Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diego Costa 22:09 - Jan 13 with 6769 viewsDWQPR

Greedy, greedy knut. Hopefully he has just destroyed their title challenge. £30 million a year to play in China.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Diego Costa on 13:13 - Jan 16 with 1268 viewsNorthernr

Diego Costa on 13:08 - Jan 16 by BostonR

This is just the start of China's ambitions to make football their No1 watched sport and participation sport. I get the opportunity to work in China and I can tell you they have the resources to obliterate the Premier League.
Yes, players will follow the money and I expect Chinese clubs to compete with European clubs for the top players. I suspect the top brass at Sky and the Premier league already know they have a real battle to sustain their product over the next 5/10 yrs.

They can sign all the stars they like, nobody outside China is ever going to be interested in Shanghai Superblobs v Jiangsu Jizzwizzards.
Diego Costa on 13:13 - Jan 16 with 1268 viewsMrSheen

Diego Costa on 23:32 - Jan 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the background info, Sheen. Any more info would be great.

Thanks Brian, here's a bit about the 1964 team.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-israel-feature-idUKKBN0EF0PQ20140604
Weird 4 country Asian championship play-off line-up that included Israel, Hong Kong and India as well as South Korea. The Shah's Iran were happy to play them, but no-one else in the immediate neighbourhood would.
Diego Costa on 13:27 - Jan 16 with 1224 viewsmikeygunn

Diego Costa on 13:13 - Jan 16 by Northernr

They can sign all the stars they like, nobody outside China is ever going to be interested in Shanghai Superblobs v Jiangsu Jizzwizzards.

Jizzwizzard. This is my new favourite inflammatory term.
Diego Costa on 14:16 - Jan 16 with 1183 viewsAntti_Heinola

To be fair, I think jizzwizzards would get a lot of internet hits.

Bare bones.

Diego Costa on 14:18 - Jan 16 with 1176 viewsAntti_Heinola

Diego Costa on 12:54 - Jan 16 by CamberleyR

The French, well certainly the ones I encountered on holiday in Portugal this year, are downright fúcking rude.

For a moment there AH you sounded like Redknapp.

Ha ha, I feel quite dirty now.

Really, though? Generally speaking the loudest, rudest people I've met on holiday tend to be Brits, but perhaps that's because I can understand what they're saying!

Bare bones.

Diego Costa on 14:20 - Jan 16 with 1171 viewsHunterhoop

Diego Costa on 11:17 - Jan 16 by Antti_Heinola

Hilarious.

I wonder why people think we started attracting big names to the Prem? Or foreign names to the Championship? Oh, I'm sure it was every young Croatian boy's dream to play in the FA Cup against Blackburn. They just want to test themselves in the 'Best League in the World' (ha ha). Nothing to do with the monstrous wages being paid here.

And the idea that any one of us here or anywhere else would not take the offer of going to live in another country for a couple of years doing the same job, knowing that by the age of 35 you and your entire family would be looked after for the rest of your life and you'd never have to work again if you didn't want is priceless.

You know what, Antii.

I wouldn't take the offer.

The key here is context. Would I go to China for £x million per year to do the same job I do today (in real life)? Of course, for the reasons you suggest. But I'm not paid millions today, so it's a huge improvement.

If, however, I'm a professional sports earning millions each year already, playing in a more challenging, fulfilling league, and I was offered 3 times my salary to move to China, I wouldn't. The additional money is worthless really given the base it is increased from, which is already life enhancing for my family for the foreseeable future.

Your family is already secured. Costa is on enough now, and in the last 5 years, to live off for the rest of his life.
Diego Costa on 17:27 - Jan 16 with 1099 viewsmarkrtid

Diego Costa on 13:38 - Jan 14 by daveB

Possibly but you then have a position where he's unsettled with one eye on a move and his form tails off which most likely is what happend in the last few weeks with us. Probably best for everyone to do it now and we move on

I fully agree.
There was a time when I was pen pushing for Hounslow council at 26 grand a year but then came an offer from Hammersmith and Fulham for 42 grand.
I tell you. I lost all ability to hold a pen in my hand because I was so unsettled.

I moved to France.
Diego Costa on 17:30 - Jan 16 with 1092 viewsJamie

In fairness, how many gave a shit about Stoke v West Ham outside of their respective fanbases - and let's be honest even within those! - until it was being screened in living rooms from Bhutan to Boston.
Login to get fewer ads

Diego Costa on 17:51 - Jan 16 with 1078 viewsAntti_Heinola

Diego Costa on 14:20 - Jan 16 by Hunterhoop

You know what, Antii.

I wouldn't take the offer.

The key here is context. Would I go to China for £x million per year to do the same job I do today (in real life)? Of course, for the reasons you suggest. But I'm not paid millions today, so it's a huge improvement.

If, however, I'm a professional sports earning millions each year already, playing in a more challenging, fulfilling league, and I was offered 3 times my salary to move to China, I wouldn't. The additional money is worthless really given the base it is increased from, which is already life enhancing for my family for the foreseeable future.

