Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burkini 08:16 - Aug 25 with 8122 viewsexiled_dictator

acceptable in 2016 uk or not?

you wouldn't catch me in one, because i would also wear a pashtun burka, so you would definitely not catch me at all. wouldn't see me in the dark either. like a ninja.

joking aside, i know that in france, particularly in the south, the authorities are trying to outlaw them, because they are 'not respectful of good morals and secularism'. whatever that means.
but surely, its about choice; women who choose to go to the beach and enjoy their time there, but wish to do so within their own personal choices. just as long as they are not forced to hide away, I'm not sure that it should be a problem.
and without wishing to spark a lfw meltdown, aren't the french police interfering with their human rights?
would it bother you to see women in burkinis at the beach or the local swimming pool?
storm in a tea cup? dunno.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Burkini on 11:24 - Aug 25 with 1810 viewsTheBlob

Oh I do like to be beside the sea side
Oh I do like to be beside the sea
Oh I do like to drive along the prom prom prom
Where machine guns go
Biddly bom bom bom.....

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Burkini on 11:24 - Aug 25 with 1810 viewsGloucs_R

Ban the burka
Keep the hijab
simple.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Burkini on 12:35 - Aug 25 with 1749 viewsrobith

Burkini on 10:28 - Aug 25 by essextaxiboy

There is an opinion that the whole thing was set up and photographed for propaganda .

She had no bag , no towel , nothing to suggest a day on the beach . A photographer in position and the police called very promptly .

Gold dust for ISIS .

Its a bad law , but it is a law implemented by a democratic government as is their right.

Try going topless or even wear a bikini at a resort in Saudi or Iran .

But I thought the point was the West was supposed to be "better" than those places? Ultimately it's just the universal issue of misogyny -France or Saudi Arabia, it's men telling women how they're allowed to behave or dress.

Justifying something because a theocratic dictatorship does it is hardly what the struggle for progress has been for
[Post edited 25 Aug 2016 12:37]
Burkini on 12:41 - Aug 25 with 1737 viewshopphoops

As ever, the French could learn from the British, and go to the beach in a wetsuit or else a proper coat and woolly hat. This issue would never have arisen in Llandudno.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Burkini on 12:48 - Aug 25 with 1722 viewsLongsufferingR

Have to be honest, there were a lot of frightful sights on the beach in the IOW last week that would certainly have benefited from full length burkinis.
Burkini on 13:19 - Aug 25 with 1672 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Spoke to my mate who lives in France and apparently nun's habits are not banned, so this is iilegal:-

but this isn't:-

Logic?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Burkini on 13:23 - Aug 25 with 1664 viewspompeyhoop

Where what you want darling as long as it isn't hurting anybody, live along them lines relax be alright don't be a propA naughty dangerous face and crack on

Anton Ferdinand was not a very good footballer...

Burkini on 13:24 - Aug 25 with 1663 views1MoreBrightonR

regardles of whether or not this one example was stage managed or not, there is still a law and you still have Sarkozy stating today that Burkinis are a "provocation" and its such a backwards step. And the argument that "no one wants to see it"...that doesnt justify singling a group out. I dont want to see a fat man in speedos on the beach, but guess what, tough sh1t, i have to.
Login to get fewer ads

Burkini on 14:06 - Aug 25 with 1618 viewstimcocking

So am i correct in thinking a 'burkini' is basically a long legged/sleeved swimsuit? What on earth is wrong with that? At least they can go in the sea.

The last time i saw a muslim school trip on the beach here, young kids of about 10 or 11 i think, the boys all playing in the sea, the poor girls covered in their awful sheets sitting on the sand baking in misery watching the boys. I bet the poor buggers would have loved some burkinis.

Out here in Thailand, the modesty in the buddhist culture means all good Thai girls (that haven't been altered by contact with farang) go in the sea fully dressed usually. Up to them if they want to keep covered up i'd have thought. I feel quite ashamed when i sometimes see (typically) 'western' women strolling along topless over here, sometimes wearing a thong bikini to boot. The Thais find it staggering that a women would possibly choose to walk along like that in public, and not even for reasons of financial motivation or to help support their families, but by choice. It's highly illegal go around like that over here, but the Thais just let western women get on with it because they are a tolerant lot by nature and they know what farang are like.

