Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham 22:57 - Jan 5 with 12796 viewsqueensparker

I know we've had our run-ins over the years, but this is a disgusting story of council corruption and the modern world in which we unfortunately live. More power to their struggle. Could well happen to us

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/05/millwall-admit-council-scheme-l
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 13:21 - Jan 6 with 3415 viewsolderR

Perhaps Milton Keynes will take them so they can have a proper local derby.
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 14:24 - Jan 6 with 3353 viewsDylanP

As far as I can see this is just a power play by Millwall to try and get more leverage over the council.

There is nothing in that article about corruption or that would force Millwall out of their current ground. The story is that the council are doing regeneration planning and Millwall want to get greater benefits under the regeneration. So, Millwall are spreading the whisper that they might, at some later date, be forced to leave the area if they want to build a bigger stadium. On what planet do Millwall need a bigger stadium??? They are a mediocre third division (League One) team with a ground that can fit 20K+, which is bigger than ours. They are averaging around 10K at home and have been at that level for many years. They are fine and definitely do not need a new ground. Even if they were to win promotion to the second division (Championship) they would still be fine.

Millwall are banking on the fact that people won't read the fine print and will hear the rumour that 'Wall might leave the Den and freak out and force the Council's hand. To be fair, if this board is anything to go by, it looks like that strategy might be successful.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2017 14:28]

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 14:33 - Jan 6 with 3337 viewsNorthernr

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 14:24 - Jan 6 by DylanP

As far as I can see this is just a power play by Millwall to try and get more leverage over the council.

There is nothing in that article about corruption or that would force Millwall out of their current ground. The story is that the council are doing regeneration planning and Millwall want to get greater benefits under the regeneration. So, Millwall are spreading the whisper that they might, at some later date, be forced to leave the area if they want to build a bigger stadium. On what planet do Millwall need a bigger stadium??? They are a mediocre third division (League One) team with a ground that can fit 20K+, which is bigger than ours. They are averaging around 10K at home and have been at that level for many years. They are fine and definitely do not need a new ground. Even if they were to win promotion to the second division (Championship) they would still be fine.

Millwall are banking on the fact that people won't read the fine print and will hear the rumour that 'Wall might leave the Den and freak out and force the Council's hand. To be fair, if this board is anything to go by, it looks like that strategy might be successful.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2017 14:28]

You don't have any problem with an offshore property developer set up by senior figures in Lewisham's Labour controlled council using Lewisham's Labour controlled council to shove through the compulsory purchase of land which isn't theirs to develop luxury flats?
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 14:39 - Jan 6 with 3318 viewsMedwayR

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 14:33 - Jan 6 by Northernr

You don't have any problem with an offshore property developer set up by senior figures in Lewisham's Labour controlled council using Lewisham's Labour controlled council to shove through the compulsory purchase of land which isn't theirs to develop luxury flats?

Potentially cutting off access to the stadium at the same time resulting in Millwall having a perfectly decent stadium that they can't use.

Poll: Who’s better?

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 14:50 - Jan 6 with 3289 viewsBoston

Hmm, no football firm will ever reach the level of disorder that local government can.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 17:44 - Jan 6 with 3152 viewsDylanP

That is just guesswork and hearsay.

There is nothing unusual in a government making a deal for major development work with a multinational corporation that has the resources and experience to get the job done. I am not claiming that I know who this multinational corporation is, I just don't see anything surprising in that.

And all the stuff about cutting off access to the ground just sounds like nonsense. The Dell will likely be seen as a huge asset in any redevelopment plan, not an afterthought. Having an anchor entertainment venue that brings visitors from outside the immediate area is a huge plus to urban redevelopment and shopkeepers love that -- it brings waves of outside money to supplement the local community.

And finally, eminent domain is how all governments do redevelopment. Like I said, I don't know anything specific about this redevelopment, but I do know that there was nothing in the article itself that spoke to corruption or the club having to move to Kent. That was just sensationalist NIMBY rubbish. Millwall get paid top price for locked land that they couldn't do anything with anyway. What were they going to do, expand the Dell out by two blocks in one direction and one in the other?

