Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
carnival 07:52 - Aug 28 with 5791 viewsLadbrokeR

Is here. The punch has been made and I have even cleaned the flat. Norman and Sancha Panza are no longer around. I shall be around Powis Terrace and All saints at Deviation and Rap attack. I will be getting drunk and at some point somewhere mid record I will shout uuuuurrrss. When I looked this morning we were in play off spot and still in the league cup.
carnival on 08:23 - Aug 28 with 5753 viewslondonscottish

Sancho Panza gone too??

That really is the end of an era.

Oh well, it's all a bit academic as I'll be taking some young kids so will be in at 12.00 (sober) and out by 3.00. Lightweight session in Meanwhile Gardens followed by beers in the Island.

UUUUUURRRRRRssssss!!!

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

carnival on 08:27 - Aug 28 with 5747 viewsknocker

Rather stick pins in my eyes.
carnival on 08:43 - Aug 28 with 5711 viewsGroveR

carnival on 08:45 - Aug 28 with 5704 viewseghamranger

Rather keep away from the area personally. Went a few years ago and was amazed at the amount of boarded up places. Then realised it was just for the carnival weekend. Great music and atmosphere though.... Just got a bit nasty early evening
carnival on 08:57 - Aug 28 with 5676 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

The best thing about the carnival is the people watching - find a nice spot with some friendly types, sit back and enjoy, don't move till you can't move.
carnival on 09:35 - Aug 28 with 5604 views18StoneOfHoop

Kids Sunday always more peaceable,less stressed,less packed,more fun.
Say a prayer for no precipitation and minimal trouble.

I will be following local Askew Road W12 Peckings crew playing old Studio One classics the legendary Price brothers,Chris and Duke at the controls Finches,Duke of Wellington pub corner of Elgin Crescent and Portobello from 3pm today and then from 6pm Don Letts DJ roots session after-party at the favourite pub of my life The KPH
(BTW The KP is now happily reverting to less nouvelle yuppie and more old great unwashed riff-raff waster ne'er-do-well type. Gruff self-styled Messiah Vince Power the music promoter retired to Eire not missed in the slightest.)

On Bank Holiday Monday I will be mostly seeing Toots and The Maytals ,Mike Skinner The Streets,Norman Jay, Lee Scratch Perry,Madness etcetera on Clapham Common one day festival.

[Post edited 28 Aug 2016 10:40]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

carnival on 09:46 - Aug 28 with 5564 views1MoreBrightonR

Looking forward to it as always and will be making a few litres of punch for our little group as always. Does worry me that every year one of the bigger sound systems disappears and isnt really replaced but i always find a fun spot. After dark, will probably head back to east london as everywhere is eithe rticketed or a pain to get in to and wandering around inthe dark isnt great fun.
carnival on 09:51 - Aug 28 with 5554 viewslondonscottish

Helicopters out over Willesden and a pre-party in full swing over by the High Road.

Having missed the last five I can't wait to get down there.

Login to get fewer ads

carnival on 10:08 - Aug 28 with 5509 viewsLadbrokeR

18 stone we get in the KPH a fair bit.In fact we are going to try and get down there for Don Letts later. You're right it's almost a gastro pub in its appearance but it's fabric is very different and I think always will be.
carnival on 11:33 - Aug 28 with 5411 viewslondonscottish

Fecking drizzle.

Never put me off in my clubbing-mode days but I've got kids in tow now.

Can't really tell them to dance it off.......

*sigh*

carnival on 12:07 - Aug 28 with 5369 viewsLblock

The punch....... not too fierce I hope?!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

carnival on 14:20 - Aug 28 with 5265 viewslondonscottish

Carnival LET ME HEAR SOME NOISE!!!!!!

carnival on 15:01 - Aug 28 with 5209 viewsDiscodroids

I hope theres no Baseball capped William Hague , teamed up with Ffion in Marks and spencer Blue Harbour Double denim , dying of fright and dancing with fused joints to the Joey jay soundsystem this year .. That image is burned into my soul .
[Post edited 28 Aug 2016 15:09]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

carnival on 17:48 - Aug 28 with 5013 viewsrsonist

Anyone else ever find it slightly odd how QPR rarely mention carnival. I'm not saying we should have a float with Karl Henry on bogling but it is our patch and we have a historically sizable West Indian community support that we never seem to reach out to...
carnival on 18:14 - Aug 28 with 4972 viewsDorse

carnival on 09:35 - Aug 28 by 18StoneOfHoop

Kids Sunday always more peaceable,less stressed,less packed,more fun.
Say a prayer for no precipitation and minimal trouble.

