Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U18s and U23s 19:56 - Jan 16 with 2644 viewsbosh67

Getting thrashed on a regular basis. I think the coaching staff work hard but what exactly are they coaching these kids? I still think the level of coaching in the club is one of the main issues it has.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

U18s and U23s on 20:01 - Jan 16 with 2365 viewsRangersw12

How many youth team players have we had in the 1st team in the last 6 months ?

How many did we have when we won trophys at u18 level ?

Forget the results it's about developing the players and a path way to the first team
U18s and U23s on 20:01 - Jan 16 with 2364 viewsJeff

to paraphrase Hunterhoop's post

Lumley
Kpekawa (sold for a fee)
Furlong
Hamalainen
Kakay
Doughty
Shodipo
Manning
Eze
Comley
Grego Cox
Pretrasso (full debut, he made one sub appearance before)

Prohouly and Paul have also made the bench.

That's since Jan 2015.

Defence Rests.

Can we not knock it?

U18s and U23s on 20:04 - Jan 16 with 2349 viewsNorthernr

youth team is there to provide players for the first team. Whatever they're doing, it's working.
U18s and U23s on 20:12 - Jan 16 with 2320 viewsMedwayR

U18s and U23s on 20:01 - Jan 16 by Rangersw12

How many youth team players have we had in the 1st team in the last 6 months ?

How many did we have when we won trophys at u18 level ?

Forget the results it's about developing the players and a path way to the first team

Exactly. Look at the set-up Ramsey & Ferdinand worked in at Spurs, I wouldn't mind having players like Kane, Mason, Livermore, Townsend, Carroll, Caulker coming through for us although I'm not expecting that & certainly not anytime soon. The youth teams winning games is a bonus but that's all, the main focus is producing players for the first team.

Poll: Who’s better?

U18s and U23s on 20:21 - Jan 16 with 2287 viewsLblock

Let's just say Shopido thetorpedo and Ryan Manning rip up the back nine of the season.
This could happen

Say we "regretfully" have to accept Premiershit offers of £10mill each...okay let'ssay £5mill....alright...it's QPR with our great negotiating skills...£3mill each and a half sucked gobstopper.
£6mill in = amazing job done lads keep on doing it.

Scenario number 2 ---- those wo crak on plus others get blooded and make up say 5 or 6 of the squad. Even bl00dy better! This in turnsends out a signal that we as a club are getting back on an even keel, good plac to be as a promisiing yoot player and we can start chipping away at Bungles mega debt.

You dont win or lose much at U18's, U23 etc but if you can produce even 2 highly thought of players every year or other year, in London, then for me you're doing well.

Hats off here.

Imagine how good they'd be with that state of the art facility???

Clarity moment...... did I just give Benny Ramsey massive kudos and credit???!!! Nurse!! Nurse!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

U18s and U23s on 20:21 - Jan 16 with 2286 viewsbosh67

U18s and U23s on 20:04 - Jan 16 by Northernr

youth team is there to provide players for the first team. Whatever they're doing, it's working.

But we're getting thrashed. I accept players are coming through but that is isn't being generated at game level on a consistent basis.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

U18s and U23s on 20:25 - Jan 16 with 2270 viewsJeff

U18s and U23s on 20:21 - Jan 16 by bosh67

But we're getting thrashed. I accept players are coming through but that is isn't being generated at game level on a consistent basis.

Tottenham Hotspur U23 team are currently 10th out of 12 in the 'Premier League 2' table, with a record of W3 D4 L7.

You think their fans are worried?

Can we not knock it?

U18s and U23s on 20:28 - Jan 16 with 2255 viewsdanehoop

We are getting thrashed - but players are improving their skill sets as individuals and feeding into the first team squad and doing a good job when being played. All the earlier posts have pointed the evidence of this and that there is now a pathway to the first team from our youth set up.

Bosh, I get what your saying, but in all honesty does it matter if there is ongoing development of players and they are clearly now progressing to a good enough standard to make the first team squad and actually improve the team?

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

U18s and U23s on 20:35 - Jan 16 with 2223 viewsbosh67

U18s and U23s on 20:28 - Jan 16 by danehoop

We are getting thrashed - but players are improving their skill sets as individuals and feeding into the first team squad and doing a good job when being played. All the earlier posts have pointed the evidence of this and that there is now a pathway to the first team from our youth set up.

Bosh, I get what your saying, but in all honesty does it matter if there is ongoing development of players and they are clearly now progressing to a good enough standard to make the first team squad and actually improve the team?

