Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3rd Runway 11:42 - Oct 25 with 8889 viewsSuffolkHoop

Does this involve demolishing the site of our current training ground?
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 12:54]
3rd Runway on 14:01 - Oct 25 with 1989 viewsMytch_QPR

3rd Runway on 13:58 - Oct 25 by connell10

Totally agree with the posts on here, but the thing that really gets me is the human cost to local communities, it's heartbreaking for me and really shouldn't happen!!

Look on the bright side, mate - there's going to be so much objection to it and the Tories will have an internal tear-up, so it may not happen - with a bit of luck.

It's a funny thing, politics. I never thought I could sympathise with Zac Goldsmith!

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

3rd Runway on 14:17 - Oct 25 with 1961 viewsDWQPR

3rd Runway on 13:31 - Oct 25 by theQPRking

That stretch of the m25 is a write off most of the time, can you imagine when they need to close it to build a tunnel??

Luton is having loads of building work done at the moment but what it needs is a second terminal, and a train link directly into the airport, not 10 mins down the road. Stansted could easily accommodate a second terminal also.

Flew out of Luton on Sunday morning, early and it was rammed, very slow getting to the drop off point and the terminal, although it is being expanded was a nightmare. Typical of UK business it is still putting the money making opportunities first, loads of work in the departure lounge but only one restaurant open, if you can call Benny and Jerry's a restaurant, yet the new mega sized duty free was up and running. Might be a long time before a fly from Luton in the future, Birmingham is far superior, if an additional 40 minute journey.

With regards to the Heathrow expansion, cannot understand why Gatwick wasn't chosen, a hell of a lot less costs, less upheaval both in terms of knocking down homes and having to re-jig existing infrastructure and with the fact that Crossrail 2 has now been given the go ahead why not extend it another 20 miles down to Gatwick and whilst they are at it, build another high speed rail link by tunnel to Heathrow from Gatwick, surely such a journey, without the need for additional stations would be around 20 minutes? I always get the feeling with this country that decisions like today have been made to keep civil servants employed and make lawyers richer.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

3rd Runway on 14:21 - Oct 25 with 1952 viewsNorthernr

3rd Runway on 14:17 - Oct 25 by DWQPR

Flew out of Luton on Sunday morning, early and it was rammed, very slow getting to the drop off point and the terminal, although it is being expanded was a nightmare. Typical of UK business it is still putting the money making opportunities first, loads of work in the departure lounge but only one restaurant open, if you can call Benny and Jerry's a restaurant, yet the new mega sized duty free was up and running. Might be a long time before a fly from Luton in the future, Birmingham is far superior, if an additional 40 minute journey.

With regards to the Heathrow expansion, cannot understand why Gatwick wasn't chosen, a hell of a lot less costs, less upheaval both in terms of knocking down homes and having to re-jig existing infrastructure and with the fact that Crossrail 2 has now been given the go ahead why not extend it another 20 miles down to Gatwick and whilst they are at it, build another high speed rail link by tunnel to Heathrow from Gatwick, surely such a journey, without the need for additional stations would be around 20 minutes? I always get the feeling with this country that decisions like today have been made to keep civil servants employed and make lawyers richer.

Well they're made (or not made in this case) with both eyes firmly fixed on the next election in a few years time, nothing beyond that. We don't do big projects and long term thinking - it's why nobody tackles the air pollution problem. I'm amazed crossrail ever got going.
3rd Runway on 14:28 - Oct 25 with 1946 viewsderbyhoop

The main reason for choosing Heathrow over the other options was that Boris said he'd lie down in front of the bulldozers.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

3rd Runway on 17:38 - Oct 25 with 1842 viewsSuffolkHoop

Boris Island isn't actually a terrible idea.
3rd Runway on 17:48 - Oct 25 with 1835 viewsMedwayR

3rd Runway on 17:38 - Oct 25 by SuffolkHoop

Boris Island wouldn't be a bad idea if it didn't cost an obscene amount of money & wasn't planned to be built on a nature reserve.

