Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
bit more news on old oak development 09:07 - Aug 26 with 2050 viewswombat

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/08/26/galliford-try-bags-175m-first-old

Poll: which is your favouite foot

bit more news on old oak development on 09:22 - Aug 26 with 2003 viewsToast_R

I thought there had been some conscious re-think over building new communities based on high rise flats for the purpose of social housing? This type of development in the 60s is what bred that ghetto type isolation from the rest of society.

What's wrong with good old streets and houses?

If the human race inhabited and new planet - you wouldn't see a bloody house built anywhere.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2016 9:24]
bit more news on old oak development on 09:45 - Aug 26 with 1943 viewswombat

bit more news on old oak development on 09:22 - Aug 26 by Toast_R

I thought there had been some conscious re-think over building new communities based on high rise flats for the purpose of social housing? This type of development in the 60s is what bred that ghetto type isolation from the rest of society.

If the human race inhabited and new planet - you wouldn't see a bloody house built anywhere.

money simple as that , more people living on smaller foot print means more profit for the devloper , also add in lack of avalible land to build houses on in london and the home counties just not enough space

next few years will be intresting with modular building becoming more and more popular with houses being basically built in boxes off site utiites installed already and just being connected once installed , will cut build times down to less than half even less on some developments .

bit more news on old oak development on 10:31 - Aug 26 with 1810 viewsCroydonCaptJack

bit more news on old oak development on 09:22 - Aug 26 by Toast_R

Although I agree with your point I think the modern thinking is that these flats are amongst shops and workplaces rather than just built in isolation. Hence there should be more of a community feel even though they are still high rise. However, the land cost does drive these sort of dwellings unfortunatley.

I read somewhere recently that the new mayor was forcing TFL (I think?) to sell land at below market value in order to get more homes built. A step in the right direction at least as the price of property in London and the suburbs is a real problem.
bit more news on old oak development on 10:44 - Aug 26 with 1776 viewsFearless

JG Ballard

High Rise
Super Cannes
Cocaine Nights

3 great books on the subject of social housing and gated communities

The man was a genius (IMO)
bit more news on old oak development on 10:45 - Aug 26 with 1769 viewswombat

bit more news on old oak development on 10:31 - Aug 26 by CroydonCaptJack

Although I agree with your point I think the modern thinking is that these flats are amongst shops and workplaces rather than just built in isolation. Hence there should be more of a community feel even though they are still high rise. However, the land cost does drive these sort of dwellings unfortunatley.

I read somewhere recently that the new mayor was forcing TFL (I think?) to sell land at below market value in order to get more homes built. A step in the right direction at least as the price of property in London and the suburbs is a real problem.

dont disagree that modern developments are built with a community feel but cost is always the main concern for developers these days , how much can i squeeze in , try a new build house with garage these days unless you have a smart car it usually wont fit in the garage as the developers take a foot off here foot off there and next thing they have is another house.

bit more news on old oak development on 10:47 - Aug 26 with 1761 viewsstevec

It'll be weird going to a new home. I've got used to leaving the ground with no feeling in my lower legs after 90 minutes of being pressed into the seat in front.
bit more news on old oak development on 11:17 - Aug 26 with 1689 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've read the article and I still don't understand how this affects Rangers exactly. Anyone?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

bit more news on old oak development on 11:23 - Aug 26 with 1672 viewsCroydonCaptJack

bit more news on old oak development on 10:45 - Aug 26 by wombat

dont disagree that modern developments are built with a community feel but cost is always the main concern for developers these days , how much can i squeeze in , try a new build house with garage these days unless you have a smart car it usually wont fit in the garage as the developers take a foot off here foot off there and next thing they have is another house.

Yes mate, totally agree. I workd for one of the big housebuiders for a while so I know exactly what you mean.
Login to get fewer ads

bit more news on old oak development on 11:32 - Aug 26 with 1638 viewsMedwayR

bit more news on old oak development on 11:17 - Aug 26 by BrianMcCarthy

I've read the article and I still don't understand how this affects Rangers exactly. Anyone?

We're in partnership with the developers.

Also, someone mentioned tfl selling off land cheap. This isn't the case, they've appointed development partners to develop the land they own & make tfl money, which in theory should ease the burden on taxpayers funding towards tfl.

Poll: Who’s better?

bit more news on old oak development on 11:42 - Aug 26 with 1615 viewsCroydonCaptJack

bit more news on old oak development on 11:32 - Aug 26 by MedwayR

Also, someone mentioned tfl selling off land cheap. This isn't the case, they've appointed development partners to develop the land they own & make tfl money, which in theory should ease the burden on taxpayers funding towards tfl.

