Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... 23:42 - Oct 17 with 7166 viewsHadders

I recently started a small business giving guided walks around Bloomsbury, and today took a Dutch family round - a 30-something couple with two boys, aged 9 and 13. The bloke mentioned that he loved football and really wanted to go to an English game - "Not Arsenal or Spurs, somewhere with a real atmosphere". So I lied, and I am taking the whole family tomorrow night; he`s had to fork out £82 for the "cheap" seats in R block. He has a season ticket for his local team, PEC Zwolle, who it turns out are bottom of the Eredivisie (their Prem) and play in blue and white hoops, so he should feel at home. Anyone on here ever seen them? Apparently, they beat Ajax to win the Dutch cup quite recently, their all-time highlight.

They are lovely people who have never been to London before and I REALLY want us to win so they get a good, memorable experience rather than just a load of angry men swearing.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 21:24]
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 17:37 - Oct 20 with 2306 viewsforzapeczwolle

Hello. I am that Dutch bloke Hadder was talking about. Nice to read all the comments. We really liked to attend a QPR match and I forgive Hadder's lie. At the moment our team PEC ZWOLLE (famous for beating Ajax two years ago in the Dutch cup final with 5-1) is at the last position, so I got used to some suffering (first home victory after 6 home matches). Also the colours of the shirts (blue white) are similar. Bought a shawl for my youngest son which he can wear during PEC Zwolle matches. I like that the stadium looks like dropped between houses, quite nostalgic, but in my opinion how football should be. And the crowd is looking very concentrated to the match. We liked the songs (second half, especially that one with something like "Rangers boys making all the noise"). Wish you all the best with QPR. From now on we will follow the results and next year we will be back, and hopefully than in a full stadium (beating Chelsea :-) ).
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 18:10 - Oct 20 with 2259 viewsforzapeczwolle

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 09:15 - Oct 18 by aston_hoop

Never been to Zwolle but I was watching some Dutch league football on TV with a Dutch colleague of mine when an article came on about the new Satdium that Heracles Almelo of the Dutch top division play in. They based the new ground on Loftus Road!! They wanted an intimidating atmosphere close to the pitch. Ask him if they have been.

Heracles extended very nicely its stadium. It is one of the few stadiums in Holland where you can almost touch the payers, like at QPR. PEC Zwolle also extended the stadium. It was till recently little bit ugly stadium because of high concrete walls on all 4 sides. Now we have extended the seats till down and the stadium is fine now and almost full eachmatch. Regarding the intimidating atmosphere I can only mention that our president told he wanted to create an intimidating atmosphere like at Dortmund. Well, this season it looks that our own team is more intimidated, unfortunately, as our opponents .
The only thing I dislike about PEC and Heraclesand some others teams is that they play on artificial grass (shame on us).
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 18:19]
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 18:28 - Oct 20 with 2231 viewsforzapeczwolle

I saw indeed that Tjarron Chery was one of the better players against Bristol.
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 18:29 - Oct 20 with 2230 viewsDWQPR

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 18:10 - Oct 20 by forzapeczwolle

Heracles extended very nicely its stadium. It is one of the few stadiums in Holland where you can almost touch the payers, like at QPR. PEC Zwolle also extended the stadium. It was till recently little bit ugly stadium because of high concrete walls on all 4 sides. Now we have extended the seats till down and the stadium is fine now and almost full eachmatch. Regarding the intimidating atmosphere I can only mention that our president told he wanted to create an intimidating atmosphere like at Dortmund. Well, this season it looks that our own team is more intimidated, unfortunately, as our opponents .
The only thing I dislike about PEC and Heraclesand some others teams is that they play on artificial grass (shame on us).
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 18:19]

Welcome to the madhouse that is LFW. Hardee's obviously hasn't explained the tradition for first time posters, which is to reveal their favourite cheese. And Edam doesn't count.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 18:46 - Oct 20 with 2205 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 09:24 - Oct 18 by DWQPR

Are these two part of the family of FC Zwolle supporters that you are taking tonight Hadders?

Good to see them playing two up top..

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... (n/t) (n/t) on 20:08 - Oct 20 with 2086 viewsforzapeczwolle

Nice colours?
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 20:14]
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 21:22 - Oct 20 with 2012 viewsHadders

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 10:49 - Oct 19 by Konk

Glad your Dutch friends enjoyed the game, but they'll be devastated when they read the papers this morning and realise they missed out on a topsy-turvy, 4 goal thriller with 2 pens, a farcical performance from the officials and a clapper-tastic raucous atmosphere as Fulham fought back from 2-0 down at London's most traditional and beautiful ground. Well, maybe not that gutted.

PS. Good luck with the business venture - I've done a few tours on my travels and if you get someone interesting and fun, it can be a real highlight of a trip. We did a day trip with a bloke in Cape Town and I was so gutted at the thought of never seeing him again, that when he dropped us off in the evening I honestly felt like crying. I miss you, Rob.

