Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black Cabs versus Uber 13:44 - Oct 14 with 30667 viewsBlackCrowe

30 minutes ago in St Martins Lane.

Me: Hi, do you take cards

Black cab: Read the sign mate - cash only. Now do you want a cab or not?

Me: It's alright, I'll get an Uber.

How to wreck your livelihood in one simple step

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:05 - Mar 28 with 3333 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:45 - Mar 28 by whittocksRs

You may very well be right, but then black cabs are notorious for their hatred of tax. You'll still struggle to find one allowing for cards, as that is immediately taxed. Bit rich to dig one side out and ignore the failings of the other.

For everything distasteful Uber does corporately, black cab drivers are finding ways to further rub customers up the wrong way. And, as others have already said, ultimately it's the customer experience that will decide which side dies.

'Struggle to find one allowing for cards?

Really?

Every black cab in London is required as a condition of fitness to have a credit card reader fitted in the cab.

shouldnt be much of a 'struggle' to find 'one'.

By the way it will probably be the courts that decide which side 'dies' ' as uber should never have been licensed in the first place as they break every law and regulation that minicab companies are supposed to adhere to.

If you bothered to read the above newspaper expose you would see the level of government interference and the self interest of Cameron/Osborne in letting them bypass the law.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:14 - Mar 28 with 3310 viewshoof_hearted

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:45 - Mar 28 by whittocksRs

You may very well be right, but then black cabs are notorious for their hatred of tax. You'll still struggle to find one allowing for cards, as that is immediately taxed. Bit rich to dig one side out and ignore the failings of the other.

For everything distasteful Uber does corporately, black cab drivers are finding ways to further rub customers up the wrong way. And, as others have already said, ultimately it's the customer experience that will decide which side dies.

Pound for pound Uber drivers probably pay a higher proportion of the expected tax than Black Cabs do because ALL of their money from Uber is paid to the bank and only the modest (compered to the Black cab drivers expectations) tips are in cash. They earn less so pay less tax but they also don't get forced to buy those overpriced, Chinese, diesel fume spewing tanks so need less income.

I don't hate Black Cabs - some of my best friends and all that - but they're fighting a losing battle. Most semi-skilled work will be going the same way over the next few decades and quite a lot of highly skilled work too. The times they are a changing.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:18 - Mar 28 with 3298 viewshoof_hearted

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:05 - Mar 28 by Nov77

Really?

Every black cab in London is required as a condition of fitness to have a credit card reader fitted in the cab.

By the way it will probably be the courts that decide which side 'dies' ' as uber should never have been licensed in the first place as they break every law and regulation that minicab companies are supposed to adhere to.

If you bothered to read the above newspaper expose you would see the level of government interference and the self interest of Cameron/Osborne in letting them bypass the law.

You're right about the cards. They all have them but they smile brighter if you pay cash, that's for sure!

If Uber goes then something else set up in a fairer way takes it's place. I had a card through the door from the local cab firm about downloading their app. It's too easy for the technology to take over and there is no appetite to stop it. I have to say that when I have used Ubers they have always been fine and I ask then what they think of the company and it's all positive. Better than the local cab company that fleeced them for years every bit as much as Uber.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:54 - Mar 28 with 3259 viewswhittocksRs

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:05 - Mar 28 by Nov77

Really?

Yes struggle i.e. I ask if they have them and they say they don't work. I'm fully aware they've been required to carry card readers for a long time, but that doesn't mean they don't say they're out of order a good percentage of the time. I've been turned down three times by black cabs since Christmas as I don't carry cash. So, yes, struggle.

I know what the law is, I know what the sh*tty government favours, and I still use Uber because it is cheaper and the service you get for your money is better. Certainly won't apologise for that.

I've got no love for Uber or its practices, which are worse in the UK than in the most of the States, but I'm also not sticking up for an industry that seems to be determined to f*ck the customer and kill itself in the process. It is incumbent on the black cabs to change with the demands of the customer, not the other way round. We're not living in a fairytale here.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:35 - Mar 28 with 3178 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:54 - Mar 28 by whittocksRs

Yes struggle i.e. I ask if they have them and they say they don't work. I'm fully aware they've been required to carry card readers for a long time, but that doesn't mean they don't say they're out of order a good percentage of the time. I've been turned down three times by black cabs since Christmas as I don't carry cash. So, yes, struggle.

