Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's more entertaining at this level.. 10:07 - Sep 28 with 1058 viewsstevec

1 up or 2 up?

Forget your Barcelona's and Arsenals. I am talking about the average football team.

This season - Polter or Sylla or Washington on their own - boring
Last promotion - Austin on his own - boring.
The only positive I can recall was Helguson, though that was almost exclusively down to Taraabt that season. When he didn't play we looked fairly ordinary.

Les Allen and Marsh / Bowles and Givens / Goddard and Allen / Bannister and Byrne / Ferdinand and Gallen / Furlong and Gallen - these people must have lit up this team for the best part of a third of my watching.

What 1 up QPR side has given us that kind of entertainment?
What's more entertaining at this level.. on 10:25 - Sep 28 with 1030 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I like 1 up front if - big IF - the No.10 is close by.

Most teams I've enjoyed watching over the last twenty or thirty years - Barca, Arsenal, Ajax - have played one up and one off. Even Helgie and Adel at our level. Our problem at the moment is that we play one-up and the rest a mile off.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What's more entertaining at this level.. on 10:32 - Sep 28 with 1012 viewsdaveB

doesn't really matter how many up front it only gets entertaining if the midfield pushes up and wide players are heavily involved. You can play 2 up front but if the midfield sit deep it's just as dull
What's more entertaining at this level.. on 10:41 - Sep 28 with 997 viewsPunteR

What's more entertaining at this level.. on 10:25 - Sep 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I like 1 up front if - big IF - the No.10 is close by.

Most teams I've enjoyed watching over the last twenty or thirty years - Barca, Arsenal, Ajax - have played one up and one off. Even Helgie and Adel at our level. Our problem at the moment is that we play one-up and the rest a mile off.

Taraabt was never even allowed to drop back past the halfway line.
I guess its a bit too gung ho for Jimmy.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What's more entertaining at this level.. on 12:13 - Sep 28 with 936 viewsJuzzie

I'm a traditionalist I guess and like 442. First started going to QPR in the early 80's when we had the likes of Ian Stewart and Wayne Fereday on the wings pinging in crosses for our two strikes to bury.

Teams seem to be set up more not to lose these days rather than win. Money has turned football into a 'results business' and it's no longer a sport or entertainment so any cavalier attitude has gone from the game IMO.

[Post edited 28 Sep 2016 12:14]
What's more entertaining at this level.. on 12:45 - Sep 28 with 887 viewsR_from_afar

It doesn't bother me if we don't play 4-4-2. After all, look what Warnock achieved with 4-2-3-1.

In fact, that is always my preferred formation. Two holding midfielders so the full backs have the chance to push up, one up top to hold the ball up, with the three able to switch positions and move about freely, making them hard to mark.

In my view, though, success is not down to any particular formation. It's about everyone sticking to the plan, concentrating throughout the game and giving maximum effort. Oh, and playing with pride...

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What's more entertaining at this level.. on 12:52 - Sep 28 with 876 viewsElHoop

I don't care that much as long as it works and we get the ball up the park and create chances in the box. In terms of 'supply and demand' there's more demand for 1's than 2's these days so you might get a better two than you'd get a one at our level.
What's more entertaining at this level.. on 13:37 - Sep 28 with 818 viewsthemodfather

having 11 players on the pitch who CARE, battle it out, show heart,passion and commitment for 90+ mins...that will be entertaining, warnock did it.
What's more entertaining at this level.. on 14:09 - Sep 28 with 792 viewsNov77

In the 66 wc final, Germany played 4-2-4 and England had four forwards on the field (if you include charlton)
Result?, there was none of this chuckle brothers football passing between the midfield, the defence and the goalkeeper (to me, to you).
All of the action took place at the ends where they plant those wooden things with nets hanging off them.
There wasn't ten players in the midfield getting in each other's way, and you didn't have one forward up against three centre halves (like Washington last night)

Modern football is shite in comparison, it'd rather watch a puddle evaporate than watch most games now.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Login to get fewer ads

What's more entertaining at this level.. on 14:55 - Sep 28 with 738 viewstraininvain

Not sure if anyone saw Klopp on MNF but he was quite dismissive when asked about different formations.

Ultimately a 451 can be more attacking than a 442 if the manager tells the midfielders, full backs etc to get forward and support the attackers.

It's too simplistic to say that 442 will make a team more attacking.
What's more entertaining at this level.. on 16:37 - Sep 28 with 671 viewsJuzzie

What's more entertaining at this level.. on 14:09 - Sep 28 by Nov77

In the 66 wc final, Germany played 4-2-4 and England had four forwards on the field (if you include charlton)
Result?, there was none of this chuckle brothers football passing between the midfield, the defence and the goalkeeper (to me, to you).
All of the action took place at the ends where they plant those wooden things with nets hanging off them.
There wasn't ten players in the midfield getting in each other's way, and you didn't have one forward up against three centre halves (like Washington last night)

Modern football is shite in comparison, it'd rather watch a puddle evaporate than watch most games now.

"Result?, there was none of this chuckle brothers football passing between the midfield, the defence and the goalkeeper (to me, to you). "

The Swanseola style of football (which bored me to tears each time I saw them play) the media w@nked themselves silly over for a year or two recently.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024