Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your favourite year for football 09:42 - Oct 26 with 4000 viewspaulparker

Following on from the Brentford thread and the debate about walk up prices and the bygone years of cheap travel and standing
if you could go back to only one year or season of football , what would it be and why ?

Mine would be the 89/90 season
we had the great Influence kit
pre season was a weird one we sold Gray & Allen but got in Paul Wright for a short spell , we had a struggle at the beginning but beat Liverpool in that brilliant 3-2 game , Gentleman Don took over and we then had a midfield of Wilkins & Reid
we had the emergence of Sinton, the raw potential of les , we bought Wegerle for a million , we had Macca, Maddix, sansom , Paul Parker, Seamen in goal , falco, and Barker playing out of there skins
you could stand for a fiver
we also had a cup run , beating Arsenal along the way in one of the best nights ever at HQ
we also beat spurs and arsenal in the league as well , playing them off the park
we thrashed Chelsea 4-2
the fa cup had 2 brilliant semi finals and a great final
I went to my first England game against Uruguay (only to see Parker make his debut)
and to top it all off we had the italia 90 world cup , a great time to be alive

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Your favourite year for football on 09:50 - Oct 26 with 3363 viewsloftboy

89/90 for me as well, went everywhere game home and away including 9 FA cup ties and a Monday night away game at Stockport, also went to a few of the England World Cup qualifiers and it was also the first season the international break was introduced and used the spare Saturdays to go to lower division grounds that I hadn't visited before.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 9:52]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Your favourite year for football on 10:53 - Oct 26 with 3315 viewshoof_hearted

The calendar year 1976 has no competition for anyone old enough to have been there.

The best football ever seen in this country. The chase for the title. The European nights on the terrace under the floodlights of a packed Loftus Road. Jumpers for goalposts...
Your favourite year for football on 10:57 - Oct 26 with 3308 viewsstevec

Your favourite year for football on 10:53 - Oct 26 by hoof_hearted

The calendar year 1976 has no competition for anyone old enough to have been there.

The best football ever seen in this country. The chase for the title. The European nights on the terrace under the floodlights of a packed Loftus Road. Jumpers for goalposts...

Yep, it's the obvious answer for us oldies but was indeed a glorious time to be alive.
Your favourite year for football on 11:05 - Oct 26 with 3293 viewsLongsufferingR

I have a feeling 2019 will be my favourite year. Having been promoted as champions by gaining our first win at Forest on the final day, we start to take the Prem by storm, with our coveted manager (by now known on here as 3DH) guiding a solid, grounded group of players who have grown up together over the previous three years. Wins at the Etihad and Emirates are achieved with goals from the new Germany captain BFG and England's World Cup winning hero from 2018, Steven Caulker.

Our state of the art training ground (together with modern dog-walking path) is opened by Sir (properly a Sir) Les and planning permission is granted for the Stan Bowles Bowl at Old Oak Common.

These drugs are great.
Your favourite year for football on 11:34 - Oct 26 with 3265 viewsPeterHucker

82/83 was the first season I started going regularly. What a season that was.
After the Cup final the previous year you could just tell that we had a team that were going up. Great young homegrown players (Hucker, Neill, Allen, Fereday, Micklewhite, Waddock) with a few more experienced players around them (Fenwick, Fillery, Gregory, Flanagan who was great that season). Then you had Stainrod who was always entertaining and so skilful and the cool-headed Glenn Roeder. Have we had a defender as comfortable on the ball since?
We lost one of our first home matches of the season to Sheff Weds but then we were unbeaten at Loftus Road for the rest of the season. My memory's not great (I was just 12 at the time) but I seem to remember a whole load of 3-0s and 4-0s. We put 5 past Charlton and 6 past Middlesboro.
We were so good that I think promotion was confirmed with about 5 games to spare.

