Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More than just a match — Column 19:07 - Oct 25 with 1592 viewsNorthernr

Thanks to Nick Reinis for this piece penned around the Reading match.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/44156
More than just a match — Column on 22:10 - Oct 25 with 1459 viewsPunteR

Thanks Nick. Nice read as I drive back from Birmingham. (missus driving)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

More than just a match — Column on 22:59 - Oct 25 with 1411 viewsHadders

Lovely article, Nick. You`re right,of course, that football is about so much more than football. I am going to the Brentford game with my oldest friend; we lost touch for a couple of decades, but when we met again, discovered that we still had QPR in common, and it feels so strange and wonderful to be going with him again sometimes. I also consider the charming guy I sit next to in the Upper Loft to be a genuine friend, even though we have only met at football - after all, the time spent sitting next to someone every game for a few seasons, sharing those intense (occasional) highs and regular lows, adds up.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 23:00]
More than just a match — Column on 13:53 - Oct 26 with 1197 viewsTheChef

I think for the vast majority of football of fans the social aspect before / after the match is most important.

Unless you're one of the Big 4 or your team is having a very rare successful season, the 90 minutes in between often tend to get in the way.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

More than just a match — Column on 14:13 - Oct 26 with 1181 viewsW7Ranger

Nice piece that Nick. And yes it's absolutely more than just the game itself for most I expect.

For this game in particular, my Dad came up from Devon to come with me and my twin boys. It's the first time all 3 generations have gone to a game together. So a special day for us as a family. Met up with some friends at the Flock and Shepherd before hand. Then went for a drink in the Conningham afterwards. The game didn't set the world alight, but it was more about the experience of the whole day than the match itself.

I hope it's not too long before we can it again.

I have some friends who go to most away games. I try and go when I can afford it. But again, it's about the whole day out with your mates. Early start, lots of catching up which turns in to banter as the drinks flow. Sometimes the game is a bit of a sideshow/distraction!!

Also as was mentioned in that article - and I'm sure it's the same for everyone - going up the steps and seeing the pitch as you reach the top, still gives me the same buzz as when I first went with my Dad 35 years ago!!
More than just a match — Column on 15:55 - Oct 26 with 1139 viewsPinnerPaul

Lovely article.

I still pause a few minutes before kick of to remember my Dad and Grandad - both local born and bred and both huge fans in a quiet understated way.

They simply wouldn't understand the "Sack the manager because I'm not being entertained enough" mentality - let alone arguing the point with complete strangers on the internet!

As the article says being a fan is about so much more than the 90' - different things for different people but special to so many of us.
More than just a match — Column on 06:06 - Oct 27 with 981 viewsKetteringRangers

Nice one Nick, really enjoyed reading that.
Cheers
Ben
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024