Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 12:35 - Jan 13 with 2691 viewsAntti_Heinola

An extremely pleasant surprise. A win, on Sky, away, at Reading. I know that did happen once before (thank you Wayne), but still, from not seeing where our next win would come from (always difficult when you're on a losing run) suddenly three in a row turn up. Always easier to do these after a good performance too, so I'm afraid some deserving people will not make my final six...

1. OLLIE: Clive's written before about the troughs Ollie managed to drag us out of last time he was here, and he appears to have done it again. The Wolves and Ipswich games could have gone either way (to be fair, so could at least half of the six-game-horror-hell too) and had they done, I'm not convinced he'd still be manager. Can any boss survive 8 defeats on the bounce, no matter when it comes in their tenure?

Bad runs rarely end with a thumping 4-0 win. They usually end with a draw or the sort of wins the Wolves and Ipswich games were - barely 'deserved' (whatever that means - surely if you scored more goals you deserve to win?) - but once that belief that you can actually win games returns, it's amazing how performances from largely the same players can change. Ollie talked about players who didn't want to be here afterwards - but chery's attitude never seemed particularly questionable, and neither did Polter's. This seemed more about belief returning and, crucially, a fantastic game plan executed perfectly. Mackie's on-camera chat afterwards said as much.

And that's where some are perhaps a little harsh on Ollie. Yes, he's a motivator, yes he has enthusiasm. But here he out-thought Stam, the tactician from Holland and not only did he have the right plan, the players understood it, learned it, and executed it with both skill and relentless energy. I feared they wouldn't be able to keep up the high pressing all game, but they did, and fully deserved the win.

The pressure will have eased on Ollie now, and it'll be interesting to see how things develop and how the side changes with incomers over the coming month. Of course, a bashing by Fulham - always a strong possibility - could change all that very quickly, but we'll all go into that game feeling less apprehensive than we would have done a few short weeks ago.

2. WSZOLEK: When he was thrown into his debut in the humbling by Newcastle, I really felt for him. Having to come on and face that onslaught must be the worst possible situation in which to make your bow. But with each game he's slowly got better. The signs have always been good - Andy Sinton talked on the Loftcast about his excellent cutback he does when he reaches the byeline and he did it hear again a couple of times - he has such great awareness from that position.

But what's really improved is his fitness. Against Fulham he was excellent, but tired around the 70-minute mark. Yesterday he was still working as hard in the 90th minute as he did in the first, making sure he gave Furlong plenty of protection, while still remaining a threat further forward. Something seemed to happen almost every time he got the ball and his cut and run, bisecting two Reading defenders on the halfway line before setting up Sylla to have his shot scrambled away, was the kind of joyous breakaway teams have been doing to us every week.

Hope the rumours are true that a two-year deal is agreed. Good player.

3. MANNING: I still haven't had a proper live look at him yet, but the signs are encouraging. At times yesterday I thought he was being bypassed a little, which is only to be expected, and I think I'd have had him off ten minutes earlier just to get some fresh Doughty legs on there. But it was a good showing and what most impressed me was his passing. Particularly for the goal, obviously. Baffling that on TV there was some chat about whether he meant it - OK, it may have been more perfect than even he hoped, but still, there was absolutely no doubt about what he was attempting. Absolutely superb assist.

And his perceptive passing was a feature of the game. He has great vision and definitely has the ability to thread dangerous balls in behind the defence, with Wszolek particularly being a great outlet for him and the rest of the team. Will be interesting to see whi we bring in and whether he retains his place - who would've thought we'd be fielding a midfield three of Hall, Luongo and Manning this season - and that it would work so well?

4. LUONGO: Just a quick word on him. Written off by many, criticised for being too lightweight, but this game showed again why he could be such a vital player for us. no one won more of the ball than him last night - often he nicked it in dangerous areas too, as he pressed high and really put the Reading back line on the back foot. Not only that, he showed enormous energy, popping up everywhere from left wing to just in front oft he centre backs. He does need to produce more in the penalty box, in terms of goals and assists, but there's a big player in there.

