Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium in Greenford 12:27 - Oct 10 with 12631 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I will try putting the picture up from the North Greenford Residents Association monthly newsletter.

However, a mate has just alerted me to a comment that a proposal to redevelop the Butlers warehouse site on Oldfield Lane just up from Greenford station, includes reference to a '...proposals for a huge football stadium.''

Totally unsuitable site!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Stadium in Greenford on 15:41 - Oct 11 with 2391 viewspaulparker

Stadium in Greenford on 14:42 - Oct 11 by NW10Hoop

Yes you are right but even in this crowded city Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, Charlton, Crystal Palace, Fulham, AFC Wimbledon and Dulwich Hamlet are all bigger than they were 20 years ago. Many having improved or moved stadiums.

Arsenal pre-Wegner, and pre-Emirates were a big, nationally renowned side. A new brand of football, a sustained period of hitting their targets, and then a new Stadium and you have one of the biggest teams in the world.

Now, I know that are ambitions are nowhere near as lofty. But the medium term aim stated by the club is to be back in the Premier League. Hit that target, and then sustain it - and you'll have a new set of supporters following the club. There is a continuous flow into West London from other parts of England and the World. Many of these people are already savvy enough to hate Chelsea. It's not that hard to see that a QPR playing attractive football in a Stadium that has modern facilities, and has a GENUINELY family friendly section could grow into a 30,000 regulars club

or we could end up like Coventry, Reading, West Ham
you use Arsenal as an example but they are not the Arsenal of old , they sold there soul when they went to the Emirates, its now a corporate machine all about making money and they don't give two stuffs about the old lot who stood on the old north bank , look at west ham they are going the same way as well & then it will be spurs
once you moved that's it there is no going back
football is getting bigger but it attracts a new breed of fan a fan who wants hot dogs, popcorn and taking pictures of players on there Iphones , and who is to say we will be in the prem once the stadium is built if anything it will get harder and harder for us as a club now the money is running dry ,

a 30k or 40 k bowl with us giving away 15k tickets to whoever isn't going to make us a massive club , it will be the end of the club

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Stadium in Greenford on 15:43 - Oct 11 with 2387 viewsderbyhoop

We cannot extend LR so, if we want any sort of progress we will have to move. Old Oak is likely to be the best as it will have the best transport links. We have a huge potential catchment area - if we are successful enough.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Stadium in Greenford on 16:14 - Oct 11 with 2343 viewsNorthernr

Stadium in Greenford on 15:41 - Oct 11 by paulparker

you use Arsenal as an example but they are not the Arsenal of old , they sold there soul when they went to the Emirates, its now a corporate machine all about making money and they don't give two stuffs about the old lot who stood on the old north bank , look at west ham they are going the same way as well & then it will be spurs
football is getting bigger but it attracts a new breed of fan a fan who wants hot dogs, popcorn and taking pictures of players on there Iphones , and who is to say we will be in the prem once the stadium is built if anything it will get harder and harder for us as a club now the money is running dry ,

a 30k or 40 k bowl with us giving away 15k tickets to whoever isn't going to make us a massive club , it will be the end of the club

The absolute key for the likes of you and me - if this ever happens of course - is the design of the ground. Sadly what the traditional British football supporter wants from his stadium and what he tends to end up with are absolute poles apart because while we're thinking about atmosphere, proximity to the pitch, safe standing, steep sided stands etc the people who design, build, conceive these things are thinking about sight lines, corporate hospitality, conferencing facilities, costs, health and safety etc.

It could be a brilliant thing mate. We could build a properly iconic, totally unique, atmospheric stadium that other fans are jealous of and say "why couldn't/don't we build something like that" in the same way we talk about grounds like Boavista, Sampdoria etc. It would set our club up for life, solve all the problems Loftus Road has etc etc.

