Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Film Recommendation 23:42 - Dec 1 with 3934 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Nebraska. Finally watched it last night. Glacier-slow but enjoyable and memorable. Dark but funny. Worth the time needed.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Film Recommendation on 00:01 - Dec 2 with 3049 viewsPunteR

Cheers Bri, one of those films ive pencilled in to watch at some point in the future but has now gone up the list.

Changing the subject a little bit, but i went and saw Arrival at the Showcase cinema.
Forget about the film,it was rubbish, but the cinema ?!... wow.
Honestly the best cinema experience. Forget 3D OR IMAX . We're talking reclining sofas, a glass of wine or beer and no looking at backs of peoples heads.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Film Recommendation on 00:16 - Dec 2 with 3038 viewsitsbiga

Film Recommendation on 00:01 - Dec 2 by PunteR

Cheers Bri, one of those films ive pencilled in to watch at some point in the future but has now gone up the list.

Changing the subject a little bit, but i went and saw Arrival at the Showcase cinema.
Forget about the film,it was rubbish, but the cinema ?!... wow.
Honestly the best cinema experience. Forget 3D OR IMAX . We're talking reclining sofas, a glass of wine or beer and no looking at backs of peoples heads.

Man that Arrival movie sucked arse

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Film Recommendation on 00:26 - Dec 2 with 3032 viewsBucksRanger

Have to disagree with you Punter regarding 'Arrival'. Thought it was an elegaic film about love, loss and the power of language to let you see things in a different light. Not your average sci-fi movie by any means but if the viewer can live without the use of weapons of mass destruction in a film and aliens that aren't planning to destroy the Earth then it is a classy piece of work. Top marks go to Amy Adams who can portray more emotion with subtle eye movements than most actresses can achieve with a first class monologue.

My recommendation for an overlooked great little indie film is 'Reparation'. All about a US Air Force veteran with a 3 year gap in his head where his air force days should be. He carves out an ordinary life with a loving wife and they have a daughter. Then an old air force buddy that he cannot remember seeks him out years later and his missing 3 year memory span starts to appear in pieces of his daughter's artwork. It seems as though his missing memories have hitched a ride on his daughter's DNA. Excellent acting all round by a cast that I have not seen elsewhere.
Film Recommendation on 02:03 - Dec 2 with 3012 viewsBasingstokeR

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was very good.
Film Recommendation on 05:38 - Dec 2 with 2983 viewsmacclesfieldman

Film Recommendation on 02:03 - Dec 2 by BasingstokeR

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was very good.

Recent good movies I've seen include Hacksaw Ridge, Sully, Alone in Berlin, Girl on the Train, Allies and The Accountant

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

Film Recommendation on 09:11 - Dec 2 with 2912 viewssimmo

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is worth a watch too. Odd little film by the guys behind flight of the concords (they also did What we do in the Shadows, which is excellent).

Funny and emotional all at once with a great soundtrack

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Film Recommendation on 09:18 - Dec 2 with 2909 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Some good recommendations there folks. Thanks.

Film Recommendation on 10:25 - Dec 2 with 2869 viewsPunteR

Film Recommendation on 00:26 - Dec 2 by BucksRanger

Have to disagree with you Punter regarding 'Arrival'. Thought it was an elegaic film about love, loss and the power of language to let you see things in a different light. Not your average sci-fi movie by any means but if the viewer can live without the use of weapons of mass destruction in a film and aliens that aren't planning to destroy the Earth then it is a classy piece of work. Top marks go to Amy Adams who can portray more emotion with subtle eye movements than most actresses can achieve with a first class monologue.

My recommendation for an overlooked great little indie film is 'Reparation'. All about a US Air Force veteran with a 3 year gap in his head where his air force days should be. He carves out an ordinary life with a loving wife and they have a daughter. Then an old air force buddy that he cannot remember seeks him out years later and his missing 3 year memory span starts to appear in pieces of his daughter's artwork. It seems as though his missing memories have hitched a ride on his daughter's DNA. Excellent acting all round by a cast that I have not seen elsewhere.

Fair enough comments about Arrival. I didn't really buy it though. I just couldn't overlook the alien elephants called Abbott and Costello or how the Adams character managed to interpret the non linear language thereby enabling her to perceive .. things.
Maybe it needs a re-watch.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Film Recommendation on 10:08 - Dec 3 with 2761 views1BobbyHazell

Film Recommendation on 09:11 - Dec 2 by simmo

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is worth a watch too. Odd little film by the guys behind flight of the concords (they also did What we do in the Shadows, which is excellent).

Lovely little film. Love the concords.

Captain Fantastic is definitely worth a watch.
Film Recommendation on 15:52 - Dec 8 with 2608 viewsTacticalR

Arrival was pleasant enough but my problem with it was that it felt like a movie assembled from pre-existing components.

The root of it all is reverential Malickism. Terence Malick has made some fantastic masterpieces like Days of Heaven and The New World. Some of his other films are pretty hard going. His style of 'glacial' film-making has now influenced scifi films (Interstellar, Arrival) and given us one of the components of arthouse scifi:

Camera dwelling endlessly on main character (style of Terence Malick, reverentially copied)
Single Women in Space (Sandra Bullock in Gravity, Halle Berry in Extant)
Dead or lost children (Gravity, Extant, Interstellar)

It's all high production values, good actors, and an OK script (with, as Punter has pointed out, some rather illogical elements) but behind it all are elements of a genre that has just been born but already feels old.

