Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph 21:32 - Sep 28 with 98700 viewsgobbles

The Telegraph ‏@Telegraph 1m1 minute ago
Latest #football4sale allegations concern Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink at QPR, Tommy Wright of Barnsley and Leeds' Massimo Cellino
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 14:49 - Sep 29 with 3498 viewseastside_r

Not sure if this has been posted already, but why did the Telegraph go after JFH, who most would concede is not an obvious candidate?

A) Did they just go after a load of managers on a fishing exercise and see which of them ‘bit’.

B) Or did they suspect he was ‘dodgy’ but did not have any evidence that they could publish and so went about setting this trap.

I think either are possibilities.

However I suspect that in the next few days both parties will ‘mutually agree’ to part ‘in the best interests of the football club’.

Especially if we get gubbed at Fulham (again!)
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 14:53 - Sep 29 with 3461 viewsHunterhoop

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 14:38 - Sep 29 by Antti_Heinola

Well, we'll see. The Telegraph could argue the whole thing was hypothetical and he showed he was potentially open to a conflict of interests. That he then later backed out wouldn't necessarily need to be part of their story, because they haven't said he's taken a bung or that he's bent, just that if he followed through on this then there would be a conflict of interests. We already know he didn't follow through with it, the Telegraph would simply argue he entertained it, which he did.
As I said, would like to see the whole chat.

nah, mate. Read the headline again:

"QPR manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink asked for £55k to act for sports company that proposed selling players to his club"

That's defamation of character if that isn't what happened. Either the extended footage makes that claim able to be defended by the Telegraph, or they don't frame the story like that. They either proposed selling players to his club or they didn't. If, at that point such a proposal was made to sell players to his club, he refuses to work for the sports company (even having discussed the £55k before hand for public speaking), then he'll win a defamation of character lawsuit. If he didn't refuse to work for them at that point, he won't....and then it's clearly a conflict of interests, etc, etc.

I think naively and stupidly, he's let the latter happen, from what I've seen and read.

However, if he did walk out at that point such a proposal was made, and a Telegraph lawyer let them run with that headline, then a Telegraph lawyer will be getting fired and the Telegraph coffers will be taking a hit quite soon.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 14:56 - Sep 29 with 3434 viewsHunterhoop

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 14:49 - Sep 29 by eastside_r

Not sure if this has been posted already, but why did the Telegraph go after JFH, who most would concede is not an obvious candidate?

A) Did they just go after a load of managers on a fishing exercise and see which of them ‘bit’.

B) Or did they suspect he was ‘dodgy’ but did not have any evidence that they could publish and so went about setting this trap.

However I suspect that in the next few days both parties will ‘mutually agree’ to part ‘in the best interests of the football club’.

Could be 'A)' but that approach is
1) timely
2) does not guarantee any financial return (from selling more papers after a successful sting)
3) could waste resource for months on end

As a result, struggle to see a completely arbitrary fishing exercise being signed off by the powers that be at the Telegraph. They've been through some heavy job cuts in recent years so not flush with resource.

'B)', in my opinion, is much much more likely. I'd be astounded if they weren't tipped off on who to target. The success rate is too high otherwise.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:05 - Sep 29 with 3362 viewsaston_hoop

New statement:

CLUB STATEMENT — INVESTIGATION ONGOING

THE club can confirm that an internal investigation is ongoing following allegations made against QPR manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in a national newspaper on Wednesday 28th September.

First and foremost, the club reiterates that we take these allegations very seriously.

As part of the investigation, CEO Lee Hoos and Director of Football Les Ferdinand both met with Hasselbaink this morning to interview him regarding his version of events.

Thereafter, a meeting took place at our Harlington training ground, whereby all players and staff were addressed by Hoos to explain the club's stance.

As part of the ongoing investigation, the club will need to view an unedited version of the video footage and full transcript of the discussions that took place.

We appreciate the QPR fans want this issue dealt with as quickly as possible, and that is the club’s intention.

In the meantime, Hasselbaink and his staff are continuing to prepare the team for our Championship fixture against Fulham this weekend.

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/qpr-jimmy-floyd-hasselbaink-the-telegr

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:10 - Sep 29 with 3319 viewsAntti_Heinola

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 14:53 - Sep 29 by Hunterhoop

nah, mate. Read the headline again:

"QPR manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink asked for £55k to act for sports company that proposed selling players to his club"

That's defamation of character if that isn't what happened. Either the extended footage makes that claim able to be defended by the Telegraph, or they don't frame the story like that. They either proposed selling players to his club or they didn't. If, at that point such a proposal was made to sell players to his club, he refuses to work for the sports company (even having discussed the £55k before hand for public speaking), then he'll win a defamation of character lawsuit. If he didn't refuse to work for them at that point, he won't....and then it's clearly a conflict of interests, etc, etc.

I think naively and stupidly, he's let the latter happen, from what I've seen and read.

However, if he did walk out at that point such a proposal was made, and a Telegraph lawyer let them run with that headline, then a Telegraph lawyer will be getting fired and the Telegraph coffers will be taking a hit quite soon.