What you and I fear is we'll end up with a version of what a dozen other clubs have got, and we'll be left to rattle round in it with 16,000 empty seats and almost complete silence.
Stadium in Greenford on 16:46 - Oct 11 with 2264 viewspaulparker

Stadium in Greenford on 16:14 - Oct 11 by Northernr

The absolute key for the likes of you and me - if this ever happens of course - is the design of the ground. Sadly what the traditional British football supporter wants from his stadium and what he tends to end up with are absolute poles apart because while we're thinking about atmosphere, proximity to the pitch, safe standing, steep sided stands etc the people who design, build, conceive these things are thinking about sight lines, corporate hospitality, conferencing facilities, costs, health and safety etc.

It could be a brilliant thing mate. We could build a properly iconic, totally unique, atmospheric stadium that other fans are jealous of and say "why couldn't/don't we build something like that" in the same way we talk about grounds like Boavista, Sampdoria etc. It would set our club up for life, solve all the problems Loftus Road has etc etc.

What you and I fear is we'll end up with a version of what a dozen other clubs have got, and we'll be left to rattle round in it with 16,000 empty seats and almost complete silence.

if we were to build a stadium like Millwalls , sampdoria, or boavista I would be like a pig in sugar and I would kiss lee & tonys feet everyday , but we all know it wont be like that
Lee Hoos as come out and said that he is about the corporate side of things even pointing out we cant even have a POTY dance because we don't have the corporate side of things to hold such events
the new stadium will be about one direction concerts , NFL games and what ever old crap they can showcase , cheap tickets will be given to the residents of tonys new housing scheme to fill the place , and I can guarantee you will have old fans kicking off with new fans at every home game , you talk about atmosphere being bad at HQ now well wait until the Air Asia Bowl opens
what we need is a ground like Rotherham a football ground built for football , 23k is enough for us , do it like that and it can be a good thing
the thing I worry about is going down the same road as the rest of these clubs it may be good financially for the boards , but it doesn't work and never will for real fans like us

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Stadium in Greenford on 16:49 - Oct 11 with 2256 viewsSonofNorfolt

The last thing I want is the Black Horse being a Rangers pub like it is now. Oh.............
Stadium in Greenford on 16:54 - Oct 11 with 2242 viewsNorthernr

Stadium in Greenford on 16:46 - Oct 11 by paulparker

if we were to build a stadium like Millwalls , sampdoria, or boavista I would be like a pig in sugar and I would kiss lee & tonys feet everyday , but we all know it wont be like that
Lee Hoos as come out and said that he is about the corporate side of things even pointing out we cant even have a POTY dance because we don't have the corporate side of things to hold such events
the new stadium will be about one direction concerts , NFL games and what ever old crap they can showcase , cheap tickets will be given to the residents of tonys new housing scheme to fill the place , and I can guarantee you will have old fans kicking off with new fans at every home game , you talk about atmosphere being bad at HQ now well wait until the Air Asia Bowl opens
what we need is a ground like Rotherham a football ground built for football , 23k is enough for us , do it like that and it can be a good thing
the thing I worry about is going down the same road as the rest of these clubs it may be good financially for the boards , but it doesn't work and never will for real fans like us

If you did Rotherham's slightly bigger and as two tiers all the way round - tiers on top of each other, not gently sloping back - that would be perfect at 25,000. Stick all the hotels and conference facilities you like on the side of that.
Stadium in Greenford on 17:01 - Oct 11 with 2226 viewsNW10Hoop

Stadium in Greenford on 15:41 - Oct 11 by paulparker

I wasn't making a direct comparison between us and Arsenal. Was just pointing out that clubs can grow in the capital, and like it or not - the clubs that don't grow will get left behind.

Would also say that it's too early to say whether West Ham will make a go of the Olympic Stadium. If the first 5 or six results went their way it would be a slightly different story.

Whatever the club does, you know that they are going to keep on canvasing the hardcore, the fellas my age and upwards. But if they don't attract the hot dog munching sport-as-entertainment-rather-than-suffering punters then some other club will.
Stadium in Greenford on 17:24 - Oct 11 with 2192 viewsDWQPR

Stadium in Greenford on 11:36 - Oct 11 by PlanetHonneywood

For some reason (probably technical inability) I can't load the picture of the article in question on here.