They were thinking of going to Craven Cottage, funnily enough, which is, of course, just as you describe it: a wonderful old-fashioned ground, also in a lovely location. But, you know, boll**ks to that poncy rubbish.

Thanks for your good wishes, Konk; I`m a primary school teacher in mid-midlife crisis, taking a year`s sabbatical to try something new, and absolutely loving it so far. The best part is getting to meet new people every day from around the world, chatting with them for a couple of hours (in between giving them my blah about a particularly beautiful and interesting part of central London) - it`s so unpredictable and interesting. For example, that Dutch family turned up on Monday and they are now real friends - how great is that? Also, I am interested in Rob, the Cape Town guy, as my Dad lives there half the year and I have close family there - do you have a contact for him?
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 21:23]
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 08:56 - Oct 21 with 1902 viewsKonk

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 21:22 - Oct 20 by Hadders

They were thinking of going to Craven Cottage, funnily enough, which is, of course, just as you describe it: a wonderful old-fashioned ground, also in a lovely location. But, you know, boll**ks to that poncy rubbish.

Thanks for your good wishes, Konk; I`m a primary school teacher in mid-midlife crisis, taking a year`s sabbatical to try something new, and absolutely loving it so far. The best part is getting to meet new people every day from around the world, chatting with them for a couple of hours (in between giving them my blah about a particularly beautiful and interesting part of central London) - it`s so unpredictable and interesting. For example, that Dutch family turned up on Monday and they are now real friends - how great is that? Also, I am interested in Rob, the Cape Town guy, as my Dad lives there half the year and I have close family there - do you have a contact for him?
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 21:23]

Sorry to hear about the teaching - I know seven teachers who've all left the profession - the oldest one being only forty-two. Such a shame - I wonder if the public fully appreciate the crisis in education.

Anyhow, glad you're enjoying the tours - great to find something you enjoy doing.

These are Rob's reviews: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g312659-d1237254-Reviews-Cape_Co

At first I thought he was going to be a bit wacky/kwazy, but he''s just got an insane amount of energy and enthusiasm. Spent a fair chunk of his youth in Epping as his family had problems with the Apartheid government, so he's an interesting mix of South African and Essex boy. A bit of a unique character he got even the shy folk joining in with the pis s-taking. Really knew his stuff, had some top tips etc, but it was just as interesting chatting to him about life in South Africa. A lovely bloke, impossibly upbeat and very, very funny. We did the Cape Point tour and it was a brilliant day.

On another trip, we spent an evening driving round the countryside outside Reykjavik looking for the Northern Lights - saw absolutely co ck-all, but had a great time chatting with our guide about Icelandic life. I'd have been happy just sat in a car parked-up outside the bloke's house. If you can combine a bit of local knowledge, a few laughs and some top tips on good places to eat/drink etc that I might not have thought of, then that's my dream tour. Good luck with it all - sure it will be a great success.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2016 10:29]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Login to get fewer ads

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 21:33 - Oct 21 with 1767 viewsdistortR

A heads up, if you will, Hadders.
Don't let Konk book a guided walk with you.
Both Rob and the Icelandic geyser have had to take out injunctions.
Poor Dan Burn had to move to Wigan, ffs.
Just say no.
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 00:21 - Oct 24 with 1659 viewsHadders

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 08:56 - Oct 21 by Konk

Sorry to hear about the teaching - I know seven teachers who've all left the profession - the oldest one being only forty-two. Such a shame - I wonder if the public fully appreciate the crisis in education.

Anyhow, glad you're enjoying the tours - great to find something you enjoy doing.

These are Rob's reviews: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g312659-d1237254-Reviews-Cape_Co

At first I thought he was going to be a bit wacky/kwazy, but he''s just got an insane amount of energy and enthusiasm. Spent a fair chunk of his youth in Epping as his family had problems with the Apartheid government, so he's an interesting mix of South African and Essex boy. A bit of a unique character he got even the shy folk joining in with the pis s-taking. Really knew his stuff, had some top tips etc, but it was just as interesting chatting to him about life in South Africa. A lovely bloke, impossibly upbeat and very, very funny. We did the Cape Point tour and it was a brilliant day.

On another trip, we spent an evening driving round the countryside outside Reykjavik looking for the Northern Lights - saw absolutely co ck-all, but had a great time chatting with our guide about Icelandic life. I'd have been happy just sat in a car parked-up outside the bloke's house. If you can combine a bit of local knowledge, a few laughs and some top tips on good places to eat/drink etc that I might not have thought of, then that's my dream tour. Good luck with it all - sure it will be a great success.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2016 10:29]

You make a good point about teaching, though in my case, I worked in a brilliant school in Bethnal Green and there was no crisis there really, just in me. There`s a bit of a problem with mostly young, talented teachers going to work in private "international" schools abroad, especially in South-East Asia; you may go into teaching with high social ideals, but the opportunity to travel while living in neo-colonial air-conditioned splendor with cleaners and all that jazz is hard to resist. Especially when the alternative is living in some tiny, damp cupboard in a grim part of Zone 6 for £400 a week.

