Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US Elections 2016 10:34 - Oct 5 with 62998 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great site here for tracking projections and polling for the Presidential, House and Senate elections over the next month. A wealth of info on each state in each race.

http://www.electionprojection.com/latest-polls/house-polls.php

Hopefully the warmongering Clinton wins it over the dangerously doolally Trump, and hopefully the Democrats can get the Senate back.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

US Elections 2016 on 11:04 - Oct 5 with 16620 viewsstevec

Interesting that vast swathes of the US shows solid and strong hold for the Republicans whilst the only solid and strong for the Democrats is in areas you might term ''The Metropolitan elite'.

Would like to see Trump do it, for no other reason than it feels good to see the status quo getting a kicking. The times they are a changin.
US Elections 2016 on 11:09 - Oct 5 with 16608 viewsAntti_Heinola

US Elections 2016 on 11:04 - Oct 5 by stevec

Interesting that vast swathes of the US shows solid and strong hold for the Republicans whilst the only solid and strong for the Democrats is in areas you might term ''The Metropolitan elite'.

Would like to see Trump do it, for no other reason than it feels good to see the status quo getting a kicking. The times they are a changin.

yeah, man of the people trump will properly stick it to the man and the establishment. Ledge. Doing it for the working man. Not the working woman, maybe. And probably just the white man. The rich white man. But still. Rock the status quo, yo!

Bare bones.

US Elections 2016 on 11:25 - Oct 5 with 16577 viewskensalriser

In what way is the (supposedly) billionaire New Yorker Trump not part of a metropolitan elite? Bernie Sanders would give the status quo a kicking, Trump not so much.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

US Elections 2016 (n/t) on 11:29 - Oct 5 with 16560 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 11:29]
US Elections 2016 on 11:33 - Oct 5 with 16546 viewsJuzzie

We currently have Status Quo on the turntable at work.

"In The Army Now" LP I think. Pre-manufacturing test pressings, only 7 more LP's to go....
US Elections 2016 on 11:35 - Oct 5 with 16536 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Here we go, Brexit all over again...

Knuckle dragging neanderthals vs the enlightened liberal elite. Well, we all know how that went over here, the times they are a changing indeed. Yo...
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:40 - Oct 5 with 16525 viewsHunterhoop

US Elections 2016 on 11:51 - Oct 5 with 16497 viewsrobith

Can't wait for Trump to win and we can all finally have our miserable existence on this planet extinguished.

Don't want to have to be 80 years old sat around a campfire telling the young uns where it all went wrong. "Well we saw off fascism and communism but then decided we didn't like Polish brickies so we burnt it all to the ground"
Login to get fewer ads

US Elections 2016 on 12:01 - Oct 5 with 16471 viewsstevec

US Elections 2016 on 11:51 - Oct 5 by robith

Can't wait for Trump to win and we can all finally have our miserable existence on this planet extinguished.

Don't want to have to be 80 years old sat around a campfire telling the young uns where it all went wrong. "Well we saw off fascism and communism but then decided we didn't like Polish brickies so we burnt it all to the ground"

Loving the hysteria on here, it's like Brexit revisited.
Trump and Putin cutting a swathe through the Middle East, can't wait meself.

FTSE 100, FTSE 250, pensions, investments, all going through the roof, record highs. Got that fckin wrong too then eh?

Oh yeah, the pound has dropped of course. Probably add about 10 quid to a long weekend in Europe. What a Bummer.
US Elections 2016 on 12:09 - Oct 5 with 16440 viewsBrianMcCarthy

There does seem to be similarities between the US Presidential election and Brexit in that you get the feeling that for some reason a large swathe of people are lying to the pollsters.

I think Trump might have more support than the polls say.

US Elections 2016 on 12:26 - Oct 5 with 16396 viewsrobith

US Elections 2016 on 12:01 - Oct 5 by stevec

FTSE 100, FTSE 250, pensions, investments, all going through the roof, record highs. Got that fckin wrong too then eh?

Oh yeah, the pound has dropped of course. Probably add about 10 quid to a long weekend in Europe. What a Bummer.

A pretty serious response to an ostentatiously flippant post.

