Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes 12:20 - Aug 26 with 5172 viewsDWQPR

Was watching The Great British Bake Off via iplayer last night when LFW favourite delectable female

Asks one of the female contestants to "Put your purple ring in full view!"

OOooo errr missus!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 12:49 - Aug 26 with 5122 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 13:02 - Aug 26 with 5091 viewspaulparker

Modern TV is poor in this country , its utter garbage , tv cook shows, singing contests and reality based shite are the norm , how did it get like that ? why do I have to watch so many bell ends on my box ?
without sounding like an old fart but why cant we turn out shows like
Porridge, fools & Horses, Minder, Auf Wedersain , Steptoe, Phoenix nights, sickness and in health, the Sweeney, The Professionals , fawltey towers ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 13:25 - Aug 26 with 5029 viewsToast_R

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 13:02 - Aug 26 by paulparker

Modern TV is poor in this country , its utter garbage , tv cook shows, singing contests and reality based shite are the norm , how did it get like that ? why do I have to watch so many bell ends on my box ?
Porridge, fools & Horses, Minder, Auf Wedersain , Steptoe, Phoenix nights, sickness and in health, the Sweeney, The Professionals , fawltey towers ,

I hear you but if you think it's bad here, my experience of TV anywhere else such as Australia, is far worse. Basically what we get here but their own versions of the same shows with adverts literally every 5 minutes. Watched the World Cup over there in 2003 and there were ad breaks during the matches.

As for the classic sitcoms, bygone era I'm afraid. What worked in the 70s and 80 probably wouldn't work so well these days. Occasionally you get a good modern one such as the Office (Although finished 13 years ago now) or The InBetweeners - but they are certainly few and far between.

And Reality TV - It's aimed at the Social Media generation. It makes absolutely sh*t loads of money and that's what TV Executives want to hear above all else.

I know what you mean though - TV when I was growing up seemed far better.
Saturday evenings after getting in to QPR for £5 - Noels House Party - Gladiators - Blind Date - Casualty (when it was quite graphic) MOTD - a Movie (before Movie channels were the norm).

[Post edited 26 Aug 2016 13:37]
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 13:34 - Aug 26 with 5018 viewsstevec

Couldn't agree more. Sadly none of that lot would get past the censor any more.

You might get a bit of Mrs Slocombe's pussy on Sunday, best you can hope for these days.
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 13:57 - Aug 26 with 4967 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 15:15 - Aug 26 with 4883 viewskensalriser

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 13:34 - Aug 26 by stevec

Couldn't agree more. Sadly none of that lot would get past the censor any more.

You might get a bit of Mrs Slocombe's pussy on Sunday, best you can hope for these days.

Obviously they do get past the censor because most of those are frequently repeated!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 19:10 - Aug 26 with 4724 viewsAntti_Heinola

To be fair, there are good shows out there, but with loads more channels they often get washed away in the tide of sh!t out there. loads of potentially good shows don't last beyond a season because of poor viewing figures - in the old days, BBC and ITV would both give time to shows to build and develop into the classics they became (Fawlty one of the rare examples where it came together from the get-go, admittedly).

But, Luther, The Mimic, Catastrophe, Night Manager, Not Going Out (not my thing, but not too far away from the classic sitcoms of old), Wolf Hall, No Offence, Inside No.9, Dr Who, Peaky Blinders, Peter Kay's Car Share...

Not saying I like all of them, but there are as many great shows now as there ever was - it's just that they're buried in the avalanche of crap tv! The good stuff used to be much easier to find. And they'll never be another Fawlty, or another Sweeney. Perfection, and of their time.

Bare bones.

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 21:22 - Aug 26 with 4620 viewsloftboy

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 19:10 - Aug 26 by Antti_Heinola

To be fair, there are good shows out there, but with loads more channels they often get washed away in the tide of sh!t out there. loads of potentially good shows don't last beyond a season because of poor viewing figures - in the old days, BBC and ITV would both give time to shows to build and develop into the classics they became (Fawlty one of the rare examples where it came together from the get-go, admittedly).

