Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possession 17:02 - Jan 15 with 2950 viewsloftboy

When did this become greater than scoring goals?
It's all you hear, we lost but we did have 70% possession, utter bollocks, we had double Readings shots and corners,you can stick your tippy tippy football where the sun don't shine.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Possession on 14:13 - Jan 16 with 1115 viewsAntti_Heinola

Possession on 12:53 - Jan 16 by runningman75

The long ball is seen as an incorrect style of football and especially when aimlessly hoofing. However I remember Bardsley curling round long balls to Sir Les who would run from the centre to the right channel of the pitch and collect the ball. Turned defence into winning corners, throw ins etc.

Well, yes and no. There's the long ball of aimlessly getting it up- and near the pen box looking for knock downs and the long passes that Bard was great at and that Ned did brilliantly the other week. Two totally different things and Barca actually do a bit of that too!

Mourinho has actually gone the other way. He believes that when you have possession you are at your must vulnerable - you're committing players forward, players will come out of position etc, so he doesn't mind the other team having more possession. He think the more you have the more opportunity of getting caught. An interesting counter-view to it!

Bare bones.

Possession on 16:43 - Jan 16 with 1039 viewsfrancisbowles

Possession on 12:50 - Jan 16 by CamberleyR

In those days though you had the option of passing back to the goalkeeper who could pick it up. I'm sure a lot of those top sides in the 70s/80s used that tactic a lot, I know for one from watching old coverage that the Liverpool team of the late 70s and 80s certainly did.

Good call Camberley, I had been thinking about the goalie bit but forgot to include it. Hadn't thought about the Liverpool thing though. My recollection of them is that Clemence was the first sweeper keeper.
Possession on 17:00 - Jan 16 with 1003 viewsqueensparker

Possession on 12:50 - Jan 16 by CamberleyR

In those days though you had the option of passing back to the goalkeeper who could pick it up. I'm sure a lot of those top sides in the 70s/80s used that tactic a lot, I know for one from watching old coverage that the Liverpool team of the late 70s and 80s certainly did.

So true - everyone forgets this.

That Liverpool team of 80s/early 90s were formidable but after scoring or getting their usual dodgy penalty Alan Hansen et al then spent the rest of the game passing it back and forth to the keeper.

If you thought Swansea were boring to watch this was a whole new level of tedium
Possession on 17:12 - Jan 16 with 987 viewssexton

I like to think that Liverpool side was the sole reason the backpass rule was introduced.
Possession on 17:51 - Jan 16 with 956 viewsjohncharles

Really p!ssed me off when pundits creamed themselves over Hanson ( some still do ) all about him striding majestically out of defence and taking the ball upfield. I watched a lot of football at that time and believe me that was a super rare occurence. It was usually straight back to the keeper.
I always reckoned we should be let in to match at half price because we would only see 45 minutes of football and the other 45 minutes was Hanson pacing back to the keeper.

Strong and stable my arse.

Possession on 20:39 - Jan 16 with 893 views2Thomas2Bowles

Possession on 13:17 - Jan 16 by TacticalR

Don't forget our innovative tactic of whacking it up to Washington. That certainly helped us move away from possession football.

Yeah but he is crap

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Possession on 22:12 - Jan 16 with 853 viewsPunteR

Barcelona a few years ago were the best side I've seen in possession . They passed with purpose and kept a good tempo. Every player knew where their teammate was. It was jaw dropping stuff. Loads of clubs seemed to follow suit after that but unfortunately didn't have xavi, Iniesta, Messi pinging the ball about and it now gets a bit tedious to watch mediocre players trying to just keep hold of the ball.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Possession on 23:02 - Jan 16 with 828 viewsGroveR

Possession on 17:51 - Jan 16 by johncharles

Really p!ssed me off when pundits creamed themselves over Hanson ( some still do ) all about him striding majestically out of defence and taking the ball upfield. I watched a lot of football at that time and believe me that was a super rare occurence. It was usually straight back to the keeper.
I always reckoned we should be let in to match at half price because we would only see 45 minutes of football and the other 45 minutes was Hanson pacing back to the keeper.

Striding majestically through morrisons taking a multipack of nappies back to aisle 12.