It's pretty different to Brexit. People voted to leave the EU for a myriad of different reasons. Trump is an actual fascist. A balls to the walls fascist. I supremely disliked Reegan for his economic and social policies, but he coined the phrase "the city on the hill" - which is a 50/50 shot away from a man who is actively advocating war crimes, whose very presence is undoing 40 years of global nuclear decline and has South Korea and Japan now asking why they can't have nukes too. Putin too is a demagogue who has abolished democracy and spends his days authorising air strikes on hospitals in Alleppo. Interesting choices of heroes you have chosen.

I've chosen to disengage from politics on here as since the Brexit vote both me, my wife and my mum have been subject to threats and abuse so I don't feel massively safe since then discussing my thoughts on politics in public places.

But since you mentioned them - the FTSEs are the valuations of private companies - they aren't particularly relevant to the overall state of the UK economy. The FTSE is being inflated by so many of those companies having huge income in dollars so their value is being artificially inflated, the latter profiting from better exporting rates. However point of information- the FTSE is still 40 points below it's previous high of April last year so that's not accurate.

It's interesting though that you fob off the pound vs the dollar so easily. That is the single biggest issue for two reasons. First of all, 25% of all our debt is borrowed from foreign currency, so it is pretty serious and our debt just increased rather significantly compounding our current account deficit.

Secondly the price of importing has remained increased. The high street just about held off price increases after the vote as the summer recess meant it wasn't talked about and the price stabilised. But they're going to come now, and as consumer spending (which took 3 months after the collapse of Lehman to drop) is one of the few things (along with a property market which has ground to a standstill) propping an economy overly dependent on services and finance up. So it's a bit more than your holiday being more expensive.

But as long as you're having a laugh eh! All good banter!
US Elections 2016 on 12:32 - Oct 5 with 16376 viewsisawqpratwcity

US Elections 2016 on 11:25 - Oct 5 by kensalriser

In what way is the (supposedly) billionaire New Yorker Trump not part of a metropolitan elite? Bernie Sanders would give the status quo a kicking, Trump not so much.

Saw Kinky Friedman (of Texas Jewboys fame) on tv today, saying it's a shame Bernie Sanders can't win the presidency as it would have been the first occurrence of a jewish family moving into a house just vacated by a black family.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

US Elections 2016 on 12:42 - Oct 5 with 16338 viewsFredManRave

US Elections 2016 on 11:51 - Oct 5 by robith

The good news is that having finally beaten Forest away just 3 days earlier we'll still all be too euphoric/hung over/still drunk to worry about it.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

US Elections 2016 on 12:52 - Oct 5 with 16310 viewsadhoc_qpr

Two terrible candidates and terrible human beings!

If Trump wins surely the other party will just be completely obstructive for 4 years and stop him enacting any of his policies just like the republican's did to Obama?

Didn't they go so far as to shut down the Government for a month just to jam up Obama?
US Elections 2016 on 13:13 - Oct 5 with 16263 viewsBrianMcCarthy

US Elections 2016 on 12:52 - Oct 5 by adhoc_qpr

Two terrible candidates and terrible human beings!

If Trump wins surely the other party will just be completely obstructive for 4 years and stop him enacting any of his policies just like the republican's did to Obama?

Didn't they go so far as to shut down the Government for a month just to jam up Obama?

The Democrats will have to win back the Sebate first
, adhoc.

US Elections 2016 on 13:14 - Oct 5 with 16263 viewsrunningman75

Trump will win to prove US voters are thicker then UK leave voters.
US Elections 2016 on 13:25 - Oct 5 with 16241 viewsMrSheen

US Elections 2016 on 12:26 - Oct 5 by robith

It's pretty different to Brexit. People voted to leave the EU for a myriad of different reasons. Trump is an actual fascist. A balls to the walls fascist. I supremely disliked Reegan for his economic and social policies, but he coined the phrase "the city on the hill" - which is a 50/50 shot away from a man who is actively advocating war crimes, whose very presence is undoing 40 years of global nuclear decline and has South Korea and Japan now asking why they can't have nukes too. Putin too is a demagogue who has abolished democracy and spends his days authorising air strikes on hospitals in Alleppo. Interesting choices of heroes you have chosen.

