Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Help required re continuing care for the elderly. 21:50 - Oct 24 with 1409 viewsozexile

I wonder if anyone on here has had any experience on this and can help me please. My mum is in a nursing home with dementia and has been for 5 years. I had to sell the family home to pay for her initial care even though as it turns out she should have been cared for by the NHS. After 3 years and me engaging a lawyer she was awared continuing care. Now after a year and a half of the NHS paying her Care they have assessed her again and are withdrawing it saying she no longer meets the criteria. I have recently read that this is illegal to do. Has anyone got any experience with this or could point me in the right direction. As you can see from my name i emigrated to Oz years ago and am having to deal with this from afar. Thanks in advance.
Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 23:09 - Oct 24 with 1364 viewsPunteR

Must be difficult times mate. Sorry I can't help with any advise but I hope you get things sorted.
Is it the NHS moving the goal posts to meet certain criteria.? Must be extremely upsetting and frustrating for you and your family. All the best with it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 01:27 - Oct 25 with 1310 viewsozexile

Thanks for your kind words. Yes it's the NHS that have moved the goal posts. Supposedly she's not eligible for care cause she has regressed so badly. If anyone other than a pen pusher at the NHS can make sense of that I'd be grateful.
Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 07:16 - Oct 25 with 1261 viewsMichael_Hunt

You have PM.
Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 08:37 - Oct 25 with 1219 viewshopphoops

No advice to give, just good luck and hang in there!

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 09:20 - Oct 25 with 1189 viewspaulparker

Utter disgrace the way they have treated your old mum oz
makes you wonder why the fcuk you pay national insurance

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 10:07 - Oct 25 with 1159 viewsozexile

Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 09:20 - Oct 25 by paulparker

Utter disgrace the way they have treated your old mum oz
makes you wonder why the fcuk you pay national insurance

Thanks Paul Parker it is an utter disgrace. I've gone past anger now. My Mum and Dad were beautiful people who contributed to the local community and would help anyone. Now in her old age she's just treated disgracefully by a system that promised to support her.
A word to the wise for anyone reading this thread with elderly folks. Get their affairs in order immediately. You never know how life will turn out.
Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 10:08 - Oct 25 with 1159 viewscollegeranger

I would write to her MP where she is in care - and probably to the local constituency offices of the other major parties. Explaining the situation and requesting help fighting this. However, from personal experience the problem will be that unless there is no money left they will request that her money is used for her care down to £16K and will argue that due to her condition she wont need the money for anything else. They will deflect back to you and portray you as the money grabber - not them! Conveniently forgetting that she work, cared and saved all her life to leave a legacy for her family not for propping up a mis-managed social care infrastructure!
Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 11:02 - Oct 25 with 1127 viewsCFW

Hi Oz,

Not in any way trying to be a smart arse but I think your Mum is in a care home not a nursing home. I only say this because I have experience of these things with my in-laws. A nursing home is where people are placed if they are end of life (usually assessed with less than 3 months to live) - these places usually cost slightly more than care homes due to nurses and doctors being available. My mother in law was in one for three week before she passed away - this was fully funded by the NHS and is not means tested in anyway.

My father in law, like your Mum has dementia and is in a care home costing just over £1,200 per week. Like you my wife had to sell their family home to fund this cost. So far we have spent just over £90,000 in care home fees. My father in law had a senior position when he worked and gets a good pension along with a war pension (he lost part of his hand) so that helps. You might already know this but your Mum would be able to claim attendance allowance and having dementia she would qualify for the higher amount - my father in law gets this along with his state pension as he self funds. So make sure she claims this money - again this is not means tested.

This whole situation with our old folk is nothing more than an absolute disgrace. Good hardworking people like your parents and my in laws work all their lives, pay taxes, save and look after their money and then have to sell everything to be looked after when they need some help. Lets not forget depending on their ages they fought a war to save our country. Yet we hand over money to others who have contributed jack.

The way around this is to make sure your house is signed over to your children (making sure you have seven years left) so if and when you need to go into a care home you have no money. At this point you will be placed in a council backed care home and trust me you would not want that to happen - so the council (depending on your local authority) will fund you so much per week if you want to be in a better and more expensive care home. Your family can then make up the difference in cost. But it is still cheaper than getting nothing at all!!!

Good luck to you and your Mum - you have my sympathy.
Login to get fewer ads

Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 11:12 - Oct 25 with 1115 viewsozexile

Thanks CFW and hopphoops. Yes she receives attendance allowance and a pension. This covers roughly a quarter of the monthly fee. We've already spent £200,000 and if we lose the case the rest will soon follow.
Help required re continuing care for the elderly. on 11:46 - Oct 25 with 1088 viewsisawqpratwcity

Jeez, mate, all the best with it.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024