5. FURLONG: Was disappointed when he went out on loan. I felt for sure that he could establish himself this season, but perhaps it was the right decision. He learned a lot at Cambridge, moved on at Swindon and now, it seems, is ready to claim the right back slot - with the fabled 29 on his back too. I thought he was excellent - strong, quick, determined, skillful. And he and Wszolek worked really well together. I thought he had a real handle on Obita and later Meite and didn't look in the least overawed. Played it when he could, but booted into touch or upfield if he was in trouble. A mature performance. And, it may not look like it now, but he may develop into the kind of leader many are crying out for. He's been a great captain at youth level, so that may help us too as he settles into the side.

And how amazing to see a game where Furlong, Manning, Doughty and Comley all had game time.

6. MACKIE: And final word has to go to Jamie. Mocked in some quarters for not having the skill of Messi, his return to the side has coincided with these valuable victories.
Will get you goals.
Will have belief.
Will chase lost causes.
Will win 30-70 balls.
Will hold it up.
Will annoy defenders.
Will offer hope.
Will work his arse off.
It was classic Mackie, maligned by the few, loved by those of us with half a brain. Some players just fit some clubs - Mackie and QPR is a great fit. Brilliant that he celebrated too - none of this not-celebrating-in-front-of-old-club bullsh!t. Aren't fans precious?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 12:49]

Bare bones.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 13:37 - Jan 13 with 2402 viewsPinnerPaul

Pavel - I'm sure he will get better as he settles in England and learns the language.

For the Sylla chance in 2nd half , you can see Sylla wantimg the ball played forward in behind the defence, but he cut back and ended up playing it behind Sylla - with both of them you would think that sort of communication issue can only improve.

As you say 6 losses, 3 wins - who would have thought ?- no one - despite some Mr Hindsights on here claiming otherwise!
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 13:53 - Jan 13 with 2344 viewsWadR

On Ollie, totally agree that he deserves a lot of praise for the set up and tactics last night. Was a fantastic balance of flexibility and discipline. Mackie and Wszolek knew when to split wide and cover the fullbacks, and when to harry the centrebacks. Hall too, positionally was excellent - although I was only watching on telly so inevitably won't have got the full picture.

It feels poignant that it's against Reading that Ollie really out-thought the opposition manager because for me, the reverse fixture was when I started erring towards being Jimmy out. Although we drew that game, there was no semblance of a game plan or clear route of attack whereas I was so impressed by Reading's shape and philosophy as implemented by Stam. Last night, that was totally reversed.

Agree on all your other points. Worth adding that I thought Luongo, on top of having an excellent destructive and creative game, was noticeably more vocal than in the past. He was talking and directing Wszolek and especially Manning through heavy periods of Reading possession. Making sure they kept a good shape, and were on the toes.

Honestly, I've never been a huge Mackie fan. Respected him and appreciated his contributions in 2010/11 and 2011/12 but thought his re-signing was a mistake. But he's been exceptional in the last two games (didn't see Wolves). There's a deftness and cleverness to his game that simply didn't exist 5 years ago. While the accusations of the past that he was a headless chicken were always reductive, he's now got facets to his game that's made him a more well rounded player. Undoubtedly the key man to this mini-revival.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:03 - Jan 13 with 2295 viewsmakaveli1882

An extremely pleasant surprise. A win, on Sky, away, at Reading. I know that did happen once before (thank you Wayne),

Also won there last year on sky and also on a thursday, we have not lost there in 7 years so a bit of a happy hunting ground.

16 Mar 2010 Reading v Queens Park Rangers L 1-0 League Championship
06 Nov 2010 Queens Park Rangers v Reading W 3-1 League Championship
04 Feb 2011 Reading v Queens Park Rangers W 0-1 League Championship
26 Sep 2012 Queens Park Rangers v Reading L 2-3 League Cup
04 Nov 2012 Queens Park Rangers v Reading D 1-1 Premier League
28 Apr 2013 Reading v Queens Park Rangers D 0-0 Premier League
09 Nov 2013 Reading v Queens Park Rangers D 1-1 League Championship
16 Feb 2014 Queens Park Rangers v Reading L 1-3 League Championship
03 Dec 2015 Reading v Queens Park Rangers W 0-1 League Championship
23 Apr 2016 Queens Park Rangers v Reading D 1-1 League Championship
15 Oct 2016 Queens Park Rangers v Reading D 1-1 League Championship
12 Jan 2017 Reading v Queens Park Rangers W 0-1 League Championship
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:16 - Jan 13 with 2228 viewsHunterhoop

As I've mentioned I watched it with some mates, who are football fans (Watford & Kingstonian).

