Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black Cabs versus Uber 13:44 - Oct 14 with 30430 viewsBlackCrowe

30 minutes ago in St Martins Lane.

Me: Hi, do you take cards

Black cab: Read the sign mate - cash only. Now do you want a cab or not?

Me: It's alright, I'll get an Uber.

How to wreck your livelihood in one simple step

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:04 - Mar 3 with 2634 viewsTacticalR

@baz_qpr 'Give me 3 child slaves and a carriage and I'll get you there for £15'

There's definitely a gap in the market. I predict Slave-driversâ„¢ will be a great success.

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:09 - Mar 3 with 2619 viewsMick_S

Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:51 - Mar 3 by hoopdog

Both you and Mick S must have gone to the Taxi rank understandably , where the Taxis have been through the feeder park system where they will wait a minimum of 4 hours ,so your quote with waiting time and travelling time to your destination would earn the driver probably less than £15 hour , Mick S his quote to Hillingdon of £20 would have stood the driver less than £5 a hour .
Now if anybody uses the gett , Black taxi app they can ask for a fixed price which will be offered to taxis that are dropping off and have not been through the feeder park so can accept cheaper fares ,
Anybody that uses taxis and mini cabs uber should down load the gett and Hailo apps as a stand by , you can ask for a fixed price on any gett fare both Hailo and gett do from park lane Edgewater Rd in the West to Heathrow terminals 2,3,4 for £40 and terminal 5 £45
And certainly be sure their wives Doughters and Sisters have these apps on their phones
[Post edited 3 Mar 2017 14:59]

Ok hoopdog, I didn't realise that; it does show things differently, but our fare, to us, was far too much for a ten minute journey. Our driver also explained that if he could make it back within an hour he was put to the front of the queue to compensate for his bad luck. (my words, not his!)
Superb service - no complaints there.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:16 - Mar 3 with 2599 viewsJuzzie

The queue only had room for about half a dozen cabs, no way he's have sat there for 4 hours.

I know what it was, there was rugger that day and the traffic was bad and he basically wanted me to pay so he/we could sit in traffic.

Took tube to Hounslow East and got a mini cab and was home 15 mins later.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:21 - Mar 3 with 2592 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:47 - Mar 3 by Juzzie

Completely understand the economies of the situation in that one will always go for the cheaper option (I was quoted £80+ by a black cabbie to go 6 miles from Heathrow, so I took the tube then a local minicab-total cost £11 - If the cabbie had said £20 I would have done it) but lets say worst case scenario that people have suggested and all the black cabs disappear the uber start putting up their prices and eventually become more than a black cab.

How will you, and other uber uses, feel then? Not only contributing to the outcome but now having to pay more than before.

Just curious as the business model seems very much taking advantage of this situation to kill off black cabs as it's difficult to avoid not going for the cheaper option.

[Post edited 3 Mar 2017 13:56]

how can you be quoted £80 for six miles when the meter is incapable of charging more than £3.90 a mile?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:22 - Mar 3 with 2578 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:18 - Mar 3 by hoopdog

Uber lose English language case amid claims will 30k will lose jobs

this is the company hell bent on developing driverless cars so it can put ALL of its drivers out of work?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:26 - Mar 3 with 3466 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:09 - Mar 3 by Mick_S

Ok hoopdog, I didn't realise that; it does show things differently, but our fare, to us, was far too much for a ten minute journey. Our driver also explained that if he could make it back within an hour he was put to the front of the queue to compensate for his bad luck. (my words, not his!)
Superb service - no complaints there.

Yeah he could go straight on the rank but in all likelihood he would still have to wait for the next flight , and if he gets into London on his next trip he might get £50 to west London your £20 he's holding £70 for 5.5 _6 hours it happens , yeah his fault for using the feeder PK , me I drop of and come back in empty unless I get something off the app , but anyhow do yourself a favour and down load the apps even if you don't use them it's no harm having them on your phone
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:37 - Mar 3 with 3438 viewsJuzzie

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:21 - Mar 3 by Nov77

how can you be quoted £80 for six miles when the meter is incapable of charging more than £3.90 a mile?

Probably because he wanted me to pay for sitting in the traffic! I think meters still increase, albeit at a slower rate(?) when stationary?
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:39 - Mar 3 with 3432 viewsFredManRave

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:21 - Mar 3 by Nov77

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/croydon-man-who-tried-to-get-uber-from-brixto

This story just has to be about the Captain trying to get home after a weekend session at BrixtonR's, shirley¡?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:43 - Mar 3 with 3366 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:16 - Mar 3 by Juzzie

The queue only had room for about half a dozen cabs, no way he's have sat there for 4 hours.

I know what it was, there was rugger that day and the traffic was bad and he basically wanted me to pay so he/we could sit in traffic.

Took tube to Hounslow East and got a mini cab and was home 15 mins later.