I knew I had read it somewhere recently.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayor/sadiq-khan-orders-tfl-to-sell-unused-land-f
bit more news on old oak development on 11:49 - Aug 26 with 1605 viewsBrianMcCarthy

bit more news on old oak development on 11:32 - Aug 26 by MedwayR

Sound, Medway, thanks. Looks that way alright.

This makes our move more likely on the face of it, or at least not less likely.

bit more news on old oak development on 11:57 - Aug 26 with 1577 viewshoof_hearted

Modular housing seems so sensible. The changes in materials over the last few years has been immense. Flat pack them, chuck them on the back of a lorry and plug them in to the services. It feels like it should be simple. So much greed and red tape in the way.

The pre-fabs built after the war are still going strong. We could innovate and solve a problem quickly 60+ years ago but not now apparently.
bit more news on old oak development on 13:50 - Aug 26 with 1381 viewsderbyhoop

bit more news on old oak development on 11:17 - Aug 26 by BrianMcCarthy

My reading of iit:-
1. QPR and Genesis had already got approval for the tower blocks at Oaklands.
2. Now, they've appointed Galliford Try to do the construction
3. QPR already own a number of land parcels on the Old Oak site. Whether they have enough to build a stadium is far from certain at this stage
4. The Oaklands development will include access to other parts of the site, opening it up for future development
5. By getting the social housing elements in early, QPR put themselves in a good position with the Development Corporation when further parcels of land are made available.

As an aside, Pride Park (Derby's iPro stadium) was an old contaminated site which contained loads of railway sidings. The development of the stadium acted as a major catalyst to the other developments on the site.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

bit more news on old oak development on 14:22 - Aug 26 with 1318 viewswombat

bit more news on old oak development on 11:57 - Aug 26 by hoof_hearted

Modular housing seems so sensible. The changes in materials over the last few years has been immense. Flat pack them, chuck them on the back of a lorry and plug them in to the services. It feels like it should be simple. So much greed and red tape in the way.

The pre-fabs built after the war are still going strong. We could innovate and solve a problem quickly 60+ years ago but not now apparently.

the joys of modular homes are its literally build the rooms totally in a warehouse then ship to site on one piece to be connected in less than a morning , less trades needed on site hugley improved builds times more profit for the companies.

next big thing is homes made from shipping containers few developments already in london and more to come , once again quick to build and good profit for the companies building them

battersea power station will be having a huge amount of pref fab housing on site when its finished

bit more news on old oak development on 14:32 - Aug 26 with 1295 viewsToast_R

bit more news on old oak development on 14:22 - Aug 26 by wombat

the joys of modular homes are its literally build the rooms totally in a warehouse then ship to site on one piece to be connected in less than a morning , less trades needed on site hugley improved builds times more profit for the companies.

next big thing is homes made from shipping containers few developments already in london and more to come , once again quick to build and good profit for the companies building them

battersea power station will be having a huge amount of pref fab housing on site when its finished

The only problem is, you fart in the morning and the 5 different neighbours can hear it.
bit more news on old oak development on 14:36 - Aug 26 with 1287 viewsLongsufferingR

bit more news on old oak development on 14:32 - Aug 26 by Toast_R

The only problem is, you fart in the morning and the 5 different neighbours can hear it.

My nearest ten neighbours can already hear mine.
bit more news on old oak development on 14:58 - Aug 26 with 1246 viewsBrianMcCarthy

bit more news on old oak development on 13:50 - Aug 26 by derbyhoop

My reading of iit:-
1. QPR and Genesis had already got approval for the tower blocks at Oaklands.
2. Now, they've appointed Galliford Try to do the construction
3. QPR already own a number of land parcels on the Old Oak site. Whether they have enough to build a stadium is far from certain at this stage
4. The Oaklands development will include access to other parts of the site, opening it up for future development
5. By getting the social housing elements in early, QPR put themselves in a good position with the Development Corporation when further parcels of land are made available.

As an aside, Pride Park (Derby's iPro stadium) was an old contaminated site which contained loads of railway sidings. The development of the stadium acted as a major catalyst to the other developments on the site.

That seems clear. Thanks a million Derby.

bit more news on old oak development on 16:49 - Aug 26 with 1080 viewsenfieldargh

Take a look at camlet way and beach hill in Cockfosters. These roads are full of large 8 -12 bedroom homes with carriage driveways, garages swimming pools and extremely large gardens.
They are rapidly all being knocked down and plush looking mansions being rapidly re- built which contain luxury flats.

Why have one rich buggar taking up the space when you can have another 12 rich buggers there.

Several footballers live there, one I know still has a house there is Kanu

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024