I know what the law is, I know what the sh*tty government favours, and I still use Uber because it is cheaper and the service you get for your money is better. Certainly won't apologise for that.

I've got no love for Uber or its practices, which are worse in the UK than in the most of the States, but I'm also not sticking up for an industry that seems to be determined to f*ck the customer and kill itself in the process. It is incumbent on the black cabs to change with the demands of the customer, not the other way round. We're not living in a fairytale here.

" I still use Uber because it is cheaper and the service you get for your money is better"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1372792/uber-crashes-and-prangs-of-low-cost-cabbie

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-sex-attacks-on-l

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:44 - Mar 28 with 3127 viewsBoston

Driver...Shepherds Bush

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:49 - Mar 28 with 3123 viewsBlackCrowe

I've used Uber probably around 40 times and have never a had a bad experience.

To be honest I've only had a handful of bad experiences with black cabs over the years. But the cost difference and faffing around with paying, receipts and tips as well as getting one when you need one puts them in a very challenged position.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:55 - Mar 28 with 3111 viewsLongsufferingR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:35 - Mar 28 by Nov77

" I still use Uber because it is cheaper and the service you get for your money is better"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1372792/uber-crashes-and-prangs-of-low-cost-cabbie

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-sex-attacks-on-l

To be honest, whatever the merits/drawbacks of both systems, black cab drivers would be better served by improving their own service/product rather than finding ways of attacking the newcomers. I'm sure we can all find articles on drivers from one side or the other who have committed serious crimes, and black cab drivers should be the last people to criticise the driving skills of other road users, as in my experience, their ranks include some of the most selfish, inconsiderate drivers out there.
Login to get fewer ads

Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:05 - Mar 28 with 3079 viewsTacticalR

@LongsufferingR 'their ranks' very good

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 20:06 - Mar 28 with 3031 viewsLongsufferingR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:05 - Mar 28 by TacticalR

@LongsufferingR 'their ranks' very good

I'm here all week.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 22:10 - Mar 28 with 2983 viewsTW_R

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:24 - Mar 25 by Nov77

what part of 'predatory pricing' (illegal under UK and European law) is that you don't understand?

Uber's fares are only low until the competition is wiped out, then fares will have to rise by 3 or 4 hundred per cent for them to start making any money.

In the meantime I hope you are not complaining about public services and the NHS being starved of cash whilst you are supporting a company that is putting people out of work who pay tax and do not claim anything and replacing them with people are paid so little they have to be subsidized by the tax payer through tax credits, they are a company who also domiciles itself abroad so it will never have to pay any tax on it's income here in the UK.

I might be missing something but if, as you say, Uber is "predatory pricing" why haven't all the black cab firms gotten together and taken it to court? Uber have made a profit in the UK for at least 3 years so it's very hard to argue they are predatory pricing at all.

I think this has been proved out by the fact the black cab firms decided to try and take Uber to court over nebulous claims that the Uber app was an illegal meter, instead of trying to claim predatory pricing.

The competition will never be wiped out. There are already other companies moving into the market, such as Lyft. I'm surprised at the amount of time and money black cab cos are spending trying to discredit the competition, instead of trying to improve the customer experience and give better value for money.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 01:04 - Mar 29 with 2953 viewsFredManRave

Black Cabs versus Uber on 20:06 - Mar 28 by LongsufferingR

I'm here all week.

Bloody Hell is that the earliest Black Cab you could get?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:04 - Mar 29 with 2883 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 22:10 - Mar 28 by TW_R

I might be missing something but if, as you say, Uber is "predatory pricing" why haven't all the black cab firms gotten together and taken it to court? Uber have made a profit in the UK for at least 3 years so it's very hard to argue they are predatory pricing at all.

I think this has been proved out by the fact the black cab firms decided to try and take Uber to court over nebulous claims that the Uber app was an illegal meter, instead of trying to claim predatory pricing.

