve found myself watching bowls, yachting, even archery.

However, I will not be watching golf, tennis nor football. I firmly believe that these sports should not be included, the Olympics should only feature sports where winning the Olympic gold medal is the pinnacle of the sportsman’s or sportswoman’s career; that will never be the case with these sports.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2016 9:45]
Olympics on 10:03 - Aug 4 with 4094 viewsQPR_John

Interesting that you think Tennis should not be in the Olympics and I agree but say that the controversy over Andy Murray is pointless. Surely the flag bearer should represent a sport that really belongs in the Olympics.
Olympics on 10:15 - Aug 4 with 4072 viewsAntti_Heinola

The idea that anyone cares who should hold a flag is pretty funny. Even if the glorious Jess should be doing it.
Love the Olympics though. Brilliant doc about the 2012 opening ceremony on iplayer at the moment well worth watching - Yentob hardly gets a word in, so that's particularly good. Danny Boyle is a legend.
As the OP says, i'm looking forward to a feast of sport I watch on a... squannual? quatre-annual? Fournnual? basis - table tennis, handball, swimming... Really looking forward to Velodrome action - shame the massive thighs of Chris Hoy won't be there anymore.

Bare bones.

Olympics on 10:45 - Aug 4 with 4034 viewsToast_R

So much to see and not enough time to see it.
I will probably watch Fulham v Newcastle tomorrow and if the beers are going down well, I'll make myself stay up late enough to watch the opening ceremony at midnight.

I've a crate of beer in the fridge with 10 pilsner beer glasses lined up in the freezer. That's how I roll.
Olympics on 10:51 - Aug 4 with 4029 viewsBrightonhoop

Quite enjoy the Intro sports, like Tae Kwon Do in Souel a few years back, although it was not a brilliant standard.

I guess due to the time difference some of the best sports are always on late at night. Quite looking forwards to it this time.
Olympics on 10:54 - Aug 4 with 4025 viewsSnipper

Olympics on 10:15 - Aug 4 by Antti_Heinola

The idea that anyone cares who should hold a flag is pretty funny. Even if the glorious Jess should be doing it.
Love the Olympics though. Brilliant doc about the 2012 opening ceremony on iplayer at the moment well worth watching - Yentob hardly gets a word in, so that's particularly good. Danny Boyle is a legend.
As the OP says, i'm looking forward to a feast of sport I watch on a... squannual? quatre-annual? Fournnual? basis - table tennis, handball, swimming... Really looking forward to Velodrome action - shame the massive thighs of Chris Hoy won't be there anymore.

What's the doc called Antti?
Olympics on 10:57 - Aug 4 with 4012 viewsRoller

Olympics on 10:03 - Aug 4 by QPR_John

Interesting that you think Tennis should not be in the Olympics and I agree but say that the controversy over Andy Murray is pointless. Surely the flag bearer should represent a sport that really belongs in the Olympics.

The controversy is over him being a white male, not a tennis player.
Olympics on 10:58 - Aug 4 with 4011 viewsrobith

I was really anti the London Olympics by the time it came round - business in my local area (host borough) being harassed by the IOC, tickets were a sham, predicted transport choas.

But my wife got us tickets for the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony as she works for Hackney council. And my opinion sharply changed. I remember being sat there and said to her "Imagine if they used some obscure British band like F**k Buttons or something", only for Surf Solar by them to soundtrack the opening video. Cried like a child on the night watching the full thing on telly. It was absolutely 10/10 incredible. One of the moments of my life.

The less said about the closing ceremony the better though
Olympics on 11:35 - Aug 4 with 3978 viewsAntti_Heinola

Olympics on 10:54 - Aug 4 by Snipper

What's the doc called Antti?

'imagine' from yentob's imagine series - search for it on iplayer and it'll come up. but as I said, thankfully Yentob's barely in it. Really uplifting and a real focus on the volunteers.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Olympics on 11:43 - Aug 4 with 3965 viewsbob566

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/28/the-olympics-are-dead-why-should-a
Olympics on 12:12 - Aug 4 with 3928 viewsCanadaRanger

According to swimmers, "Antibiotics will probably be considered a performance enhancing drug at this year's Olympics."
Olympics on 12:21 - Aug 4 with 3916 viewsBoston

Stopped having any real interest in the Olympics in my late teens when it became apparent that sportsmen and women were really competing for who could take the best drugs and not be discovered,

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Olympics on 14:01 - Aug 4 with 3850 viewsMonahoop

I'd love it if they bought back pistol duelling. Then I might show an interest. But alas they won't, so it's two weeks of competitive or cheating [ you choose ] boredom.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Olympics on 14:27 - Aug 4 with 3812 viewsdaveB

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/04/andy-murrays-hilariously-struggle
Olympics on 15:22 - Aug 4 with 3772 viewskensalriser

Olympics on 12:21 - Aug 4 by Boston

Stopped having any real interest in the Olympics in my late teens when it became apparent that sportsmen and women were really competing for who could take the best drugs and not be discovered,

Not a fan of the East German women's weightlifting endeavours then?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Olympics on 15:46 - Aug 4 with 3746 viewsSimonJames

At age 29 Usain Bolt should be at his peak; I hope injury doesn't prevent that.

Also, I will mainly be watching for the lovely Jessica... and Michelle Jenneke's warm up.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Olympics on 21:21 - Aug 4 with 3622 viewsHantsR

Olympics on 10:15 - Aug 4 by Antti_Heinola

The 2012 opening ceremony was a wonderful work of art.

Someone on the BBC2 Imagine documentary said that it was "a love song to the UK"; gushy I know but that ceremony really hit the spot for me. Green and pleasant land, Pandemonium, Happy and Glorious, Second from the right ...it was simply one stunning delight after the other.