I've chosen to disengage from politics on here as since the Brexit vote both me, my wife and my mum have been subject to threats and abuse so I don't feel massively safe since then discussing my thoughts on politics in public places.

But since you mentioned them - the FTSEs are the valuations of private companies - they aren't particularly relevant to the overall state of the UK economy. The FTSE is being inflated by so many of those companies having huge income in dollars so their value is being artificially inflated, the latter profiting from better exporting rates. However point of information- the FTSE is still 40 points below it's previous high of April last year so that's not accurate.

It's interesting though that you fob off the pound vs the dollar so easily. That is the single biggest issue for two reasons. First of all, 25% of all our debt is borrowed from foreign currency, so it is pretty serious and our debt just increased rather significantly compounding our current account deficit.

Secondly the price of importing has remained increased. The high street just about held off price increases after the vote as the summer recess meant it wasn't talked about and the price stabilised. But they're going to come now, and as consumer spending (which took 3 months after the collapse of Lehman to drop) is one of the few things (along with a property market which has ground to a standstill) propping an economy overly dependent on services and finance up. So it's a bit more than your holiday being more expensive.

The UK government's foreign currency debt is minimal*. About 25% of UK government bonds are owned by foreigners, but they will be repaid in Sterling. They might be unhappy to have lost money compared to leaving it in their own currency and not roll it over when it matures, but there isn't much sign of that in the bond markets so far. The private sector (including banks) has huge foreign currency borrowings - the Sterling value of those have soared since Brexit - but the aggregate value of their assets is greater, so their Sterling net assets will have increased since Brexit. It is perfectly possible that some people will have used overseas debt to buy UK assets, like people used to get "cheaper" Swiss Franc mortgages when UK rates were high, and they will be suffering.

Osborne issued a 3bn Renminbi bond in 2014, but he added the proceeds to reserves rather than transferring it back to Sterling to spend at home. Assuming it hasn't been touched, the Sterling value of the bonds and the proceeds would have gone up together.
US Elections 2016 on 13:41 - Oct 5 with 16179 viewsDiscodroids

US Elections 2016 on 13:14 - Oct 5 by runningman75

whenever i see comments like that i just think of the character 'spoilt bastard' in viz dressed in his bunny eared romper suit.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 14:39]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

US Elections 2016 on 14:09 - Oct 5 with 16117 viewsadhoc_qpr

US Elections 2016 on 13:13 - Oct 5 by BrianMcCarthy

The Democrats will have to win back the Sebate first
, adhoc.

Fair enough, although isn't Trump a divisive figure in his own party too?

I have to admit beyond watching the West WIng and John Oliver's show, my knowledge of the ins and outs of US politics is pretty poor!
US Elections 2016 on 14:19 - Oct 5 with 16102 viewsheadhoops

As a 50+ year old a lot of my youth was spent being drip fed the American dream. The mainstream TV and papers were regularly filled with how great the country was and how utterly superior Americans were as a race. Everything in America was bigger, better, brighter and good old Uncle Sam was the coolest dude on the globe.

Then you get older, wiser and more informed. You see more of and met more people from around the world and you realise what an absolute bunch of to$$ers a vast number of Americans are. That in fact goes for a lot of nationalities, however, it really is true for those US citizens who have never been outside of the US, have no passport and make TOWIE blondes look educated. That a country with a population of 300 million people ends up having to choose between these two is frankly laughable. In fact it would be hysterical if it were not for the fact of how much power they will have and the impact that it could have on the rest of the world.

Brian is right its the warmongering Clinton versus the doolally trump.....

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

US Elections 2016 on 14:22 - Oct 5 with 16101 viewsJuzzie

US Elections 2016 on 13:14 - Oct 5 by runningman75

Would that be as thick as the person who created a gov.uk petition the day after the referendum trying to get the first-past-the-post voting system changed, because the vote didn't go the way he wanted to, when there was a referendum in 2011 which resulted in 68% of the voters (19m voted out of a 45m electorate [42% turnout) voting not to change the current voting system?