They thought that Holloway had completely out done Stam on the tactics front. Even in the first half they were pointing this out.

Secondly, they all thought Pawel Wszolek was clearly the best player on the pitch and commented on what stands him apart is his ability to get his head up when running with the ball. It means his end product is so much better.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:26 - Jan 13 with 2189 viewspaulparker

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 13:53 - Jan 13 by WadR

On Ollie, totally agree that he deserves a lot of praise for the set up and tactics last night. Was a fantastic balance of flexibility and discipline. Mackie and Wszolek knew when to split wide and cover the fullbacks, and when to harry the centrebacks. Hall too, positionally was excellent - although I was only watching on telly so inevitably won't have got the full picture.

It feels poignant that it's against Reading that Ollie really out-thought the opposition manager because for me, the reverse fixture was when I started erring towards being Jimmy out. Although we drew that game, there was no semblance of a game plan or clear route of attack whereas I was so impressed by Reading's shape and philosophy as implemented by Stam. Last night, that was totally reversed.

Agree on all your other points. Worth adding that I thought Luongo, on top of having an excellent destructive and creative game, was noticeably more vocal than in the past. He was talking and directing Wszolek and especially Manning through heavy periods of Reading possession. Making sure they kept a good shape, and were on the toes.

Honestly, I've never been a huge Mackie fan. Respected him and appreciated his contributions in 2010/11 and 2011/12 but thought his re-signing was a mistake. But he's been exceptional in the last two games (didn't see Wolves). There's a deftness and cleverness to his game that simply didn't exist 5 years ago. While the accusations of the past that he was a headless chicken were always reductive, he's now got facets to his game that's made him a more well rounded player. Undoubtedly the key man to this mini-revival.

The other good thing about Mackie is that he chips away at the ref non stop and draws clever fouls when we are under pressure, we have been missing that for a very long time
you watch other teams do it to us time & again so it was nice to see it last night from us
I also agree with you WadR I was at the reading reverse fixture and we were dire and that for me also raised huge questions about JFH and his tactics

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:50 - Jan 13 with 2089 viewsFredManRave

Also worth mentioning two more strings to Mackie bow. Firstly, how his enthusiasm and energy rubs off on his team mates. You'd have to be a robot to not be affected when you see him not just running around but getting stuck in and hassling. It's contagious. And that in turn works its way onto the watching fans who'll find more reason to support and push the team on when they see a player doing exactly what is needed at this level and something that has sadly been lacking for such a long time.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:56 - Jan 13 with 2061 viewsPinnerPaul

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:50 - Jan 13 by FredManRave

Also worth mentioning two more strings to Mackie bow. Firstly, how his enthusiasm and energy rubs off on his team mates. You'd have to be a robot to not be affected when you see him not just running around but getting stuck in and hassling. It's contagious. And that in turn works its way onto the watching fans who'll find more reason to support and push the team on when they see a player doing exactly what is needed at this level and something that has sadly been lacking for such a long time.

Which, when you think about it, its a wonder more "limited" players don't do it!

All professional footballers have a level of technical skill and with the facilities and time! available to them, there really is no excuse for anyone not to be able to play the "Jamie Mackie" way - they should all be fit enough to do it.

As you say, even if you then make mistakes, (most) fans will forgive a player who shows as much passion as Jamie.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:03 - Jan 13 with 2026 viewsenfieldargh

1 swallow (ok 3) doesnt a summer make.....

But I think were are actually onto something here.

You can see that players are actually sticking to a game plan, which often switches into a different gear.

Apart from Pavel we need the other forwards just to be able to find that final ball more regularly. Just know decision making is at 50%(if one can gauge things like this) whereas before everything was a bit hit and hope.

Irs great to see players have the confidence to try and move forwards instead of left right or backwards. Yes we went backwards a few times but then moved forward deftly.

The players also worked the wotsits off but you also felt that they were happy in what they were achieving.

Kemorgant did cause us a few wobbly moments and a better striker may have punished us but well played for the defending on the whole

Some tough games coming up so as long as we compete and dont revert to 2016 mode then Ill be a very happy hoop.

Great NJ's Anti as usual

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:07 - Jan 13 with 1996 viewsHunterhoop

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:56 - Jan 13 by PinnerPaul

Which, when you think about it, its a wonder more "limited" players don't do it!