But, Luther, The Mimic, Catastrophe, Night Manager, Not Going Out (not my thing, but not too far away from the classic sitcoms of old), Wolf Hall, No Offence, Inside No.9, Dr Who, Peaky Blinders, Peter Kay's Car Share...

Not saying I like all of them, but there are as many great shows now as there ever was - it's just that they're buried in the avalanche of crap tv! The good stuff used to be much easier to find. And they'll never be another Fawlty, or another Sweeney. Perfection, and of their time.

Not a dig at you Anti but when did series become season? Is this more Americanisation of our good language ?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 22:14 - Aug 26 with 4578 viewsStanisgod

He probably also says " can I get " 😱😱😱

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 23:59 - Aug 26 with 4515 viewsHendonHoop

Remember " Big Deal " with Ray Brooks and " Give me a break " with Robert Lindsay ? all filmed around West London and great shows as well. Better than most of the dross served up these days.
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 00:15 - Aug 27 with 4502 viewsHendonHoop

From the get go - Let me run this thru you guys - A ballpark figure - Shut the back door - Oh my days - Pay cheque. All modern day sayings that do my head in.
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 08:17 - Aug 30 with 4323 viewsGaryT

Lived in Spain for a number of years now and one thing I miss is the quality of British TV, even by today's standards. Here's a little taster of what TV is like in Spain.

The vast majority of adverts are either 7 minutes or 15 minutes long and I'm pretty sure there have been some 20 minute long ones as well but they are a rare. They start in the middle of a sentence and quite often in the middle of a word. There's no fading in or out just BANG, you're into adverts and BANG you're back again so you miss the first 30 seconds as you haven't realised the adverts have finished. There's no logical placements of adverts, in the UK you get used to 3 minute breaks every 20 minutes in an hour long show. I got so good at timing the adverts I used to channel hop until my internal clock said "your 3 minutes are up" and would turn back just as the programme was about to fade back in. Did it hundreds of times much to the amusement of others in the room. Here's how an hour long program can go in Spain:

Program starts and 2 minutes in, 7 minutes of adverts. 20 minutes of program and 15 minutes of adverts. 2 minutes of programme and 7 minutes of adverts (here's the best one) 30 SECONDS! of program and back to another 7 minutes of adverts! In the end what was an hour long programme takes 2 hours to watch so an evenings TV viewing tends to be watching 30% of 4 different programs as you are constantly hopping channels trying to avoid the adverts.

There are no Dramas on Spanish TV. There may be one or two but I haven't found them as they were probably having adverts when I passed them by. It's all TV chat shows, news, kids cartoons, more chat shows, local news channels, tarot card readers (4 channels) and a couple of film channels mainly showing B movies that would never be shown on UK TV (because they are crap).

On the other hand, some of things that I've watched from the UK are:

Peaky Blinders
Happy Valley
Cradle to Grave
Detectorists
The Night Manager
Fleabag
Marcella
Peep Show
Rovers
Sherlock
The Secret
Thirteen
Doctor Foster
Humans
Unforgotten
Peter Kay's Car Share
Silent Witness
This is England
Episodes

Then there's MOTD, Dr Who, All the soaps, Top Gear, Poldark, The Fall, Midsomer Murders, Broadchurch, Ripper Street, Luther, Black Mirror......etc

Be careful what you wish for, UK TV still has a lot going for it.
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 09:06 - Aug 30 with 4268 viewsDesertBoot

ITV4 is good for repeats of old classics. I blanket record all the "Minder" series - as good now as it was then.
Great line from Daley recently when someone asked him, "Hello Arthur, how's tricks".
He replied, "How should I know, I'm an entrepreneur not a member of the Magic Circle".

