Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olympics 09:44 - Aug 4 with 18745 viewsRoller

Ignoring the pointless controversy that some sections of the media are trying to stir up over the selection of Andy Murray as the British flag bearer in the opening ceremony, tomorrow sees the official start of the Rio Olympics. I fully expect to enjoy the “festival of sport” and to thoroughly enjoy watch a whole series of sports the I would otherwise not give the time of day to. QPRSki put me onto handball before the London Olympics four years ago, it is a frenetic but very skilful sport, well worth watching if you have never done so. Outside of the usual diet of athletics, cycling, rowing etc, I’ve found myself watching bowls, yachting, even archery.

However, I will not be watching golf, tennis nor football. I firmly believe that these sports should not be included, the Olympics should only feature sports where winning the Olympic gold medal is the pinnacle of the sportsman’s or sportswoman’s career; that will never be the case with these sports.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2016 9:45]
Olympics on 14:21 - Aug 17 with 2193 viewsMrSheen

Olympics on 22:06 - Aug 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks man. I wouldn't pretend to be a boxing fan but my heart goes out to that lad. He worked four years for that only to be cheated. Utterly, utterly cheated. I normally prefer sportspeople to be diplomatic but I find it very hard to blame Conlon for that interview in the immediate aftermath and for the middle finger he aimed at the judges.

Pat Hickey showing the footwork that eluded Katie Taylor.
Olympics on 16:00 - Aug 17 with 2115 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Olympics on 17:29 - Aug 16 by Discodroids

Not been a good week for the Conors of this world.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Olympics on 16:33 - Aug 17 with 2068 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pat Hickey, Olympic Council of Ireland's president, has been arrested! I just heard.

Brilliant news.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Olympics on 16:39 - Aug 17 with 2047 viewsMrSheen

Olympics on 16:33 - Aug 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Pat Hickey, Olympic Council of Ireland's president, has been arrested! I just heard.

Brilliant news.

I can understand why he was so slippery with the minister now. The athletes may be finding it hard to compete, but the administration is top-table sleaze.
Olympics on 17:12 - Aug 17 with 2012 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Olympics on 16:39 - Aug 17 by MrSheen

I can understand why he was so slippery with the minister now. The athletes may be finding it hard to compete, but the administration is top-table sleaze.

There's still a sliver of sleaze in Ireland. We're beginning to tackle it but it should have happened a long time ago. It's common in post-colonial Countries that it takes time for the citizens to realise that the law is now their law and that corruption is corruption against them rather than against the big bad empire that they're used to thumbing their noses too. But it's taken us too long.

Hickey had to be tackled and it's just a shame that another Country got to him first.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Olympics on 19:22 - Aug 17 with 1971 viewsBoston

Olympics on 17:12 - Aug 17 by BrianMcCarthy

There's still a sliver of sleaze in Ireland. We're beginning to tackle it but it should have happened a long time ago. It's common in post-colonial Countries that it takes time for the citizens to realise that the law is now their law and that corruption is corruption against them rather than against the big bad empire that they're used to thumbing their noses too. But it's taken us too long.

Hickey had to be tackled and it's just a shame that another Country got to him first.

Good to know that these type of spivs don't exist in Great Britain.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Olympics on 21:48 - Aug 17 with 1923 viewsdistortR

Oh, so it's our fault is it?

Well, you can do one, this is on you lot.

Olympics on 22:32 - Aug 17 with 1904 viewsMrSheen

I tripped over coming out of the Munster hurling final in Cork a few years ago (it had been a long day) and I was surrounded by people offering to be my witness if I sued the council. They were amazed when I declined. They wanted me to take money off them.

GB cruising into the final of women's Protestant hurling, 3-0 up on NZ with a few minutes to go.
Login to get fewer ads

Olympics on 23:06 - Aug 17 with 1877 viewsDorse

Quite a (ahem) pole vault...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37103648

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Olympics on 11:21 - Aug 18 with 1837 viewsTacticalR

Olympics on 15:59 - Aug 13 by Roller

Bucket loads of golds to Team GB in rowing and cycling - are there any other sports you can win sitting down?

Novel writing

Air hostess clique

Olympics on 14:06 - Aug 18 with 1771 viewsMick_S

The female hammer champ from Poland has 9 boiled eggs for breakfast.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Olympics on 14:34 - Aug 18 with 1748 viewsLongsufferingR

Olympics on 14:06 - Aug 18 by Mick_S

That's what makes her such a cracking athlete. We should try and poach her.
Olympics on 19:47 - Aug 18 with 1683 viewsjohncharles

Olympics on 14:06 - Aug 18 by Mick_S

I wouldn't like to sit behind her on the bus

Strong and stable my arse.

Olympics on 11:20 - Aug 19 with 1601 viewsDiscodroids

Medal Table Looking good for Team GB this morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/18/eu-puts-itself-at-the-top-of-rio-

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Olympics on 21:20 - Aug 19 with 1507 viewsToast_R

My wife and I are watching the ladies GB hockey team in their final with the Dutch at the moment. I don't mind this instead of Man uC@nted v Soton. The wife used to be a GK for a while for a local club so a sport she actually takes an intersst in. Took some knocks in her time.

Doing well - 1 up at the 1st quarter.
Olympics on 22:30 - Aug 19 with 1466 viewsLongsufferingR

Olympics on 21:20 - Aug 19 by Toast_R

My wife and I are watching the ladies GB hockey team in their final with the Dutch at the moment. I don't mind this instead of Man uC@nted v Soton. The wife used to be a GK for a while for a local club so a sport she actually takes an intersst in. Took some knocks in her time.

Doing well - 1 up at the 1st quarter.

Me too. Perfect example of why we shouldn't have video referrals in football.
Olympics on 22:34 - Aug 19 with 1457 viewsToast_R

Olympics on 22:30 - Aug 19 by LongsufferingR

Pens it is. How good is Maddie Hinch in goal for GB though? Different class.
Olympics on 22:35 - Aug 19 with 1457 viewsW14Hoop

Olympics on 22:30 - Aug 19 by LongsufferingR

Tense - Now a penalty shootout - Come on girls!
Olympics on 22:40 - Aug 19 with 1448 viewsLongsufferingR

....and now a penalty in the penalty shootout! Great stuff.
Olympics on 22:43 - Aug 19 with 1438 viewsW14Hoop

Olympics on 22:40 - Aug 19 by LongsufferingR

....and now a penalty in the penalty shootout! Great stuff.

YES!!!!
Olympics on 22:44 - Aug 19 with 1436 viewsLongsufferingR

Brilliant. Anybody else think that penalty format is worth trying in football shoot-outs?
Olympics on 22:45 - Aug 19 with 1433 viewsDWQPR

Olympics on 22:43 - Aug 19 by W14Hoop

YES!!!!

CHAMPIONES, CHAMPIONES, olé, olé, olé

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Olympics on 22:49 - Aug 19 with 1417 viewsMrSheen

Olympics on 22:44 - Aug 19 by LongsufferingR

Brilliant. Anybody else think that penalty format is worth trying in football shoot-outs?

Didn't they have it in the old American NASL to settle draws?
Olympics on 22:51 - Aug 19 with 1402 viewsDWQPR

That's one muvver of a podium for the presentation for the hockey players!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Olympics on 22:52 - Aug 19 with 1401 viewsnix

What an achievement. Won eight games out of eight (if penalty shoot out included). Beat the world champions and winner of last two gold medals in the final. Several of the girls with bashed up faces after injuries in earlier rounds. Fabulous effort.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024