Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possession 17:02 - Jan 15 with 2923 viewsloftboy

When did this become greater than scoring goals?
It's all you hear, we lost but we did have 70% possession, utter bollocks, we had double Readings shots and corners,you can stick your tippy tippy football where the sun don't shine.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Possession on 17:39 - Jan 15 with 2609 viewsQPR_John

A rediculous stat at the very least to mean anything at all only possession in the opponents half should count
Possession on 18:07 - Jan 15 with 2553 views2Thomas2Bowles

Some foreign nonsense, in my day we wacked it up field asap

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Possession on 18:19 - Jan 15 with 2517 viewsTGRRRSSS

Useful if you can do it, kinda used by many managers to deflect and gain some kind of moral victory when things don't go your way.

Many fans also buy into it and see what they want to.
Fakes was a classic case of that the other night.
Possession on 18:46 - Jan 15 with 2455 viewsRoller

Man City had 71% of the possession in their match at Everton today.

They'd probably agree with you that it is over-rated; they lost 4- 0 !!!!
Possession on 18:56 - Jan 15 with 2433 viewsBoston

works for some, doesn't for others.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Possession on 19:01 - Jan 15 with 2424 viewsjohncharles

Used to get charged but these days yo get away with a caution.

Strong and stable my arse.

Possession on 19:18 - Jan 15 with 2385 viewsJuzzie

Pointless stat.

Reading had huge possesion last Thursday, lost
Liverpool had huge possesion v Burnley earlier in the season, lost
Derby most possesion in the 2014 play off final, lost

And so it goes on.

QPR v Swansea boxing day circa 2010. Lots of possesion but god it was boring. Played it left and right across the line of defence or line of midfield and only pushed it forwrads when they saw the opposition had fallen asleep. Result? They lost 3-0.

"We had lots of possesion" is just to cover up the fact a team got beat.

There's only one stat that counts, the final score. Everything elese is meaningless.
Possession on 19:33 - Jan 15 with 2343 viewsterryb

Possession on 18:46 - Jan 15 by Roller

Man City had 71% of the possession in their match at Everton today.

They'd probably agree with you that it is over-rated; they lost 4- 0 !!!!

Perhaps it's time to start querying the theory that you can't concede when you have the ball.

Especially if your a centre half for West Brom or Manchester City!
Login to get fewer ads

Possession on 19:53 - Jan 15 with 2309 viewsRoller

Possession on 19:33 - Jan 15 by terryb

Perhaps it's time to start querying the theory that you can't concede when you have the ball.

Especially if your a centre half for West Brom or Manchester City!

As we all know, we are in most danger when we have a throw-on.
Possession on 20:20 - Jan 15 with 2262 viewseasthertsr

The bottom line is, the only stat that matters is THE FINAL SCORE!
Possession on 20:35 - Jan 15 with 2235 viewsbosh67

The Reading game reminds me of the time we played Swansea under Rodgers at Loftus Road. They had 80% of possession that night. They moved the ball sideways and every so often, we nicked the ball off them, and scored. We won 3-0, Adel tore them a new one, without having to do much.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Possession on 08:54 - Jan 16 with 2037 viewsstowmarketrange

It's all being used to justify the stupid Sky analysis after every game.They even break it down into how many duels each player has won.How the f@ck do you measure a duel between players?
Another stupid idea we've got from the yanks and their sports.
Possession on 09:18 - Jan 16 with 2008 viewsfrancisbowles

Don Revie's mantra was possession is king. If you can't pass it forward, pass it sideways. If you can't pass it sideways pass it back.

It worked pretty well for his Leeds team but they did finish runners up a lot.

If you have the ball, the other team can't score. Fact!

I think what is tipping the balance in modern football is the athleticism and fitness of the players which enables them to press midfielders and defenders constantly and counter very quickly.
Possession on 12:14 - Jan 16 with 1932 viewsPinnerPaul

Possession on 17:39 - Jan 15 by QPR_John

A rediculous stat at the very least to mean anything at all only possession in the opponents half should count

Thats a really good point John - sure that stat IS available, would be good to see it published.
Possession on 12:19 - Jan 16 with 1915 viewsichbinnaughty

It has become grotesquely misrepresented in the media.
However, possession is a significant stat when it represents the two key benefits of having possession; namely
1) the oppo can't hurt you if they don't have the ball; and
2) if you retain and use possession intelligently then you tire the hell out of the oppo, and hence you should be able to 'open them up' in the latter stages of the game and create more goal-scoring chances.

Sorry to be uber boring and state the bleedin obvious. I am grumpy today.
Possession on 12:21 - Jan 16 with 1911 viewsJuzzie

Possession on 12:14 - Jan 16 by PinnerPaul

Thats a really good point John - sure that stat IS available, would be good to see it published.

