Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn 09:30 - Jan 16 with 6221 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fascinating article I just came across through FB. Not sure what to make of it to be honest, but thought I'd share it anyway.

https://markdoran.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/pannell-beaters/

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:06 - Jan 16 with 3451 viewsAntti_Heinola

Interesting, but seems very confused.
So, on the one hand the supposedly anti-establishment figure of Trump (a bizarre enough label in itself - a multi-millionaire who does what he wants, when he wants, says what he wants and was for years very close to the Clintons is anti-establishment? How?) has succeeded despite the evil media. But Corbyn is being shut down precisely because of the evil media - in this case, the BBC, regularly bashed for being full of liberal elites - the same Corbyn who is regularly accused of being part of that london liberal elite.
The images are definitely quite interesting though, although I suspect more done as a gag for viewers than anything more sinister, and I'm not sure there's much wrong with that and follows a long tradition of papers catching funny words behind politicians or framing them so it looks like they have horns.
He refers to Farage and I think the BBC did give him too much weight, but is he saying that they favoured Farage and are anti-Corbyn? I struggle to see that.
He's right that some of Trump's policies and pronouncements are undoubtedly correct. But when the rest of the press conference was basically a man yet again flailing around, hitting out, showing a briefcase full of files that cleared him but that no one was allowed to see, I'm not surprised the media focused on that. Trump may have some good ideas, but he has a lot of terrible and very dangerous ones. I'm not sure what point he's making.

Bare bones.

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:23 - Jan 16 with 3407 viewsClive_Anderson

"So, on the one hand the supposedly anti-establishment figure of Trump (a bizarre enough label in itself - a multi-millionaire who does what he wants, when he wants, says what he wants and was for years very close to the Clintons is anti-establishment? How?) "
I don't understand the inability to believe that Trump is anti-establishment when literally the entire establishment including the government, media and both US parties tried to stop him getting the presidency. The fact that he's a multi-millionaire or does what he wants has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The BBC is stuffed full of liberal elistists (I imagine there was barely a vote among them for Brexit despite 52% of the country voting for it). But Corbyn is too bonkers even for them. Does he have any ideas that aren't from the 1970s hard left handbook?
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:28 - Jan 16 with 3374 viewsisawqpratwcity

Sorry, Brian, but I was not impressed with the bloke. I didn't bother with the Corbyn stuff, I thought he was basically only using that to illustrate what a shocking news perverter the BBC is.

He complained that Trump didn't get credit for saying he'd take on the drug companies. Fair enough, but tbf Trump didn't give any detail except to say that there was very little bidding and that he was going to start bidding.

I don't see how any journalist can let a president elect accuse journalists of purveying fake news without subjecting his accusations to serious scrutiny.

And while I'm giving Trump a hard time, what is the story with the applause?

"TRUMP: You know, the only one that cares about my tax returns are the reporters, OK? They’re the only who ask.

QUESTION: You don’t think the American public is concerned about it?

TRUMP: No I don’t think so. I won, when I became president. No, I don’t think they care at all. I don’t think they care at all.

(APPLAUSE)"

Don't tell me that that was supposed to be the journalists applauding. What is next, the Cheer Squad gets equal time to ask 'Dorothy Dixers' and applaud the replies?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:35 - Jan 16 with 3367 viewsFDC

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:23 - Jan 16 by Clive_Anderson

"So, on the one hand the supposedly anti-establishment figure of Trump (a bizarre enough label in itself - a multi-millionaire who does what he wants, when he wants, says what he wants and was for years very close to the Clintons is anti-establishment? How?) "
I don't understand the inability to believe that Trump is anti-establishment when literally the entire establishment including the government, media and both US parties tried to stop him getting the presidency. The fact that he's a multi-millionaire or does what he wants has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The BBC is stuffed full of liberal elistists (I imagine there was barely a vote among them for Brexit despite 52% of the country voting for it). But Corbyn is too bonkers even for them. Does he have any ideas that aren't from the 1970s hard left handbook?

Of course Trump is anti-establishment. You can see this in the current efforts to find something to impeach him with, and these fantasies about Russian intervention in the election results.