All professional footballers have a level of technical skill and with the facilities and time! available to them, there really is no excuse for anyone not to be able to play the "Jamie Mackie" way - they should all be fit enough to do it.

As you say, even if you then make mistakes, (most) fans will forgive a player who shows as much passion as Jamie.

Well, quite.

He does show what true 100% effort actually looks like....and he also makes sure his effort and passion is very visible, which helps.

But, as we all know from bitter experience, other players don't try as hard or care as much. Many many players across all teams and all leagues.

Another way of looking at it, which my Watford mate pointed out, was (in his words) that if Jamie Mackie had really good technical ability (rather than the bare minimum for a professional footballer), he'd be one of the best players in the world and an International.

He called him a Championship Dirk Kuyt.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:14 - Jan 13 with 1958 viewsWadR

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:26 - Jan 13 by paulparker

The other good thing about Mackie is that he chips away at the ref non stop and draws clever fouls when we are under pressure, we have been missing that for a very long time
you watch other teams do it to us time & again so it was nice to see it last night from us
I also agree with you WadR I was at the reading reverse fixture and we were dire and that for me also raised huge questions about JFH and his tactics

Very true. We've been such a soft touch in the last few years, and Mackie's very good at getting to the officials.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:26 - Jan 13 with 1892 viewsterryb

I, for one, am very happy to admit that Jamie Mackie's return has exceeded all of my expectations.

I was delighted when we signed him from Plymouth & he lived up to (perhaps exceeded) them.

However, I didn't understand why we signed him back from Forest & last season backed the view that he was finished as a footballer. The last three league games have shown us what we lost when injury took it's toll on him though.

I would be amazed, but delighted, if he can keep up this endeavour till the end of the season & hope that Queens Park Rangers can take full advantage while it lasts!

It is a very similar situation with Ollie. I certainly thought he was past his best before date. However, last night was a dream team plan & carried out close to perfection. Again, I will be very pleasently surprised if this becomes the norm, but boy, did I enjoy that!

7 players that have come through the youth/under 21 system have played for us in league games this season (6 of them since Ollie returned). Add Lumley to those & that is a total far beyond my expectations.

Is this the most in one season since either Venerbles or Stock introduced our home grown youth? Long may it continue!
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:51 - Jan 13 with 1807 viewsFDC

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:16 - Jan 13 by Hunterhoop

As I've mentioned I watched it with some mates, who are football fans (Watford & Kingstonian).

They thought that Holloway had completely out done Stam on the tactics front. Even in the first half they were pointing this out.

Secondly, they all thought Pawel Wszolek was clearly the best player on the pitch and commented on what stands him apart is his ability to get his head up when running with the ball. It means his end product is so much better.

It is very noticeable that he looks about and assesses the situation before playing a pass or a cross, and seems to be able to make good decisions whilst playing at pace.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:52 - Jan 13 with 1792 viewsFDC

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:50 - Jan 13 by FredManRave

Slight side bar, but there's been lots of talk of players and Holloway "rubbing off" on each other. In light of the recent work-place-masturbation thread, may I suggest we find alternative language.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:58 - Jan 13 with 1763 viewsFredManRave

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:52 - Jan 13 by FDC

Slight side bar, but there's been lots of talk of players and Holloway "rubbing off" on each other. In light of the recent work-place-masturbation thread, may I suggest we find alternative language.

Ok. The players come good when they see Mackie on the pitch.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:59 - Jan 13 with 1751 viewsFDC

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:58 - Jan 13 by FredManRave

Ok. The players come good when they see Mackie on the pitch.

Hmm... seem to be treading on similar territory here...

I'd suggest "assists other players in rising to the occasion"

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 16:21 - Jan 13 with 1666 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:03 - Jan 13 by makaveli1882

An extremely pleasant surprise. A win, on Sky, away, at Reading. I know that did happen once before (thank you Wayne),

Also won there last year on sky and also on a thursday, we have not lost there in 7 years so a bit of a happy hunting ground.