Voters expect governments to do urban regeneration, so that run down areas that are a negative to the community can be turned into great places that are a positive to the community. Mixed-use land development, including housing, shops, and entertainment all with easy access to public transport, is the wave of the future. They call it new urbanism round where I live and there have been some fantastic developments that have turned really crappy run down urban areas into fantastic communities. Because new urbanism includes significantly increased density, you can have luxury flats, affordable flat, retail and entertainment all within easy walking distance. Its a win for all involved.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 18:10 - Jan 6 with 3124 viewsBoston

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 17:44 - Jan 6 by DylanP

There is nothing unusual in a government making a deal for major development work with a multinational corporation that has the resources and experience to get the job done. I am not claiming that I know who this multinational corporation is, I just don't see anything surprising in that.

And all the stuff about cutting off access to the ground just sounds like nonsense. The Dell will likely be seen as a huge asset in any redevelopment plan, not an afterthought. Having an anchor entertainment venue that brings visitors from outside the immediate area is a huge plus to urban redevelopment and shopkeepers love that -- it brings waves of outside money to supplement the local community.

And finally, eminent domain is how all governments do redevelopment. Like I said, I don't know anything specific about this redevelopment, but I do know that there was nothing in the article itself that spoke to corruption or the club having to move to Kent. That was just sensationalist NIMBY rubbish. Millwall get paid top price for locked land that they couldn't do anything with anyway. What were they going to do, expand the Dell out by two blocks in one direction and one in the other?

Voters expect governments to do urban regeneration, so that run down areas that are a negative to the community can be turned into great places that are a positive to the community. Mixed-use land development, including housing, shops, and entertainment all with easy access to public transport, is the wave of the future. They call it new urbanism round where I live and there have been some fantastic developments that have turned really crappy run down urban areas into fantastic communities. Because new urbanism includes significantly increased density, you can have luxury flats, affordable flat, retail and entertainment all within easy walking distance. Its a win for all involved.

Oi Dellboy.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2017 18:34]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 18:11 - Jan 6 with 3123 viewsJuzzie

I wouldn't trust local councils as far as I could throw them. Just as bad as MP's.

I've seen two situations (one in Camden Town 15-ish years ago and the other in Richmond Upon Thames just a few months ago) where in both cases there was complete public support in opposition of the councils proposals to develop land (and causing more congestion issues) and the outcome was the council got what they wanted, including going back on promises made to sugar coat the proposal.
Login to get fewer ads

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 19:02 - Jan 6 with 3076 viewsNortholt_Rs

For anybody else yes but for them no. Total filth. I hope they vanish.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 19:13 - Jan 6 with 3060 viewsDannytheR

Sadly, I'm surprised it's taken this long for a middle ranking, non-Premiership/Sky London club to end up on the wrong side of the current situation with land in the city (together with its councils staring into various financial abysses).

Clearly, it's hard to work up much sympathy for Millwall. But as the most centrally located club in London and another one without Premiership money and profile, if you don't read that and think There But For The Grace of God, you're not paying attention.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2017 19:13]
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 20:19 - Jan 6 with 2978 views2Thomas2Bowles

This folks is gentrification horseshit.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 20:40 - Jan 6 with 2956 viewsNorthernr

This "multinational company with loads of experience" is actually an off the shelf company called Renewal with a parent based in the Isle of Man.

It was set up by the previous Labour mayor Dave Sullivan - a former Lewisham council colleague of the current mayor Steve Bullock and of the current chief executive Barry Quirk - and Mushtaq Malik - a former Lewisham council officer who has a close working relationship going back 20 years with Quick.

Its parent company has published a document saying that as soon as the CPO is forced through it intends to sell the land on to the highest bidder - it estimates the value at £850m-£1bn.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 21:05 - Jan 6 with 2921 viewsBrightonhoop

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 20:40 - Jan 6 by Northernr

This "multinational company with loads of experience" is actually an off the shelf company called Renewal with a parent based in the Isle of Man.

It was set up by the previous Labour mayor Dave Sullivan - a former Lewisham council colleague of the current mayor Steve Bullock and of the current chief executive Barry Quirk - and Mushtaq Malik - a former Lewisham council officer who has a close working relationship going back 20 years with Quick.