Thanks for the link- it looks fab, and I`ll pass it on to my dad and Cape Townian relatives. I`m suddenly a huge fan of Trip Advisor, as I am getting some great reviews myself, and got my first customers coming from it last week, which made me feel really positive. ( https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d10792366-Reviews-Blooms With more decent reviews, perhaps it will end up bringing in loads of people, at no cost and with no effort from me. I haven`t even noticed ads on there; does anyone know how they make money?

Thanks for your support, Konk: it`s much appreciated. I`m earning an average of about £30 a day a moment, yet somehow feel positive and excited. If you take a quick peek at my Trip Advisor reviews, you`ll see why.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2016 0:25]
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 09:13 - Oct 24 with 1557 viewsKonk

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 00:21 - Oct 24 by Hadders

You make a good point about teaching, though in my case, I worked in a brilliant school in Bethnal Green and there was no crisis there really, just in me. There`s a bit of a problem with mostly young, talented teachers going to work in private "international" schools abroad, especially in South-East Asia; you may go into teaching with high social ideals, but the opportunity to travel while living in neo-colonial air-conditioned splendor with cleaners and all that jazz is hard to resist. Especially when the alternative is living in some tiny, damp cupboard in a grim part of Zone 6 for £400 a week.

Thanks for the link- it looks fab, and I`ll pass it on to my dad and Cape Townian relatives. I`m suddenly a huge fan of Trip Advisor, as I am getting some great reviews myself, and got my first customers coming from it last week, which made me feel really positive. ( https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d10792366-Reviews-Blooms With more decent reviews, perhaps it will end up bringing in loads of people, at no cost and with no effort from me. I haven`t even noticed ads on there; does anyone know how they make money?

Thanks for your support, Konk: it`s much appreciated. I`m earning an average of about £30 a day a moment, yet somehow feel positive and excited. If you take a quick peek at my Trip Advisor reviews, you`ll see why.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2016 0:25]

Just had a look at your reviews and that’s a pretty great start to life as a Tour guide — it must be very gratifying to hear such positive feedback especially as it’s across the board. Yep, Tripadvisor is a useful resource — I quite often use it as a starting point when I’m planning a trip and then have a bit of a dig around on the internet to see what else turns up. I’m sure that with such good reviews and word of mouth recommendations, you’ll do really well; you’re obviously well-suited to it.

On the subject of my crush, Rob in Cape Town — I watched the videos before our trip and thought he seemed a bit of a pilchard, but went with the sheer volume of great reviews, and he really is a very entertaining guide.

PS. I know a couple of teachers working out in Kuwait - said it's an unbelievably dull place to live, but it's their only chance of saving for a deposit for a flat in London.

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 09:20 - Oct 24 with 1552 viewsKonk

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 21:33 - Oct 21 by distortR

A heads up, if you will, Hadders.
Don't let Konk book a guided walk with you.
Both Rob and the Icelandic geyser have had to take out injunctions.
Poor Dan Burn had to move to Wigan, ffs.
Just say no.

In my defence, from about twenty minutes in, Rob was strongly hinting that he saw me as his new best mate, and Gunni in Iceland was clearly coming onto me throughout our trip, despite my wife sitting alongside me in the car. It was embarrassing. I hadn't met Rob at the point, but I wasn't in the market for a new best mate.

With Big Dan Burn, I have no defence (a bit like Fulham at the time) - I just fell head over heels in love with the bloke's potential and streaky, tattoo-free frame, and yes, I may have taken things too far, but my feelings were always pure and given the chance, I would have made him very happy. As I told the police, he moved to Wigan for professional reasons and not because I was camped out in his front garden.

My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... (n/t) on 21:23 - Oct 21 with 592 viewsHadders

Three years later, my Dutch friend from Zwolle is spending tomorrow night in Shepherds Bush with his wife and two sons just so they can join me in the Upper Loft tomorrow evening. Optimistic about our chances of playing well, getting a result and giving them a memorable night, although it's a pity there are still so many empty seats around me. Just revisted this thread out of nostalgia - we were at our most Dutch then, with Hasselbaink and Chery; that seems so long ago now. My friend's wife teaches English and I am not sure how to explain the song about West London being full of "tits, fanny and Rangers". Thought I could make up a story about our founder being a couple called Mr Titmarsh, known affectionately as Tits, and his wife Fanny.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 21:34]
My Dutch Guests from Zwolle... on 00:19 - Oct 22 with 428 viewstimcocking

A nice thread.

Although i'd argue a load of angry men swearing is the quintessential British football experience? And, of course, sh!t food.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024