Honorary mentions to Don Howe / Gerry Francis' teams of the late 80s / early 90s, Holloway's team that got to the playoffs 2003 then promoted in 2004 (the most heart of any QPR team I've ever seen) and Warnock's promotion squad.
Your favourite year for football on 11:37 - Oct 26 with 3260 viewsAntti_Heinola

Very close call. autumn of 93/94 when we had an amazing run of wins culminating in beating Blackburn I genuinely thought we could win the league. That was special. But we didn't.

The most intense was probably 02/03 - never been a season like it, never will be again. To go from the absolute depths, the pits, of Vauxhall Motors and that absolute caning Cardiff gave us to that absurd run of games to the play off final, including the Oldham game (still the best atmosphere I've ever heard at a ground, anywhere) was amazing. The transformation of that team - and in particular Paul Furlong, was remarkable. I remember pretty much living week to week between games then, it was all i could think about. Birch's goal at Brentford was like an injection of pure adrenalin. What a season. That noise against Oldham was like a cathartic howling of released pressure - seven years of utter, utter crap finally exploded (and if people think what we're seeing now is dull or rubbish they should see what we were like at the turn of the century - abominable). For me that season was more memorable than the following one when we actually did go up, fantastic as it was.

But for me, it's probably 2010/11, the Championship season. Even losing 4-1 at Scunthorpe was good. Lovely day out. And watching Adel destroy teams was just brilliant. So many memories of goals and moments - Adel's goal at home to Cardiff still gives me goosebumps, as does that last minute winner by Ishmael Miller v Leicester in a game in which by the 60th minute I'd have bitten your hand off if you'd offered me a point. And also it was that everyone stepped up. Usually Adel, but if not him then Heidar, if not him then Routledge, if not him then Mackie, if not him then Smith and on and on. I remember one game, I think against Ipswich, where we were banging on the door for a win and could not get the thing over the line, then Clint popped up to score one and set up another in the last 10 mins or so and we'd done it again. Someone always arrived with something when we really needed it. And watching Adel that year was, I don't care what anyone says about him or thinks about him, like watching an artist. That pass v Cov is still one of the greatest things I have ever seen. That nutmeg and goal v Swansea. He was just awesome.

Bare bones.

Your favourite year for football on 11:48 - Oct 26 with 3244 viewspaulparker

Your favourite year for football on 11:37 - Oct 26 by Antti_Heinola

Very close call. autumn of 93/94 when we had an amazing run of wins culminating in beating Blackburn I genuinely thought we could win the league. That was special. But we didn't.

The most intense was probably 02/03 - never been a season like it, never will be again. To go from the absolute depths, the pits, of Vauxhall Motors and that absolute caning Cardiff gave us to that absurd run of games to the play off final, including the Oldham game (still the best atmosphere I've ever heard at a ground, anywhere) was amazing. The transformation of that team - and in particular Paul Furlong, was remarkable. I remember pretty much living week to week between games then, it was all i could think about. Birch's goal at Brentford was like an injection of pure adrenalin. What a season. That noise against Oldham was like a cathartic howling of released pressure - seven years of utter, utter crap finally exploded (and if people think what we're seeing now is dull or rubbish they should see what we were like at the turn of the century - abominable). For me that season was more memorable than the following one when we actually did go up, fantastic as it was.

But for me, it's probably 2010/11, the Championship season. Even losing 4-1 at Scunthorpe was good. Lovely day out. And watching Adel destroy teams was just brilliant. So many memories of goals and moments - Adel's goal at home to Cardiff still gives me goosebumps, as does that last minute winner by Ishmael Miller v Leicester in a game in which by the 60th minute I'd have bitten your hand off if you'd offered me a point. And also it was that everyone stepped up. Usually Adel, but if not him then Heidar, if not him then Routledge, if not him then Mackie, if not him then Smith and on and on. I remember one game, I think against Ipswich, where we were banging on the door for a win and could not get the thing over the line, then Clint popped up to score one and set up another in the last 10 mins or so and we'd done it again. Someone always arrived with something when we really needed it. And watching Adel that year was, I don't care what anyone says about him or thinks about him, like watching an artist. That pass v Cov is still one of the greatest things I have ever seen. That nutmeg and goal v Swansea. He was just awesome.