Your family is already secured. Costa is on enough now, and in the last 5 years, to live off for the rest of his life.

Maybe - but very tough to say. I find we all live to our means. I remember earning £667 a month living in London when I first moved out of home and the idea of earning even £12k pa or £16k pa was amazing, and all I wanted. But as I went up the pay grade you adjust. If IO was 23, no, I don't think I'd go - or, at least, I don't think I would. But Costa is 28, already won a lot, still young enough to come back in 2 years...
Or maybe je just fancies living in China? Pretty incredible place. I know if I was a footballer I'd be taking the opportunity to live in as many places as I could - I'd be a right mercenary in that regard.

Bare bones.

Diego Costa on 17:54 - Jan 16 with 1067 viewsTacticalR

Diego Costa on 17:30 - Jan 16 by Jamie

In fairness, how many gave a shit about Stoke v West Ham outside of their respective fanbases - and let's be honest even within those! - until it was being screened in living rooms from Bhutan to Boston.

I don't think footballers should have to go to Stoke.

Air hostess clique

Diego Costa on 17:59 - Jan 16 with 1061 viewsmarkrtid

Diego Costa on 17:54 - Jan 16 by TacticalR

I don't think footballers should have to go to Stoke.

Just Coventry then,
Diego Costa on 20:08 - Jan 16 with 1008 viewsBostonR

They have over a billion people so they do have the audience. They have an unbelievable desire to host and win the World Cup and they have a bottomless pit of money to pull it all together. Agreed, right now that fixture doesn't float my boat but give them 5-10 years and that may well change.
Diego Costa on 20:52 - Jan 16 with 975 viewsdanehoop

After living in China for 5 years I can tell you that they do like and play football (used to play a lot of 5 aside with them when I lived there). There is also a strong following of the Premiershite and to a lesser extent La Liga and the Bundersleague and recognition of most the "stars" who play in each.

Key thing to remember with the Chinese is that they work to much longer timescales and plans than we do in the west. They will have set themselves 10-20 year timelines to achieve their goals and will imitate/copy and rip off successful business models where they see it, constantly looking to buy up intellectual property and rights through their purchases to allow them to make leaps in progress and tie up assets and using financial muscle to leverage their interests.

This is merely replicating that standard business model in the football world. Bought shares of clubs, then whole clubs in the Premiershite either directly or through proxies to understand how the game works. Now replicating that in developing teams, leagues, infrastructure and facilities in China. Need to bring up standards to hiring in foreign coaches - but using extensive "translations and management support teams" around the coaches to ensure there is knowledge transfer going on. Initially they were bringing in a few big name players who were semi retired already to boost the domestic game profile.

Now they are bringing in current big name foreign stars to further boost the quality of the product they want to sell to the potential 1.4Billion people in the domestic market, whilst exposing their own players to much higher quality tactics and skilled players than previously. You want to see the same players you saw overseas on TV last season here in China this season rather than wait until they were way past their prime? Well now you can.

The purchasing of British clubs is interesting as they use that to further study how the English game works and how the league business model works. They may develop further into almost creating feeder clubs for the Chinese leagues or formal twinning arrangements, Manchester Jiangsu United vs. Shanghai Shenua Stoke City anyone?

Seriously don't underestimate just how much interest there is in China on this, all with a view to making China a real football powerhouse in 20 years time. The changes in the world cup numbers are purely about getting the likes of China and India to the world cup finals.

Never knowingly understood

Diego Costa on 22:25 - Jan 16 with 934 viewsNorthernr

Diego Costa on 20:08 - Jan 16 by BostonR

They have over a billion people so they do have the audience. They have an unbelievable desire to host and win the World Cup and they have a bottomless pit of money to pull it all together. Agreed, right now that fixture doesn't float my boat but give them 5-10 years and that may well change.

"outside China" being the key words. I'm sure billions of people inside China will watch it but that'll be it. Artificial league full of mercenary cnts with no history behind it, no relatable stories or clubs, no nothing.

Look at the MLS. English speaking, closer to home, loads of players we know, place we're very familiar with, big names. Does anybody watch that sht outside the US?
Diego Costa on 11:22 - Jan 17 with 858 viewsrobith

Someone on twitter just pointed me in the direction of Chelsea's run in - they only play 5 teams in the top half (3 of which are Everton, Stoke & West Brom) in their last 13 games. They are going to walk the title Costa or no
Diego Costa on 18:20 - Jan 17 with 794 viewstimcocking

Indeed a greedy knut as you say.

At least he's doing it for the money, rather than claiming some sh!te about family reasons because his wife's tan is fading.
Diego Costa on 18:54 - Jan 17 with 782 viewsbob566

Ya ya toure turned down 450k a week to China according to radio today
Diego Costa on 19:50 - Jan 17 with 740 viewsFredManRave

Diego Costa on 18:54 - Jan 17 by bob566

Ya ya toure turned down 450k a week to China according to radio today

Apparantely they couldn't meet his birthday cake demands.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024