I will be following local Askew Road W12 Peckings crew playing old Studio One classics the legendary Price brothers,Chris and Duke at the controls Finches,Duke of Wellington pub corner of Elgin Crescent and Portobello from 3pm today and then from 6pm Don Letts DJ roots session after-party at the favourite pub of my life The KPH
(BTW The KP is now happily reverting to less nouvelle yuppie and more old great unwashed riff-raff waster ne'er-do-well type. Gruff self-styled Messiah Vince Power the music promoter retired to Eire not missed in the slightest.)

On Bank Holiday Monday I will be mostly seeing Toots and The Maytals ,Mike Skinner The Streets,Norman Jay, Lee Scratch Perry,Madness etcetera on Clapham Common one day festival.

[Post edited 28 Aug 2016 10:40]

I am proper jealous. Best we get down here is The Great Dorset Steam Fair, wherein the locals are bemused and amazed by modern steam-powered technology and the exhibitors swap nasally-voiced adenoidal stories whilst replacing the sellotape on their NHS tortoiseshell spectacles. Roads utterly choked by slack-jawed gawkers travelling in the campervans / caravans that will inevitably become the location for their next round of car-keys-in-the-bowl shenanigans with similar grim, sinister-looking couples as the sun goes down.

Basically I am surrounded by cunce.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

carnival on 18:43 - Aug 28 with 4942 viewsBlackCrowe

High point of my youth being here for this in Meanwhile Gardens for Carnival watching Aswad - '83 i think.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

carnival on 19:38 - Aug 28 with 4887 viewslondonscottish

Just back and had a right laugh.

But I'm not at all happy about the removal of Sancho Panza.

Oh well life moves on.

Just need to go and find them somewhere else.

Massive shame, though.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2016 19:44]

carnival on 00:18 - Aug 29 with 4732 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I was trying to get from Harrow Road to Barlby Road last year in full metal togs and my really loud earphones. It took me 45 mins and lots of funny looks. (admittedly I was going against the flow)

However i did get my Kinks overdubbed with reggae which weirdy sounded ok.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

carnival on 06:54 - Aug 29 with 4674 viewslondonscottish

I know where I'm going next year;

http://www.sanchopanza.org/

Everyone I spoke to yesterday is gutted that SP have gone. Doesn't sound like the organisers did anything to find them a new site but were quite happy to put yet another R&B one in their place.

For a generation of clubbers the only two questions on Sunday and Monday were "When will you get to Good Times?" and "When are you going on to Sancho Panza?".

The end of an era.

carnival on 09:10 - Aug 30 with 4394 viewsBrightonhoop

Always used to enjoy it, until the rioting was getting out of hand. You'd see the first brick go over and suddenly the sky was full of bricks and bottles. ot good sometimes. There's a great photo of Don Lets facing down a line of riot police somewhere.
How was his set at the KPH?
carnival on 14:42 - Aug 30 with 4226 viewsstevec

Used to enjoy going when living round there but there's always been an undercurrent of violence, predominantly off side roads and the media play this down.

Hearing the Police Fed have had enough of their officers getting a beating, 43 of them this year, and imagine a quite different media reaction if a London football ground was putting coppers in hospital on that scale. Just listened to radio 5 interview and you get the feeling the presenters felt it was all part and parcel.
carnival on 19:29 - Aug 30 with 4075 views18StoneOfHoop

carnival on 09:10 - Aug 30 by Brightonhoop

Always used to enjoy it, until the rioting was getting out of hand. You'd see the first brick go over and suddenly the sky was full of bricks and bottles. ot good sometimes. There's a great photo of Don Lets facing down a line of riot police somewhere.
How was his set at the KPH?

I've been drinking in the KPH since 1983 and that's the best music session I've ever enjoyed there.
Letts knows his roots,rockers,blue beat ska and Studio One as much as anyone..

Hope he comes back next year. ALERT!! FAO Ginger Clique Fuhrer Leutnant METALLICA Also thoroughly enjoyed necking this long-haired freckly ginger soft warm sweetheart Katerina. The little tease wouldn't give me her phone number though ..she kept pointing to a little boring foo ker saying that's my hubbie.
Arse!

Only downer was that 'cos I was so slaughtered I allowed my irreplaceable 1982 crest KPH Ladbroke Grove No Dogs No Chelski 4ftx2ft flag to be pinched.

40th anniversary of this famous photo of Letts in front of the Bill.
at the worst ever Carnival riot 1976.
My late Dad was the only white man on the committee,(as treasurer,unlike some others he could be somewhat relied upon - what with devout Christian and JP credentials/bona fides - not to do a runner with the funds or embezzle the $$$$)
There were loud demands for it to be closed down.

It was used as The Clash album cover for Train In Vain.

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14192590_1715640322030944_84778931

http://resource.download.wjec.co.uk.s3.amazonaws.com/vtc/2013-14/History/Austeri

[Post edited 30 Aug 2016 20:07]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024