Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? 11:03 - Sep 20 with 24456 viewsDiscodroids

Could be our First County Championship Title Since 1993. Im Watching the Winner take all decider Vs Yorkshire over the next 4 days Like a crazed Alex in his eye clamps @Clockwork Orange .
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 11:06]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 22:40 - Sep 23 with 1895 viewsHendonHoop

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 17:30 - Sep 23 by stowmarketrange

Hat trick to win it.Well done.

I always knew we would do it! Haha.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 00:11 - Sep 24 with 1837 viewsAndyB

TRJ and Gubbs. Feckin heroes.
Somerset whinging - contrived results happen all the time and they WOULD have done the same.
Yorkies moaning about Strauss banning Root and Bairstow. News for you lads - central contracts. England main priority. Any England manager would have done the same.
Hampshire relegated - wonderful
Surrey no where - shame they didn't go down too.
Fantastic day.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 01:24 - Sep 24 with 1816 viewsHunterhoop

Back from the Taverners. What a day! What a session!

Went to school with Toby. Played Colt cricket with him for several years. What a bloke. Middlesex legend. You don't win the county championship with a hat trick with 4 overs left in the season very often!!! Bloke always comes up trump.

Was getting very nervous this AM. I thought our declaration was generous...but boy, we did it.

The Taverners was loud and boisterous and fair play, all the players turned up in their whites and got smashed with all the fans. That's a people's sport for you!!! Ollie Rayner downing pints on the bar. Gubbins serving beers. Toby drinking out of the trophy (and allowing fans to do the same), Ryan Higgins getting me to pour my pint into his mouth from a foot above him, Franklin shaking EVERYONE'S hand before trying to find his wife, ALL the players joining in every song. They loved it. We loved it. I loved it. AMAZING!

TRJ is a star though. Who does that?! Roy of the Rovers stuff. Unbelievable.

And fully deserved.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 01:25 - Sep 24 with 1815 viewsHunterhoop

And for anyone in the bar...I was the one giving the VERY loud "Middle Middle Middle" chants. Voice has almost gone.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 01:27 - Sep 24 with 1814 viewsSonofNorfolt

After the declaration, Somerset players were tweeting that the target was too easy and the title had been gifted to Yorkshire.

Steve Edwards would have been pleased, and started a fight to celebrate. x
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 04:58 - Sep 24 with 1793 viewsFredManRave

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 01:24 - Sep 24 by Hunterhoop

Went to school with Toby. Played Colt cricket with him for several years. What a bloke. Middlesex legend. You don't win the county championship with a hat trick with 4 overs left in the season very often!!! Bloke always comes up trump.

Was getting very nervous this AM. I thought our declaration was generous...but boy, we did it.

The Taverners was loud and boisterous and fair play, all the players turned up in their whites and got smashed with all the fans. That's a people's sport for you!!! Ollie Rayner downing pints on the bar. Gubbins serving beers. Toby drinking out of the trophy (and allowing fans to do the same), Ryan Higgins getting me to pour my pint into his mouth from a foot above him, Franklin shaking EVERYONE'S hand before trying to find his wife, ALL the players joining in every song. They loved it. We loved it. I loved it. AMAZING!

And fully deserved.

Sounds great Hunter, pleased for all that have had a great day and it's what sport is really about and it's how it would be celebrated in the perfect world, football n'all.

[Post edited 24 Sep 2016 5:10]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 07:40 - Sep 24 with 1756 viewsmikeygunn

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 00:11 - Sep 24 by AndyB

Somerset whinging - contrived results happen all the time and they WOULD have done the same.
Yorkies moaning about Strauss banning Root and Bairstow. News for you lads - central contracts. England main priority. Any England manager would have done the same.
Fantastic day.

News for you lad - Yorkies were not moaning about Root, he was never going to play. Bairstow however does not have a central contract so you can understand why Dizzy would have been expecting him to play.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 08:03 - Sep 24 with 1739 viewsjohnhoop

Had to go out during the crucial period yesterday but managed to watch the recording without knowing the score when I got back and what an incredible finish. Was worried at the start that the declaration was too generous but with the lack of fielding restrictions, the pudding of a pitch and Finn and especially Roland-Jones's superbly accurate bowling it proved to be just the right sort of target to turn it into an amazing climax to the season.
Felt sorry for Bresnan though, as he trudged off. Nobody could have done more for their team and he actually looks a better bat than half of the England top order.
Login to get fewer ads

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 10:40 - Sep 24 with 1688 viewsElHoop

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 11:01 - Sep 24 with 1672 viewsHunterhoop

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 07:40 - Sep 24 by mikeygunn

News for you lad - Yorkies were not moaning about Root, he was never going to play. Bairstow however does not have a central contract so you can understand why Dizzy would have been expecting him to play.