The competition will never be wiped out. There are already other companies moving into the market, such as Lyft. I'm surprised at the amount of time and money black cab cos are spending trying to discredit the competition, instead of trying to improve the customer experience and give better value for money.

What black cab firms there are no black cab firms every black cab driver is self employed most choose to subscribe to 3 apps dac, gett, and Hailo , and comcab,That take 10% of whatever fare they pass on to the driver , not all drivers work off the app
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 13:08]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:28 - Mar 29 with 2853 viewswhittocksRs

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:35 - Mar 28 by Nov77

LOL. I you wanna get into that tittle tattle, I take your Uber serial rapist and raise you John Worboys and Christopher Halliwell. Assume you'll re-raise with Jason Dalton.

Point is, most cab drivers won't kill or harm you.

That's a different debate altogether.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:53 - Apr 17 with 2650 viewsTacticalR

There was a question earlier in the thread about whether Uber was profitable. This was in Friday's FT:

'Uber recorded a $2.8bn loss in 2016 in the middle of an aggressive global expansion, cementing its place as the most heavily loss-making private company in the history of Silicon Valley.'

Uber registers $2.8bn loss in 2016 expansion drive
https://www.ft.com/content/52b54056-214d-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

The site is behind a paywall, but for some reason if you search for an FT article through Google Search the FT site sometimes lets you see the whole article (from the UK at least):
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Uber+registers+%242.8bn+loss+in+2016+expansion

As I said before, all along my questions have been about how the whole thing actually works.

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:04 - Apr 17 with 2593 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:53 - Apr 17 by TacticalR

There was a question earlier in the thread about whether Uber was profitable. This was in Friday's FT:

'Uber recorded a $2.8bn loss in 2016 in the middle of an aggressive global expansion, cementing its place as the most heavily loss-making private company in the history of Silicon Valley.'

Uber registers $2.8bn loss in 2016 expansion drive
https://www.ft.com/content/52b54056-214d-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

The site is behind a paywall, but for some reason if you search for an FT article through Google Search the FT site sometimes lets you see the whole article (from the UK at least):
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Uber+registers+%242.8bn+loss+in+2016+expansion

As I said before, all along my questions have been about how the whole thing actually works.

Its called predatory pricing and it's illegal in US, UK and European law.
Uber have just been kicked out of Italy because of it.
They are selling services at a loss in order to drive the competition out of business.
Right now, Uber passengers are only paying 41% of the actual cost of the ride, the rest is subsidized by the Billions that venture capitalists have invested in the hope once they achieve monopoly they can raise prices massively.

Uber were also kicked out of Denmark and Hungary in the last week.

There's a private prosecution taking place at the moment in the UK over Uber's unpaid VAT on all of their rides (hundreds of £millions). It should have been HMRC taking them to court but this government told HMRC to lay off Uber as they did the regulatory body TFL.

In all likelihood there will soon be a parliamentary enquiry into the links between Cameron, Osborne and Uber. Evidence is overwhelming of corruption and at TFL also.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 23:11 - May 30 with 2382 viewsTacticalR

Uber fires head of self-driving car unit amid lawsuit over stolen Google secrets
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/30/uber-fires-self-driving-car-h

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 01:02 - May 31 with 2337 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:04 - Apr 17 by Nov77

Its called predatory pricing and it's illegal in US, UK and European law.
Uber have just been kicked out of Italy because of it.
They are selling services at a loss in order to drive the competition out of business.
Right now, Uber passengers are only paying 41% of the actual cost of the ride, the rest is subsidized by the Billions that venture capitalists have invested in the hope once they achieve monopoly they can raise prices massively.

Uber were also kicked out of Denmark and Hungary in the last week.

There's a private prosecution taking place at the moment in the UK over Uber's unpaid VAT on all of their rides (hundreds of £millions). It should have been HMRC taking them to court but this government told HMRC to lay off Uber as they did the regulatory body TFL.

In all likelihood there will soon be a parliamentary enquiry into the links between Cameron, Osborne and Uber. Evidence is overwhelming of corruption and at TFL also.