The feeder ParKs are the other side of the airport the hundreds of taxis wait there for room on the terminal ranks , I've no reason to give you porkies ,
And you were quoted £80 hmn I know for a fact any fare inside the metropolitan police area is a metered fare , taxi can only quote a fare that goes outside the met district it's illegal to quote inside the met area unless it's a reduced rate you could have reported him to the wardens or police
Oh you would still pay to sit in traffic as the meter still works on waiting time
[Post edited 3 Mar 2017 18:02]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 20:43 - Mar 3 with 3295 viewsJuzzie

Oh I don't doubt at all what you're saying hoopdog. Just that it was a really high amount and I was knackered having been up since the middle of the night and door to door travelled for some 15+ hours from central Asia and as much as i just wanted to get home and have a take away curry and beer (which i eventually did) I just wasnt going to pay that amount.
Being that knackered it didnt ocuur to me to go down tne route of reporting, i just wanted to get home so took the tube and a minicab the last few miles.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:30 - Mar 9 with 3178 viewsTacticalR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 00:32 - Mar 3 by FDC

This is a great talk on the gig economy and platform companies like Uber, Deliveroo, Facebook etc. and what their business model actually is

He's very good on the technical side of these developments and the attempts to establish monopolies. He explains what Uber's (phantom) surges are (on youtube drivers were complaining about this) and what Uber's endgame is. Interesting what he says about how an 'old economy' company like Rolls Royce fits into all this by 'selling thrust' rather than selling engines.

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 19:15 - Mar 20 with 3002 viewsTacticalR

'Jeff Jones, the president of Uber, is quitting the car-hailing company after less than a year.'

'Jones also confirmed the departure with a blistering assessment of the company. "It is now clear, however, that the beliefs and approach to leadership that have guided my career are inconsistent with what I saw and experienced at Uber, and I can no longer continue as president of the ride-sharing business," he said in a statement to Recode.'

Uber president Jeff Jones is quitting, citing differences over 'beliefs and approach to leadership'
http://www.recode.net/2017/3/19/14976110/uber-president-jeff-jones-quits

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 20:26 - Mar 20 with 2938 viewsWatford_Ranger

Black Cabs versus Uber on 19:15 - Mar 20 by TacticalR

'Jeff Jones, the president of Uber, is quitting the car-hailing company after less than a year.'

'Jones also confirmed the departure with a blistering assessment of the company. "It is now clear, however, that the beliefs and approach to leadership that have guided my career are inconsistent with what I saw and experienced at Uber, and I can no longer continue as president of the ride-sharing business," he said in a statement to Recode.'

Uber president Jeff Jones is quitting, citing differences over 'beliefs and approach to leadership'
http://www.recode.net/2017/3/19/14976110/uber-president-jeff-jones-quits

I don't doubt they're probably complete cnts but I crawled two miles across London on Saturday night, taking about 20 mins, for £6.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 01:57 - Mar 25 with 2703 viewsNov77

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4347676/David-Cameron-s-chum-ocracy-link

Cameron + Osborne = scum!

Destroying London's taxi trade just to help out their mates.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:37 - Mar 25 with 2551 viewsBoston

The Great British Public aren't renowned for their generosity when it comes to tipping. Uber's policy on this matter doesn't stop the reality that riders this side of the pond have a culture which rewards for service and drivers are tipped regardless of head office directives. As a regular user of cabs, black, mini or Uber, I've not failed to notice the wide disparity in acceptable gratuities offered by my traveling companions depending upon which country I'm in. Certainly strikes me that Uber personnel in the US can earn a respectable living.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:52 - Mar 25 with 2534 viewsLblock

Just read through all the recent posts on this.

Years ago when my mob were going out we'd always take a black cab if possible on the out the route, but never any to be seen at silly o'clock so it was always cabs home (usually with an extra fiver bunged to take 5 or 6 in a load!!)
Cash soon became king.

My view on black cabs was sullied when I feel asleep on the last train a few years back. Woke up at terminal 5 and simply ushered out of the terminal to a few waiting black cabs.
Fare quoted to Ealing (15 minutes that time of the morning) was "Sixty quid minimum".
I simply said "You're joking?" and the response was "Yep - it's Seventy and I'm the next one off the rank so we going or what?"... went to next in queue of about six cabs and of course ranks were closed on the rank. In a fit of pique I said "You robbing fockers, I'd sooner walk"... and off I set as the shout of "Enjoy your walk" wafted towards me.
Luckily I jumped a mini cab that was picking up two East Europeans who'd just finished working nearby - I offered to pay for the lot but they insisted that they paid their end.
The whole fare including a stop off at the Holiday Inn was £14.00.
That was before the Uber App blew up.

I dont hold with brand loyalty (unless it's in blue and white hoops) but you can gauge and a view on a whole sector of a market with bad experiences.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:06 - Mar 25 with 2513 viewsBoston

Will a driver-less cab ever be able to keep you up to speed with the score at Millwall?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:22 - Mar 25 with 2496 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:52 - Mar 25 by Lblock

Just read through all the recent posts on this.

Years ago when my mob were going out we'd always take a black cab if possible on the out the route, but never any to be seen at silly o'clock so it was always cabs home (usually with an extra fiver bunged to take 5 or 6 in a load!!)
Cash soon became king.