The face veils though - they should fcuk right off and be banned everywhere.
Burkini on 14:32 - Aug 25 with 1587 viewsjohncharles

Burkini on 11:24 - Aug 25 by Gloucs_R

Ban the burka
Keep the hijab
simple.

Sounds like a common sense solution. Do it now.

Strong and stable my arse.

Burkini on 16:11 - Aug 25 with 1507 viewsqprphil

Burkini on 11:14 - Aug 25 by Brightonhoop

This is where it gets difficult and confusing because people confuse it with racism, which it isn't at all. It has nothing to do with race. There are an increasing minority of white Muslims, converting from he general population, or joining having not been religious previously. As has been pointed out,
It is difficult also because she was a woman, imo, being oppressed by a religion with practices that happily enslaves women as second class citizens and refuses to integrate or moderate. So it is compounded seeing police further oppress and humiliate her publicly. However, she knew the risks her actions could bring so she has to be partly responsible for what happened.
And the other problem is 'we mustn't offend them.' Well bollx to that, I dont want to see Burkas on the beach and nor do the French it seems.

Agree with this.
Burkini on 16:25 - Aug 25 with 1489 viewsHendonHoop

If that is the law of that Country then it must be respected. Just like in certain Clubs in this country that Jackets and Ties must be worn. Its a pain, but it must be respected. Rules are rules. If I lived in a Muslim Country, I would fully respect the laws without question.
Burkini on 16:53 - Aug 25 with 1446 views1MoreBrightonR

Burkini on 16:25 - Aug 25 by HendonHoop

If that is the law of that Country then it must be respected. Just like in certain Clubs in this country that Jackets and Ties must be worn. Its a pain, but it must be respected. Rules are rules. If I lived in a Muslim Country, I would fully respect the laws without question.

I dont buy this argument...laws have been resisted throughout history though i think it does go back to the debate....is the law wrong or was it wrong that the police were enforcing it on the beach like that. I'm on the side that it is the law that is wrong, regardless of the circumstances of those images
Burkini on 16:56 - Aug 25 with 1446 viewsdistortR

Burkini on 13:19 - Aug 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Spoke to my mate who lives in France and apparently nun's habits are not banned, so this is iilegal:-

Logic?

One of the problems with some of the muslim headwear is that someone not nice could be hiding behind a veil.

Multiple people could be hiding within the garb of the nun on the right.

Ban everything, and ban it now.
Burkini on 17:06 - Aug 25 with 1431 viewsjohncharles

Burkini on 13:19 - Aug 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Logic?

Phoaarrrrr !!!!

Burkini on 17:14 - Aug 25 with 1246 viewsTheBlob

What happens if you're a casual vampire or suffer from Photodermatitis and you want to have a refreshing paddle?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Burkini on 17:27 - Aug 25 with 1233 viewsNW5Hoop

If France was serious about secularism and demanding the non display of religious items or symbols, it would also ban the wearing of crucifixes, and turbans, or Jewish traditional dress, or the beards of Orthodox Christians. It does not. Those people are allowed to get away with things Muslim women are not. Which makes this, pretty plainly, an anti-Muslim law.

Incredibly, the French minister responsible was claiming it is because he believes women must have choice. That's the full Orwellian paradox right there: We have removed your choice, so you may have more choice.
Burkini on 17:47 - Aug 25 with 1207 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Burkini on 17:27 - Aug 25 by NW5Hoop

If France was serious about secularism and demanding the non display of religious items or symbols, it would also ban the wearing of crucifixes, and turbans, or Jewish traditional dress, or the beards of Orthodox Christians. It does not. Those people are allowed to get away with things Muslim women are not. Which makes this, pretty plainly, an anti-Muslim law.

Incredibly, the French minister responsible was claiming it is because he believes women must have choice. That's the full Orwellian paradox right there: We have removed your choice, so you may have more choice.

Put better than I ever could, that's for sure. Great post.

Burkini on 18:04 - Aug 25 with 1191 viewsJuzzie

I too think it's OTT but people also need to be careful about mixing up religion with race. It's too easy to call it racism when it's not.