Its parent company has published a document saying that as soon as the CPO is forced through it intends to sell the land on to the highest bidder - it estimates the value at £850m-£1bn.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Back of the net.
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 21:13 - Jan 6 with 2918 viewsdannyblue

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 00:37 - Jan 6 by Trom

Trouble is this has nothing to do with the supporters. We've all been to Millwall over the years and it's up there with Stoke as the places I'm most pleased to have gone home without an injury. Important thing is that is irrelevant.

This is a club not much smaller than ourselves being screwed over because land values have gone up. London has the most absurd property prices and unless the young inherit the chance of home ownership is next to zero. Land around Shepherds Bush is equally desirable more so I'd think by some margin.

So what's that stopping that happening to us. Lets face it the borough has Chelsea and Fulham. Millwall is a community asset and has many outreach projects just like QPR.

If you loose clubs like Millwall, Charlton, Orient... the list goes on - then the fabric of being a supporter of a smaller club is lost and we all may as well go and support a generic premiership club for the glory.

That's not really what these clubs mean to their community.

So I'll support them against this.

Grr fcking fat fingers and stupid phone. Meant to up arrow not down arrow.
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 22:39 - Jan 6 with 2853 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I'm Labour through and through but can't defend this shit.

Shame on the party.
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 22:51 - Jan 6 with 2941 viewsLblock

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 22:39 - Jan 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Shame on the party.

Nothing to do with politics apart from the political fellas involved - this is crooked pure and simple and there's crooks red and blue or any shade between

I used to work in Bermondsey and was chatting earlier to a couple of gents from said manor individually.
First fella says to me this is horses head in the bed type stuff and "people darnt nahh what theyre messin wiv" and cannot see it happening
Second fella tells me there's more than a few "connected" people looking at making large sums who are willing to sell a club they've supported all their lives down the river.

I've always treated everything both have said to me in the past with a shovel of salt and this is no different -- reckon they know nothing. However the truth is probably somewhere between the two.
It needs to be stopped and I wish the football club all the best - cue the music "there but for the grace of God, there goes I, I, I, I....."

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 23:27 - Jan 6 with 2933 viewsBrightonhoop

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 22:39 - Jan 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Shame on the party.

Power corrupts, regardless.
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 15:34 - Jan 7 with 2797 viewsTGRRRSSS

If this happens it's a very disturbing precedent, regardless of who it is this is bad news for all clubs potentially going forward...
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 09:18 - Jan 20 with 2543 viewstoboboly

What d'ya mean it's not being done by the book?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/19/millwall-stadium-false-funding-

http://www.captiongenerator.com/306202/Renewal-Downfall

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 11:47 - Jan 20 with 2434 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 11:54 - Jan 20 with 2414 views2Thomas2Bowles

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 11:47 - Jan 20 by Mick_S

I could rant on about the E&C and haygate for weeks.
It goes way beyond gentrification and social cleansing.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 12:02 - Jan 20 with 2398 viewsnadera78

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 11:54 - Jan 20 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I could rant on about the E&C and haygate for weeks.
It goes way beyond gentrification and social cleansing.

Talk about social cleansing....Westminster Council has announced that all registered homeless (ie currently in temporary accommodation) people within the borough will be relocated outside of London. Every single one of them. Literally removing anyone likely to vote against them and dumping them elsewhere. Some world we're living in.
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 14:32 - Jan 20 with 2287 viewsNorthernr

dodgier and dodgier every day.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/19/millwall-stadium-false-funding-
Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 00:23 - May 19 with 1929 viewsTacticalR

The Millwall Party...

'Willow Winston, a 72-year-old local artist who is backed by the Millwall AMS supporters’ group, is standing for the Lewisham East seat in the general election'

Millwall blue takes on Labour red in the battle for Lewisham East
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/17/millwall-willow-winston-general

Air hostess clique

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 19:13 - May 19 with 1715 viewskitkev

Millwall may be forced out of Lewisham on 23:38 - Jan 5 by connell10

Most other clubs id feel sorry for but not those bastards, let them crash and burn!

us bastards will not care wether you agree to this or not but remember this one day you may well be in the same position,

We are not happy clappy or sold our souls to the sky dream, and will support any other club that is being cajoled for the pound note.

so remember this in the future
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024