The BBC may be full of liberal elites; why would that mean they should support (moderately) left wing figures like Corbyn? For someone who only ever seems to surface for political arguments, you seem to conflate "liberal" with "left" an awful lot.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:39 - Jan 16 with 3338 viewsessextaxiboy

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:06 - Jan 16 by Antti_Heinola

Interesting, but seems very confused.
So, on the one hand the supposedly anti-establishment figure of Trump (a bizarre enough label in itself - a multi-millionaire who does what he wants, when he wants, says what he wants and was for years very close to the Clintons is anti-establishment? How?) has succeeded despite the evil media. But Corbyn is being shut down precisely because of the evil media - in this case, the BBC, regularly bashed for being full of liberal elites - the same Corbyn who is regularly accused of being part of that london liberal elite.
The images are definitely quite interesting though, although I suspect more done as a gag for viewers than anything more sinister, and I'm not sure there's much wrong with that and follows a long tradition of papers catching funny words behind politicians or framing them so it looks like they have horns.
He refers to Farage and I think the BBC did give him too much weight, but is he saying that they favoured Farage and are anti-Corbyn? I struggle to see that.
He's right that some of Trump's policies and pronouncements are undoubtedly correct. But when the rest of the press conference was basically a man yet again flailing around, hitting out, showing a briefcase full of files that cleared him but that no one was allowed to see, I'm not surprised the media focused on that. Trump may have some good ideas, but he has a lot of terrible and very dangerous ones. I'm not sure what point he's making.

They are shutting him down because he is a lame duck , they want him out and someone else in there that they can "support"

A bit like BostonR wanting Rangers to lose to get Ollie out ............
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:44 - Jan 16 with 3321 viewshoof_hearted

Why is liberal elite an insult?

If everybody was liberal elite then all wars would be replaced with a dirty look and a sneer, all poverty would be eliminated and renamed "shabby chic", all email conspiracy blogs would be treated with the disdain that they deserve and decent wine and beer would be served at QPR instead of festival strength fizzy p!sswater.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:56 - Jan 16 with 3292 viewsBrightonhoop

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:23 - Jan 16 by Clive_Anderson

Trumps mad, he wakes up in his gold gilded palace in Trump Tower and tweets how he is a victim. If it was not the next president it would be laughable. The Chinese are going to fry him. He wont front his tax situation because it's full of holes that would see him impeached. He owed money all over the lace and is settling claims on defrauding Trump University students to the tune of millions. The bloke is just a wrong 'un, lunatic.

On Corbyn, very little detail gets through the media, BBC have been seriously reprimanded for bias against him. On his ideas, one I heard this weekend bout taking failing care homes into State control seems sound, they cost billions in State funding anyway with no excuses for neglect or failure, so it seems sound. On the railways, he'll nationalise them, make them work and turn profits back into the Exchecor. Southern, failing miserably, taking billions out in profits for themselves and shareholders, were given £50 Mil of State money before Xmas whilst the NHS sinks. Again seems sound to me. I always thought it would cost a fortune to buy these rotten companies out, but it turns out he can just take them on end of franchise date. He's a very clever bloke with his heart in the right place and ideas too, to much improve life for millions in the UK. And then there's Theresa May..... everytime she opens her gob the national currency falls off a cliff. Someone gag her! ffs.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:58 - Jan 16 with 3281 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I've made my thoughts on Corbyn clear and don't want another too and fro and by no means think there is a deliberate anti Corbyn conspiracy but some of this stuff is interesting.

I don't think there is bias at a corporate level at the BBC, but there definitely is a personal one, as BBC producers don't tend to be users of food banks or on zero hour contracts.

Also the BBC need to keep the government at the time happy to keep their license fee. Was probably the case under New Labour too.

[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 12:10]
Login to get fewer ads

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 12:06 - Jan 16 with 3240 viewsClive_Anderson

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:56 - Jan 16 by Brightonhoop

Trumps mad, he wakes up in his gold gilded palace in Trump Tower and tweets how he is a victim. If it was not the next president it would be laughable. The Chinese are going to fry him. He wont front his tax situation because it's full of holes that would see him impeached. He owed money all over the lace and is settling claims on defrauding Trump University students to the tune of millions. The bloke is just a wrong 'un, lunatic.

On Corbyn, very little detail gets through the media, BBC have been seriously reprimanded for bias against him. On his ideas, one I heard this weekend bout taking failing care homes into State control seems sound, they cost billions in State funding anyway with no excuses for neglect or failure, so it seems sound. On the railways, he'll nationalise them, make them work and turn profits back into the Exchecor. Southern, failing miserably, taking billions out in profits for themselves and shareholders, were given £50 Mil of State money before Xmas whilst the NHS sinks. Again seems sound to me. I always thought it would cost a fortune to buy these rotten companies out, but it turns out he can just take them on end of franchise date. He's a very clever bloke with his heart in the right place and ideas too, to much improve life for millions in the UK. And then there's Theresa May..... everytime she opens her gob the national currency falls off a cliff. Someone gag her! ffs.