However, I think the key points are firstly, the North Greenford Resident's Association does not have a 'QPR agenda' and secondly, I was quite clear that the piece in question makes reference to an application for 'a huge football stadium'.

I am not aware of anyone other than QPR, currently looking to build and assuming the NGRA have relevant info about such an application (and they were spot on about the Glaxo development in the late 90s and every thing since) the question I guess, are we the potentially interested party?

Accordingly, as the NGRA's focus is solely about developments in the area, then it appears that they have become aware of something of potential interest.

Having come from that part of the world, it would be a nightmare. The roads are already rammed and with further housing development from the top of the Greenford Road to Greenford station under way, added match day traffic will lead to gridlock and the parking of the bus will take on more meaning when you're stuck on a 92 coming down from Sudbury Hll!

There are two close pubs, the Railway and the Black Horse. The local GAA might open up on Horsenden Hill and the Ballot Box might also get trade as well. The Greenwood on the Whitton Avenue is probably not much further than the C&S to HQ, but that is not going to be enough.

If this is true and if any club, much less us is seriously looking at this site, it would be a poor site due to massively rising congestion and poor amenities in the area for an added influx of thirsty and hungry fans.

JH, you've forgotten about the Bridge Hotel in your pubs list! Funnily I was talking to my mum the other day on the way back from lunch at the Black Horse about Greenford and apart from the small shopping area in Rockware Avenue, Greenford has largely been forgotten by all and sundry, not even one proper sized supermarket in the town, just the small Tesco up by the Broadway. Maybe the town planners have got something big in mind from between the railway lines and Horseden Hill, both on the Butlers site heading north and the other side of Oldfield Lane where Tetley's was. To be fair though, really cannot see a football ground being built there, unlike OOC it really does lack attraction potential for other businesses such as hotels and the like. I was born in Greenford, lived there for the first 19 years of my life, my Mum Still lives in the house I was born in, have some great memories with jumpers for goalposts in Greenford Park, drinking in the Railway, underage, with the likes of Alan Macca and Ian Stewart propping up the bar, but I would hate to live there now, the place has plummeted from a decent outer London Town to a place that nobody cares about anymore.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

Stadium in Greenford on 18:43 - Oct 11 with 2127 viewsPunteR

Stadium in Greenford on 11:39 - Oct 11 by CamberleyR

Very few of the "new" (I.e last 20 years) grounds have held concerts, it's the conferencing/banqueting/hotel facilities that bring money in.

I love LR for it's charm as an old fashioned football ground and a dying breed as much as the next man and have experienced being cramped in the seating in SAR and ER many times but having sat in row Z in block V in Ellerslie for the Sunderland game, trying to squeeze my 6 feet 4 self into a seat with a seat pitch meant for someone about two feet shorter than me, that had to be the worst sitting experience I have ever had at a football match and I was dreading extra time and having to sit there for another 30 minutes.

Even Mrs Camberley who has been to a few games at LR with me and knows what's it's usually like said it was ridiculously bad and then having the view slightly obscured by the overhanging gantry, that put the tin hat on it for me. If I was wavering before that game about moving (probably not), I certainly wasn't after it.

Yeh, I'm 5'7" and still struggle with the seats. :)
I think we do have to move but I guess I'm more concerned with where this current board are going to take us and how the whole thing pans out.
Tbf the club have been doing a lot of things right recently but I hope their main priority is what's best for the club and fans..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Stadium in Greenford on 19:25 - Oct 11 with 2066 viewsEsox_Lucius

Buy the Wincanton/ Butlers Warehouse site for a song. Let it be known that it would make a perfect site for a massive second hand car site, Sit back and wait for deal with Car Giant to be formulated to allow new stadium to be built on OOC. *taps side of nose.

The grass is always greener.