All good points but there has to be a winning mentality built throughout the club at all levels to really bring through a continuous line. We are seeing a lot of players coming through, perhaps our Man Utd class of 92. But, my point is that a culture of winning mentality as a team is essential at all levels for the health of the club moving forward. I completely get that being a good player is about learning the trade but it needs to matter out there as a team. We may not win a lot of games but we need to drill players that every game is there to be won. I am not sure that is the culture at U18 and U23 at the moment.

Never knowingly right.

U18s and U23s on 20:37 - Jan 16 with 2212 viewsNorthernr

Completely irrelevant. They could make them go to clown college instead of training if it meant youth team players were getting into the first team. That's the job of the youth teams, not winning worthless youth level pots. Results are speaking for themselves on our first team sheet.
U18s and U23s on 20:38 - Jan 16 with 2205 viewsRoller

We have a number of eligible players out on loan at the moment. We could bring them back and improve our results, but would that be best for their development? I don't think so.
U18s and U23s on 20:41 - Jan 16 with 2193 viewsted_hendrix

At least they are learning properly how to get thrashed on a regular basis.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

U18s and U23s on 20:41 - Jan 16 with 2193 viewsMedwayR

U18s and U23s on 20:35 - Jan 16 by bosh67

All good points but there has to be a winning mentality built throughout the club at all levels to really bring through a continuous line. We are seeing a lot of players coming through, perhaps our Man Utd class of 92. But, my point is that a culture of winning mentality as a team is essential at all levels for the health of the club moving forward. I completely get that being a good player is about learning the trade but it needs to matter out there as a team. We may not win a lot of games but we need to drill players that every game is there to be won. I am not sure that is the culture at U18 and U23 at the moment.

I get what you're saying but if we concentrate on making sure our players are good then we'll win games as a bi-product of their ability, competitiveness should come naturally and will certainly develop when they get first team games. As others have pointed out we have players out on loan to develop the and are playing kids above their age group etc to develop them, the results really don't matter.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2017 20:44]

Poll: Who’s better?

U18s and U23s on 20:41 - Jan 16 with 2192 viewsaston_hoop

Suppose it depends how you want to look at it. take the U23s today v Millwall. Only players with first team experience were Kakay, Shodipo and Petrasso. Barely 15 league games between then. Millwall had a few senior players playing today (Nadjim Abdou - over 450 senior games, David Worrall - nearly 300 senior games and a couple more with over 50 games each). The last time we stuck that array of senior players in the team (Watford in December), we also won against a very young Watford team. The point is that the result really isn't a way to judge these guys, its about them getting experience against some proper senior players as well as to test some youngsters, we regularly have at least 2 or 3 trialists playing too. At u18 level, I'm sure we must realise results mean nothing, we regularly wont that youth league and cup with not a single player produced in that time. You can win those games by simply having the biggest and strongest players at that age, but that doesn't teach us anything at all. Simply, there are a lot of things to criticise the club over but I don't think this is one.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

U18s and U23s on 21:58 - Jan 16 with 2012 viewsRoller

Good to hear that Michael Petrasso is playing again, he is in danger of becoming the forgotten man as other academy graduates try to force their way into the first team picture.
U18s and U23s on 22:04 - Jan 16 with 1999 viewsNorthernr

Another point that's we've discussed on here before is as the U23 mainstays move into the first team or out on loan, the U18s have to move up to the U23s to make the team up. So we're often, like today, playing a team of U23s with a few first teamers in it with our U18s. The knock on effect is the U18s are often playing games with a lot of U16s in. Did a thread on here earlier this season, for a game with Coventry which they actually won, where our U23s were made up entirely of 19 and 18 year olds with 1 17 year old and 1 16 I think.
U18s and U23s on 22:16 - Jan 16 with 1964 viewsJamie

U18s and U23s on 21:58 - Jan 16 by Roller

Good to hear that Michael Petrasso is playing again, he is in danger of becoming the forgotten man as other academy graduates try to force their way into the first team picture.

Got injured at the worst possible time.

Will be a crying shame if he doesn't get a chance in the next few weeks.
U18s and U23s on 22:31 - Jan 16 with 1926 viewsGloucs_R

Let's not forget an England international who we made £10m off... Coming from our youth set up...