Bit late really.

Then the tens of thousands of people who signed it and all the shares on Facebook etc must be equally thick too and were effectively trying to vote rig. Robert Mugabe would be proud.

As others said then and still now, there were a multitude of reasons people voted leave, it wasn't just about being rrrrrracist or anti-immigration. Ironically it's a bit thick of people to presume 27m voters were of that ilk.

Oh, and while we are at it, many people voted to remain because they thought they couldn't go on holiday in Europe otherwise. Jesus wept......

[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 14:24]
US Elections 2016 on 15:12 - Oct 5 with 16014 viewsBrianMcCarthy

US Elections 2016 on 14:09 - Oct 5 by adhoc_qpr

Fair enough, although isn't Trump a divisive figure in his own party too?

I have to admit beyond watching the West WIng and John Oliver's show, my knowledge of the ins and outs of US politics is pretty poor!

I'm no expert myself, adhoc!

By my reading around it seems that Democrats and Republicans both vote with the whip most times. Seems also that the Republicans will keep the House and the Senate might just swap to the Demicrats this time. The Demicrats would need one house at least to stymie Trump.

My own view is that Trump is an unknown quantity when it comes to policy and I have no idea what he'd hope to pass. It's a strange system - with obvious pros and cons - in that it can produce a President of one hue but two houses of another meaning, as you rightly say, that progress can be nil over the four years.

I would also fear Clinton's ties to the war machine. However four years of Truml would have me praying for stumped progress rather than unfettered lunacy!

US Elections 2016 on 15:45 - Oct 5 with 15968 viewsQPR_Jim

US Elections 2016 on 14:22 - Oct 5 by Juzzie

Would that be as thick as the person who created a gov.uk petition the day after the referendum trying to get the first-past-the-post voting system changed, because the vote didn't go the way he wanted to, when there was a referendum in 2011 which resulted in 68% of the voters (19m voted out of a 45m electorate [42% turnout) voting not to change the current voting system?

Bit late really.

Then the tens of thousands of people who signed it and all the shares on Facebook etc must be equally thick too and were effectively trying to vote rig. Robert Mugabe would be proud.

As others said then and still now, there were a multitude of reasons people voted leave, it wasn't just about being rrrrrracist or anti-immigration. Ironically it's a bit thick of people to presume 27m voters were of that ilk.

Oh, and while we are at it, many people voted to remain because they thought they couldn't go on holiday in Europe otherwise. Jesus wept......

[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 14:24]

Who said that people voted leave JUST because they were racists or anti immigration? I think you'll find it's only self pitying leave voters who think that, because they like to think they're being picked on. Most remainers just pointed out that using nazi propaganda with immigrants on posters was trying to put fear into people to make them think that was the only issue and for SOME it worked. (Some - not all, just to be clear)

I still find it amusing that these leave voters, who voted leave for a variety of reasons, don't want any say in how we progress from here. Presumably they think the government knows their reason for voting leave already despite it being such varied reasons. Our elected government had no policies for leaving the EU when elected but we're now supposed to proceed under their control however they see fit. That will really show the elite who's boss!

Re-Trump he seems to irresponsible to lead the USA.
US Elections 2016 on 15:47 - Oct 5 with 15963 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

US Elections 2016 on 12:26 - Oct 5 by robith

Sorry to hear about the abuse you and your family have suffered.

Like yourself I try and give the politics a swerve on LFW now, because no one really reads what each other say anyway, it's more about the rant.

I don't know your background or the circumstances around it but it's pretty sickening, and quite frankly an embarrassment for this kind of thing to happen to a well written chap like yourself in a country like the UK.

BREXIT and Trump are both examples of post truth politics, and it seems you have taken the brunt.

Not all Trump voters are racist, but all racists vote Trump. Same goes for Brexit.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 15:50]
US Elections 2016 on 15:59 - Oct 5 with 15944 viewsderbyhoop

US Elections 2016 on 12:01 - Oct 5 by stevec

Bit more than that, Steve. I'm currently in France, living off a pension and our monthly income is downy by €250. And that's only since June. Compared with earlier in the year, it would be considerably more.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024