Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wszolek pronunciation 19:06 - Sep 25 with 4307 viewsGloryHunter

Much easier than it looks. My two Polish house mates agree that it is: Show-ek.

(The middle l is not really an l - it's one of those Polish ls with a little cross through it, pronounced like an English w. And the initial W - which would normally be pronounced like an English V - is silent because it's followed by an sz.)

Simples.
Wszolek pronunciation on 19:08 - Sep 25 with 4298 viewsLongsufferingR

Shouldn't that be wszimples?
Wszolek pronunciation on 19:25 - Sep 25 with 4252 viewsGloryHunter

Yeah, I did thank them, and they said, You're velcome.
Wszolek pronunciation on 19:45 - Sep 25 with 4170 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You haven't got a Congolese housemate as well have you?
Wszolek pronunciation on 19:51 - Sep 25 with 4148 viewsrsonist

"And the initial W - which would normally be pronounced like an English V - is silent because it's followed by an sz."

Nitpicking here but I'm born Polish (raised British) and to me this is a bit iffy. You could say it's effectively silent for practical conversational purposes because it's very soft - vshow all in one quick go - rather than a laboured separate syllable, but as far as I've ever known there is no construction where it fully disappears as such. Maybe it's all changed now though, I dunno.

Anyway if you say Show-ek you'll be quite alright. Carry on...
Wszolek pronunciation on 20:17 - Sep 25 with 4066 viewsBoston

Wszolek pronunciation on 19:51 - Sep 25 by rsonist

"And the initial W - which would normally be pronounced like an English V - is silent because it's followed by an sz."

Nitpicking here but I'm born Polish (raised British) and to me this is a bit iffy. You could say it's effectively silent for practical conversational purposes because it's very soft - vshow all in one quick go - rather than a laboured separate syllable, but as far as I've ever known there is no construction where it fully disappears as such. Maybe it's all changed now though, I dunno.

Did the Germans start this problem?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Wszolek pronunciation on 20:53 - Sep 25 with 3991 viewssmegma

I'll stick to calling him Pawel. Or Paul.
Wszolek pronunciation on 21:17 - Sep 25 with 3949 viewsBoston

Wszolek pronunciation on 20:53 - Sep 25 by smegma

I'll stick to calling him Pawel. Or Paul.

I was happy with 'the Polish bloke'.

Wszolek pronunciation on 21:23 - Sep 25 with 3926 viewssmegma

Wszolek pronunciation on 21:17 - Sep 25 by Boston

I was happy with 'the Polish bloke'.

But there's two. And anyway, Ariel had that name first.
Login to get fewer ads

Wszolek pronunciation on 22:04 - Sep 25 with 3863 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Is that with a harsh O, or soft O?
Wszolek pronunciation on 22:10 - Sep 25 with 3847 viewslondonscottish

This is what my Polish mate told me today.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Wszolek pronunciation on 22:16 - Sep 25 with 3832 viewsGloryHunter

Wszolek pronunciation on 19:45 - Sep 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

You haven't got a Congolese housemate as well have you?

Sadly no. But if we sign a Vietnamese player, then try me.
Wszolek pronunciation on 03:10 - Sep 26 with 3712 viewsNortholt_Rs

Mrs Northolt_R is a Polka and she tells me it does indeed include a softly pronounced v at the front. So vShowek....just in case anybody is remotely interested. The 'show' bit is pronounced the way we'd say it. Pavel is easier though. Easier than her brother's name anyway which is Kryzysiek...Christ it's like a totally different language to ours!!! Oh btw his name is pronounced 'sheeshick' which sounds a bit like a pisshead saying seasick.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Wszolek pronunciation on 09:53 - Sep 26 with 3545 viewsDorse

Wszolek pronunciation on 22:16 - Sep 25 by GloryHunter

Sadly no. But if we sign a Vietnamese player, then try me.

I think you're mistaken. Try-Me played for South Korea.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Wszolek pronunciation on 09:57 - Sep 26 with 3540 viewsTW_R

Wszolek pronunciation on 03:10 - Sep 26 by Northolt_Rs

Mrs Northolt_R is a Polka and she tells me it does indeed include a softly pronounced v at the front. So vShowek....just in case anybody is remotely interested. The 'show' bit is pronounced the way we'd say it. Pavel is easier though. Easier than her brother's name anyway which is Kryzysiek...Christ it's like a totally different language to ours!!! Oh btw his name is pronounced 'sheeshick' which sounds a bit like a pisshead saying seasick.

Yeah - I'm going with Pav.
Wszolek pronunciation on 10:58 - Sep 26 with 3483 viewsGloryHunter

Wszolek pronunciation on 03:10 - Sep 26 by Northolt_Rs

That "soft V" is never going to work in a chant though, is it? Whereas Show-ek, Show-ek, Show-ek, Show-ek works well in a number of favourites, not least the Amazing Grace tune - or is that reserved for Chery?
Wszolek pronunciation on 16:36 - Sep 26 with 3317 viewsrsonist

Not surprising he left it at Chesney...
Wszolek pronunciation on 17:08 - Sep 26 with 3279 viewsDannyPaddox

Wszolek pronunciation on 18:06 - Sep 26 with 3218 viewsBoston

Wszolek pronunciation on 09:57 - Sep 26 by TW_R

Yeah - I'm going with Pav.

Pav...pronounced with an r ....Parv the Slav.

Wszolek pronunciation on 19:09 - Sep 26 with 3169 viewskensalriser

If only he could play badly for a couple of games, then we could revert to the much simpler Useless Cnt.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Wszolek pronunciation on 19:10 - Sep 26 with 3166 viewsFredManRave

Wszolek pronunciation on 19:09 - Sep 26 by kensalriser

If only he could play badly for a couple of games, then we could revert to the much simpler Useless Cnt.

Why should he get longer than everybody else?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024