Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agents 09:41 - Sep 29 with 1659 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Do we actually need these arseholes?

They don't offer anything that a national register of clubs and players couldn't do.
Agents on 10:02 - Sep 29 with 1637 viewsClive_Anderson

Bunch of parasites.

Would be great to be a club that refuses to deal with them.
Agents on 10:08 - Sep 29 with 1624 viewsCamberleyR

They're another by-product of the Sky age unfortunately and big money coming into the game. Prior to this in the 80s and beyond they hardly existed bar probably with commercially savvy players like Kevin Keegan (Brut commercials etc).

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Agents on 10:24 - Sep 29 with 1599 viewsAntti_Heinola

They're essential, unfortunately.

An easy target for clubs and fans when things go wrong, but players should have someone negotiating for them - the club will have proper legal experts, so why not players? And if a player is treated badly by a club, he should have someone in his corner.

The Secret Footballer is really good on agents - worth reading. Of course there are hugely corrupt ones, but there are good ones too. Clearly this McGarvey is not one of the good ones.

Bare bones.

Agents on 10:28 - Sep 29 with 1588 viewsCamberleyR

Agents on 10:24 - Sep 29 by Antti_Heinola

An easy target for clubs and fans when things go wrong, but players should have someone negotiating for them - the club will have proper legal experts, so why not players? And if a player is treated badly by a club, he should have someone in his corner.

The Secret Footballer is really good on agents - worth reading. Of course there are hugely corrupt ones, but there are good ones too. Clearly this McGarvey is not one of the good ones.

"players should have someone negotiating for them - the club will have proper legal experts, so why not players? And if a player is treated badly by a club, he should have someone in his corner"

Why are they essential? Surely the PFA can (and do) provide this service.

Agents on 10:29 - Sep 29 with 1581 viewsDejR_vu

This 100%.

The average footballer would be taken to the cleaners by the clubs if they didn't have someone on their side.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Agents on 10:40 - Sep 29 with 1558 viewspaulparker

Unfortunately the horse has bolted and we are stuck with these fcukers taking millions from the game, our game is now a billion pound industry everyone has there fingers in the pie looking for a slice (look at pogbas agent ) , the mugs are us who go every week or use subscriptions to fund this bollox hoping that the game we grew up with will come back , well it wont the game here wont go bust or disintegrate anytime soon, infact as each season passes its gets more detached for the normal fan than ever
for only way for us the supporters to take our game back is to do a Wimbledon and go AFC
I can see a lot of clubs doing this overtime(especially west ham ) as fans are sick of overpaid t0ssers and shifty owners ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Agents on 10:52 - Sep 29 with 1533 viewsblacky200

My problem with agents is they take from both sides. A player pays the agent to get him the best possible deal. I don't have a problem with this.

But the agent also takes a fee from the club. So is the agent trying to get the best deal for the player or the club? This is where it is wrong. Why should the club have to pay the agent if it is the player who employed the agent? Either the player wants to come to the club for the money negotiated or they don't. The agent is essentially getting paid twice to do the same job and there is an obvious conflict of interest (who is getting the best deal the player or the club?).
Agents on 11:07 - Sep 29 with 1504 viewsrobith

NFL style draft please
Login to get fewer ads

Agents on 11:10 - Sep 29 with 1497 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agents on 10:28 - Sep 29 by CamberleyR

"players should have someone negotiating for them - the club will have proper legal experts, so why not players? And if a player is treated badly by a club, he should have someone in his corner"

So the club can pick whoever they want to drive a bargain etc, but all the player has is essentially a union usually run by an ex-player? Doesn't seem like a level playing field to me.

Bare bones.

Agents on 11:17 - Sep 29 with 1482 viewsCamberleyR

Agents on 11:10 - Sep 29 by Antti_Heinola

So the club can pick whoever they want to drive a bargain etc, but all the player has is essentially a union usually run by an ex-player? Doesn't seem like a level playing field to me.

You don't honestly think that the PFA just employs ex-players do you?

Agents on 11:21 - Sep 29 with 1471 viewshopphoops

Agents on 10:52 - Sep 29 by blacky200

My problem with agents is they take from both sides. A player pays the agent to get him the best possible deal. I don't have a problem with this.

But the agent also takes a fee from the club. So is the agent trying to get the best deal for the player or the club? This is where it is wrong. Why should the club have to pay the agent if it is the player who employed the agent? Either the player wants to come to the club for the money negotiated or they don't. The agent is essentially getting paid twice to do the same job and there is an obvious conflict of interest (who is getting the best deal the player or the club?).

Exactly.

But btw how do player-managers agree their contract?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Agents on 12:00 - Sep 29 with 1409 viewsClive_Anderson

Most people manage to get through their working lives without an agent negotiating for them, I'm sure players could manage as well.
Agents on 12:35 - Sep 29 with 1359 viewsblacky200

Agents on 12:00 - Sep 29 by Clive_Anderson

Most people manage to get through their working lives without an agent negotiating for them, I'm sure players could manage as well.

