Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Doctor's Sword 23:24 - Aug 25 with 1372 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Film now on RTE (available on player I'm sure) based on the book 'A Doctor's War'.

Highly recommend this. It's the life story of Aidan McCarthy, no relation, from my town Castletownbere, Co. Cork, who served in WW2 with the British and survived no end of incredible near misses. No spoilers, but both book and film are extraordinary. If ye get a chance, investigate it. Ye won't be sorry.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A Doctor's Sword on 07:17 - Aug 26 with 1299 viewsMrSheen

Thanks for the tip Brian, I think we've discussed him before. How'd they get it all into one film?

Talking of Irish doctors, I read a review of a new book about Dr James Barry, a 19th century army surgeon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Barry_(surgeon)
A Doctor's Sword on 08:54 - Aug 26 with 1255 viewsMonahoop

I have the dvd of this . Incredible stuff and a very moving story. No American style gung ho heroics here, just a shear will to survive , coupled with compassion. A must watch for those on here interested in WW2 tales especially POW stories.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

A Doctor's Sword on 11:57 - Aug 26 with 1175 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Will check that, Sheener, thanks.

I watched it again last night and the answer to Mona's question is that they tried hard to get all the story into the film but couldn't. The book is naturally more comprehensive.

Both are excellent pieces of work, though.

A Doctor's Sword on 12:28 - Aug 26 with 1148 viewsbob566

A Doctor's Sword on 11:57 - Aug 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Will check that, Sheener, thanks.

I watched it again last night and the answer to Mona's question is that they tried hard to get all the story into the film but couldn't. The book is naturally more comprehensive.

Both are excellent pieces of work, though.

watching it now. Such a will to live. Fantastic stuff. Thanks for the heads up Brian.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/a-doctors-sword-30004182/10614998/
A Doctor's Sword on 12:47 - Aug 26 with 1137 viewsMrSheen

This man deserves his own film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Harris

British Lion, Davis Cup Tennis player, Water Polo International, Light-Heavyweight boxing champion of South Africa, and World Champion Ballroom dancer (Waltz). Three and a half years as a prisoner of the Japanese. The only blots on his record were getting knocked out of Wimbledon in the last 16 and turning down a place in the 1920 Olympics (Modern Pentathlon).
A Doctor's Sword on 07:15 - Aug 28 with 1015 viewsisawqpratwcity

I couldn't get in, despite using Hola as VPN from Ireland. Do you have to sign in?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

A Doctor's Sword on 11:29 - Aug 28 with 952 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A Doctor's Sword on 07:15 - Aug 28 by isawqpratwcity

I couldn't get in, despite using Hola as VPN from Ireland. Do you have to sign in?

No sign-in required, Isaw.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024