Trump does come across as a lunatic half the time. I'm hoping he just likes to gob off without thinking. He's obviously not stupid as he turned millions into billions and got the presidency with literally everyone against him.

The trouble with Corbyn is that I can't see anything original that he's come up with that hasn't been supported by the hard left since the 70s. Rail nationalisation was disastrous in terms of passenger numbers and customer satisfaction last time, why would it be different this time?

And I can't agree that he's intelligent, he left school with two Es at A-level then failed a degree in trade unionism at North London Polytechnic.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 12:07 - Jan 16 with 3235 viewsBklynRanger

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:28 - Jan 16 by isawqpratwcity

Sorry, Brian, but I was not impressed with the bloke. I didn't bother with the Corbyn stuff, I thought he was basically only using that to illustrate what a shocking news perverter the BBC is.

He complained that Trump didn't get credit for saying he'd take on the drug companies. Fair enough, but tbf Trump didn't give any detail except to say that there was very little bidding and that he was going to start bidding.

I don't see how any journalist can let a president elect accuse journalists of purveying fake news without subjecting his accusations to serious scrutiny.

And while I'm giving Trump a hard time, what is the story with the applause?

"TRUMP: You know, the only one that cares about my tax returns are the reporters, OK? They’re the only who ask.

QUESTION: You don’t think the American public is concerned about it?

TRUMP: No I don’t think so. I won, when I became president. No, I don’t think they care at all. I don’t think they care at all.

(APPLAUSE)"

Don't tell me that that was supposed to be the journalists applauding. What is next, the Cheer Squad gets equal time to ask 'Dorothy Dixers' and applaud the replies?

I think VB the applause was coming from his family/staff/lackies to his right. Highly cringe worthy.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 12:32 - Jan 16 with 3158 viewsBrightonhoop

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 12:06 - Jan 16 by Clive_Anderson

Trump does come across as a lunatic half the time. I'm hoping he just likes to gob off without thinking. He's obviously not stupid as he turned millions into billions and got the presidency with literally everyone against him.

The trouble with Corbyn is that I can't see anything original that he's come up with that hasn't been supported by the hard left since the 70s. Rail nationalisation was disastrous in terms of passenger numbers and customer satisfaction last time, why would it be different this time?

And I can't agree that he's intelligent, he left school with two Es at A-level then failed a degree in trade unionism at North London Polytechnic.

Agree on Trump,Clive, the problem is he doesn't engage brain before gobbing off the Chinese already have two very good reasons for going nuclear on him, and us all. Saying he wants to block the south China Sea Islands and cranking up Taiwan wont be tolerated and could literally end in Armageddon. Because Trump is too thick to shut up. He's extremely dangerous.
On his business 'success' he was born into serious money and I think anyone with that opportunity could turn it into billions. If he'd have sunk millions into London property in the 1950's he'd be sat on billions right now. He's also lost it 6 times, 6 bankruptcies so he's not that bright. He did well convincing all he was a man of the people to get elected, same as Brexit really, and I dont blame him or Farage for taking an opportunity, that was presented by the arrogance of established politics that has largely departed from what people want and concentrated on feathering their own nests at the expense of all. The 'drain the swamp' comments were very clever and highly effective, striking an absolute chord that saw him elected, but he has an army of very clever people behind him working on those things so they cant all be attributed to him, the Breitbart news blokes in articular, as much as I despise them as sub-humans, they are very clever and highly effective.

The problem with the Railways in the UK is that they are worse then ever, worse than the BR outfit when it was privatised back in the early 90's. And absurdly still taking public monies for private entities whilst the NHS is collapsing through lack of funding. Crazy. So I'm absolutely with Corbyn on that one.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 12:36]
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 12:42 - Jan 16 with 3108 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Interesting posts as ever. I don't know enough to have a view myself but I learn a lot from you lot.

I do like and admire Corbyn but I don't follow his coverage enough to know whether he's viable.