I also think religions that are not indiginous to a certain country, any country, have got to be mindful of this and not expect everything to go their way. They're the 'visitor' as it were. "When in Rome....." and all that.

When I've visited countries (and I'm not religious) I respect their wishes, cultures etc. and they should do the same. Whether we agree with their laws or not, if visitors or non-indiginous people who live there (whether by birth or migration) break them then they get punished.

It's a bit hypocritical when the same people of faiths then expect, nay demand, their laws should apply to everyone else in other countries. It's trying to take control plain & simple hidden by all sorts of very clever ways and means and playing the race card to get people to be afraid to speak out. It's working because we are all turning against each other, just look at all the arguments on here over the years.

Just the same in society when it comes to class. The people at the top use these methods to control the masses and we don't even realise. People on the same level probably have more in common than they realise but are set against each other by those in power to keep them in their place. Religion, class.... it's all the same agenda.

IMO people are getting pi$$ed off not because they're inherently "racist" (sic) but because they're tired of being dictated to.

But yes, if France are truely to be non-secular then it has to apply to everyone. Complete removal of everything.

Personally I think that would be great as religion IMO has no place anywhere in the 21st century. Been used for centuries to control people, power, wealth etc. and is probably responsible for more misery, chaos & death than anything else. Kind of ironic really.

[Post edited 25 Aug 2016 18:17]
Burkini on 18:41 - Aug 25 with 1157 viewsRamseyR

Burkini on 11:24 - Aug 25 by Gloucs_R

Ban the burka
Keep the hijab
simple.

This is the answer. It really is that simple

One is a security risk.....the other is not...in the same way that hoodys are banned in shopping centres in the uk and motorcyclists are often required to remove helmets

One gives the wearer absolutely no chance of integrating (or being accepted) into their adopted community......the other does
[Post edited 25 Aug 2016 18:42]
Burkini on 18:47 - Aug 25 with 1152 viewsjohncharles

Considering the recent killings by terrorists in France I would have thought that a little respect could be shown by the burkini wearers to their host country. Those policemen might well have attended recent atrocities and known the policemen who were killed. How do think they feel going into a situation which might very well be a trap.
These people are just taking the piss.

Burkini on 19:01 - Aug 25 with 1136 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not to be disrespectful but do we honestly think that there are cells of frustrated terrorists who'd bomb France if only they could get away with it by wearing a mask?

I think they might have a bit more ingenuity than the bad guy out of Scooby Doo!

Burkini on 19:30 - Aug 25 with 1104 viewsjohncharles

Put yourself in the policemen's shoes. Remember the terrorists don't care about being recognised or caught. They don't have an escape plan. It's a one way ticket for them. The French police have behaved impeccably under huge provocation.
Just a small point. Some people have tried to make something of the police in this case being armed. French police are armed all the time.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2016 19:31]

Burkini on 19:36 - Aug 25 with 1098 viewskensalriser

Burkini on 19:30 - Aug 25 by johncharles

Put yourself in the policemen's shoes. Remember the terrorists don't care about being recognised or caught. They don't have an escape plan. It's a one way ticket for them. The French police have behaved impeccably under huge provocation.
Just a small point. Some people have tried to make something of the police in this case being armed. French police are armed all the time.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2016 19:31]

This isn't about the police, it's about the tinpot would-be dictator mayors of the towns who are passing these bye-laws and making political capital out of discrimination.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Burkini on 20:06 - Aug 25 with 1070 viewsNW5Hoop

Burkini on 18:47 - Aug 25 by johncharles

Considering the recent killings by terrorists in France I would have thought that a little respect could be shown by the burkini wearers to their host country. Those policemen might well have attended recent atrocities and known the policemen who were killed. How do think they feel going into a situation which might very well be a trap.
These people are just taking the piss.

Do you not think there are scores of Muslim women who are in France not because it is their "host country", but because they were born there? And the reason they were born there is that lots of them have Algerian ancestry. Algeria, you may recall, was invaded and colonised by France, from 1830. First rule of post-colonialism: you invaded a country and occupied it for more than a century? You don't have any right to say no when people from there want to come to your own country.

These women were Muslim before the terrorist attacks. Why the f*ck should they have to change the way they dress because some blokes they don't know went mental?

Jesus.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024