Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olympics 09:44 - Aug 4 with 18728 viewsRoller

Ignoring the pointless controversy that some sections of the media are trying to stir up over the selection of Andy Murray as the British flag bearer in the opening ceremony, tomorrow sees the official start of the Rio Olympics. I fully expect to enjoy the “festival of sport” and to thoroughly enjoy watch a whole series of sports the I would otherwise not give the time of day to. QPRSki put me onto handball before the London Olympics four years ago, it is a frenetic but very skilful sport, well worth watching if you have never done so. Outside of the usual diet of athletics, cycling, rowing etc, I’ve found myself watching bowls, yachting, even archery.

However, I will not be watching golf, tennis nor football. I firmly believe that these sports should not be included, the Olympics should only feature sports where winning the Olympic gold medal is the pinnacle of the sportsman’s or sportswoman’s career; that will never be the case with these sports.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2016 9:45]
Olympics on 22:52 - Aug 19 with 1710 viewsLblock

Jolly bl00dy hockey sticks!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Olympics on 22:57 - Aug 19 with 1691 viewsflynnbo

A great achievement!
Olympics on 22:59 - Aug 19 with 1685 viewsTheBlob

Joe Joyce looked very good in the super heavyweight boxing semi final despite being behind in the first round(as expected).Practically folded his opponent in half with some of the body shots.Even though he was well on top you half expected another dodgy decision.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Olympics on 22:59 - Aug 19 with 1684 viewsToast_R

Pissing this Olympics lark.

Great result for those girls. Saying its the biggest result ever for British womens sport. Wow.
Olympics on 23:00 - Aug 19 with 1676 viewsflynnbo

Should have had Fives as a sport eh Toast?
Olympics on 23:10 - Aug 19 with 1656 viewsToast_R

Olympics on 23:00 - Aug 19 by flynnbo

Should have had Fives as a sport eh Toast?

Them were the days. I bet they're still using those same gloves to this day.
Olympics on 00:10 - Aug 20 with 1575 viewsHunterhoop

Olympics on 22:52 - Aug 19 by nix

What an achievement. Won eight games out of eight (if penalty shoot out included). Beat the world champions and winner of last two gold medals in the final. Several of the girls with bashed up faces after injuries in earlier rounds. Fabulous effort.

Exactly.

Phenomenal achievement and phenomenal team spirit.

Could...could be one of the all time great results of British sports if it has a big impact of female sport participation. Fingers crossed.
Olympics on 00:23 - Aug 20 with 1554 viewsMrSheen

I can't normally stand more than 30 seconds of basketball, but I love watching Aussies getting smashed. Pitiful.
Login to get fewer ads

Olympics on 07:38 - Aug 20 with 1513 viewsLblock

Couldn't stay up to watch our man in the 80kg taekwondo final and just awoke to the gutting news he lost in the last second with the last kick. Seems a really nice fella.

All eyes on Joe Joyce in the boxing for me now. Another bloke I'd not heard of before this tournament and seems a well grounded bloke.
Good luck to Nicola Adams at 6:00pm today - hope she bashes the frog and I'll be watching in The Queen Adelaide post match

Took a while to catch fire for me these Olympics, and the empty venues are a scandal, but aren't we doing awfully well?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Olympics on 08:29 - Aug 20 with 1481 views18StoneOfHoop

Olympics on 07:38 - Aug 20 by Lblock

Couldn't stay up to watch our man in the 80kg taekwondo final and just awoke to the gutting news he lost in the last second with the last kick. Seems a really nice fella.

All eyes on Joe Joyce in the boxing for me now. Another bloke I'd not heard of before this tournament and seems a well grounded bloke.
Good luck to Nicola Adams at 6:00pm today - hope she bashes the frog and I'll be watching in The Queen Adelaide post match

Took a while to catch fire for me these Olympics, and the empty venues are a scandal, but aren't we doing awfully well?

Spot on Lblock! That's a top post I can 100% categorically agree with.

Was pissing myself laughing at half dopey,half clever Anthony Joshua's ringside analysis too.

Come on Joe Joyce and Nicola Adams, and FFS concentrate till the final second!
We'll be throwing victory bottles from outside the Connie up to the Addy if Nic wins at 6:15pmish
[Post edited 20 Aug 2016 10:00]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Olympics on 09:36 - Aug 20 with 1528 viewsDWQPR

Olympics on 07:38 - Aug 20 by Lblock

The half empty venues are pretty much a feature of all Olympic games except for one........London. Never forget the first morning of the Athletics, nothing but preliminary heats on offer and at 9am the Olympic Stadium was rammed with 90,000 spectators. You have to say that nobody has done an Olympics like we did and probably never will until they return. And with regards to the medal haul, once against shows how well we punch above our weight. And the foreigners hate it. Was reading an article on the BBC website and they were picking up on some real snide remarks, such as that we were only winning things that the Russians were banned in, really? And the 'great, Aussie female cyclist Anna Meares also put her tuppence worth in about our cycling success. Bad losers, the lot of them. What we have excelled at we are good at and have been building programmes for over two decades, mainly with lottery funding and identifying some very talented athletes and long may it last.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Olympics on 10:02 - Aug 20 with 1507 viewsHooparoo

Olympics on 00:23 - Aug 20 by MrSheen

I can't normally stand more than 30 seconds of basketball, but I love watching Aussies getting smashed. Pitiful.

I find it funny that you poms are so obsessed about what the Aussies do. I can assure you that we don't care about what Britain does at the Olympics.