They were told in July by the ECB that Bairstow would not be available (along with Root) for the last two games...so Dizzy should certainly not have been expecting him to play.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 11:34 - Sep 24 with 1672 viewsElHoop

As I understand it, Root (and the other centrally contracted players) are on £700k annual contracts from the ECB plus £12k per test He isn't paid by Yorkshire. Bairstow is not on one of these so he gets his county contract paid for by Yorkshire plus the £12k per test from the ECB.

So Yorkshire are entitled to expect Root to be at the mercy of the ECB but Bairstow is paid by them so he should really have been made available to them. He who pays the piper calling the tune and all that. If the FA said that Rooney couldn't play for Man Utd then there would be an almighty fuss.

The thing is that central contracts enable counties to replace their England players at no extra cost, so to blame Yorkshire for nicking a few players from elsewhere is a bit unfair as they are surely not supposed to supply half of the England team and their own side from their borders? I think that they've been brilliant for England and Yorkshire these past few years and we'd be in trouble without them.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 12:18 - Sep 24 with 1648 viewsAndyB

Even before central contracts, players from successful counties not being availble due test matches was always a problem. "Victims of your own success". Understand that this situation was a bit different as there are no england games clashing, but both teams have had players missing whole summer. And Middx lost most overs to weather this season, in games where they probably would have gone on to win.

Middx in the 80's and 90's were decimated by test call-ups.

Oh and, Cricket australia refused to let us have Adam Voges for the last few games. Our captain and averaging 77 with the bat.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 12:26 - Sep 24 with 1640 viewsElHoop

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 12:18 - Sep 24 by AndyB

Even before central contracts, players from successful counties not being availble due test matches was always a problem. "Victims of your own success". Understand that this situation was a bit different as there are no england games clashing, but both teams have had players missing whole summer. And Middx lost most overs to weather this season, in games where they probably would have gone on to win.

Middx in the 80's and 90's were decimated by test call-ups.

Oh and, Cricket australia refused to let us have Adam Voges for the last few games. Our captain and averaging 77 with the bat.

I haven't got a problem with Middlesex winning the title at all, but I think that Yorkshire's contribution to the whole game at all levels has to be recognised and maybe Bairstow should have been allowed to play. I doubt that it would have made much difference as the declaration agreement was the game and Bairstow would have struggled to get the ball away too.
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 12:27 - Sep 24 with 1638 viewsCamberleyR

Well done the Middle Saxons but er, 18-11

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 12:38 - Sep 24 with 1630 viewsAndyB

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 12:27 - Sep 24 by CamberleyR

Well done the Middle Saxons but er, 18-11

Technically 19-13.
But...14 years and counting Oval boy. 😉
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 20:23 - Sep 24 with 1554 viewsColombiR

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 01:24 - Sep 24 by Hunterhoop

And fully deserved.

Bl**dy hell Hunter, unbelievably jealous.
Was reduced to 10 hours of Colombian craft ales. Feeling the pain this morning.
First year I've not played a single day of Middlesex League cricket, as I could only afford a short trip back and it clashed with two weddings (rather inconsiderate to get married in a Saturday in the cricket season).
Still, heading to Rio to play in the South American Championships (affectionately known as the ballSACs) in October, so not complaining too much...
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 20:54 - Sep 24 with 1534 viewsYorkRanger

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 14:00 - Sep 21 by Discodroids

Yep i remember that about david thomas, i think Clive Lloyd said he was one of the fastest 3 english bowlers he had faced in county cricket along with Greg Thomas from Glamorgan and Paul Smith from Warwicks.

good side surrey in the those days,,Monte Lynch, Pat Pocock, Graham roope, David smith, and the openers Alan Butcher and Grahame Clinton .

Disco I'm late to this thread and congrats to Middlesex.

Your post here brought back great memories for me. I was a junior member at Surrey from about 1975 to 1982, used to pop up the Northern Line from Tooting Bec to the Oval and I used to spend virtually the whole summer at the Oval. In those days the junior members also used to get into the Test Matches for free. I still remember my first taste of red stripe as a very young lad when the great West Indian side came to the Oval in the hot summer of 1976. The atmosphere was electric and the heat unbelievable. The West Indies were as ever magnificently supported in South London and the game was most remembered for a superb double century by Viv Richards and awesome bowling by Michael Holding. Halcyon days.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63167.html

As for Surrey great names you mention. I would add to that Robin Jackman, Geoff Howarth, Sylvester Clarke and of course the off spin and phenomenal hitting of Intikhab Alam. I also remember Dave Thomas, quick bowler and more than capable left handed batsman. Saddened to see your note on his death, I hadn't realised that.

Great memories indeed and nice development within this thread of some great cricket nostalgia.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2016 20:56]
Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 15:39 - Oct 3 with 1428 viewsHantsR

Any Middlesex Supporters on Here ? on 00:11 - Sep 24 by AndyB

Fantastic day.

"Hampshire relegated - wonderful"

oh wait...maybe next year?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37541136
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024