Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4-4-2 Does Work. 18:22 - Sep 24 with 2841 viewsBostonR

So much better when we went 442. JFH has some good options now because the two Polish lads were outstanding! Caulker was also excellent and I thought Hall played a typical "rough and tumble" centre-back game which he handled well. Poulter and Sylla will be a handful and based on what I watched today we will get better-just depends on what we do with Cherry.
Really enjoyed watching the Polish winger-was outstanding.
4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:07 - Sep 24 with 2222 viewsWestbourneR

I agree but surely Washington has to given a go when we play two upfront? He'd relish finally having a target man like Sylla to play off. Porter is just a less good version of what Sylla

Hall is a weak link, he's lightweight and a poor header of the ball.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:16 - Sep 24 with 2179 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:07 - Sep 24 by WestbourneR

I agree but surely Washington has to given a go when we play two upfront? He'd relish finally having a target man like Sylla to play off. Porter is just a less good version of what Sylla

Harsh to pick on Hall, the whole backline has been a bit suspect. Looks like bad form rather than something terminal.
4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:26 - Sep 24 with 2152 viewsTacticalR

If you're going to whack the ball forward at every opportunity, then obviously it is better to have Sylla and Polter than Washington.

As the op mentioned Chery...one reason why Chery is better than a lot of the other players is that he always keeps it on the ground.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2016 19:36]

Air hostess clique

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:31 - Sep 24 with 2127 viewsbosh67

As soon as we went to Polter and Sylla up front Birmingham dropped back 20 yards and barely got out of their half. Their big number 5 was having a field day until that moment, but from then on they had their backs to the wall, which is what you want from a home performance. Only one team in it at that point and Birmingham were hanging on.

The second half performance was a lot more positive from then on. Much better to start with two big strikers up front. If it doesn't work then you can bring on a smaller striker in Washington. 4-4-2 at home means that opponents really have to drop back and deal with that threat. It changed the game today.

Borysiuk gets stuck in and releases Luongo. Wszolekat once he got up to speed looked very useful indeed on the right.

Defensively we are still not well enough organised. Hall and Caulker did at least close the gap between them second half and once Polter and Sylla were up top they had little to do.

Will be interesting to see if any lights switched on second half for JFH. Much easier to control games when you are on the front foot and the opponents have to deal with you deep in their own half and area. With Borysiuk he is fast and can sit comfortably in that holding position.

We deserved more than a point in the end but a point stops the rot. But JFH has to look at that and the reaction of the crowd second half and think, okay, this works much better. Shopido did well but we really do need the option of a left sided left footed winger. Bidwell did well but has far too much to do.

Better but good old fashioned 4-4-2 is far more entertaining, given this level at home.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:33 - Sep 24 with 2120 viewsHollowayRanger

chery was terrible today wosrt ive seen him

hall poor as well

caulker improved once he scored and bossed defence from then on

onouha STILL not a captain or a rightback

both poles very good especially the sub motm for me

when polter came on game changed we actually look good and entertaining to watch ,polter actually was terrible but JUST being there made a massive difference oh the joy of seeing two forwards in a home game!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:33 - Sep 24 with 2120 viewsspencer

With the players we have...442 looked the best formation. Not saying it is better than one up front...other teams use it and it works well.Today, when we went to 442...we looked like scoring.
4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:41 - Sep 24 with 2090 viewstraininvain

Chery nowhere near as effective in a 442 as the 2nd half showed today.
4-4-2 Does Work. on 20:18 - Sep 24 with 2015 viewsbaz_qpr

Judging by JFH comments on BBC London afterwards won't be starting 4-4-2 at the moment because Chery can't defend and he's not prepared to drop our best player just yet. Looks like Polter injured anyway - Shame I think Polter and Sylla together give our midfield space to play.
Login to get fewer ads

4-4-2 Does Work. on 20:40 - Sep 24 with 1936 viewsterryb

I didn't see us play 4-4-2.

Polter played berhind Sylla in the "number ten" role, with Chery moving to wide left.

We also looked at our best at the start of the second half, which was long before Polter was on the pitch. The Sylla chance in the last ten seconds ws made harder by both players trying to make the header. I would much prefer that though than nobody attacking the ball!

I think we will only see the two on the pitch at the same time if we are chasing the game.
4-4-2 Does Work. on 21:08 - Sep 24 with 1874 viewsNortholt_Rs

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:31 - Sep 24 by bosh67

As soon as we went to Polter and Sylla up front Birmingham dropped back 20 yards and barely got out of their half. Their big number 5 was having a field day until that moment, but from then on they had their backs to the wall, which is what you want from a home performance. Only one team in it at that point and Birmingham were hanging on.

The second half performance was a lot more positive from then on. Much better to start with two big strikers up front. If it doesn't work then you can bring on a smaller striker in Washington. 4-4-2 at home means that opponents really have to drop back and deal with that threat. It changed the game today.

Borysiuk gets stuck in and releases Luongo. Wszolekat once he got up to speed looked very useful indeed on the right.

Defensively we are still not well enough organised. Hall and Caulker did at least close the gap between them second half and once Polter and Sylla were up top they had little to do.

Will be interesting to see if any lights switched on second half for JFH. Much easier to control games when you are on the front foot and the opponents have to deal with you deep in their own half and area. With Borysiuk he is fast and can sit comfortably in that holding position.