Wish I could be like David Watts

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 09:45 - Aug 30 with 4233 viewsDaBurgh

As a teenager in the good ol' USA I would watch late night movies (back in the day when late night movies started at 11pm). Usually old monster films, Japanese Godzilla films - To this day I will never forget the memorable dialogue of a group of people in the forest searching for something or other monster related - Actor A says 'it's hasn't stopped raining for two months' Actress B (fairly attractive Japanese girl) replying 'it must be the rainy season'.
Or indeed a good 'hammer house of horror' flick, in which you could always rely on some nubile young thing running through the woods in some (almost) see through white night dress. Anyhow I digress.
The film would just stop (not being sure if it finished or not, I would persevere through the 5 minutes of commercials) only to have it return with the film credits running. And because the TV channel was local you would get the most tedious, mind numbingly crap commercials from some local car salesman or local furniture store. Special Lincoln's birthday sale, free undercoating on every Chevy Vega purchased over the weekend, remember this is just for the weekend, bring the kids down, free balloons, Tang and cupcakes. Just off the I-95 downramp...
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 10:03 - Aug 30 with 4209 viewsrobith

One episode of each of those shows equals 7 and a half hours. That wouldn't fill one TV channel for a day. There has always been loads of guff on TV regardless of the decade, you just tend not to remember the rubbish. For instance here are the highest rated shows from 1972

1. Eurovision Song Contest (BBC)
2. This is Your Life (ITV)
3. Miss World 1972 (BBC)
4. Steptoe and Son (BBC)
5. Love Thy Neighbor (ITV)
6. Till Death Do Us Part (BBC)
7. Coronation Street (ITV)
8. A Family at War (ITV)
9. Public Eye (ITV)
10. Opportunity Knocks (ITV)
11. Benny Hill Show (ITV)
12. On the Buses (ITV)
13. The Strauss Family (ITV)
14. Suspicion (ITV)
15. Bless This House (ITV)
16. News at Ten (ITV)
17. The Persuaders (ITV)
18. Football: England v West Germany (BBC)
19. Nine O’Clock News (BBC)
20. Carry On Christmas (ITV)
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 10:14 - Aug 30 with 4194 viewsCamberleyR

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 19:10 - Aug 26 by Antti_Heinola

" loads of potentially good shows don't last beyond a season because of poor viewing figures - in the old days, BBC and ITV would both give time to shows to build and develop into the classics they became"

Minder being a case in point. As I remember at the time, the viewing figures weren't great for the first couple of series shown in 1979 and 1980 although it had a cult following and these days it would have been binned straight away. It didn't really take off until series 3 in 1982 after they had repeated the first two in the interim period of series 2 and 3.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 10:51 - Aug 30 with 4157 viewspaulparker

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 10:03 - Aug 30 by robith

One episode of each of those shows equals 7 and a half hours. That wouldn't fill one TV channel for a day. There has always been loads of guff on TV regardless of the decade, you just tend not to remember the rubbish. For instance here are the highest rated shows from 1972

1. Eurovision Song Contest (BBC)
2. This is Your Life (ITV)
3. Miss World 1972 (BBC)
4. Steptoe and Son (BBC)
5. Love Thy Neighbor (ITV)
6. Till Death Do Us Part (BBC)
7. Coronation Street (ITV)
8. A Family at War (ITV)
9. Public Eye (ITV)
10. Opportunity Knocks (ITV)
11. Benny Hill Show (ITV)
12. On the Buses (ITV)
13. The Strauss Family (ITV)
14. Suspicion (ITV)
15. Bless This House (ITV)
16. News at Ten (ITV)
17. The Persuaders (ITV)
18. Football: England v West Germany (BBC)
19. Nine O’Clock News (BBC)
20. Carry On Christmas (ITV)

Yes there was some guff on tv back in the day but now it quantity rather than quality
I do agree there has been some good stuff like Peaky blinders, line of duty, ripper street, top boy , life on mars
but where are the sitcoms now? where are the good writers ? people want to watch stuff that is relevant to them that they can relate to, they want to laugh & cry
Minder , big deal, prospects, OFAH , Auf wedeirsain (sp) would never make it today
its got so bad we have to do remakes of porridge, Steptoe, AYBS , and good night sweet heart
I mean even game shows are redundant these days
I turned on the TV last night and there was not one thing on about 300 channels that I wanted to watch

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 10:59 - Aug 30 with 4138 viewsDeepcutHoop

Bake Off is famous for it's very British innuendo. If you've only seen that one, you've not been paying attention.... ;)

Love the show, though one of the few 'gameshow' formats I'll watch.
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 11:03 - Aug 30 with 4127 viewsDeepcutHoop

Just rewatched the 'Quiet Night In' episode of Inside No 9. Good lord that was absolute genius.

