Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Porridge 09:15 - Aug 29 with 5040 viewsMonahoop

Did anyone on here see the one off updated remake of the the classic comedy series Porridge last night on BBC1? If so what did you think? Now Porridge with Ronnie Barker was one of my all time favourite comedy series, so I was a bit sceptical of this remake before I watched it , but I thought it pretty good as remakes go with the jokes and characters brought up to date, but keeping within the traditions of the original series. I suppose it helped having the original writers on board. The prospects of a new series perhaps?

I also watched the remake of Are You Being Served beforehand. I never liked that series when it first aired and my opinion has never changed after watching last nights sad effort. Better left in the 70's that one.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Porridge on 10:37 - Aug 29 with 4923 viewsloftboy

Thought are you being served was awful but enjoyed the porridge one, nice reference to the original fletch in it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Porridge on 11:19 - Aug 29 with 4849 viewsterryb

I refused to satch AYBS. However, it would have been impossible to have been worse than the originals!

Porridge was far better than I had expected, but I found it impossible not to compare the characters with the original.

In particualr McKay & Barrowclough were, IMO, far superior. The prison governor was an improvement though!
Porridge on 18:59 - Aug 29 with 4606 viewsTGRRRSSS

I quite enjoyed Porridge but AYBS - dear dear dear.

The only problem with the prison officers (especially McKay) was they were the closest to cut out copies with new names whereas nobody else was too like the originals Fletch aside but as it was his Grandson that was fair enough.
Porridge on 09:12 - Aug 30 with 4362 viewspomanjou

Porridge. Very good as remakes go although Mckay needs to up his game. Lets have more.

AYBS, cringe making as previous. Forget it.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Porridge on 12:16 - Aug 30 with 4251 viewsPinnerPaul

Its all opinons isn't it?

My Mum hated Porridge - loved AYBS
Porridge on 18:39 - Sep 3 with 4056 viewsloftboy

Enjoyed goodnight sweetheart last night, all the original cast plus his kids, left it open for a new series by the look of it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Porridge on 19:15 - Sep 3 with 4026 viewsCamberleyR

I caught Porridge on iPlayer and really wanted to like it as it is probably in my top 3 sitcoms plus it had original writers Clement & La Frenais writing it too. I have to say I was very disappointed. The extremely irritating canned laughter ruined it (why not do it in front of a studio audience?) and I'm afraid to say I didn't laugh once.

Ronnie Barker and the Fletcher character are very big shoes to fill and although I have liked Kevin Bishop in other things I don't think he pulled it off. Best to leave it in the 70s. Like above I thought the remake of Goodnight Sweetheart worked in shifting the periods on 17 years and could see that getting a series again.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Porridge on 20:32 - Sep 3 with 3962 viewsDWQPR

Porridge on 19:15 - Sep 3 by CamberleyR

I caught Porridge on iPlayer and really wanted to like it as it is probably in my top 3 sitcoms plus it had original writers Clement & La Frenais writing it too. I have to say I was very disappointed. The extremely irritating canned laughter ruined it (why not do it in front of a studio audience?) and I'm afraid to say I didn't laugh once.

Ronnie Barker and the Fletcher character are very big shoes to fill and although I have liked Kevin Bishop in other things I don't think he pulled it off. Best to leave it in the 70s. Like above I thought the remake of Goodnight Sweetheart worked in shifting the periods on 17 years and could see that getting a series again.

Thought it was a very 'hammy' performance by Kevin Bishop in Porridge, totally overacted. Agree about Goodnight Sweetheart, very enjoyable and I also felt that it looked like it was left open for a full revival. Maybe the Beeb are testing the water with each one to see what would work in the future and which wouldn't. Young Hyacinth was also pretty good and the actress that played Hyacinth certainly got the nuances that the older Hyacinth portrade. Don't think it would have a long term future though.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

Porridge on 09:48 - Sep 4 with 3825 viewsDraytonR

Enjoyed Porridge , but Til death us do part was a complete and utter clusterf**k , but then again Warren Mitchel was a hardact to follow , best left well alone me thinks.
Porridge on 10:50 - Sep 4 with 3791 viewsLowerloftLad

I enjoy the likes of only fools and horse,porridge,goodnight my sweetheart so I was putting off watching the revamps as I thought it terrible but I did enjoy porridge episode. "4 your not a Millwall fan our you"

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Porridge on 11:57 - Sep 4 with 3731 viewsizlingtonhoop

Porridge on 19:15 - Sep 3 by CamberleyR

And the classic "I won't let you catch me" line was set up wrongly, so that it didn't really make sense.

Goodnight Sweetheart, always a gentle if guilty pleasure, was good, I agree.

And Are You Being Served was very true to its Saucy Postcard roots. Raised a ribald grin I must admit.
Porridge on 15:19 - Sep 5 with 3550 viewsQPR442

I had the pleasure of staying in at the weekend and managed to catch the 3 shows and strictly.
this was my take on it. Other than Goodnight Sweetheart I didn't watch the other shows much before, so I don't fall into the 'never remake them' camp.

AYBS
what a waste of time. it had one joke that made me smirked but really was poor. The bloke from Gavin and Stacey should give up comedy.

Porridge
Was the better of the 2 and I thought it was okay. Maybe I would like to see another episode.

Goodnight Sweetheart
Why did they ruin my old memories of which was a good BBC show. NL playing Gary looked like an OAP. Never should he have agreed to doing that. His mate Ron looked like he had eaten all the rations in the second World war. He was so fat he struggled to get in the car. The only guy who hadn't aged was Reg the policeman. Once again a poor remake.

Finally, I watched Strictly. What can I say about that? What a waste of a licence fee that is.
Has it always been like that? Could it get any camper? Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with gays or camp presenters but why was everyone so camp and ramming their cheap tacky innuendo's down your throat at every stage? Especially that Will Young and the Judge bloke. Is this the BBC policy now? Was anyone on that show straight? Seriously is that the state of weekend BBC TV?

I won't be sitting in watching TV again if so.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2016 15:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024