16 Mar 2010 Reading v Queens Park Rangers L 1-0 League Championship
06 Nov 2010 Queens Park Rangers v Reading W 3-1 League Championship
04 Feb 2011 Reading v Queens Park Rangers W 0-1 League Championship
26 Sep 2012 Queens Park Rangers v Reading L 2-3 League Cup
04 Nov 2012 Queens Park Rangers v Reading D 1-1 Premier League
28 Apr 2013 Reading v Queens Park Rangers D 0-0 Premier League
09 Nov 2013 Reading v Queens Park Rangers D 1-1 League Championship
16 Feb 2014 Queens Park Rangers v Reading L 1-3 League Championship
03 Dec 2015 Reading v Queens Park Rangers W 0-1 League Championship
23 Apr 2016 Queens Park Rangers v Reading D 1-1 League Championship
15 Oct 2016 Queens Park Rangers v Reading D 1-1 League Championship
12 Jan 2017 Reading v Queens Park Rangers W 0-1 League Championship

Very good point. We never used to win there and think I'm still stuck in a time warp - three very nice 1-0 wins there in recent years!

Bare bones.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 16:50 - Jan 13 with 1570 viewsrichranger

That pass that went behind Sylla was actually played for Mackie - who was really steaming in on it. Sylla went back and played it himself when Mackie would have had a clear scoring opportunity. It remind me of Adel t SWP against the Scum. Pity Sylla didn't see Mackie
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 16:51 - Jan 13 with 1564 viewsBoston

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 16:21 - Jan 13 by Antti_Heinola

Very good point. We never used to win there and think I'm still stuck in a time warp - three very nice 1-0 wins there in recent years!

Not being anti Anntti here, but you did have me a little confused.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 18:02 - Jan 13 with 1433 viewsrsonist

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 15:03 - Jan 13 by enfieldargh

1 swallow (ok 3) doesnt a summer make.....

But I think were are actually onto something here.

You can see that players are actually sticking to a game plan, which often switches into a different gear.

Apart from Pavel we need the other forwards just to be able to find that final ball more regularly. Just know decision making is at 50%(if one can gauge things like this) whereas before everything was a bit hit and hope.

Irs great to see players have the confidence to try and move forwards instead of left right or backwards. Yes we went backwards a few times but then moved forward deftly.

The players also worked the wotsits off but you also felt that they were happy in what they were achieving.

Kemorgant did cause us a few wobbly moments and a better striker may have punished us but well played for the defending on the whole

Some tough games coming up so as long as we compete and dont revert to 2016 mode then Ill be a very happy hoop.

Great NJ's Anti as usual

Yep agreed. Some great individual performances but as part of - or even because of - a greater collective action.

However he's got there, Ollie has a blueprint now. He must be careful to stick to it and not tinker too far or bloat the squad as he has had a tendency to do in the past - a striker or two and possibly cover at CB (Doughty or Borysiuk might allow Hall to drop back if needed) and we're good until the summer I think...
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 19:40 - Jan 13 with 1295 viewsCFW

Good post as usual.

So in the last three games which we have won we have only really played well in one which was last night. It was not a complete performance but it was exactly the type of performance both Ollie and us fans wanted to see - good set up, played to a plan, shape and determination throughout the side along with some stand out performances.

We were at times open especially when players ran at us through the middle and that needs to be addressed in my opinion but I really want to see some consistency in our play. We are not going to win every week and for me that is not the issue it is about playing well giving 100% and if we do that and get beat by a better side no problem.

Let's hope our confidence is back as a team and let's win, lose or draw together as a team.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 22:02 - Jan 13 with 1146 viewsMrSheen

Another thing that impressed me was the way Luongo, Manning and Mackie were trying to slip balls forward between defenders to forward runners as soon as they got possession. It might be a lower percentage pass than shunting it sideways or backwards, but my God, it's exciting. Me and Master Sheen were out of our seats oohing and aahing at some near misses in the second half.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 22:15 - Jan 13 with 1106 viewsPunteR

When Smithies made a Green like mistake and kicked the ball straight back to Reading which resulted to a corner, Mackie came straight up to him to gee him up,gave him a little high five, got him to focus , and go again. Confidence booster.
Thats captain material.
Brilliant game,best i've seen in a while.
Fans were terrific. My lad wants to do more away games now.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2017 2:34]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 21:32 - Jan 14 with 831 viewsDylanP

Nailed it Annti. Nice one

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Reading 0 QPR 1 on 14:56 - Jan 16 with 626 viewsTacticalR

Thanks Antti.

That was a thinking man's goal. It's the kind of goal Germany scores, where it doesn't matter if you have the best players as long as you make the right passes.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024