Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York tips 22:04 - Aug 28 with 3323 viewsnix

Off to NY for four days. Would appreciate any tips of must dos. Especially anything off the normal tourist track. Thanks in advance.
New York tips on 22:14 - Aug 28 with 3309 viewsthame_hoops

You need to just explore the place yourself, everyone has loads of
Recommendations but it's such a big place. See times sq obviously but avoid bars and restaurants around there and head to Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen etc and find cool Bars
Enjoy
New York tips on 22:20 - Aug 28 with 3301 viewseghamranger

Few of the boys on here live there and will tell u loads. Personally I've been there twice in 6 years. I would say

Staten Island Ferry (free and great views)
Katz Deli
La Esquina (Mexican)
Carmines (Italian near Times Square)
Ground Zero ( so sad)
The Highline (walk it/ great views)
Grand Central station (fascinating and great food court in basement)

It's expensive so take lots of money. Traffics a nightmare.

Enjoy
New York tips on 22:24 - Aug 28 with 3295 viewsnix

Thanks guys. Deffo plan to do lots of walking and check out all the districts. Never heard of the highline. Will check that out.
New York tips on 04:10 - Aug 29 with 3174 viewsKonk

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/165613/new-york/#6

Some great advice on that thread, Nix. I loved wandering round Brooklyn neighbourhoods on slow bar crawls, the High line is great and I'd take Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. Brilliant city, but plan ahead as like London there's plenty of dross in amongst the gold. You'll have a great trip. Jealous.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

New York tips on 08:09 - Aug 29 with 3118 viewsnix

New York tips on 04:10 - Aug 29 by Konk

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/165613/new-york/#6

Some great advice on that thread, Nix. I loved wandering round Brooklyn neighbourhoods on slow bar crawls, the High line is great and I'd take Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. Brilliant city, but plan ahead as like London there's plenty of dross in amongst the gold. You'll have a great trip. Jealous.

Konk that's brilliant. I thought I'd remembered seen this thread but not being, ahem, very technologically friendly I wouldn't have found it. It's just the kind of things I was looking for. Thanks very much. I mean to squeeze the best out of every moment out there.
New York tips on 11:24 - Aug 29 with 3012 viewsstowmarketrange

New York tips on 22:24 - Aug 28 by nix

Thanks guys. Deffo plan to do lots of walking and check out all the districts. Never heard of the highline. Will check that out.

I was there in May 2001.I walked from our hotel on 44th st all the way down over the Brooklyn bridge and back again.I went straight past the Empire State without looking up and totally missed it.The twin towers had some brilliant views from the top.We will have to go back and see how it looks now.
Also I took in a Yankees game for about $15.They lost 1-0.

As others have said before me,there is so much to see and do.Enjoy it.
New York tips on 11:32 - Aug 29 with 3004 viewspeejaybee

T https://www.viator.com/New-York-City-tours/Transfers-and-Ground-Transport/d687-g is a usefull site

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

New York tips on 13:54 - Aug 29 with 2935 viewsTW_R

New York tips on 22:24 - Aug 28 by nix

It really does depend on what you fancy doing as 4 days will disappear very quickly. If you want to get a feel for the place and see a lot of it I would just get on a hop on/hop off bus tour. They take you to all the main tourist attractions and you can also get entry tickets to most places from them avoiding queues.

One World Trade observatory is worth a visit as is the 9/11 memorials, although I found it very strange seeing thousands of people taking selfies and photos on a site where 3,000 people died at. The 9/11 museum is next to the memorials, which was very moving, but you could spend half a day in there quite easily. I think it was open to 9pm though.

I agree about the Highline. That's definitely worth a visit and you can walk along it to Greenwich market. If you want to get out of Manhattan you could go over to Hoboken. Quite a nice place to walk around with good bars and restaurants. Also, depending on where you're staying there a few quieter restaurants down W37th street west of 8th Avenue.
Login to get fewer ads

New York tips on 15:06 - Aug 29 with 2889 viewswestberksr

If you like a good bar culture and choice of restaurants an evening in the Lower East Side is highly recommended.

http://thestantonsocial.com

This was very good for a night out, but as with any big city check reviews for current hotspots.

Or Red Rooster in Harlem if you like soul, blues etc. Book before you go though.

http://redroosterharlem.com
New York tips on 15:09 - Aug 29 with 2887 viewsBoston

New York tips on 13:54 - Aug 29 by TW_R

It really does depend on what you fancy doing as 4 days will disappear very quickly. If you want to get a feel for the place and see a lot of it I would just get on a hop on/hop off bus tour. They take you to all the main tourist attractions and you can also get entry tickets to most places from them avoiding queues.