For most of us it is not needed to have an agent but when you are getting into these kinds of deals that include not only a wage but various bonuses and appearance fees, commercial rights, transfer and signing on fees I think it would be beyond most of us to negotiate these types of deals. But I think it is the players responsibility to pay the person negotiating for them. The club should not pay the agent.
Agents on 13:18 - Sep 29 with 1304 viewsTGRRRSSS

The agent isn't a legal man really, simply a salesman.

They should make agents illegal or change it so they are paid by the player alone. Or employ a solicitor (I am sure they'd soon open this up in commercial) to negotiate.

The real issue isn't agents per say it's how they are paid and what they do to get their won way.

Wonder for example how well Giggs agent did out of him. Not as well as he might've I imagine.
Agents on 13:23 - Sep 29 with 1293 viewstraininvain

Agents on 13:18 - Sep 29 by TGRRRSSS

The agent isn't a legal man really, simply a salesman.

They should make agents illegal or change it so they are paid by the player alone. Or employ a solicitor (I am sure they'd soon open this up in commercial) to negotiate.

The real issue isn't agents per say it's how they are paid and what they do to get their won way.

Wonder for example how well Giggs agent did out of him. Not as well as he might've I imagine.

A lot of lawyers act as agents these days so yes some of them are legal men.

Interesting that Gary Neville acted for a lot of the younger players when they negotiated contracts at Manchester United. Ferguson says he was a nightmare to negotiate with on a deal.
Agents on 13:25 - Sep 29 with 1284 viewsTGRRRSSS

He wasn't Red Nev for nowt, though given his business interests these days poacher turned game keeper comes to mind.
Agents on 14:09 - Sep 29 with 1237 viewsMatch82

Agents on 11:07 - Sep 29 by robith

NFL style draft please

Wouldn't work. Only works in NFL because a) no relegation and promotion and b) players cant go to another league. Here, if you were picked by a team you didn't like you can just go to Spain Italy etc

Doesn't actually solve the agent problem either
Agents on 14:30 - Sep 29 with 1220 viewsswitchingcode

Agents on 10:28 - Sep 29 by CamberleyR

I agree with you and there a still players around who use PFA to represent them.When I see the likes of Barry Silkman on TV in a smart whistle with his nose firmly in the trough I my mind goes back to the bloke I used to see at White city dog track running up and down the concourse with wads of cash lumping on with the bookmakers and then became a dog trainer and had his licence taken away.How times have changed
Agents on 14:44 - Sep 29 with 1195 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agents on 11:17 - Sep 29 by CamberleyR

You don't honestly think that the PFA just employs ex-players do you?

of course not.
You don't honestly believe players should be forced to have representatives taken from a single organisation do you?
As for the comment elsewhere about comparing it to the rest of us, sorry, that's just naive. Should Morgan Freeman not have an agent because I don't? That's a nonsense. Being a pro-footballer, even at Champ level, has all kinds of things involved, not just contracts at clubs. Sponsorship deals, investments, outside business interests, life after football etc etc.
To be clear, many agents are complete knuts. Many are hard working and fair, too. Some are bent. Some aren't. Some are out for themselves, some want what's best for their client. To say otherwise is just really simplistic. And how on earth you could ban agents even if someone wanted to is beyond me.

Bare bones.

Agents on 15:33 - Sep 29 with 1134 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Agents on 14:44 - Sep 29 by Antti_Heinola

of course not.
You don't honestly believe players should be forced to have representatives taken from a single organisation do you?
As for the comment elsewhere about comparing it to the rest of us, sorry, that's just naive. Should Morgan Freeman not have an agent because I don't? That's a nonsense. Being a pro-footballer, even at Champ level, has all kinds of things involved, not just contracts at clubs. Sponsorship deals, investments, outside business interests, life after football etc etc.
To be clear, many agents are complete knuts. Many are hard working and fair, too. Some are bent. Some aren't. Some are out for themselves, some want what's best for their client. To say otherwise is just really simplistic. And how on earth you could ban agents even if someone wanted to is beyond me.

My original post was obviously flippant, but in all seriousness we need some serious regulation.
Agents on 16:09 - Sep 29 with 1099 viewsAntti_Heinola

Agents on 15:33 - Sep 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

My original post was obviously flippant, but in all seriousness we need some serious regulation.

totally agree mate!
extremely hard to do though

Bare bones.

Agents on 19:13 - Sep 29 with 1025 viewsFirehoop

The PFA could easily employ lawyers or people to represent players interest, this argument has come up before. Agents unfortunately are another thing that is wrong in our game !
Agents on 21:34 - Sep 29 with 959 viewsCamberleyR

Agents on 19:13 - Sep 29 by Firehoop

The PFA could easily employ lawyers or people to represent players interest, this argument has come up before. Agents unfortunately are another thing that is wrong in our game !

They already do. They employ people who are licensed agents it's just that very few players (probably certainly in the top two divisions) utilise their services.

Agents on 00:12 - Sep 30 with 928 viewsPunteR

Agents on 10:29 - Sep 29 by DejR_vu

This 100%.

The average footballer would be taken to the cleaners by the clubs if they didn't have someone on their side.

What..do you mean clubs will stop paying stupid money to players ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Agents on 13:24 - Sep 30 with 853 viewsthemodfather

ban agents...all deals go thru PFA.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024