My view on black cabs was sullied when I feel asleep on the last train a few years back. Woke up at terminal 5 and simply ushered out of the terminal to a few waiting black cabs.
Fare quoted to Ealing (15 minutes that time of the morning) was "Sixty quid minimum".
I simply said "You're joking?" and the response was "Yep - it's Seventy and I'm the next one off the rank so we going or what?"... went to next in queue of about six cabs and of course ranks were closed on the rank. In a fit of pique I said "You robbing fockers, I'd sooner walk"... and off I set as the shout of "Enjoy your walk" wafted towards me.
Luckily I jumped a mini cab that was picking up two East Europeans who'd just finished working nearby - I offered to pay for the lot but they insisted that they paid their end.
The whole fare including a stop off at the Holiday Inn was £14.00.
That was before the Uber App blew up.

I dont hold with brand loyalty (unless it's in blue and white hoops) but you can gauge and a view on a whole sector of a market with bad experiences.

When the terrorist attack happened in Westminster black cab drivers were taking people away from the area for free, uber were surge pricing again.

For every story of one bad experience you can find loads more of good ones. Look up what drivers do for armed service veterans, or giving up their time to take disabled youngsters to eurodsiney for free every year.

Good luck finding a story on an uber driver doing that.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:24 - Mar 25 with 2457 viewsTW_R

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:22 - Mar 25 by Nov77

When the terrorist attack happened in Westminster black cab drivers were taking people away from the area for free, uber were surge pricing again.

For every story of one bad experience you can find loads more of good ones. Look up what drivers do for armed service veterans, or giving up their time to take disabled youngsters to eurodsiney for free every year.

Good luck finding a story on an uber driver doing that.

I guess you haven't heard of UberGiving then? Uber drivers get involved in numerous charitable events across the globe. In the UK Uber teamed up with AgeUk where Uber drivers collected any donations to AgeUk for free and delivered them to the local AgeUk shop.

As said previously, Uber drivers tend to be friendly and polite. Quite often they are people doing it part time while trying fund education or supplement a low-income family. I can understand your dislike for the company, but the drivers aren't all selfish, heartless, money-grabbing bastards. They are just ordinary people trying to make a living.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:39 - Mar 25 with 2402 viewshoof_hearted

2.3 mile walk my phone said last night. My friend can't walk far so I looked up Uber £5.90 but a black cab came along so we jumped in. Cost £13.40.

Oh, I had to look up the road for him on my phone too. Shame he didn't have a sat nav. Knowledge my @rse.

Also, whatever cab I ever take from the airport has no idea about the "burbs" so they need directing. Shame they don't use sat navs.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2017 14:42]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:54 - Mar 25 with 2387 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:39 - Mar 25 by hoof_hearted

2.3 mile walk my phone said last night. My friend can't walk far so I looked up Uber £5.90 but a black cab came along so we jumped in. Cost £13.40.

Oh, I had to look up the road for him on my phone too. Shame he didn't have a sat nav. Knowledge my @rse.

Also, whatever cab I ever take from the airport has no idea about the "burbs" so they need directing. Shame they don't use sat navs.

What sorta mate are you that a piggy back wasn't available?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:24 - Mar 25 with 2373 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:39 - Mar 25 by hoof_hearted

what part of 'predatory pricing' (illegal under UK and European law) is that you don't understand?

Uber's fares are only low until the competition is wiped out, then fares will have to rise by 3 or 4 hundred per cent for them to start making any money.

In the meantime I hope you are not complaining about public services and the NHS being starved of cash whilst you are supporting a company that is putting people out of work who pay tax and do not claim anything and replacing them with people are paid so little they have to be subsidized by the tax payer through tax credits, they are a company who also domiciles itself abroad so it will never have to pay any tax on it's income here in the UK.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:29 - Mar 25 with 2367 viewsBoston

November...is this the start of your winter of discontent?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:47 - Mar 27 with 2113 viewsNov77

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4351418/Cameron-aide-s-uber-cover-up.htm

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:45 - Mar 28 with 1915 viewswhittocksRs

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:24 - Mar 25 by Nov77

what part of 'predatory pricing' (illegal under UK and European law) is that you don't understand?

Uber's fares are only low until the competition is wiped out, then fares will have to rise by 3 or 4 hundred per cent for them to start making any money.

In the meantime I hope you are not complaining about public services and the NHS being starved of cash whilst you are supporting a company that is putting people out of work who pay tax and do not claim anything and replacing them with people are paid so little they have to be subsidized by the tax payer through tax credits, they are a company who also domiciles itself abroad so it will never have to pay any tax on it's income here in the UK.

You may very well be right, but then black cabs are notorious for their hatred of tax. You'll still struggle to find one allowing for cards, as that is immediately taxed. Bit rich to dig one side out and ignore the failings of the other.

For everything distasteful Uber does corporately, black cab drivers are finding ways to further rub customers up the wrong way. And, as others have already said, ultimately it's the customer experience that will decide which side dies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024