Good post Antti , I agreed word for word every thing you said there

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Your favourite year for football on 12:13 - Oct 26 with 3209 viewsAntti_Heinola

Your favourite year for football on 11:48 - Oct 26 by paulparker

Good post Antti , I agreed word for word every thing you said there

cheers mate - great thread!

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Your favourite year for football on 12:22 - Oct 26 with 3188 viewshopphoops

Your favourite year for football on 11:05 - Oct 26 by LongsufferingR

I have a feeling 2019 will be my favourite year. Having been promoted as champions by gaining our first win at Forest on the final day, we start to take the Prem by storm, with our coveted manager (by now known on here as 3DH) guiding a solid, grounded group of players who have grown up together over the previous three years. Wins at the Etihad and Emirates are achieved with goals from the new Germany captain BFG and England's World Cup winning hero from 2018, Steven Caulker.

Our state of the art training ground (together with modern dog-walking path) is opened by Sir (properly a Sir) Les and planning permission is granted for the Stan Bowles Bowl at Old Oak Common.

These drugs are great.

...and kids from Albania to Zambia will be showing off their Henry Turns...

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Your favourite year for football on 12:33 - Oct 26 with 3172 viewsLblock

Antti you had me wavering there and memories that brought back goosebumps.
That Oldham semi-final game was like the best hit of MDMA and I remember my mate ringing me up at the end and me only being able to croak out the words "we done it" before having a little tear.

However, we've done this one before and I remain steadfast, 1990 was truly God's year and simply a great time to be alive.
We were in our pomp and playing some lovely stuff, it was hot that summer and Italia 90 is and was the tournament to end all tournaments (I'll never forgive myself for not going out there). The music, the clothes, the fact I still had hair. Jesus it was great.

I'd go back there in a heartbeat

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Your favourite year for football on 12:54 - Oct 26 with 3129 viewsflitwickhoop

Rarely post on this site guys but this is a great post.

My old man took me to my first game in March 97, we had Palace at home (I still remember walking out into ER and thinking it was the biggest ground it the world). If I recall correctly they had Carlo Nash in goal and he played an absolute blinder. From that minute I was hooked, the old man had got what he wanted!

But anyway, I digress.

For me it has to be the 02/03 season. I had just started my A Levels so had loads of free time during the week, just started boozing etc. I can remember everything that season so clearly, Carlisle back from his injury, Bircham coming out with blue hair on his debut, the ref away at Wycombe.

But the second half of that season was incredible (pushed very close by the Warnock champions season). We couldn't stop winning. I can remember me and the old man driving up to Chesterfield on a Sunday in the rain and we won 4-2. We even won at Colchester that season (albeit on the last day). But that Brentford game, wow. I can still see the ball hitting the metal stanchion in the top corner and for a split second the crowd taking a deep breath before complete pandemonium. My eyes nearly popped out of my head that day, the most mental I have ever gone. I remember the bloke standing in front of us, lost his motorcycle helmet after that goal! The Oldham game, where do you even start. The noise, my word the noise! I still remember being in the ground about 90 minutes after the final whistle, it was our year I was sure of it but we failed at the last hurdle.

Just thinking about all the great times following this club has got me sitting at my desk smiling! Cannot wait for Friday now!

what a club, what people - come on you R's!
Your favourite year for football on 13:06 - Oct 26 with 3101 viewsLongsufferingR

Your favourite year for football on 12:22 - Oct 26 by hopphoops

...and kids from Albania to Zambia will be showing off their Henry Turns...

Don't be silly. What do you think this is, some kind of fantasy?
Your favourite year for football on 13:44 - Oct 26 with 3043 views18StoneOfHoop

82/83, 17/18 years old and my best season for supporting the 'Hoops
I went to 36 out of the 42 league games.
Rangers won 10 away games off the plastic.

The season started with a sunny hot 28th August day 1982. Freshly installed Player/Manager/Messiah Kevin Keegan arriving by helicopter and scoring on his debut in the second half and the roaring Geordies lifted the roof going absolutely effing mental..never heard owt like it.