I admit to not knowing much about the bids from Heathrow & Gatwick but I've always had the impression that Heathrow would be a bad choice & that Gatwick should've been chosen.

I've often wondered why Luton couldn't be expanded (and rebuilt?) with HS2 running via the airport. The location is more central to England, the town could certainly do with the investment and I believe that there's the room to accommodate it there.

Another option could perhaps have been Manston airport near Ramsgate and extending HS1 into a loop to connect it into London but that was never on the table and the opportunity has now gone.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 17:50]

Poll: Who’s better?

3rd Runway on 18:15 - Oct 25 with 1806 viewsheadhoops

it should be a straight fight between Heathrow and Gatwick. That said all the business people and tourists flying INTO the country would want to land as close to London centre as possible. Not do a Ryanair and land an hour outside the centre. That said the impact and the cost of choosing Heathrow is way too much compared to Gatwick. Save the billions and build a rail link that gets from Gatwick to West End - Canary Wharf in 20-30 minutes.

As for Boris Johnson the sooner that fool goes under the wheels of any form of transport the better, hopefully when he does he will be holding sandro's hand.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

3rd Runway on 18:22 - Oct 25 with 1798 viewssuperstan

Will give us more flight options when we get in the Champions league
Login to get fewer ads

3rd Runway on 19:20 - Oct 25 with 1773 viewsNorthernr

Don't always agree with Simon Jenkins but he's right in the Standard tonight - it's a farce that Heathrow and Stansted were owned by the same company and that company decided to start building up Stansted (which is way below capacity) because Heathrow was an environmental disaster. Gordon Brown's government said it was unfair for one company to own both, so Stansted went to Manchester Airport and still sits 40% under capacity while the Heathrow owner pursues the plan they originally knew themselves was a bad idea.
3rd Runway on 19:34 - Oct 25 with 1752 viewsMrSheen

3rd Runway on 17:38 - Oct 25 by SuffolkHoop

I read somewhere that there's a sunken ammunition ship on the bottom of the estuary somewhere near the site of Boris Island, waiting to go kaboom!

Fair play to my MP for standing down and giving us a chance to make a futile gesture of defiance. Don't hold your breath for Justine Greening to jeopardise what remains of her ministerial career and do the same.
3rd Runway on 19:37 - Oct 25 with 1745 viewsRoller

There is an incredibly long way to go on this. We are nowhere near the local dog walkers objecting and someone wanting a public footpath slap bang through the middle of it yet.
3rd Runway on 19:37 - Oct 25 with 1745 viewskropotkin41

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/heathrow-third-runway-decision-climate-

Commitments and international agreements mean nothing to the Government..... ruled by psychopaths who have not the slightest f*cking idea about science........ or indeed very much at all except their grip on power and their personal pocketbooks.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

3rd Runway on 20:17 - Oct 25 with 1709 viewsFearless

3rd Runway on 19:34 - Oct 25 by MrSheen

I read somewhere that there's a sunken ammunition ship on the bottom of the estuary somewhere near the site of Boris Island, waiting to go kaboom!

Fair play to my MP for standing down and giving us a chance to make a futile gesture of defiance. Don't hold your breath for Justine Greening to jeopardise what remains of her ministerial career and do the same.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery
3rd Runway on 20:38 - Oct 25 with 1690 viewsderbyhoop

The South East is supposedly short of airport capacity and, after numerous studies, it has been decided that, despite all the environmental issues, Heathrow is the best choice. I have great difficulty with that decision. I know international travellers want to come to Heathrow, but ther are other options that are nearly as accessible from London, Gatwick and Luton being the 2 most obvious. As a UK hub Heathrow is a waste of space. Not enough of the regional airports connect to it.

