Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium in Greenford 12:27 - Oct 10 with 12634 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I will try putting the picture up from the North Greenford Residents Association monthly newsletter.

However, a mate has just alerted me to a comment that a proposal to redevelop the Butlers warehouse site on Oldfield Lane just up from Greenford station, includes reference to a '...proposals for a huge football stadium.''

Totally unsuitable site!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Stadium in Greenford on 05:20 - Oct 13 with 1912 viewsdistortR

Stadium in Greenford on 10:24 - Oct 11 by paulparker

Now brace yourself Baz,

I 100% agree with you on this , why cant we knock down the SA and rebuild it into a 3 or 4 tier stand , you could even do the same with the school end , it may mean sharing with Fulham or Brentford for a couple of years but so what if we keep LR
the day we move to the "Air Asia" bowl with hot dogs and popcorn is the day im out

"hot dogs. sausage rolls,
come on Rangers, score a goal!"

Stadium in Greenford on 05:32 - Oct 13 with 1901 viewsparker64

Even Luton have plans for a town centre 17,500 ground (specifically 4 stands, not a bowl). Looks good. Alot of their current side have also come through the youth side.

http://www.2020developments.co.uk/powercourt/index.php
[Post edited 13 Oct 2016 5:36]
Stadium in Greenford on 21:13 - Oct 20 with 1647 viewsGloucs_R

Bristol rovers are building a new 20k stadium too.

Any developments on this evidence?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Stadium in Greenford on 21:57 - Oct 20 with 1577 viewsFredManRave

Stadium in Greenford on 21:13 - Oct 20 by Gloucs_R

Bristol rovers are building a new 20k stadium too.

Any developments on this evidence?

The pitch has been laid. So far so good.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Stadium in Greenford on 23:15 - Oct 20 with 1477 viewsHadders

Stadium in Greenford on 16:14 - Oct 11 by Northernr

The absolute key for the likes of you and me - if this ever happens of course - is the design of the ground. Sadly what the traditional British football supporter wants from his stadium and what he tends to end up with are absolute poles apart because while we're thinking about atmosphere, proximity to the pitch, safe standing, steep sided stands etc the people who design, build, conceive these things are thinking about sight lines, corporate hospitality, conferencing facilities, costs, health and safety etc.

It could be a brilliant thing mate. We could build a properly iconic, totally unique, atmospheric stadium that other fans are jealous of and say "why couldn't/don't we build something like that" in the same way we talk about grounds like Boavista, Sampdoria etc. It would set our club up for life, solve all the problems Loftus Road has etc etc.

What you and I fear is we'll end up with a version of what a dozen other clubs have got, and we'll be left to rattle round in it with 16,000 empty seats and almost complete silence.

Agree with all that. And I would add - we don`t want to have to travel to a soulless part of town. I love how Loftus Road is surrounded by Victorian houses in bustling Shepherd`s Bush. Sorry to people who live in Greenford, I have never been there and I am sure it has its charms (it could be a mixture of Venice, Barcelona and New York for all I know), but I imagine perhaps it lacks a bit of Bush soul. Leaving the scruffy but soulful Bush will be hard enough anyway, as we all have so many memories and associations with the old place. Oak Common could be grim too, though if it is anything like the wonderful Kings Cross development, that`d be fine with me.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 23:25]
Stadium in Greenford on 02:15 - Oct 21 with 1358 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Stadium in Greenford on 15:53 - Oct 10 by Gloucs_R

In comparison to the Bush or old oak. Central line is a ball ache from Paddington

The overground service takes you from Paddington to South Greenford and Greenford in around 15 minutes.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2016 2:16]
Stadium in Greenford on 04:27 - Oct 21 with 1342 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Stadium in Greenford on 23:15 - Oct 20 by Hadders

Agree with all that. And I would add - we don`t want to have to travel to a soulless part of town. I love how Loftus Road is surrounded by Victorian houses in bustling Shepherd`s Bush. Sorry to people who live in Greenford, I have never been there and I am sure it has its charms (it could be a mixture of Venice, Barcelona and New York for all I know), but I imagine perhaps it lacks a bit of Bush soul. Leaving the scruffy but soulful Bush will be hard enough anyway, as we all have so many memories and associations with the old place. Oak Common could be grim too, though if it is anything like the wonderful Kings Cross development, that`d be fine with me.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 23:25]

Like Venice, an ancient, picturesque and considerably less polluted water way cuts through the Greenford and not many people know this, but the area once sought to change its name to Greenford-sur-canal.

I hasten to add, many people are also overlooking the potential of sailing along the Grand Union canal to the Nutella Arena (They've just moved production to the vicinity by the way) and those coming down from Birmingham will probably get to Greenford quicker by this method as well.

Just as Barcelona has Las Rambles, with the world famous La Boqueira food market on it, the model of this thoroughfare came from Spanish exiles during the civil war, who upon their return home, were motivated to recreate the Greenford and Ruislip Road junction with the comparable 'The Stall' on it. Residents and tourists from as far afield as Southall, Hanwell and Northolt regularly come to stock up on their verduras, frutas, hierbas y especias.

Greenford has resisted the urban trend for ever higher buildings. Architects and urban planners from all over the world come to marvel at how sustainable urban development is achieved. Greenford has retained its inherent charm and beauty and is not spoiled by gawdy tower blocks one sees in NYC, Shanghai and a plethora of Asian cities I have resided in. If you want that crap, then you'll undoubtedly want to suck an egg and head to Harrow or worse, Wembley.

Indeed, I am currently in Quito for Habitat III, the UN conference on sustainable urban development. Where outgoing secretary general Ban-Ki Moon no less, delivered a speech at the start of the conference, where he highlighted the need for cities to balance the competing demands we place on our resources into the first third of this century. In his words not mine, he said, 'We need Gleen and ford to clean water...' Clean water being the sixth Sustainable Development Goal for 2030.

You didn't need to have come from the area to know what he was really saying; 'Be more Greenford'.

How a monolith such as a football stadium dropped into the middle of this idyll will affect things, is hard to say. The feeling among the local community I gauge when I go to visit Ma PlanetHonneywood, is that the local community needs are adequately met by North Greenford F.C. and indeed, they are. Other residents have pointed out, that the shower from W12 are a Championship side and that would definitely undermine the status of the area.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Stadium in Greenford on 09:53 - Oct 21 with 1219 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Stadium in Greenford on 15:49 - Oct 12 by PlanetHonneywood

To farkin' right Mel!

No way will the residents stand idly by to see the inherent charm of London's most esoteric village destroyed by footballing yobbos.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the team the locals think might be behind this, are a complete and utter shambles from inner city London who, wait for it, aren't even in the Premiership!!! Apparently, the shower in question, play in something called 'the championship'. Never heard of it myself, sounds more 'chumpionship'!

Has it still got the vinyl studded bar??
Login to get fewer ads

Stadium in Greenford on 13:20 - Oct 21 with 1113 viewsR_from_afar

The first team will play at the new stadium in OOC and the Barcelona styleee B team at our other new ground, in Greenford.

In other news, an Emirates A 380 coming in to land at Gatwick had a near miss with a squadron of Gloucester old spots.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024