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

U18s and U23s on 23:47 - Jan 16 with 1842 viewssmegma

As a regular of U23/18 games this is the best squad we've assembled in years. At the start of the season we were scoring for fun tonking many teams. I didn't think they were world beaters then and I don't think they are useless now. If you told me 18 months ago that Shodipo would make it to the first team this season I would have said you were mad. He was playing right back and was doing well. He was then switched to the wing for the last couple of months of last season and was superb. The coaching team had identified something in him that I couldn't see. At the start of this season I couldn't see anything in Eze. After about 4 games he started to be a nuisance to opposition teams. He struck up a good partnership with Dan Darbyshire. Then Brandon Adams got into the U23s and again Eze struck up a good understanding. I was still shocked to see Eze in the first team though. So someone is doing something correct if we are getting the youngsters into the first team set up. We also have a youngster in midfield Chris Paul who is doing very well this season for the U23s. I also like Jack Williams at left back and the aforementioned Brandon Adams. Now I'm not saying they will all be huge successes but the set up in the academies isn't as gloomy as you think.
U18s and U23s on 00:07 - Jan 17 with 1817 viewsDeepcutHoop

You can tell the first team has won a few games, we're having to reach a bit for odd things to worry about.....

I don't have never worried about the actual results of the youth teams.
U18s and U23s on 00:21 - Jan 17 with 1809 viewsdaveB

They have gone up age levels so under 23's is full of 18-20 year olds and under 18's is full of 16-17 year olds so likely to lose a lot but also likely to learn and develop quicker against better opposition as well
U18s and U23s on 03:53 - Jan 17 with 1740 viewsNorthernr

U18s and U23s on 23:47 - Jan 16 by smegma

As a regular of U23/18 games this is the best squad we've assembled in years. At the start of the season we were scoring for fun tonking many teams. I didn't think they were world beaters then and I don't think they are useless now. If you told me 18 months ago that Shodipo would make it to the first team this season I would have said you were mad. He was playing right back and was doing well. He was then switched to the wing for the last couple of months of last season and was superb. The coaching team had identified something in him that I couldn't see. At the start of this season I couldn't see anything in Eze. After about 4 games he started to be a nuisance to opposition teams. He struck up a good partnership with Dan Darbyshire. Then Brandon Adams got into the U23s and again Eze struck up a good understanding. I was still shocked to see Eze in the first team though. So someone is doing something correct if we are getting the youngsters into the first team set up. We also have a youngster in midfield Chris Paul who is doing very well this season for the U23s. I also like Jack Williams at left back and the aforementioned Brandon Adams. Now I'm not saying they will all be huge successes but the set up in the academies isn't as gloomy as you think.

Christ somebody who actually watches the youth team passing comment on them. You wouldn't go well on the Twitter.
U18s and U23s on 07:48 - Jan 17 with 1662 viewsElHoop

I don't see that results matter much here. Obviously in the context of how much they can realisitically achieve as a team, they should try to maximise that, but it can't be the main objective.

If you go by results then presumably the recruitment would have to change. Do you recruit the best players that are available to the club, regardless of which position they play, or do you restrict that further by recruiting to fill positions in a team in order that the team be more balanced and thereby a bit more successful? Say we're recruiting 8 under 16 players and we have signed two strikers already and then a fantastic striker comes along - do we turn him away because we haven't got any sort of bang average centre back? Surely we get the best players we can and then try to make a team out of them? It's not the same as building the first team, where you do need good players in each position.
U18s and U23s on 09:46 - Jan 17 with 1578 viewspaulparker

I think I've read about 2 or 3 interviews from Les saying he doesn't give a monkeys about results its all about development and getting players to play in different positions and to make different runs , Chelsea & City have won the u23 league and cup the last few seasons but your not seeing anyone break through into those teams
if we can develop 2 players a year into the first team then its job done it may also make other talented kids think twice about going to Chelsea, arsenal, west ham as they may get into our first team quicker so long term it could be more beneficial

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

U18s and U23s on 09:48 - Jan 17 with 1575 viewsPinnerPaul

U18s and U23s on 22:04 - Jan 16 by Northernr

Another point that's we've discussed on here before is as the U23 mainstays move into the first team or out on loan, the U18s have to move up to the U23s to make the team up. So we're often, like today, playing a team of U23s with a few first teamers in it with our U18s. The knock on effect is the U18s are often playing games with a lot of U16s in. Did a thread on here earlier this season, for a game with Coventry which they actually won, where our U23s were made up entirely of 19 and 18 year olds with 1 17 year old and 1 16 I think.

Exactly right.

Even in this day and age of kids maturing at 14/15 - the age of the players at these levels really does make a difference.

I officiate on Ryman U18/U21 and if a team has more than one or two "underage" players against a team with a "full compliment" of players the "correct" age, they will get beaten 9/10 times.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024