Technically what the Tgraph says is true, but JFH would probably argue that he went for a chat, the player thing came up, he was being friendly and jokey, he later realised what they were proposing and left. Both could be correct, meaning he couldn't sue, but is guilty of little more than not saying no quickly enough. But who knows, i'm just speculating.
Feel a bit sorry for him to be honest.
He's worked very hard to get to QPR, seems to be a man of integrity, and he's slipped up, naively rather than anything else. His reaction seems to be one of 'no, i would never have agreed to that, we were just chatting... but now i'm fked.'

Bare bones.

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:12 - Sep 29 with 3289 viewsFloridaR

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 14:15 - Sep 29 by Hunterhoop

And if so, then good on him (as I said on page 1). He should then obviously keep his job.

But,

That's not how the Telegraph are portraying it - quite the opposite. If what you've hypothesised happened, not what the Telegraph make out, then this is a serious case of defamation of character. Jimmy will have the right to sue and he'll win. The Telegraph aren't idiots. Their lawyers will have reviewed the evidence, the story, the portrayal, and confirmed what the risk of a defamation lawsuit actually is. If it was big, they wouldn't have framed the story as they have.

So, yeah, what you said is possible. I hope it happened like that (as I said on page 1), but I just doubt it. Chances, based on the above process they'd have gone through is they have more, not less, evidence....

That's why we're doing the right thing investigating properly first and getting access to the full footage.

Great post.
I'm sure telegraph lawyers held back some edited footage just in case claims of wrongdoing or slander were filed against them at a later time.
Its not like they do months of investigative journalism to lose millions of pounds in court .. .right ?

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: Happy I'm the 'chosen one'

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:23 - Sep 29 with 3186 viewsElHoop

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:12 - Sep 29 by FloridaR

Great post.
I'm sure telegraph lawyers held back some edited footage just in case claims of wrongdoing or slander were filed against them at a later time.
Its not like they do months of investigative journalism to lose millions of pounds in court .. .right ?

The updated QPR statement refers to the full transcript and unedited video being viewed before the investigation is complete, but there's no indication as to when or if they will receive these from the Telegraph. It's possible that there's enough there to satisfy the Telegraph that there's enough doubt as to his integrity to enable them to publish, whilst at the same time there's enough doubt about his lack of integrity to prevent QPR from sacking him. It's down to Hoos and Les to decide where the 'crime' fits in terms of seriousness. I'm happy to leave it to them, but it's looking a bit more marginal in terms of him keeping his job.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:26 - Sep 29 with 3143 viewstraininvain

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 14:49 - Sep 29 by eastside_r

Hasselbaink's agent is involved (Dax Price) which seems to be the common denominator.
Login to get fewer ads

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:30 - Sep 29 with 3093 viewsBerkoRanger

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:23 - Sep 29 by ElHoop

The updated QPR statement refers to the full transcript and unedited video being viewed before the investigation is complete, but there's no indication as to when or if they will receive these from the Telegraph. It's possible that there's enough there to satisfy the Telegraph that there's enough doubt as to his integrity to enable them to publish, whilst at the same time there's enough doubt about his lack of integrity to prevent QPR from sacking him. It's down to Hoos and Les to decide where the 'crime' fits in terms of seriousness. I'm happy to leave it to them, but it's looking a bit more marginal in terms of him keeping his job.

And no mention in the second "statement" that the club are fully behind the manager.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:31 - Sep 29 with 3086 viewsElHoop

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:30 - Sep 29 by BerkoRanger

And no mention in the second "statement" that the club are fully behind the manager.

Exactly
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:32 - Sep 29 with 3067 viewsBostonR

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:05 - Sep 29 by aston_hoop

New statement:

CLUB STATEMENT — INVESTIGATION ONGOING

THE club can confirm that an internal investigation is ongoing following allegations made against QPR manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in a national newspaper on Wednesday 28th September.

First and foremost, the club reiterates that we take these allegations very seriously.

As part of the investigation, CEO Lee Hoos and Director of Football Les Ferdinand both met with Hasselbaink this morning to interview him regarding his version of events.

Thereafter, a meeting took place at our Harlington training ground, whereby all players and staff were addressed by Hoos to explain the club's stance.

As part of the ongoing investigation, the club will need to view an unedited version of the video footage and full transcript of the discussions that took place.

We appreciate the QPR fans want this issue dealt with as quickly as possible, and that is the club’s intention.

In the meantime, Hasselbaink and his staff are continuing to prepare the team for our Championship fixture against Fulham this weekend.

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/qpr-jimmy-floyd-hasselbaink-the-telegr

Blimey - sounds like the club are preparing to show him the exit door. I cant see how both parties can continue to trust one another.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:40 - Sep 29 with 2976 viewsconnell10

Club now calling him by just his second name and not jimmy! Sounds funny!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:50 - Sep 29 with 2861 viewsHunterhoop

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:40 - Sep 29 by connell10

Yeah, that whole tone of the new statement seems to be saying "give us some time, we need to do this properly, but that he could well get the sack now."