Swanseola would be about 5%!
Possession on 12:22 - Jan 16 with 1904 viewsAntti_Heinola

Having said that, you rarely see a team get relegated who dominates possession in most of their games all season. Maybe it doesn't always win titles, but you'll likely win more than you lose. We can laugh at Reading, but they were third in the league and had only lost once at home all season. By contrast, we've only won 3 at home all season.

Totally agree that it can be dull though - not always, but I'd cut Stam some slack - still early days there. And Rodgers' Liverpool side were hugely entertaining. Also agree it's a fairly meaningless stat, as is 'pass completion rate' - obviously some bloke at the bottom of a diamond playing 5 yard passes sideways and backwards will have a far better 'pass completion rate' than a No.10 who's taking risks and playing percentages to try and make something special happen - it's incomparable. A bit like Chery being chasisted for not having enouh assists - actually, his 'chance creation' was one of the highest in the league - not his fault if we're not putting them away!

Bare bones.

Possession on 12:42 - Jan 16 with 1866 viewsR_from_afar

Warnock made an insightful comment on possession, he said something along the lines of not wanting his teams to take 20 passes to get the ball into the opposition's half.

It's important for players to be comfortable on the ball - and frankly, when I play, I am not - but at the same time, the more passes it takes you to get into dangerous areas, the more chance of giving the ball away. It's definitely overrated and Leicester (last season) and A Madrid are good examples of excellent teams which manage to flourish without a huge amount of possession.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Possession on 12:48 - Jan 16 with 1859 viewsBrightonhoop

Possession on 12:19 - Jan 16 by ichbinnaughty

It has become grotesquely misrepresented in the media.
However, possession is a significant stat when it represents the two key benefits of having possession; namely
1) the oppo can't hurt you if they don't have the ball; and
2) if you retain and use possession intelligently then you tire the hell out of the oppo, and hence you should be able to 'open them up' in the latter stages of the game and create more goal-scoring chances.

Sorry to be uber boring and state the bleedin obvious. I am grumpy today.

That's only half of the story though, if you cannot contain the oppo for the percentage period they do have possesion and score, you lose. AKA Reading away.
Possession on 12:48 - Jan 16 with 1856 viewsjohncharles

Possession on 08:54 - Jan 16 by stowmarketrange

It's all being used to justify the stupid Sky analysis after every game.They even break it down into how many duels each player has won.How the f@ck do you measure a duel between players?
Another stupid idea we've got from the yanks and their sports.

I've always been suspicious of how accurate these stats are. Just something to make the pundits sound clever.

"The things that pass for knowledge I don't understand"
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 12:52]

Strong and stable my arse.

Possession on 12:50 - Jan 16 with 1836 viewsCamberleyR

Possession on 09:18 - Jan 16 by francisbowles

Don Revie's mantra was possession is king. If you can't pass it forward, pass it sideways. If you can't pass it sideways pass it back.

It worked pretty well for his Leeds team but they did finish runners up a lot.

If you have the ball, the other team can't score. Fact!

I think what is tipping the balance in modern football is the athleticism and fitness of the players which enables them to press midfielders and defenders constantly and counter very quickly.

In those days though you had the option of passing back to the goalkeeper who could pick it up. I'm sure a lot of those top sides in the 70s/80s used that tactic a lot, I know for one from watching old coverage that the Liverpool team of the late 70s and 80s certainly did.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Possession on 12:53 - Jan 16 with 1825 viewsrunningman75

The long ball is seen as an incorrect style of football and especially when aimlessly hoofing. However I remember Bardsley curling round long balls to Sir Les who would run from the centre to the right channel of the pitch and collect the ball. Turned defence into winning corners, throw ins etc.
Possession on 13:05 - Jan 16 with 1797 viewssexton

Remember Leon Britton, the Xavi from the Valleys? For a while the stats showed him to have made more passes than anybody in Europe, or perhaps the world. More than the real Xavi anyway. Most of them were three yard square passes to his centre backs.
Possession on 13:17 - Jan 16 with 1768 viewsTacticalR

Possession on 18:07 - Jan 15 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Some foreign nonsense, in my day we wacked it up field asap

Don't forget our innovative tactic of whacking it up to Washington. That certainly helped us move away from possession football.

Air hostess clique

Possession on 14:00 - Jan 16 with 1700 viewsJuzzie

Possession on 13:05 - Jan 16 by sexton

Remember Leon Britton, the Xavi from the Valleys? For a while the stats showed him to have made more passes than anybody in Europe, or perhaps the world. More than the real Xavi anyway. Most of them were three yard square passes to his centre backs.

Same with Joe Allen. Brendan Rodgers paid Swansea stupid money to take him to Liverpool. All Allen would do is pass it short, but it racked up his pass-completion stats. One game you could see Gerrard getting pi$$ed off because he made no decisive forward passes, just passed it to whoever was close by to make the attacking pass, which may or may not have paid off .
Allen seems to have come good of late now he's at Stoke but didn't warrant such a big move to Liverpool IMO.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024