Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
following instructions = football inteligence 13:36 - Jan 22 with 1970 viewswood_hoop

Don't take much of it to improve a poor playing team, we haven't suddenly had all our players injected with Einsteins dna, just players doing the simple thing of following your managers instuctions for good parts of the game.

Self belief and having the gumption to do things off the cuff are added bonuses, still early days but amazing the turn around from just a few weeks ago, IH has for a while it seemed had all the dunce hat wearing players it was possible to get on a pitch at one time,but thankfully the injection of new blood (Furlong & Manning etc) has at last got the players using their footballing brains, obviously always there but needing the nuturing of our 'mad proffesor'.

Players deserve the plaudits they are getting from the vast majority, lets not forget that Mr IH should also be taking a bow.
following instructions = football inteligence on 17:18 - Jan 22 with 1845 viewsDejR_vu

Personally I think the two main differences have been the absence of Chery and Mackie's return.

JFH spent the entire first half of the season trying to shoehorn Chery in to the side because 'he's our best player'. He may have been our most talented player but he wasn't good enough to try and build a team around. His continual inclusion was to the detriment of the team as a whole imo.

IH then initially carried on where JFH left off. But since he's been gone and Mackie has come back in we've won three, drawn one and lost one. This after an abysmal run of six straight defeats which in itself followed a pretty wretched first half to the season.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

following instructions = football inteligence on 18:42 - Jan 22 with 1775 viewsstevec

All power to Holloway for coming up with this system, who'd have thought Hall playing in front of the defence, bringing in Manning would work? It's brought some better performances out of Luongo too.

Hope he puts the same starting eleven out against Burton purely to see if it works against a side most likely playing on the back foot.

Enjoying me football again.
following instructions = football inteligence on 19:03 - Jan 22 with 1745 viewsBoston

Instructions, a little patience, a little understanding....and a lot of beatings.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

following instructions = football inteligence on 19:35 - Jan 22 with 1688 viewsterryb

following instructions = football inteligence on 18:42 - Jan 22 by stevec

All power to Holloway for coming up with this system, who'd have thought Hall playing in front of the defence, bringing in Manning would work? It's brought some better performances out of Luongo too.

Hope he puts the same starting eleven out against Burton purely to see if it works against a side most likely playing on the back foot.

Enjoying me football again.

It will be very interesting to see if we can cope with the expectancy of winning.

Will we need different personnel for the Burton game? Will we need a different structure/game plan? Will we need more empathsis on going forward? Dominating the match rather than counter attacking?

I'm looking forward to seeing how we go about our business next Saturday. After the last two matches, anything but a win will not be well received by some.

It will be down to us to impose ourselves while Burton try to contain. It ain't going to be easy!

Such a strange feeling - wanting to leave the pub to get to the match!
following instructions = football inteligence on 19:46 - Jan 22 with 1652 viewsozranger

I've noticed another feature that Ollie and Birch must have fixed up.. fitness. The way the players, all of them, are now able to fight for the ball and defend off the ball continuously for the whole game shows this. Sylla is not fit yet, but is improving and Lua Lua is some way off.
following instructions = football inteligence on 09:47 - Jan 23 with 1313 viewsfrancisbowles

following instructions = football inteligence on 19:46 - Jan 22 by ozranger

I've noticed another feature that Ollie and Birch must have fixed up.. fitness. The way the players, all of them, are now able to fight for the ball and defend off the ball continuously for the whole game shows this. Sylla is not fit yet, but is improving and Lua Lua is some way off.

The pre season is so important to fitness. It is one area where JFH got it right. Sylla, didn't have the same start.

Where JFH may have got it wrong was by training too hard once the season had started, leaving players leggy.

Ollie seems to have corrected this so that the players are going into matches more rested and able to use that built in fitness to get them finishing games with less fatigue and more energy.
following instructions = football inteligence on 09:59 - Jan 23 with 1294 viewsLblock

following instructions = football inteligence on 19:35 - Jan 22 by terryb

It will be very interesting to see if we can cope with the expectancy of winning.

Will we need different personnel for the Burton game? Will we need a different structure/game plan? Will we need more empathsis on going forward? Dominating the match rather than counter attacking?

I'm looking forward to seeing how we go about our business next Saturday. After the last two matches, anything but a win will not be well received by some.

It will be down to us to impose ourselves while Burton try to contain. It ain't going to be easy!

This is a very good point and one I was making elsewhere this morning

I'd stick to what's working but there's also a big bit of me that would introduce Washington and Shodipo the torpedo to go for it a bit more.

A win in this one and a point at the Geordies and Ollie should be held up as the new Messiah!!
Interesting times and a very good move by the club to switch the Burton fixture

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

following instructions = football inteligence on 10:27 - Jan 23 with 1255 viewsWadR

following instructions = football inteligence on 19:35 - Jan 22 by terryb

Agree with this. The last two games, the set up and tactics have been well thought out and executed superbly for the two teams we've played - possession teams above us in the table.