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 12:57 - Jan 16 with 3068 viewsClive_Anderson

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 12:32 - Jan 16 by Brightonhoop

Agree on Trump,Clive, the problem is he doesn't engage brain before gobbing off the Chinese already have two very good reasons for going nuclear on him, and us all. Saying he wants to block the south China Sea Islands and cranking up Taiwan wont be tolerated and could literally end in Armageddon. Because Trump is too thick to shut up. He's extremely dangerous.
On his business 'success' he was born into serious money and I think anyone with that opportunity could turn it into billions. If he'd have sunk millions into London property in the 1950's he'd be sat on billions right now. He's also lost it 6 times, 6 bankruptcies so he's not that bright. He did well convincing all he was a man of the people to get elected, same as Brexit really, and I dont blame him or Farage for taking an opportunity, that was presented by the arrogance of established politics that has largely departed from what people want and concentrated on feathering their own nests at the expense of all. The 'drain the swamp' comments were very clever and highly effective, striking an absolute chord that saw him elected, but he has an army of very clever people behind him working on those things so they cant all be attributed to him, the Breitbart news blokes in articular, as much as I despise them as sub-humans, they are very clever and highly effective.

The problem with the Railways in the UK is that they are worse then ever, worse than the BR outfit when it was privatised back in the early 90's. And absurdly still taking public monies for private entities whilst the NHS is collapsing through lack of funding. Crazy. So I'm absolutely with Corbyn on that one.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 12:36]

It's a worry that Trump will say the wrong thing at the wrong time and cause tensions with other nuclear powers. Hopefully he'll tone it down. Mind you he seems to be defusing things with Russia and the meeting with Putin in Iceland is a good thing. Clinton seemed determined to start WW3 with them.

Apparently there are 142,000 people in the US worth more than $25m, but only 594 billionaires so I don't think it is that easy to become a billionaire even with such a head start.

The railways have been shite for decades, but in my experience they seem a lot better than under British Rail. Passenger numbers have doubled since privatisation so it can't be all that bad.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 14:45 - Jan 16 with 2861 viewsMrSheen

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 11:58 - Jan 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

I've made my thoughts on Corbyn clear and don't want another too and fro and by no means think there is a deliberate anti Corbyn conspiracy but some of this stuff is interesting.

I don't think there is bias at a corporate level at the BBC, but there definitely is a personal one, as BBC producers don't tend to be users of food banks or on zero hour contracts.

Also the BBC need to keep the government at the time happy to keep their license fee. Was probably the case under New Labour too.

[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 12:10]

News providers want to create an opinion of authority? Blow me. If you want frivolous news, there's plenty of places to get it - TMZ, e!Channel, Heat Magazine...
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 14:48 - Jan 16 with 2849 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 14:45 - Jan 16 by MrSheen

News providers want to create an opinion of authority? Blow me. If you want frivolous news, there's plenty of places to get it - TMZ, e!Channel, Heat Magazine...

Apologies, what does opinion of authority mean?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 14:57]
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:00 - Jan 16 with 2811 viewshoof_hearted

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 12:42 - Jan 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Interesting posts as ever. I don't know enough to have a view myself but I learn a lot from you lot.

I do like and admire Corbyn but I don't follow his coverage enough to know whether he's viable.

Bless you for giving other people credit for having views that are worthy of taking notice of. I'd like to think that the lesson learnt is not to trawl the internet looking for weirdo's blogs.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:06 - Jan 16 with 2793 viewsMrSheen

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 14:48 - Jan 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Apologies, what does opinion of authority mean?
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 14:57]

Sorry, meant to be position but must have fallen victim to a spell checker.

Haven't seen the video as I am at work, but Greg Philo and the Glasgow Media Group were banging this drum when I was an undergrad 30 years ago so I think the dastardly hidden hand has been on display for quite a while.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:10 - Jan 16 with 2772 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:06 - Jan 16 by MrSheen

Sorry, meant to be position but must have fallen victim to a spell checker.

Haven't seen the video as I am at work, but Greg Philo and the Glasgow Media Group were banging this drum when I was an undergrad 30 years ago so I think the dastardly hidden hand has been on display for quite a while.

Ah, well it goes into more detail when you watch the video. Big difference between a debate chairperson in authority and the disciplinarian in authority.

Again, not a believer in conspiracy theories but maybe a handful of personal bias in there.

Chomsky had an interesting take on it with Andrew Marr. It's how I see it anyway:

[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 15:12]
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:11 - Jan 16 with 2766 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:00 - Jan 16 by hoof_hearted

Bless you for giving other people credit for having views that are worthy of taking notice of. I'd like to think that the lesson learnt is not to trawl the internet looking for weirdo's blogs.

Ha! Fair point, I suppose.

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:26 - Jan 16 with 2711 viewsrobith

My brief dalliances with the PR world highlighted to me the big problem - news is lazy and ratings obsessed. Their main interest in Corbyn lies that he will often go off message and say something weird - easy headlines about weird corbyn, no need to digest what he actually said.