Air hostess clique

Film Recommendation on 15:56 - Dec 8 with 2603 viewshopphoops

Film Recommendation on 15:52 - Dec 8 by TacticalR

Arrival was pleasant enough but my problem with it was that it felt like a movie assembled from pre-existing components.

The root of it all is reverential Malickism. Terence Malick has made some fantastic masterpieces like Days of Heaven and The New World. Some of his other films are pretty hard going. His style of 'glacial' film-making has now influenced scifi films (Interstellar, Arrival) and given us one of the components of arthouse scifi:

Camera dwelling endlessly on main character (style of Terence Malick, reverentially copied)
Single Women in Space (Sandra Bullock in Gravity, Halle Berry in Extant)
Dead or lost children (Gravity, Extant, Interstellar)

It's all high production values, good actors, and an OK script (with, as Punter has pointed out, some rather illogical elements) but behind it all are elements of a genre that has just been born but already feels old.

Is Tree of Life by Terence Malick? It's a crime against humanity.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Film Recommendation on 16:20 - Dec 8 with 2583 viewsTacticalR

Film Recommendation on 15:56 - Dec 8 by hopphoops

Is Tree of Life by Terence Malick? It's a crime against humanity.

Yes. I think Malick had given up on plot at that point.

Air hostess clique

Film Recommendation on 17:15 - Dec 8 with 2550 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Dreadful year for movies. But, the year is not done yet and I'm hoping Rogue One will be a decent film for the sci fi fans.

The only thing that's stood out for me this year was Eddie The Eagle! A fun look at a true story that I sat and watched take place all those years ago.

Fully agree that Arrival sucks as hard as it blows. Teary eyed woman saves humanity by reading ink blots made by floating octopuses on a foggy day.

Also rans: 10 Clovefield Lane, Midnight Special and Deadpool.
Film Recommendation on 17:16 - Dec 8 with 2549 viewsrobith

Film Recommendation on 00:26 - Dec 2 by BucksRanger

Agree, I loved Arrival
Film Recommendation on 20:27 - Dec 8 with 2490 viewsmarkrtid

Film Recommendation on 09:11 - Dec 2 by simmo

'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' is a brilliant call.

Blimey! Us R's supporters are so learned and cultured....sometimes.
Film Recommendation on 14:37 - Feb 12 with 2199 viewsTacticalR

Film Recommendation on 10:25 - Dec 2 by PunteR

Fair enough comments about Arrival. I didn't really buy it though. I just couldn't overlook the alien elephants called Abbott and Costello or how the Adams character managed to interpret the non linear language thereby enabling her to perceive .. things.
Maybe it needs a re-watch.

Re-watched last week it as a copy came my way.

More convinced than when I first saw it at the cinema that it's just deadly dull.

Air hostess clique

Film Recommendation on 14:46 - Feb 12 with 2189 viewspeejaybee

Film Recommendation on 20:27 - Dec 8 by markrtid

Cos we didn't all go to grammer skool.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Film Recommendation on 14:46 - Feb 12 with 2189 viewsBoston

Film Recommendation on 20:27 - Dec 8 by markrtid

Indeed, on my last trip over I witnessed blokes watching the game with a wistful look upon their face, legs crossed, clasping chin between thumb and forefinger...last time I buy tickets in the Ivory section.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Film Recommendation on 15:53 - Feb 12 with 2144 viewssmegma

Film Recommendation on 14:46 - Feb 12 by Boston

Indeed, on my last trip over I witnessed blokes watching the game with a wistful look upon their face, legs crossed, clasping chin between thumb and forefinger...last time I buy tickets in the Ivory section.

Or Q Block.
Film Recommendation on 16:09 - Feb 12 with 2135 viewsE17hoop

Loved Arrival and Wilderpeople. Amy Adams is brilliant in Nocturnal Animals too. Also look out for Sing Street for the retro music feel and Edge of Seventeen where Woody Harrelson is excellent.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Film Recommendation on 17:06 - Feb 12 with 2101 viewsTripper

Really enjoyed 'Hell Or High Water'.
Film Recommendation on 17:52 - Feb 12 with 2072 viewsHantsR

Saw Toni Erdmann last week and thought it a very entertaining and even thoughtful film, almost unique with German comedy (not an oxymoron anymore). Girl in seats next to our back-row armchair (we do things in style you know) laughed helplessly. Read that Jack Nicholson is planning his own version...hmmm.

I recommend not seeing the vastly over-rated La La Land - but it seems I'm in a minority.
Film Recommendation on 17:58 - Feb 12 with 2063 viewsHadders

I loved Nebraska - exactly my type of film. Truthful, poetic and moving without a car chase or explosion in sight. Funny in parts , too. Another Alexander payne road movie, Sideways, is one of my all-time favourites.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2017 17:59]
Film Recommendation on 19:20 - Feb 12 with 2000 viewsmarkrtid

Film Recommendation on 14:46 - Feb 12 by Boston

Is that when we played Fulham?
Wrong ground or wrong end maybe?

Although, the way results have been going of late. Wistful is a good adjective to describe ones feelings.
Film Recommendation on 21:17 - Feb 12 with 1925 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watched Arrival just now. Really enjoyed it, very clever film and beautifully put together.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024