Hadn't realised Oona Chaplin (Mrs Robb Stark) in it until the rewatch.
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 18:10 - Aug 30 with 3986 viewsHendonHoop

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 09:06 - Aug 30 by DesertBoot

ITV4 is good for repeats of old classics. I blanket record all the "Minder" series - as good now as it was then.
Great line from Daley recently when someone asked him, "Hello Arthur, how's tricks".
He replied, "How should I know, I'm an entrepreneur not a member of the Magic Circle".

Arthur Daley. " Ahh. Mr Chisholm. What a pleasant surprise ! "

Mr. Chisholm. " Shut it Daley !!.....And you McCann !!!.."
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 20:48 - Aug 30 with 3899 viewsjohncharles

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 18:10 - Aug 30 by HendonHoop

Terence, the world is your lobster.

Strong and stable my arse.

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 03:56 - Aug 31 with 3779 viewsFredManRave

I'm sure we're all hoping Naked Attraction gets a second series...season...coming...whatever..

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 09:15 - Aug 31 with 3690 viewspaulparker

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 18:10 - Aug 30 by HendonHoop

Arthur: “Terry. That is... that is ‘an Indian ebony and porcupine quill workbox, nineteenth century". Described as "distressed".
Terry: “Distressed?”
Arthur: “Yes, that is a term they use in the auctioneering world.”
Terry: “Yeah, loosely translated as ‘knackered’!”
Arthur: “As with most things in this life, Terry, it is in the eye of the beholder. One man's firewood is another man's porcupine wotsisname.”

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 17:43 - Aug 31 with 3595 viewsHendonHoop

Arthur. " Afternoon Mr Chisholm, and Mr Jones, and what do we owe the pleasure of your visit this time?...A small tin of paint gone missing in Fulham has it ? "

Chisholm. " Shut it Daley ! What have you done with those stolen boxes of Trainers? "

Mr. Jones. " I dunno Arthur. All the crimes going on in the area. Rapists, Muggings and Murders!...And what are all doing? Looking for a bloody load of missing Plimpsoles.! "
Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 18:38 - Aug 31 with 3564 viewsBoston

Things You Dont Expect to Hear on TV Programmes on 09:45 - Aug 30 by DaBurgh

As a teenager in the good ol' USA I would watch late night movies (back in the day when late night movies started at 11pm). Usually old monster films, Japanese Godzilla films - To this day I will never forget the memorable dialogue of a group of people in the forest searching for something or other monster related - Actor A says 'it's hasn't stopped raining for two months' Actress B (fairly attractive Japanese girl) replying 'it must be the rainy season'.
Or indeed a good 'hammer house of horror' flick, in which you could always rely on some nubile young thing running through the woods in some (almost) see through white night dress. Anyhow I digress.
The film would just stop (not being sure if it finished or not, I would persevere through the 5 minutes of commercials) only to have it return with the film credits running. And because the TV channel was local you would get the most tedious, mind numbingly crap commercials from some local car salesman or local furniture store. Special Lincoln's birthday sale, free undercoating on every Chevy Vega purchased over the weekend, remember this is just for the weekend, bring the kids down, free balloons, Tang and cupcakes. Just off the I-95 downramp...

I fckin love watching local channel TV adverts. It's Americana, sadly disappearing into the one world global corporation. God bless Ma & Pa Dickerson with their free side of hash browns on Waffle Wednesday.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024