Then people like Trump, Farage say anything they feel like which makes "interesting" TV. I doubt anyone at the BBC likes Farage, but i bet they see numbers spike when he's on QT and certainly when they post clips to facebook the day after so book him all the bloody time.

Been really peeved by Kimmel doing anti Trump stuff this week - mate you had him in front of you on your show and patted him on the head FFS
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:28 - Jan 16 with 2706 viewshoof_hearted

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 14:45 - Jan 16 by MrSheen

Never mind about opinion of authority being position of authority. I was more worried about having to blow you for frivolous news. That's how Stuart Hall started.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 15:55 - Jan 16 with 2645 viewsWestbourneR

What always gets me and what is so unbelievably STUPID about all these pathetic blogs is that for any of these 'government/corporation' ideas to be true then the 10,000s of people working for them need to be willing 'in on it' too for it to work.

So the red star on Corbyn's head would need to have been place intentionally on his head by a BBC title graphics guy who is in league with the BBC's agenda to undermine and discredit Corbyn. In truth - he's a title graphics guy with no agenda and who happened to move the star there by accident. He is, surprisingly, not one of Dr Evil's henchmen.

As so it goes on about 'the media' etc. The media is populated by normal people with normal intentions.

It's the same 911. Do you have any idea how many evil people working in unison in the US government it would take to purposefully slaughter many 1000s of their own citizens - and not a word of it to get out? It's f**king stupid.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 16:11 - Jan 16 with 2617 viewsNorthernr

The really depressing thing is all this "Jeremy's not useless he's getting a bad deal from the press" "it's a BBC conspiracy" and stories from the Canary titled "The jaw dropping moment Charlie Brooker character-assasinated Jeremy" is going to continue on and on and on until the next election. Meantime the Conservatives are able to do pretty much as they like, including on Brexit, including stuffing up the NHS, including stuffing up the railways, completely unopposed because they know they'll win the next election regardless.

Then when he does lose the election, which he will, that's another 4-5 years of them doing whatever the hell they like while the "he wasn't useless he got a bad deal from the press" "he would have won had it not been for the BBC conspiracy" "the jaw dropping moment Charlie Brooker rigged the election" stuff carries on for years into the future. We basically condemned to eight years of Conservative rule while people blither on about whether Channel 4 have got people sitting in the right chairs for their news debate.

We need effective opposition for the whole country. Not the MP for Islington, the MP for Brent and the MP for Hackney living out their 1970s political fantasies.
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 16:52 - Jan 16 with 2546 viewsbob566

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 16:11 - Jan 16 by Northernr

The really depressing thing is all this "Jeremy's not useless he's getting a bad deal from the press" "it's a BBC conspiracy" and stories from the Canary titled "The jaw dropping moment Charlie Brooker character-assasinated Jeremy" is going to continue on and on and on until the next election. Meantime the Conservatives are able to do pretty much as they like, including on Brexit, including stuffing up the NHS, including stuffing up the railways, completely unopposed because they know they'll win the next election regardless.

Then when he does lose the election, which he will, that's another 4-5 years of them doing whatever the hell they like while the "he wasn't useless he got a bad deal from the press" "he would have won had it not been for the BBC conspiracy" "the jaw dropping moment Charlie Brooker rigged the election" stuff carries on for years into the future. We basically condemned to eight years of Conservative rule while people blither on about whether Channel 4 have got people sitting in the right chairs for their news debate.

We need effective opposition for the whole country. Not the MP for Islington, the MP for Brent and the MP for Hackney living out their 1970s political fantasies.

over here in Ireland in the last general election we had a girl run who promised that if she was returned by her constituency that she would allow the members of her constituency to vote in parliament through her.

e.g. say there is a referendum on abortion or privatising healthcare you could effectively vote online for how you want it and then she would go and vote in government on what her constituents voted for.

I thought it was a novel idea. Probably not new and suggested elsewhere around the world no doubt. It was novel for Ireland though.

How did she get on. In a constituency of say 50K voters she managed to get 300 votes.

So like you guys we have two main parties over here and everybody is always going to vote them in and then f***in moan when they do something they don't like.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 17:36]
The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 17:09 - Jan 16 with 2506 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and Jeremy Corbyn on 16:11 - Jan 16 by Northernr

Which 1970s policies in particular don't you like because I haven't seen you mention any?

Please watch this for a non scientific example of my point:

[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 17:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024