Obnoxious cūnt as a pundit. Still prefer to keown or wright though.
Login to get fewer ads

Possession on 09:14 - Jan 17 with 756 viewsfrancisbowles

Funny how we think differently about pundits, I have always liked Hanson and Keown not too keen on Wright or Shearer although both have learned from mistakes and improved.

Always remember Shearer saying if he was Rooney he would put one on Ronaldo when they got back to Old Trafford, after the former was considered responsible for the latter's red card. Lineker, thinking he was off camera made a face similar to the Gascoigne tears moment.

Not sure we should have an ex footballer hosting MOTD, although he does it quite well. Some times it feels like a meeting of the strikers union. Far prefer Chappers on MOTD2.
Possession on 09:27 - Jan 17 with 741 viewssmegma

Possession on 09:14 - Jan 17 by francisbowles

Funny how we think differently about pundits, I have always liked Hanson and Keown not too keen on Wright or Shearer although both have learned from mistakes and improved.

Always remember Shearer saying if he was Rooney he would put one on Ronaldo when they got back to Old Trafford, after the former was considered responsible for the latter's red card. Lineker, thinking he was off camera made a face similar to the Gascoigne tears moment.

Not sure we should have an ex footballer hosting MOTD, although he does it quite well. Some times it feels like a meeting of the strikers union. Far prefer Chappers on MOTD2.

The only stat that counts is the result, end of.

Literally every report mentions stats like how many miles a player has run, how many tackles etc..... Just before Christmas I read a stat along the lines of Liverpool conceded a goal in the second half for the first on a Thursday for 20 seasons. Now what were they trying to indicate?? In all that time they only probably played on a Thursday about 6 times. Earlier this season Brentford beat us for the first time in 50 plus years.The reports forgot to mention the fact it was only about 10th game in half a century. All stats are bollocks. And how many times do I have to watch MOTD to read that stat on the screen that Alan Shearer is the Premier Leagues top scorer???

Did you know Barcelona have never won at Loftus Road??
Possession on 09:33 - Jan 17 with 735 viewspaulparker

the Sporting world on SKY is all about Stats , whenever your watching Darts, Cricket, Football or Rugby, its rammed down your throat
even on sky sports news they have to show you stats on championship manager when a player makes a transfer its , gone mad
we live in a football world where sideways passing is king, where a striker shouldn't be a striker, where wingers are fullbacks and not allowed to ping in first time crosses , keepers have to be sweepers or they are sh1t
and everyone has to have pace and be built like pogba

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Possession on 18:20 - Jan 17 with 685 viewstimcocking

Stats are only of importance to the media and people who don't understand football.
Possession on 10:25 - Jan 18 with 595 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Possession on 22:12 - Jan 16 by PunteR

Barcelona a few years ago were the best side I've seen in possession . They passed with purpose and kept a good tempo. Every player knew where their teammate was. It was jaw dropping stuff. Loads of clubs seemed to follow suit after that but unfortunately didn't have xavi, Iniesta, Messi pinging the ball about and it now gets a bit tedious to watch mediocre players trying to just keep hold of the ball.

Bang on, PunteR.

I wish I was old enough to remember the Dutch National team of the 70's, but I'm not. Apart from maybe them, Barca of the Guardiola era were by far, by far the most effective and exciting possession team of my lifetime. They just made me chuckle and laugh so many times with their technique, tempo and audacity.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Possession on 11:23 - Jan 18 with 561 viewssuperstan

Possession on 20:35 - Jan 15 by bosh67

The Reading game reminds me of the time we played Swansea under Rodgers at Loftus Road. They had 80% of possession that night. They moved the ball sideways and every so often, we nicked the ball off them, and scored. We won 3-0, Adel tore them a new one, without having to do much.

I was at the Swansea game, never leave my seat until half time whistle blows normally but I was so bored I went down about 5 mins early and missed our first goal if I remember correctly.
Possession on 20:13 - Jan 18 with 483 viewsfrancisbowles

Think that was our last good memory of Akos who whacked one in that night not too mention Diakite who was superb.
Possession on 22:13 - Jan 18 with 272 viewsNorthernr

Done a piece for AKUTRs (out this weekend) on exactly this </plug>
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024