Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electrician's 11:58 - Oct 21 with 3520 viewsJuzzie

Is anyone out there a sparky or know or a good, reliable one? Not someone who'll suck their teeth and say "it'll cost ya mate"!

An engineer from OVO came to my flat (Chalk Farm, London) this week and placed a new meter.
He told us that the fuse box is very, very old (it is) and left a safety notice although there's nothing wrong with it for the moment. The flats were built in the mid-60's and it's one of those beige/grey metal boxes with ceramic pull-out fuses where you can replace the wire fuse.

He checked a double socket in the kitchen on the wall and he advised me not to use it as is missing an earth cable. From recollection all the sockets are like this. It's the old red/black wiring.

HomeServe sent an electrician who confirmed that the fuse box is very old and needs to be changed sometime and he was not able to touch the socket as it would be possible to explode the whole house. Is this right or a bit over-cautious? (though I do know with electricity you can never be too cautious).

Looking for someone who can change the fuse box and maybe advise on the sockets.

Thanks, as always.

Electrician's on 12:17 - Oct 21 with 3481 viewsBrightonhoop

Sounds like you are more or less into a rewire, which is costly, but ultimately adds to the house value. As well as giving you secure electric. Fuse boxes I think are around the £4-£500 mark, and if the sockets are dodgy the light switches are likely dodgy too.
I dont know anyone in London, but have several on my Brighton Community site, who may be able to recommend someone or may be interested in taking the job on themselves. They're good blokes, been with me a long time, reliable and probably cheaper than London. www.FivewaysOnline.com
Electrician's on 12:18 - Oct 21 with 3479 viewsFredManRave

Sorry, I only know a really, really, shít Sparky.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Electrician's on 12:23 - Oct 21 with 3460 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The safety notice was probably for that nice white stuff you have behind the fuse wire.

Some electricians refuse to touch them, now that's a bit over cautious.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Electrician's on 13:14 - Oct 21 with 3401 viewsJuzzie

Electrician's on 12:17 - Oct 21 by Brightonhoop

Sounds like you are more or less into a rewire, which is costly, but ultimately adds to the house value. As well as giving you secure electric. Fuse boxes I think are around the £4-£500 mark, and if the sockets are dodgy the light switches are likely dodgy too.
I dont know anyone in London, but have several on my Brighton Community site, who may be able to recommend someone or may be interested in taking the job on themselves. They're good blokes, been with me a long time, reliable and probably cheaper than London. www.FivewaysOnline.com

Cheers, I'll look into that.

Re-wire. I was afraid of that. £2000+ while I have a 2 year old in childminders draining what little money I do have lol!
Electrician's on 15:25 - Oct 21 with 3327 viewsBoston

Electrician's on 13:14 - Oct 21 by Juzzie

Re-wire. I was afraid of that. £2000+ while I have a 2 year old in childminders draining what little money I do have lol!

Trellick is an electrician, I'm sure he won't mind a pm. There's a couple of others who read this board regularly but rarely post.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Electrician's on 16:18 - Oct 21 with 3267 viewsLimehouseR

My cousin runs his own plumbing and electrics business based in West London called Mango Contracts but he goes all over London and the South East. I trust him to do anything I need doing...
Obviously I would recommend him!

www.mangocontracts.co.uk
Electrician's on 17:20 - Oct 21 with 3208 viewsBrightonhoop

Electrician's on 13:14 - Oct 21 by Juzzie

It's always the way Juzzie, one of those bulletts you have to bite lol there's never a good time for such things.
Electrician's on 19:40 - Oct 21 with 3128 viewssilky

If the wiring is run inside steel conduit around the house then the conduit acts like an earth as it would of come from the fuse box, which will have the main earth attached to it. With house wiring it will never explode, the worse that could happen is a loud bang at the weakest point of an installation which hopefully is a fuse.

Being a Sparky for 15years I do stress the importance of getting at least the Fuse box upgraded with the latest RCD safety trips. It is the brains of the house after all. If you at least upgrade the fuse box it will place better protection on the rest of the wiring. Then once you have saved enough deff get a rewire done.

I don't live in the UK any more so can't help any further than that but best of luck and any questions just fire away. :D

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Login to get fewer ads

Electrician's on 22:48 - Oct 21 with 3027 viewsBoston

As my mate reminds me...wiring is not a hobby.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024