More formal tone. No "support" offered. Being thorough. Viewing everything, Decision coming. Reads like the next one is an announcement of "terminated with immediate effect".
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:50 - Sep 29 with 2860 viewswhittocksRs

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:40 - Sep 29 by connell10

The initial statement, offering JFH Hasselbaink support, was a big mis-step by the club. If we fire him, he can use that statement to increase the severance fee. Classic QPR mismanagement — compare that statement with Barnsley's, the FA's, etc. Smacks of Fernandes to me.

In terms of the Telegraph sting, there would have been anecdotal evidence given to the journalists, and as the plan was to catch people in the act, the trap was set. He certainly didn't seem like this sort of thing was alien to him. For something as serious as systemic corruption, the means are fully justified.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 16:10 - Sep 29 with 2693 viewsblacky200

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:50 - Sep 29 by whittocksRs

The initial statement, offering JFH Hasselbaink support, was a big mis-step by the club. If we fire him, he can use that statement to increase the severance fee. Classic QPR mismanagement — compare that statement with Barnsley's, the FA's, etc. Smacks of Fernandes to me.

In terms of the Telegraph sting, there would have been anecdotal evidence given to the journalists, and as the plan was to catch people in the act, the trap was set. He certainly didn't seem like this sort of thing was alien to him. For something as serious as systemic corruption, the means are fully justified.

If the club find sufficient evidence to sack him then regardless of the initial statement they wouldn't have to pay him a penny.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 16:26 - Sep 29 with 2576 viewsCFW

The whole thing is a complete mess - bit like when the politicians were caught with there hands in the till. No comfort to JFH or QPR but there will be others that will come out of the woodwork.

Personally I feel very uncomfortable with the whole thing and just shows how the influx of big money has changed the game we all love. Without the fans paying to watch their team play every week (along with Sky TV) these greedy, corrupt people would not have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of!!!

Why is it always us though? Not far off giving up - am I alone?
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 16:29 - Sep 29 with 2553 viewsdaveB

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 15:50 - Sep 29 by whittocksRs

He's on a rolling contract so his pay off will reflect that and won't be much
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 16:50 - Sep 29 with 2410 viewsCFW

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 16:29 - Sep 29 by daveB

He's on a rolling contract so his pay off will reflect that and won't be much

Big Sam got a million from the FA apparently - absolute joke.

Appreciate this is not the same for JFH but what other industry (apart from Banks of course and the government) puts up with this crap.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:01 - Sep 29 with 2340 viewsBklynRanger

So Tony had a moment of lucidity in the moments between last night's Tanqueray and meth binge and tonight's Boddingtons and mescaline extravaganza. Seems like the right approach. Jimmy has obviously dropped himself into a big pile of shit but there's no reason to wholly believe what the Telegraph are saying either. As a newspaper in this day and age they may have decided that the bumper publicity from this series of stings is worth the risk of some legal backlash. I've got the pitchfork and the lighter sitting on the sideboard but it seems too early to go full SImpsons witch hunt giff just yet.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:04 - Sep 29 with 2302 viewsNorthernr

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:01 - Sep 29 by BklynRanger

So Tony had a moment of lucidity in the moments between last night's Tanqueray and meth binge and tonight's Boddingtons and mescaline extravaganza. Seems like the right approach. Jimmy has obviously dropped himself into a big pile of shit but there's no reason to wholly believe what the Telegraph are saying either. As a newspaper in this day and age they may have decided that the bumper publicity from this series of stings is worth the risk of some legal backlash. I've got the pitchfork and the lighter sitting on the sideboard but it seems too early to go full SImpsons witch hunt giff just yet.

Don't think I haven't noticed the correlation between this season going to sht just as you arrive at HQ.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:09 - Sep 29 with 2255 viewsBklynRanger

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:04 - Sep 29 by Northernr

Don't think I haven't noticed the correlation between this season going to sht just as you arrive at HQ.

They should give me the job. 3 matches, 2 bungs, 0 points. I could retire on that.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:14 - Sep 29 with 2200 viewsNorthernr

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:09 - Sep 29 by BklynRanger

They should give me the job. 3 matches, 2 bungs, 0 points. I could retire on that.

One of the games was 6-0 as well! We were fifth before you turned up
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:23 - Sep 29 with 2127 viewsHayesender

I've watched and read it all about three or four times now, and I still fail to see what he's done wrong.

The man's tactics almost send me to sleep, and he is skating on thin ice results wise, but it would be sending out the wrong message if he loses his job over this imo.

I hope he and the club take the Telegraph to the f###ing cleaners over this entrapment!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:26 - Sep 29 with 2105 viewsBklynRanger

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:14 - Sep 29 by Northernr

One of the games was 6-0 as well! We were fifth before you turned up

It's a process mate, a project! I'm still bedding in a few concepts, ideas, pattern of play, that sort of thing.
Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:34 - Sep 29 with 2057 viewsNorthernr

Hasselbaink in the Telegraph on 17:26 - Sep 29 by BklynRanger

It's a process mate, a project! I'm still bedding in a few concepts, ideas, pattern of play, that sort of thing.

I'm going to start wearing a crucifix, ward you off if I bump into you again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024