Stadium in Greenford on 19:37 - Oct 11 with 2056 viewsLongsufferingR

Stadium in Greenford on 16:46 - Oct 11 by paulparker

Millwall? Seriously? Four nondescript Meccano stands with huge gaps between them. It's just a larger version of the newer grounds that non-league teams build.
Stadium in Greenford on 21:25 - Oct 11 with 1962 viewsBoston

Stadium in Greenford on 23:52 - Oct 10 by qprjeff1882

Just had a look on google maps and not sure if iv'e got the right site. Directly in between Oldfield lane and Greenford rd? If it is that site compared to our current site it's huge, about 3.5 times bigger.
Has to be us as Chelsea are looking to develop SB and Brentford are sorted. Also if it's in a newsletter like that being published then if it is us then discussions must be at quite an advanced stage to have been given green light to be printed.
Be interesting now if the club come out and say anything. Could just be an alternative to Old oak but can't see things moving too quickly there as lots of companies must be arguing lots over potential sites and land.

Nah, I think Chelsea would prefer / be just as happy building a totally new venue. Makes sense to build a bridge where once you had to ford.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2016 21:27]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stadium in Greenford on 13:14 - Oct 12 with 1761 viewsRs_Holy

Stadium in Greenford on 16:54 - Oct 11 by Northernr

If you did Rotherham's slightly bigger and as two tiers all the way round - tiers on top of each other, not gently sloping back - that would be perfect at 25,000. Stick all the hotels and conference facilities you like on the side of that.

Right then I've had a think about it and come up with the perfect design for a new stadium.
You simply take the innards of Loftus Road and completely replicate it... With a few subtle changes...
1. All seating gets an additional 2 inches leg room.
2. You lose the supporting pillars... Hence lose restricted views.
3. Each stand is copied exactly but with an additional 10 rows added except the South Africa Road Stand which would have a third tier.
Low crowds could still create a decent atmosphere, Lee Hoos gets his bigger stadium for corporate stuff and we would (as Northern points out) be the envy of every medium sized club in the country... Simples 👍
Stadium in Greenford on 13:17 - Oct 12 with 1748 viewsLongsufferingR

Stadium in Greenford on 13:14 - Oct 12 by Rs_Holy

Right then I've had a think about it and come up with the perfect design for a new stadium.
You simply take the innards of Loftus Road and completely replicate it... With a few subtle changes...
3. Each stand is copied exactly but with an additional 10 rows added except the South Africa Road Stand which would have a third tier.
Low crowds could still create a decent atmosphere, Lee Hoos gets his bigger stadium for corporate stuff and we would (as Northern points out) be the envy of every medium sized club in the country... Simples 👍

Re. point 2 - I'm no engineer but I'm sure it would then fall down.
Stadium in Greenford on 13:25 - Oct 12 with 1728 viewsRs_Holy

Stadium in Greenford on 13:17 - Oct 12 by LongsufferingR

I refer the learned gentleman to the point made in the second sentence... The inside would be the same but the footprint of the stadium would be bigger to accommodate canterleaver roofed stands...
Stadium in Greenford on 13:40 - Oct 12 with 1710 viewsLongsufferingR

Stadium in Greenford on 13:25 - Oct 12 by Rs_Holy

I refer the learned gentleman to the point made in the second sentence... The inside would be the same but the footprint of the stadium would be bigger to accommodate canterleaver roofed stands...

Why would you have orange fleshed melons on the roof?
Stadium in Greenford on 13:46 - Oct 12 with 1695 viewsCamberleyR

Stadium in Greenford on 13:14 - Oct 12 by Rs_Holy

2 inches?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Stadium in Greenford on 13:47 - Oct 12 with 1691 viewsRs_Holy

Stadium in Greenford on 13:40 - Oct 12 by LongsufferingR

Why would you have orange fleshed melons on the roof?

Good point well made... That should have said "cantilever"
Stadium in Greenford on 14:11 - Oct 12 with 1648 viewsAntti_Heinola

Stadium in Greenford on 16:54 - Oct 11 by Northernr

Agree, but with 25000 it's not worth the cost of moving. Needs to be 30,000 minimum and we'll have to put up with having empty seats a lot when we're not successful.