We deserved more than a point in the end but a point stops the rot. But JFH has to look at that and the reaction of the crowd second half and think, okay, this works much better. Shopido did well but we really do need the option of a left sided left footed winger. Bidwell did well but has far too much to do.

Better but good old fashioned 4-4-2 is far more entertaining, given this level at home.

Way more positive today and I reckon we were unlucky not to come away with all three points. Best performance I've seen from us since the Leeds game. Onwards and upwards. COYRs!!!!
[Post edited 24 Sep 2016 21:09]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

4-4-2 Does Work. on 21:14 - Sep 24 with 1846 viewscaliforniahoop

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:07 - Sep 24 by WestbourneR

I still hope JFH turns things around but he appeared to go against everything he has said, playing Chery wide, 4-4-2, he also said playing Washington wide wasn't an option but has done so.

All said and done, fair play to him for changing things around, onwards and upwards!
4-4-2 Does Work. on 21:23 - Sep 24 with 1807 viewsSimonJames

I think I'd prefer 6-0-4

100% of people who drink water will die.

4-4-2 Does Work. on 21:52 - Sep 24 with 1742 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

4-4-2 Does Work. on 21:23 - Sep 24 by SimonJames

I think I'd prefer 6-0-4

Gong Bao Chicken?
4-4-2 Does Work. on 12:54 - Sep 25 with 1482 viewsderbyhoop

4-4-2 doesn't always work. it can be made to work. Provided you have the players that are comfortable in that formation. It helps enormously when you're all over a team, who are happy to drop back to the edge of their own penalty area.

The problem with 4-4-2 is, usually, the defensive part of the game. The 2 wide men have to be prepared to track back and the 2 in the middle have to be very responsible with the defensive side of the game. Where does our best player, Chery, fit into that system?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

4-4-2 Does Work. on 15:25 - Sep 25 with 1422 viewsdaveB

I thought we were well on top before the change to 4-4-2 and Polter seemed to be getting in the way rather than helping Sylla
4-4-2 Does Work. on 15:32 - Sep 25 with 1410 viewsstevec

No place to hide with 442 and happily and surprisingly coincided with Luongos best performance for the club.
4-4-2 Does Work. on 15:35 - Sep 25 with 1398 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What would have happened if we played a proper 442 against Newcastle..........
4-4-2 Does Work. on 18:47 - Sep 25 with 1344 viewsdaveB

4-4-2 Does Work. on 15:35 - Sep 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

What would have happened if we played a proper 442 against Newcastle..........

We did in the second half and looked woeful but not sure the system was the problem that night
4-4-2 Does Work. on 18:50 - Sep 25 with 1339 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

4-4-2 Does Work. on 18:47 - Sep 25 by daveB

We did in the second half and looked woeful but not sure the system was the problem that night

Yeah I know mate, there was a touch of sarcasm from me there : )
4-4-2 Does Work. on 18:56 - Sep 25 with 1338 viewsrsonist

Confirmation bias in full effect here.

If we don't play the 4-2-3-1 properly then yes the default 4-4-2 will look better. That's on JFH and the players.

Literally do any of you not watch any other football and see the scores of teams around the globe doing pretty bloody well with their takes on 4-2-3-1?
4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:07 - Sep 25 with 1334 viewsBostonR

4-4-2 Does Work. on 18:56 - Sep 25 by rsonist

Confirmation bias in full effect here.

If we don't play the 4-2-3-1 properly then yes the default 4-4-2 will look better. That's on JFH and the players.

Literally do any of you not watch any other football and see the scores of teams around the globe doing pretty bloody well with their takes on 4-2-3-1?

4-4-2 won the PremierLeague last season.
4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:22 - Sep 25 with 1318 viewsMedwayR

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:07 - Sep 25 by BostonR

Atletico Madrid have won la liga, Copa del rey, Europa league, European super cup & got to 2 champions league finals playing 4-4-2 too.

However both Leicester & Atletico Madrid were/are extremely well drilled in how they play, we're not. Not yet anyway & with so many new players it'll take time. That's the biggest difference rather than formations.

For what it's worth I think we should try 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 with Chery at home and maybe switch it to 4-4-2 with Washington instead of Chery & a more direct style in away games.

Poll: Who’s better?

4-4-2 Does Work. on 20:00 - Sep 25 with 1281 viewsrsonist

4-4-2 Does Work. on 19:07 - Sep 25 by BostonR

You're missing the point... I'm not saying 4-4-2 is old hat and 4-2-3-1 is the cosmopolitan bee's knees. Neither formation is inherently superior to the other. Each will give you an advantage in one area and a disadvantage in another. If we play 4-4-2 well and the other badly then that is all that's happening. The thread is titled "4-4-2 Does Work" - well, 4-2-3-1 Does Work too and very well for very many sides.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2016 20:02]
4-4-2 Does Work. on 20:39 - Sep 25 with 1245 viewsRoller

I think the major factor was that for the first time this season, through Borysiuk, we dominated midfield. That gave us the chance to initially release our wingers to attack and then gave Hasselbaink the confidence to swap to a 4-4-2 ish formation.
4-4-2 Does Work. on 20:52 - Sep 25 with 1233 viewseghamranger

4-4-2 Does Work. on 20:39 - Sep 25 by Roller

I think the major factor was that for the first time this season, through Borysiuk, we dominated midfield. That gave us the chance to initially release our wingers to attack and then gave Hasselbaink the confidence to swap to a 4-4-2 ish formation.

Spot on!

Would have cousins in there to assist also and Massimo on the bench.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024