Leeds United away December 4th Leeds terraces were shut down - the attendance was a mere 11,528 - because of hooliganism so R's fans were stuck high up in the God's seats and I think Jim Gregory had paid for the coaches too.Rangers won 1-0 thanks to superbly Venables organised defence,Fenwick leading them all out in a line a la Arsenal - R's fans singing "off-side/off-side...off-side/off-side"

And here as a bonus,just in case our brilliant neighbour the excellent Konk should stick his big beak in and stray this way, is the extraordinary promotion and relegation deciding match of the same season; Derby County v Fulham last game of the campaign. The stakes are high...very high and Malcolm McDonald was destined not to go bed and sleep happy that night.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 14:04]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Your favourite year for football on 15:09 - Oct 26 with 2951 viewskensalriser

Bullseye Antti, you could have written that for me!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Your favourite year for football on 18:42 - Oct 26 with 2889 viewsBoston

73/74. Three games v Chelsea, no defeats, a few great away wins, Man Utd relegated, we knew we had a very good squad and might be on the verge of something(because the older blokes told us so), loved that season.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 18:43]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your favourite year for football on 19:11 - Oct 26 with 2864 viewsESSEXURs

Your favourite year for football on 18:42 - Oct 26 by Boston

73/74. Three games v Chelsea, no defeats, a few great away wins, Man Utd relegated, we knew we had a very good squad and might be on the verge of something(because the older blokes told us so), loved that season.

1966/7 when it all started after being in the wilderness for many seasons.
A magical season.
Your favourite year for football on 19:17 - Oct 26 with 2855 viewsterryb

Your favourite year for football on 18:42 - Oct 26 by Boston

I'm with you on this one Boston, despite the superb post from antti!

Ther Jago years were by far the most enjoyable to watch. The football was superb & entertaining, but just as importantly (for me at any rate), it was the performance that mattered rather than the result!

And boy, were they good!

The two West Ham games, winning 4-2 at Wolves, getting revenge at Derby, beating C*****a in the FA Cup, thrashing Manure, the draw at Leeds (perfectly good winner disallowed), beating Tottenham in the League Cup & many many more.

Frank Mclintock was the only player we added to our promotion side from the previous season.

Parkes, Clement, Gillard, Venables, Mclintock, Mancini, Thomas, Francis, Leach, Bowles, Givens - what a team! We only used 18 players all season.

75-76 is the obvious answer, but that season the result was all that mattered. Matches were to be endured rather than enjoyed. At least until we went two goals ahead!
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 19:46]
Your favourite year for football on 19:30 - Oct 26 with 2841 viewsPlanetHonneywood

How anyone can single out just one year/season from the plethora of great years we've enjoyed, is beyond me. There's just far too many to chose from and I've counted at least 83 (eighty three) viable candidates for, the Best Season EveR!

I suspect the OP would have been better off reducing the angst and asking us to name the best decade. Even then, that would be a tough call.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Your favourite year for football on 19:56 - Oct 26 with 2813 viewsPunteR

2010/11 season. I can barely remember any other. I'm amazed at how much detail people do remember. I can just about remember what games I've been to this season let alone 20 years ago.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Your favourite year for football on 01:24 - Oct 27 with 2717 viewsBoston

Your favourite year for football on 19:56 - Oct 26 by PunteR

2010/11 season. I can barely remember any other. I'm amazed at how much detail people do remember. I can just about remember what games I've been to this season let alone 20 years ago.

er....alcohol hadn't really entered the match day experience.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your favourite year for football on 02:42 - Oct 27 with 2704 viewsSydneyRs

Probably 82/83 for me. First season I went regularly and we had a great side that dominated the division to win the league by 10 points and promotion. Went to most home games wondering how many we would win by rather than whether we would win.

The following season was pretty good too, finishing 5th in the league. Then El Tel moved on and that muppet Mullery undid all his good work!

