Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burkini 08:16 - Aug 25 with 8063 viewsexiled_dictator

acceptable in 2016 uk or not?

you wouldn't catch me in one, because i would also wear a pashtun burka, so you would definitely not catch me at all. wouldn't see me in the dark either. like a ninja.

joking aside, i know that in france, particularly in the south, the authorities are trying to outlaw them, because they are 'not respectful of good morals and secularism'. whatever that means.
but surely, its about choice; women who choose to go to the beach and enjoy their time there, but wish to do so within their own personal choices. just as long as they are not forced to hide away, I'm not sure that it should be a problem.
and without wishing to spark a lfw meltdown, aren't the french police interfering with their human rights?
would it bother you to see women in burkinis at the beach or the local swimming pool?
storm in a tea cup? dunno.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Burkini on 13:45 - Aug 26 with 1348 viewsR_from_afar

I just knew that things would escalate and sure enough, they have. In a sinister move, Iran has now banned the wearing of strings of onions in public. Where oh where will it end?

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Burkini on 14:04 - Aug 26 with 1325 viewsBrightonhoop

Burkini on 13:45 - Aug 26 by R_from_afar

I just knew that things would escalate and sure enough, they have. In a sinister move, Iran has now banned the wearing of strings of onions in public. Where oh where will it end?

RFA

:-) Very good. It will be Bretton jumpers next....
Burkini on 14:07 - Aug 26 with 1318 viewsElHoop

I don't think that this is a male issue at all. Women have fought long and hard for equal rights and it's been a proper struggle for them. I wouldn't want to walk about with a bag over my head just because my mum thought that it was a good idea and because my wife and sister thought it was the right thing to do. If I wanted to wear a bag over my head then fine that's my choice, but how does anyone know whether these women actually think that it's fair or not? I don't know the answer so I'm not in a position to comment. You could get a dozen normal non-Muslim French women to sit around a table with a dozen normal Muslim French women and then they could report back as to what they thought should happen. I'd go along with that. Otherwise it's none of my business.
Burkini on 14:10 - Aug 26 with 1305 viewsMrSheen

Burkini on 13:45 - Aug 26 by R_from_afar

RFA

Iranian TV bans the showing of people playing musical instruments, so they've already censored accordion players.
Burkini on 14:20 - Aug 26 with 1288 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Burkini on 14:10 - Aug 26 by MrSheen

Iranian TV bans the showing of people playing musical instruments, so they've already censored accordion players.

Hey! I play the accordion!

Bang goes my Iranian royalties then...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Burkini on 14:32 - Aug 26 with 1246 viewsLongsufferingR

Ban just been overturned by the highest French court.
Burkini on 15:06 - Aug 26 with 1215 viewskensalriser

Have any actual women expressed their opinions on this thread yet?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Burkini on 15:10 - Aug 26 with 1212 viewsBucksRanger

Login to get fewer ads

Burkini on 15:28 - Aug 26 with 1193 viewsderbyhoop

Culturally and legally, France is a secular state. But it also has a significant Muslim population. There's clearly an element of provocation in this dispute. Whether this is a jumped up mayor imposing a stupid by law OR a Muslim women provoking an overreaction, Neither come out with any credit.

To make it even more ludicrous, wearing a burkini on the beach is illegal. 10 yards away on the promenade, it isn't. Make of that what you will.

Frankly, if a woman wants to sit on a beach, ridiculously overdressed for the weather (and it's been 38C most days this week, in the Limousin) I don't see how it causes any offence to other sun worshippers. More likely to be pity for seeing the silly cow wearing too much.

Thankfully, the law has been suspended. If I heard it right, until Sept 15th. By which time, the number of people on any of the beaches is likely to be severely diminished.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Burkini on 18:31 - Aug 26 with 1080 viewsBrightonhoop

Birkini Brummies are innocent. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37199923

Would be funny if it wasn't so potently deadly.
Burkini on 19:25 - Aug 26 with 1053 viewsMedwayR

Burkini on 18:31 - Aug 26 by Brightonhoop

Birkini Brummies are innocent. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37199923

Would be funny if it wasn't so potently deadly.

It doesn't say anywhere in that article that the men are Muslim.

You're assuming they are (as I did too) but should we be so quick to judge when presented with no facts other than 5 men have been arrested by anti-terrorism police, they could have been anyone.

Poll: Who’s better?

Burkini on 09:40 - Aug 27 with 955 viewsqprphil

Burkini on 11:33 - Aug 26 by 1MoreBrightonR

Are you nervous when you cross a road? because statistically, thats a lot more dangerous than terrorism.

No.
Burkini on 10:16 - Aug 27 with 931 viewsBrightonhoop

Burkini on 19:25 - Aug 26 by MedwayR

It doesn't say anywhere in that article that the men are Muslim.

You're assuming they are (as I did too) but should we be so quick to judge when presented with no facts other than 5 men have been arrested by anti-terrorism police, they could have been anyone.

When was the last time the media reported on terrorists being Muslim? They dont anymore. Under instruction it seems, the Hamburg assaults at New Year quickly changed from being perpetrated by young muslim immigrants, to men of North African appearance, then on to complete denial that it happened at all with police speaking out being sacked.

They just dont report anymore. Let's see this latest outcome.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024