It was such an imaginative production that showed what a rich and colourful heritage we have - Danny Boyle brought all elements together in a way that anyone who cares about this country could only look on with pride and humility.

Not staying in to watch the Rio opening ceremony though, bet it's all samba and carnival and there's only so much of that I can take. Would like to be proved wrong.
Olympics on 22:50 - Aug 4 with 3552 viewsted_hendrix

Love the track and field, I remember the battles between Ovett and Coe, I seem to recall watching Linford Christie in the 100 metres final I think it was and his concentration and focus before the start was phenomenal.
The final of the 4 X 100 metres and the 4 X 400 metres are a joy to watch, years of training could all count for nothing in a split second.
Quite took to those boat races last time too.
Javelin, pole vault and most field events are worth watching, the finals though not the qualifying.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Olympics on 23:03 - Aug 4 with 3543 viewsNortholt_Rs

Olympics on 22:50 - Aug 4 by ted_hendrix

Love the track and field, I remember the battles between Ovett and Coe, I seem to recall watching Linford Christie in the 100 metres final I think it was and his concentration and focus before the start was phenomenal.
The final of the 4 X 100 metres and the 4 X 400 metres are a joy to watch, years of training could all count for nothing in a split second.
Quite took to those boat races last time too.
Javelin, pole vault and most field events are worth watching, the finals though not the qualifying.

Typical norfolt glory 'unter!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Olympics on 04:47 - Aug 5 with 3461 viewsMatch82

Olympics on 21:21 - Aug 4 by HantsR

The 2012 opening ceremony was a wonderful work of art.

Someone on the BBC2 Imagine documentary said that it was "a love song to the UK"; gushy I know but that ceremony really hit the spot for me. Green and pleasant land, Pandemonium, Happy and Glorious, Second from the right ...it was simply one stunning delight after the other.

It was such an imaginative production that showed what a rich and colourful heritage we have - Danny Boyle brought all elements together in a way that anyone who cares about this country could only look on with pride and humility.

Not staying in to watch the Rio opening ceremony though, bet it's all samba and carnival and there's only so much of that I can take. Would like to be proved wrong.

Prevailing opinion over here in the States was that it was cr@p. My opinion however was that it was phenomenal and I was very pleased to have some fellow brits to watch it with to drown out the noise of moaning Americans asking what was going on. If the rest of the world didn't like it, fck em
Olympics on 10:13 - Aug 5 with 3373 viewsjohncharles

Drug testing will be the major event. Accompanied by ludicrously "patriotic" commentators.
I think I'll give it a miss.

Strong and stable my arse.

Olympics on 10:16 - Aug 5 with 3372 viewsAntti_Heinola

Comms in the Olympics is some of the best around IMO. Cram is superb, the rowing guy is always great value, usually get a bit of Barry Davies somewhere and I find it's pretty even handed. Delighted with British medals, but celebratory of all winners, really. Plus Michael Johnson and Denise Lewis always excellent. Jonathan Edwards has become very good too.

Bare bones.

Olympics on 11:38 - Aug 5 with 3339 viewsisawqpratwcity

You can jam the Olympics firmly up your clacker.

Luckily I have a good collection of DVD box sets to catch up on.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Olympics on 12:14 - Aug 5 with 3310 viewsAntti_Heinola

Olympics on 11:38 - Aug 5 by isawqpratwcity

You can jam the Olympics firmly up your clacker.

Luckily I have a good collection of DVD box sets to catch up on.

thanks for that.

Bare bones.

Olympics on 12:25 - Aug 5 with 3294 viewsKonk

Olympics on 10:58 - Aug 4 by robith

I was really anti the London Olympics by the time it came round - business in my local area (host borough) being harassed by the IOC, tickets were a sham, predicted transport choas.

But my wife got us tickets for the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony as she works for Hackney council. And my opinion sharply changed. I remember being sat there and said to her "Imagine if they used some obscure British band like F**k Buttons or something", only for Surf Solar by them to soundtrack the opening video. Cried like a child on the night watching the full thing on telly. It was absolutely 10/10 incredible. One of the moments of my life.

The less said about the closing ceremony the better though

As you say, the opening ceremony was generally fantastic. Opening ceremonies are normally absolute bobbins (Euro 96), so I was amazed and proud that it was actually really good. The closing ceremony though...fu cking dreadful. It was like they got the dullest person in your office who has bought three (sh it) albums in the past twenty years to curate it. Terrible.

My favourite thing about the Olympics is watching everyone get into any sport where there's a sniff of GB medal glory. That young lad with the shooting in 2012 was a brilliant example - everyone in my office disappearing to watch him on the telly, discussing who he had to watch out for, who they fancied as a dark horse etc when a couple of days before they wouldn't have been able to tell you which end of a gun to point at the target.

I got massively into the mixed Badminton at the last Olympics (or was it Athens?) when we did really well - watched some of it in our kitchen at work and even shouted out, "Oh, you fu cking cu nt!" when the bloke cocked-up on a crucial point - which isn't standard behaviour in our office. Obviously I've now forgotten the players names, the rules etc, but for a week or so, Badminton was my life.

Rowing with Steve Redgrave was a great example - I remember the who pub emptying early as people went home to watch him in Sydney(?). Who normally gives a fu ck about rowing? And the greatest example of all, Torville & Dean, Sarajevo '84, when all my mate's hairy arsed Dads suddenly became experts in the field of Ice skating. Magic.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2016 12:31]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Olympics on 12:58 - Aug 5 with 3250 viewsisawqpratwcity

Olympics on 12:14 - Aug 5 by Antti_Heinola

thanks for that.

De nada.

Knock yourself out getting excited over sports nobody gives a flying fck about for 206 out of every 208 weeks, as long as 'we' win and it adds to the tally.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024