One World Trade observatory is worth a visit as is the 9/11 memorials, although I found it very strange seeing thousands of people taking selfies and photos on a site where 3,000 people died at. The 9/11 museum is next to the memorials, which was very moving, but you could spend half a day in there quite easily. I think it was open to 9pm though.

I agree about the Highline. That's definitely worth a visit and you can walk along it to Greenwich market. If you want to get out of Manhattan you could go over to Hoboken. Quite a nice place to walk around with good bars and restaurants. Also, depending on where you're staying there a few quieter restaurants down W37th street west of 8th Avenue.

"I want to wake up in a City that doesn't sleep". Strange that when ya fink abaht it, why are you getting some kip when everyone else is obviously on those little blue pills?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

New York tips on 15:09 - Aug 29 with 2885 viewskensalriser

High Line is a must but avoid peak hours if you can. Go midweek and if you're an early riser, first thing. Went in April and it was mobbed.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

New York tips on 19:43 - Aug 29 with 2795 viewsYorkRanger

Nix - great city hope you have a great trip. For what it's worth we did a fairly typical tourist trip, Statue of Liberty, 911 memorial and museum, top of the rock (at night), Empire State in the day, Central Park etc. Had a fantastic time.
New York tips on 08:48 - Aug 30 with 2683 viewsNW10Hoop

New York tips on 22:20 - Aug 28 by eghamranger

Few of the boys on here live there and will tell u loads. Personally I've been there twice in 6 years. I would say

Staten Island Ferry (free and great views)
Katz Deli
La Esquina (Mexican)
Carmines (Italian near Times Square)
Ground Zero ( so sad)
The Highline (walk it/ great views)
Grand Central station (fascinating and great food court in basement)

It's expensive so take lots of money. Traffics a nightmare.

Enjoy

I was going to recommend almost everything on this list. (I haven't been to Carmines)

Book a table at La Esquina, looks like an old corner store from the outside, and inside on the ground floor before you get taken downstairs for wicked Mexican food and booze!

The Staten Island ferry is free, get on and then just get the next one back.

If you are going to go up a skyscraper, I'd go up to the Top of the Rock at the Rockerfeller centre. You'll get amazing views up towards Central Park and downtown taking in the Empire State. If you can go an hour before sunset and stay for a coupke of hours do that - the city looks great by day, and then when the lights come on it looks even better
New York tips on 11:55 - Aug 30 with 2634 viewsOllie23

9/11 museum is a must. Went there last month, difficult to describe it as an "enjoyable" experience but it was very moving.

Williamsburg in Brooklyn is good for a Saturday, flea markets and plenty of street food to try out, view of the Manhattan skyline from there is brilliant too.

Might be worth buying a New York Pass too if doing loads of tourist stuff https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/?aid=12&gclid=CJOGoe786M4CFcKfGwodP1cEsw

Enjoy the trip, no place like it.
New York tips on 12:09 - Aug 30 with 2620 viewsnix

Thanks everyone. You're all brilliant. So much I want to do here. Worried won't fit it all in. Really appreciate it. Meanwhile come on u Rs (and wish Fulham well for Konk. As long as they don't end up above us obvs!).
New York tips on 16:54 - Aug 30 with 2565 viewsBoston

Actually, there aren't many tips in New York, if you're keeping Kosher.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2016 17:38]

New York tips on 16:59 - Aug 30 with 2561 viewsMancR

Went up the One World, Freedom Tower in May- it's an amazing experience, so cleverly done. watched the sun going down up there drinking some great beer. Eventually got chucked out by the cleaners.
New York tips on 17:42 - Aug 30 with 2548 viewsBoston

New York tips on 16:59 - Aug 30 by MancR

Went up the One World, Freedom Tower in May- it's an amazing experience, so cleverly done. watched the sun going down up there drinking some great beer. Eventually got chucked out by the cleaners.

Cuidado Piso Mojado....loosely translated as, we clean the floors with urine señor. Not a lot of people know that.

New York tips on 20:59 - Aug 30 with 2487 viewsswitchingcode

The village is a great place to hit at night rock jazz blues and comedy clubs all very close together
New York tips on 21:44 - Aug 30 with 2438 viewswestberksr

Hope your watching BBC2, quite a good appetiser for New York trips.

Bit of a behind the scenes on the city, if not look on iPlayer, thik there are 3 episodes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024