Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit 08:38 - Feb 7 with 15631 viewsRanger_Things

IT'S THE STUPID WOT WON IT!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034
Brexit on 08:59 - Feb 7 with 6917 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I'm not sure level of education says anything about how stupid or clever someone is.

Nobody 'won' nuffink btw

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Brexit on 09:00 - Feb 7 with 6908 viewssmegma

What a heap of crap. Some figures must be made up. How do they know about areas population qualifications?? This should've been on the new Fake News programme on Channel 4 last night.
Brexit on 09:01 - Feb 7 with 6903 viewsGloucs_R

I'm stupid..I left school at 16....

I'm also a top 10% earner.....with no Uni debts.

Stooopid......

Poll: Are we staying up?

Brexit on 09:07 - Feb 7 with 6881 viewsStanisgod

Im stoopid , I support QPR

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Brexit on 09:23 - Feb 7 with 6832 viewsnadera78

Where does it say 'stupid' in that report? Never mistake level of education for intelligence - Boris Johnson is a perfect example of someone with a lot of the former but not much or the latter.

This report essentially just reinforces what was already believed (from opinion polls and such) that older people and those with less qualifications tended to vote Leave. The stand out actually is the level of Leave support amongst Asians in parts of London - probably a result of the Leave campaign actively saying "less EU immigration means more people from outside the EU can come in".
Brexit on 09:23 - Feb 7 with 6831 viewsClive_Anderson

It is correlated with age and the young are much more likely to go to university that the older generations.

It's pretty obvious to anyone who thinks about it for more than two seconds, which is why remain voters haven't managed to figure it out yet as they're still too busy chucking their toys out of the pram.
Brexit on 09:25 - Feb 7 with 6825 viewsCamberleyR

About an eight pager I reckon....

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Brexit on 09:34 - Feb 7 with 6790 viewshopphoops

First things first - leavist stilton or remainster manchego? And here's a thought for you all:

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit on 09:38 - Feb 7 with 6769 viewsqpr1976

It's a bit like when Politicians say "We have to raise our game and win the war on drugs".

It suggests there is a war on drugs and that those on drug are winning it !?
Brexit on 09:39 - Feb 7 with 6767 viewsLofthope

Most BBC journalists and reporters seem pretty stupid to me. They certainly ask some dumb questions in interviews. It really is an organisation in decline.

The article actually refers to graduates, and the days of graduates representing the more intelligent (if that was ever true, which I doubt) have long since disappeared. Like a poster above implies I probably earn more than most graduates, but there are footballers without degrees earning more than me and a clutch of graduates combined. University degrees are not special anymore and are no mark of a person's intellectual standing. In my career I meet well educated thick people regularly, then have to pay a TV licence to suffer them on the BBC too.....admittedly, I can choose other channels but I still resent paying the licence fee.
Brexit on 09:44 - Feb 7 with 6749 views2Thomas2Bowles

As our resident statistician isawqpratwcity would say.

The only stat that matters is leave won.

But the whinging may never end.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Brexit on 10:00 - Feb 7 with 6705 viewsrobith

Good to see no one in the thread actually read the article. Thanks for the disingenuous first post which has derailed any discussion of substance.

Decent level of statistical analysis, goes some way to adding some substance to pet theories everyone has - people who felt left behind voting leave, "metropolitan elite" voting remain etc
Brexit on 10:06 - Feb 7 with 6677 viewsconnell10

Brexit on 09:39 - Feb 7 by Lofthope

Most BBC journalists and reporters seem pretty stupid to me. They certainly ask some dumb questions in interviews. It really is an organisation in decline.

The article actually refers to graduates, and the days of graduates representing the more intelligent (if that was ever true, which I doubt) have long since disappeared. Like a poster above implies I probably earn more than most graduates, but there are footballers without degrees earning more than me and a clutch of graduates combined. University degrees are not special anymore and are no mark of a person's intellectual standing. In my career I meet well educated thick people regularly, then have to pay a TV licence to suffer them on the BBC too.....admittedly, I can choose other channels but I still resent paying the licence fee.

Yep it is in decline because the torys dont like it so have haved its funding!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Brexit on 10:07 - Feb 7 with 6676 views2Thomas2Bowles

Picking over the bones won't change the result.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Brexit on 10:32 - Feb 7 with 6617 viewsstevec

“What sickens me about left-wing people, especially the intellectuals, is their utter ignorance of the way things actually happen.”

George Orwell
Brexit on 10:32 - Feb 7 with 6616 viewslondonscottish

Brexit on 10:00 - Feb 7 by robith

Good to see no one in the thread actually read the article. Thanks for the disingenuous first post which has derailed any discussion of substance.

Decent level of statistical analysis, goes some way to adding some substance to pet theories everyone has - people who felt left behind voting leave, "metropolitan elite" voting remain etc

Agree.

"This powerful link to educational attainment could stem from the lower qualified tending to feel less confident about their prospects and ability to compete for work in a competitive globalised economy with high levels of migration."

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Brexit on 11:29 - Feb 7 with 6515 viewsconnell10

Brexit on 10:32 - Feb 7 by londonscottish

Agree.

"This powerful link to educational attainment could stem from the lower qualified tending to feel less confident about their prospects and ability to compete for work in a competitive globalised economy with high levels of migration."