We should all just appreciate good sports and forget about the nationalism.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Olympics on 10:14 - Aug 20 with 1497 viewsTheBlob

Olympics on 10:02 - Aug 20 by Hooparoo

I find it funny that you poms are so obsessed about what the Aussies do. I can assure you that we don't care about what Britain does at the Olympics.

We should all just appreciate good sports and forget about the nationalism.

I think that's an antipodean tongue firmly in cheek there mate.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Olympics on 10:26 - Aug 20 with 1491 viewsHooparoo

Olympics on 10:14 - Aug 20 by TheBlob

I think that's an antipodean tongue firmly in cheek there mate.

Maybe I'm not typical of most Aussies but I like sport for what it is and don't really get caught up in all this jingoism. Tennis is a classic example - who cares what country the players are from?

At the World Cup of course I want Australia to win but I appreciate all the other teams too.

Olympics on 11:06 - Aug 20 with 1465 viewsDWQPR

Olympics on 10:26 - Aug 20 by Hooparoo

Maybe I'm not typical of most Aussies but I like sport for what it is and don't really get caught up in all this jingoism. Tennis is a classic example - who cares what country the players are from?

At the World Cup of course I want Australia to win but I appreciate all the other teams too.

Mate, there has always been an intense sporting rivalry between our nations, a healthy one and one where when opportunity arises we make sure that the other one knows who is in pole position. Oz as a nation in terms of population like us punch above their weight as do the Kiwis. But ultimately we are all brothers in arms when push comes to shove and you know it. You retain the monarchy and the Union Jack in the corner of your flag. And of course a fair number of you know which football team to support. However, if I can say one thing. Up yours Anna Meares you sour old bag!

Olympics on 11:49 - Aug 20 with 1443 viewsHooparoo

Olympics on 11:06 - Aug 20 by DWQPR

Mate, there has always been an intense sporting rivalry between our nations, a healthy one and one where when opportunity arises we make sure that the other one knows who is in pole position. Oz as a nation in terms of population like us punch above their weight as do the Kiwis. But ultimately we are all brothers in arms when push comes to shove and you know it. You retain the monarchy and the Union Jack in the corner of your flag. And of course a fair number of you know which football team to support. However, if I can say one thing. Up yours Anna Meares you sour old bag!

I get the rivalry and the banter is good fun but I still think that too much patriotism ruins the Olympics or, as Samuel Johnson once said: " Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels".

Olympics on 11:58 - Aug 20 with 1435 viewspeejaybee

Olympics on 11:49 - Aug 20 by Hooparoo

I get the rivalry and the banter is good fun but I still think that too much patriotism ruins the Olympics or, as Samuel Johnson once said: " Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels".

We Brits have always been well known scoundrels,As per Sir Terry Thomas.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Olympics on 12:26 - Aug 20 with 1403 viewsDWQPR

That's because inside you know that you are a Pom really.

Olympics on 12:29 - Aug 20 with 1401 viewsHooparoo

Olympics on 12:26 - Aug 20 by DWQPR

That's because inside you know that you are a Pom really.

Only when it comes to QPR.

Olympics on 12:37 - Aug 20 with 1386 viewsMrSheen

I love Australian sport, not just because I love League, but because there are so many different codes competing for attention all with their own special skill sets. You're right about patriotism spoiling sport too, as I think it's pathetic that people have claims on superiority based on how other people who happen to be born in the same country perform. Having spent too much time on Aussie sports sites like the Roar, where local superiority is taken for granted - eg We're going to beat Sri Lanka, and it won't even be close - and having seen the ads ahead of the Rugby series, it's nice to see them having to face the fact that the rest of the world is good at games too.
Olympics on 12:56 - Aug 20 with 1365 viewsHantsR

"reading a book in a strange pose" made oi larf!

Olympics on 22:31 - Aug 20 with 1261 viewsMrSheen

Serbia v Croatia in water polo. Fingers crossed for a big punch up.
Olympics on 23:06 - Aug 20 with 1241 viewsHendonHoop

Yes.That Lad in the Taekwondo seems a very nice lad. He said to the camera that he feels he let everyone down. He didn't let anyone down and we should be so proud of him. I know he is well gutted not to win the Gold,but he is an Olympian and it's something most of us will never be. He should hold his head up high.
Olympics on 00:10 - Aug 21 with 1212 viewsCamberleyR

The Germans lose a penalty shoot out!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Olympics on 14:30 - Aug 21 with 1102 viewsBrianMcCarthy

http://www.newstalk.com/Canadian-racewalker-turns-down-chance-to-win-an-Olympic-

Integrity alive and well in the Olympics, this is well worth reading.

I watched the 50km walking as I know Rob Heffernan, one of the Irish athletes, and I'm delighted I did. It was epic stuff.

The Canadian in the above article also slowed down earlier in the race when he was second to help Diniz who had been leading the race only to get chronic stomach cramps and diarrhoea, sadly visible down his legs. Incredible sportsmanship by Dunfee who urged him to resume and race with him at risk to his own slender lead over the advancing pack. But to no avail. Diniz soon tired and began to drift back. Soon, he collapsed to the tarmac as if shot, presumably the dehydration caused by the heat and stomach problems getting the better of even his iron will. Again he resumed, walking, stopping, walking again, somehow finding the stubbornness and guts to finish eighth.

Extraordinary sportsmanship and extraordinary fortitude. What a race.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024