In the last two matches we've had under 30% possession but we're going to play a Burton side who've won once away all season, haven't scored away for a month. The onus will be on us to attack and control possession so I'm interested to see if Holloway changes both/either the starting XI or the line up.

My one real critique of our performance against Fulham was that I thought we wasted a lot of counter attacking opportunities. There was a lack of fluency, some sloppy passes, too many offsides etc. And that was frequently in scenarios where we were 3 on 3 and had lots of space to play into, how will that midfield and attack do against a side that's likely to be compact and have a lot of players behind the ball?
Login to get fewer ads

following instructions = football inteligence on 10:33 - Jan 23 with 1245 viewsRs_Holy

following instructions = football inteligence on 10:27 - Jan 23 by WadR

Agree with this. The last two games, the set up and tactics have been well thought out and executed superbly for the two teams we've played - possession teams above us in the table.

In the last two matches we've had under 30% possession but we're going to play a Burton side who've won once away all season, haven't scored away for a month. The onus will be on us to attack and control possession so I'm interested to see if Holloway changes both/either the starting XI or the line up.

My one real critique of our performance against Fulham was that I thought we wasted a lot of counter attacking opportunities. There was a lack of fluency, some sloppy passes, too many offsides etc. And that was frequently in scenarios where we were 3 on 3 and had lots of space to play into, how will that midfield and attack do against a side that's likely to be compact and have a lot of players behind the ball?

agree with all of this too!...

It is great that we are going into games with a plan and system adapted to cope with good opposition.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 10:34]
following instructions = football inteligence on 10:46 - Jan 23 with 1212 viewswelwynranger

I don't understand all the technical stuff but it seems to me that passing the ball to a player in the same colour shirt helped a bit. What do I knowz
following instructions = football inteligence on 11:40 - Jan 23 with 1149 viewsrsonist

It's a question of balance. You can have a Redknapp extreme where you're just plonking triffic players out every week hoping they gel together on their own. You can also have a van Gaal extreme where you're so strict with orders that good players can't express themselves and become stifled.
following instructions = football inteligence on 12:50 - Jan 23 with 1091 viewswhittocksRs

I assume we're going to be a relatively functional, long-ball side until the summer, as we don't have the team or the time to sort out a passing style this season. That's okay, as long as we refine the style a bit and learn when it works and what we need to do to improve.

There's absolutely no problem in being a 40%-possession, counter-attacking team, as long as you get the right players in to do it. Jamie Mackie, for example, is perfect for it, and Manning seems to understand it too. The full-backs will have to develop — can see Furlong doing it, but not sure about Bidwell — and we'll need a real hitman.

If that all happens we can try to Leicester everyone next year and make a go of getting up again.
following instructions = football inteligence on 14:55 - Jan 23 with 1017 viewssmegma

Meanwhile JFH keeps moaning that ' I should have been given more time' to anyone who will listen.
following instructions = football inteligence on 17:43 - Jan 23 with 942 viewsPinnerPaul

following instructions = football inteligence on 10:27 - Jan 23 by WadR

Your last paragraph, spot on.

We conceded possession far too easily in the 2nd half.
following instructions = football inteligence on 19:58 - Jan 23 with 904 viewstimcocking

I think players make virtually all the decisions, as they should. Apart from, obviously, stuff like formation and basic defensive strategy. Managers are overrated and basically pick the team. I think a managers main role, certainly nowadays, is man management and trying to get players to give 100%. And identifying/buying players, if indeed they are still responsible for that.

And even then, it's pretty much down to luck on the day. Referee gives you the decision, you win, he gives the decision the other way, you lose. Somebody takes a long shot, it flies in, you win, off the post, you lose.

In a team like the championship, you could virtually just draw lots.

If Harry Redknapp can do it, so can a monkey.
following instructions = football inteligence on 09:39 - Jan 24 with 753 viewswood_hoop

following instructions = football inteligence on 19:58 - Jan 23 by timcocking

I think players make virtually all the decisions, as they should. Apart from, obviously, stuff like formation and basic defensive strategy. Managers are overrated and basically pick the team. I think a managers main role, certainly nowadays, is man management and trying to get players to give 100%. And identifying/buying players, if indeed they are still responsible for that.

And even then, it's pretty much down to luck on the day. Referee gives you the decision, you win, he gives the decision the other way, you lose. Somebody takes a long shot, it flies in, you win, off the post, you lose.

In a team like the championship, you could virtually just draw lots.

If Harry Redknapp can do it, so can a monkey.

I think your assumption that managers are overated is somewhat wide of the mark, yes there are good and bad managers and players do sometimes fill in gaps that are glaring during a match.

IH is imo one of those managers that certainly does make a difference, he might use coaches to help instill the style he wants the team playing, but he is the main instigater of how the players should fit into a format he has devised.

Left to players it would be like a junior schoolboy match with nine
forwards and the one defender being the one that can't be arsed running the length of the pitch, certainly can help if players can read the match well and maybe do something that the manager has let slip, but to think managers are only there as a perifery to how a team actually operates durng a match is doing a great dis-service to the profession.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024