Well i must buck the trend as i qualify for most things on the list but i voted to stay in Europe.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Brexit on 11:31 - Feb 7 with 6507 viewsTacticalR

As mentioned, the OP has never posted in this forum before.

On the question of education, there is an interesting discussion of attitudes to the Vietnam War, at the time of the war, in James Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me (1995)

Discussing the myth that educated people were more likely to be opposed to the Vietnam war (a myth perpetuated in 'Rambo') Loewen says:

'However, the truth is quite different. Educated people disproportionately supported the Vietnam War. Table 3 shows the actual outcome of the January 1971 poll:

These results surprise even some professional social scientists. Twice as high a proportion of college-educated adults, 40 percent, were hawks, compared to only 20 percent of adults with grade school educations. And this poll was no isolated phenomenon. Similar results were registered again and again, in surveys by Harris, NORC, and others. Back in 1965, when only 24 percent of the nation agreed that the United States “made a mistake” in sending troops to Vietnam, 28 percent of the grade school-educated felt so. Later, when less than half of the college-educated adults favored pullout, among the grade school-educated 61 percent did. Throughout our long involvement in Southeast Asia, on issues related to Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, or Laos, the grade school-educated were always the most dovish, the college-educated the most hawkish.'

Air hostess clique

Brexit on 11:38 - Feb 7 with 6489 viewskensalriser

I don't think there's any doubt that outside main urban centres the leave vote correlates with areas where people are less well-educated and less advantaged economically. This has already been studied and reported at length.

Th more important questions are why those people feel the way they do and what can be done to better include them in the country's wealth generation.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Brexit on 12:08 - Feb 7 with 6422 viewsDWQPR

The so called more intelligent for me are coming across as far more ignorant since the referendum than the so-called ignorant, who certainly have a greater feel for the realities for life. The intellectuals adopted the project fear approach and it failed miserably. I did vote to remain, I disliked the EU system and appreciated that it was badly flawed but took my time to consider all relevant aspects and came to the conclusion that was economically based. I would say then that I was probably 60/40 in the remain camp. However, since then I will say that if there were to be another election tomorrow, based on what I have seen and read in the last seven months I would now be a 90/10 leaver. And part of this is based on the fact that idiotic 'intellectuals' like those who have wasted their time doing this research and those who have given them the oxygen of the media just cannot accept the fact that we are leaving the EU and cannot accept the fact that however intelligent or intellectually challenged you may be you still have the same right to ONE vote and it is your choice to exercise this vote. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong as everyone has their own opinion, whether you like it or not, it is their opinion that counts to them and this should be respected but sadly isn't by the so-called intellects.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Brexit on 12:44 - Feb 7 with 6339 viewspeejaybee

Brexit on 12:08 - Feb 7 by DWQPR

The so called more intelligent for me are coming across as far more ignorant since the referendum than the so-called ignorant, who certainly have a greater feel for the realities for life. The intellectuals adopted the project fear approach and it failed miserably. I did vote to remain, I disliked the EU system and appreciated that it was badly flawed but took my time to consider all relevant aspects and came to the conclusion that was economically based. I would say then that I was probably 60/40 in the remain camp. However, since then I will say that if there were to be another election tomorrow, based on what I have seen and read in the last seven months I would now be a 90/10 leaver. And part of this is based on the fact that idiotic 'intellectuals' like those who have wasted their time doing this research and those who have given them the oxygen of the media just cannot accept the fact that we are leaving the EU and cannot accept the fact that however intelligent or intellectually challenged you may be you still have the same right to ONE vote and it is your choice to exercise this vote. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong as everyone has their own opinion, whether you like it or not, it is their opinion that counts to them and this should be respected but sadly isn't by the so-called intellects.

Well said that man.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Brexit on 12:56 - Feb 7 with 6300 viewsQPR_John

I suggest in future an IQ test is taken before being able to vote. Clever people really should have the right to be heard above the crowd and idiots like me should not be pressurised in having to think about the great problems in the world
Brexit on 13:06 - Feb 7 with 6275 viewsTGRRRSSS

This powerful link to educational attainment could stem from the lower qualified tending to feel less confident about their prospects and ability to compete for work in a competitive globalised economy with high levels of migration."

To me this suggests this country is failing in it's education system and is refusing to fund people to the level required for a "globalised world"

Which it is. Look at the doctors stuff at the moment and no mention of the cost of university and the lack of availability in Medicine just as one example.

However we won't mention that bit - we'll just sat "your thick" you can't manage and we'll blame you.

Sinister times
Brexit on 13:07 - Feb 7 with 6274 viewsJuzzie

There are probably loads of reasons why someone chose to vote Leave (or Remain) but it's media/social network frenzy that assumes all Leave voters are racist, xenophobic, homophobic, etc etc. It really is insulting.

I had to unfollow one friend on FB as every fcking post (this is 7 months after the referendum) she makes accuses Leave votes exactly as this. She's quite intelligent which just goes to show how quasi-religious it's become and how people are getting swept up in the hysteria. Quite ironic really.
Brexit on 13:07 - Feb 7 with 6270 viewsWestbourneR

Brexit on 12:44 - Feb 7 by peejaybee

Well said that man.

'No matter how stupid you are you're still entitled to one vote'.

And there in lay the problem...

What a mess. I'm annoyed for my kids more than anything, denied a European future by little Englanders.

Ken Clarke's speech in Parliament perfectly summarised the fantasy that Brexit is built on.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024