Uber were successful in the Italian courts, the service resumed last weekend. While Denmark and Hungary are against the service citing local laws, the big problem for them is the EU, who appear to support the San Fran company.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 09:03 - May 31 with 2263 viewssimmo

Had a 6 in the morning post-session Uber this Bank Holiday weekend that was a 45 minute drive to the middle of nowhere and had to deal with me in a right old state. The guy was probably the lovelist man ever and he had a couple of cold bottles of water for me to help myself to, it cost £16.

As usual disruption is blamed on the disruptor when actually it's because this is now a customer-centric market and the organisations that build their businesses on this mantra are winning - same as Air BnB and many others. Uber has issues but ultimately it continues to get me where I want to go cheaper and with less effort. Until Black Cabs get in line with them I'll continue to take the easy option

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Black Cabs versus Uber on 10:37 - May 31 with 2204 viewsTacticalR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 09:03 - May 31 by simmo

Had a 6 in the morning post-session Uber this Bank Holiday weekend that was a 45 minute drive to the middle of nowhere and had to deal with me in a right old state. The guy was probably the lovelist man ever and he had a couple of cold bottles of water for me to help myself to, it cost £16.

As usual disruption is blamed on the disruptor when actually it's because this is now a customer-centric market and the organisations that build their businesses on this mantra are winning - same as Air BnB and many others. Uber has issues but ultimately it continues to get me where I want to go cheaper and with less effort. Until Black Cabs get in line with them I'll continue to take the easy option

There's nothing wrong with that, but the thing with Uber is to rise beyond the anecdotal and ask 'how does this work?'

Customer-centric is good, but the purpose of capitalist production is profit, not to be customer-centric.

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:00 - Jun 6 with 2032 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 10:37 - May 31 by TacticalR

There's nothing wrong with that, but the thing with Uber is to rise beyond the anecdotal and ask 'how does this work?'

Customer-centric is good, but the purpose of capitalist production is profit, not to be customer-centric.

I'm not knocking you if you're an Uber driver, but does your / this service raise its rates during / after terrorist incidents?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:09 - Jun 6 with 2011 viewsJeff

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:00 - Jun 6 by Boston

I'm not knocking you if you're an Uber driver, but does your / this service raise its rates during / after terrorist incidents?

it's algorithmic - if 100 people request a cab at the same time, the price surges automatically, so yes, on Saturday the Uber prices rose after the attack.

it's not Uber making a quick buck on the back of an atrocity, it's a simply supply / demand equation. It does the same at turf out time at the end of an O2 gig.

Obviously in an ideal world you'd have Uber react to this sort of thing and drop prices back to base rate, but you'd then need someone monitoring all the Uber territories for 'incidents which should not be exploited' etc.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2017 15:10]

Can we not knock it?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:22 - Jun 6 with 1981 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:09 - Jun 6 by Jeff

it's algorithmic - if 100 people request a cab at the same time, the price surges automatically, so yes, on Saturday the Uber prices rose after the attack.

it's not Uber making a quick buck on the back of an atrocity, it's a simply supply / demand equation. It does the same at turf out time at the end of an O2 gig.

Obviously in an ideal world you'd have Uber react to this sort of thing and drop prices back to base rate, but you'd then need someone monitoring all the Uber territories for 'incidents which should not be exploited' etc.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2017 15:10]

Thanks for the answer.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:36 - Jun 6 with 1963 viewssimmo

Same at the moment if you're looking for a cab from around 9pm, there's a shortage of drivers then as it's Ramadan and half the drivers can finally eat or get a drink!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Black Cabs versus Uber on 22:19 - Jun 6 with 1871 viewsTripper

Continually being overcharged now by Uber.

Got a cab back from Epsom to Watford on Sunday morning for a very reasonable £56.00 quote.When my email receipt came through they charged me £106, which is a pretty big difference.

Complained and was told driver drove M25 rather than through London and it was up me me to tell the driver the way I wanted to go, nothing more they can do.

A local can firm quoted £80 and I'll still to them whenever possible from now on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024