Bare bones.

Stadium in Greenford on 14:25 - Oct 12 with 1623 viewsGloucs_R

IF, IF and IF this is true....its a massive change of direction for the club.

Either a back up plan to OOC or just means that OOC will either take too long or they feel they will be unsuccessful in their application.

Which would mean the new stadium would mainly be focused on football. Lets be honest, Greenford would hardly be the place you build an alternative music venue to Wembley area, which is just down the road.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Stadium in Greenford on 14:36 - Oct 12 with 1607 viewsBoston

Stadium in Greenford on 13:17 - Oct 12 by LongsufferingR

As mentioned by others, posts are not required, the standard / style of steel construction has moved on from the 60's.

Stadium in Greenford on 14:39 - Oct 12 with 1597 viewsLongsufferingR

Stadium in Greenford on 14:36 - Oct 12 by Boston

As mentioned by others, posts are not required, the standard / style of steel construction has moved on from the 60's.

I know, I was joking.
Stadium in Greenford on 15:41 - Oct 12 with 1518 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Stadium in Greenford on 17:24 - Oct 11 by DWQPR

JH, you've forgotten about the Bridge Hotel in your pubs list! Funnily I was talking to my mum the other day on the way back from lunch at the Black Horse about Greenford and apart from the small shopping area in Rockware Avenue, Greenford has largely been forgotten by all and sundry, not even one proper sized supermarket in the town, just the small Tesco up by the Broadway. Maybe the town planners have got something big in mind from between the railway lines and Horseden Hill, both on the Butlers site heading north and the other side of Oldfield Lane where Tetley's was. To be fair though, really cannot see a football ground being built there, unlike OOC it really does lack attraction potential for other businesses such as hotels and the like. I was born in Greenford, lived there for the first 19 years of my life, my Mum Still lives in the house I was born in, have some great memories with jumpers for goalposts in Greenford Park, drinking in the Railway, underage, with the likes of Alan Macca and Ian Stewart propping up the bar, but I would hate to live there now, the place has plummeted from a decent outer London Town to a place that nobody cares about anymore.

Good shout, totally forgot about the Bridge Hotel.

I should also mention three shops-turned-Irish pubs in the vacinity; the Office in Oldfield Circus, the Yard up by Sudbury Hill station and Captain Morgan's opposite where the Oldfield once stood.

Similarly to your mum, Mother Planethonneywood still lives in the same house I grew up in and irony being what it is, I've popped back to see her and passed the site earlier. Whoever has submitted proposals to the LBoE with a stadium in mind, is a fool or, there's an ulterior motive.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Stadium in Greenford on 15:49 - Oct 12 with 1508 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Stadium in Greenford on 16:49 - Oct 11 by SonofNorfolt

The last thing I want is the Black Horse being a Rangers pub like it is now. Oh.............

To farkin' right Mel!

No way will the residents stand idly by to see the inherent charm of London's most esoteric village destroyed by footballing yobbos.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the team the locals think might be behind this, are a complete and utter shambles from inner city London who, wait for it, aren't even in the Premiership!!! Apparently, the shower in question, play in something called 'the championship'. Never heard of it myself, sounds more 'chumpionship'!

Stadium in Greenford on 02:26 - Oct 13 with 1355 viewsBoston

Stadium in Greenford on 15:49 - Oct 12 by PlanetHonneywood

To farkin' right Mel!

No way will the residents stand idly by to see the inherent charm of London's most esoteric village destroyed by footballing yobbos.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the team the locals think might be behind this, are a complete and utter shambles from inner city London who, wait for it, aren't even in the Premiership!!! Apparently, the shower in question, play in something called 'the championship'. Never heard of it myself, sounds more 'chumpionship'!

Hang on, this is the same Black Horse once frequented by motor cycling enthusiasts back in the 70/80's?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024