You had to mention Italia 90. Had some epic nights watching those games and that semi final defeat, with revenge against a very average Argentina awaiting in the final, still hurts to this day.
Your favourite year for football on 07:30 - Oct 27 with 2649 viewsCamberleyR

Your favourite year for football on 11:34 - Oct 26 by PeterHucker

82/83 was the first season I started going regularly. What a season that was.
After the Cup final the previous year you could just tell that we had a team that were going up. Great young homegrown players (Hucker, Neill, Allen, Fereday, Micklewhite, Waddock) with a few more experienced players around them (Fenwick, Fillery, Gregory, Flanagan who was great that season). Then you had Stainrod who was always entertaining and so skilful and the cool-headed Glenn Roeder. Have we had a defender as comfortable on the ball since?
We lost one of our first home matches of the season to Sheff Weds but then we were unbeaten at Loftus Road for the rest of the season. My memory's not great (I was just 12 at the time) but I seem to remember a whole load of 3-0s and 4-0s. We put 5 past Charlton and 6 past Middlesboro.
We were so good that I think promotion was confirmed with about 5 games to spare.

Honorary mentions to Don Howe / Gerry Francis' teams of the late 80s / early 90s, Holloway's team that got to the playoffs 2003 then promoted in 2004 (the most heart of any QPR team I've ever seen) and Warnock's promotion squad.

We also lost to the filth at home on Boxing Day. They finished fifth bottom that season and ultimately it was that loss to them that kept them up. That has always rankled a lot with me despite us winning the division by 10 points. The following season, the cnts were champions. I truly believe if they had got relegated to the third division that season they would have been in the wilderness for years.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2016 7:42]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Your favourite year for football on 09:14 - Oct 27 with 2609 viewsBrianMcCarthy

89/90 was a superb season PP. I was 19 throughout that season and our little traveling gang went to every game. Can't add anything to your superb summation of it. Brought the memories flooding back.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Your favourite year for football on 12:15 - Oct 27 with 2548 viewsAntti_Heinola

Your favourite year for football on 02:42 - Oct 27 by SydneyRs

Probably 82/83 for me. First season I went regularly and we had a great side that dominated the division to win the league by 10 points and promotion. Went to most home games wondering how many we would win by rather than whether we would win.

The following season was pretty good too, finishing 5th in the league. Then El Tel moved on and that muppet Mullery undid all his good work!

You had to mention Italia 90. Had some epic nights watching those games and that semi final defeat, with revenge against a very average Argentina awaiting in the final, still hurts to this day.

Funny how we mention Italia 90. At the time it was seen as a very negative world cup, nowhere near as good as 86. England's first 4 games were awful, Platt's winner aside. The final was dreadful. Basically it's a tournament that hinges almost completely on a bit of fun for the Irish, two incredible England games and Baggio's goal.

And Caniggia..... scores!

And that blonde Brazilian fan.

Mexico 86 all the way for me.

Bare bones.

Your favourite year for football on 12:37 - Oct 27 with 2529 viewsCamberleyR

Your favourite year for football on 12:15 - Oct 27 by Antti_Heinola

Funny how we mention Italia 90. At the time it was seen as a very negative world cup, nowhere near as good as 86. England's first 4 games were awful, Platt's winner aside. The final was dreadful. Basically it's a tournament that hinges almost completely on a bit of fun for the Irish, two incredible England games and Baggio's goal.

And Caniggia..... scores!

And that blonde Brazilian fan.

Mexico 86 all the way for me.

Yes, Italia 90 does seem to have become romanticised over the last 25 years. As you say a very negative World Cup.

The facts are that in the modern era ('66 onwards). it has the lowest goals per game of any tournament. Even fewer than 2010 which was considered one of the worst WC tournaments ever. Of the four World Cups where there were 24 teams and 52 games (82-94) the stats were:
1982: 146 goals
1986: 132
1990: 115 (just 2.21 goals per game, the average since 1966 is 2.6)
1994: 141

IIRC it was the excessive passing back to the goalkeepers in that WC that brought in the backpass rule.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024