But using the regional airports better would be a good start. Stansted, Birmingham and Manchester have the infrastructure to expand. I heard a manager at a Freight company bemoaning the lack of capacity at Heathrow for his business and having to truck freight to European airports. Why not try using Birmingham or East Midlands, both of which are no more than 2 hours away?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

3rd Runway on 20:47 - Oct 25 with 1677 viewsHollowayRanger

Should do both Heathrow and Gatwick Uk population is going up and up get them built

also now we are out of Europe we need better world wide connections for travel an work

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

3rd Runway on 20:56 - Oct 25 with 1485 viewsBrightonhoop

3rd Runway on 20:47 - Oct 25 by HollowayRanger

Should do both Heathrow and Gatwick Uk population is going up and up get them built

also now we are out of Europe we need better world wide connections for travel an work

And not to mention opening up the international lesbian Market to Londons librarian lothario....
3rd Runway on 21:39 - Oct 25 with 1463 viewsconnell10

So mate that's total bollox!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

3rd Runway on 22:20 - Oct 25 with 1416 viewszicoshoops

Message to the Spanish Company that owns Heathrow Airport.......

I speet on your 3rd runway Gringos
3rd Runway on 23:17 - Oct 25 with 1371 viewskensalriser

We'll need fewer as loads of companies are gearing up to leave and the economy will go down the toilet.

In a few years time Heathrow will be used to grow vegetables.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

3rd Runway on 04:12 - Oct 26 with 1321 viewsJAPRANGERS

3rd Runway on 20:56 - Oct 25 by Brightonhoop

And not to mention opening up the international lesbian Market to Londons librarian lothario....

3rd Runway on 05:24 - Oct 26 with 1315 viewsLadbrokeR

I didn't know this but the process has taken 13 years. There was also something called the Davis commission and the cost for this total process has been in excess of 20 million. The end product is no great surprise but there is now a number of furious Tory mps one of whom has resigned. As one poster has said I don't think that this is over.
3rd Runway on 07:01 - Oct 26 with 1289 viewsstevec

3rd Runway on 19:34 - Oct 25 by MrSheen

Unfortunately, that cretin is converting every road to 20 mph zones. By time this is built, if they'd given it to Gatwick, it'd take all day to move freight to the capital.
3rd Runway on 07:47 - Oct 26 with 1271 viewsloftboy

3rd Runway on 13:30 - Oct 25 by QPR_Jim

"Same for HS2 to me, makes no sense at all with technology for video conferencing."

But we already have video conferencing and more people with flexible working locations etc and yet we still have capacity issues on the rail. Personally I like video conferencing but in my company particularly there seems to be a lack of desire for it, as a result I'm driving from Kent to Oxford tomorrow rather than video conferencing.

I think for a country of our size rail should be the primary form of transport for longer distances, we're not big enough to justify lots of internal flights like America and it's a shame longer distance train services are both slow and often crowded. Recently I went to Edinburgh and me and my gf flew from Gatwick while our friends wh were joining us took the train the following day. They couldn't get a seat on their train and it took nearly 5 hrs. My preference for the journey was plane, car then train despite the fact that a train should be ideally placed for a journey of that length. Car would have taken 2hrs more but would have been more comfortable and the plane was quicker even with boarding and check in etc. Anyway my point is that the better infrastructure project you talk of should probably be rail related even if not HS2.

Trouble with railways is cost, to get a return up north can cost best part of £100 even with a railcard yet I can fly return to Eastern Europe and back for less than £40, bizarre.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

3rd Runway on 08:42 - Oct 26 with 1245 viewskingsburyR

I'm all for the Heathrow expansion. The M25 isnt busy enough in that area!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

3rd Runway on 09:54 - Oct 26 with 1210 viewsLadbrokeR

3rd Runway on 13:58 - Oct 25 by connell10

Totally agree with the posts on here, but the thing that really gets me is the human cost to local communities, it's heartbreaking for me and really shouldn't happen!!

Connell that proably started with Thatcher and the mines and the almost complete abolition of our primary and secondary industries. It's going on now where increased house prices and a lack of affordable social housing are forcing people to move out of their commnities and vulnerable members of society are being rehoused by local authorities in places like Peterbrough etc. Somebody will come on here and now doubt explain how Heathrow expansion is vital for economic growth and perhaps it is but i am afraid the human cost is obviously considered to be a cost worth paying. It's not the first time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024