Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HQ 1980 21:00 - Feb 19 with 5442 viewsrichranger

Here is a rather nice amateur film of LR from March 1980. Love the shots of the empty stadium, especially the Loft and School end terrace. That close season, the school end stand was built, and became the home end for the next season. However, the year afterwards, the Loftus Road stand was built, and we move back there.

[Post edited 20 Feb 2017 7:32]
HQ 1980 (n/t) on 18:24 - Feb 21 with 1506 viewsBoston

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 13:18 - Feb 21 by LunarJetman

Didn't quite realise how many seats were lost when the Executive boxes went in!
[Post edited 21 Feb 2017 13:23]

Seats, think how many standing we had! Was a nice little group of gents right beside the tunnel in what is now the East Paddock. Stood over with 'em a few times, listening to the stories of capers past.
The tea bar was in the angled bit against the back wall, should really be able to see it in that vid, maybe it had gone by 1980, can't remember, but of course I rarely strayed up there because stowmarket was lurking in the shadows
The extreme angled crush barriers...the club tried to make two right angled paths at either side of the Loft, though you wouldn't know as people just stood on them like anywhere else, never really noticed them being any good at the final whistle either.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2017 18:30]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 18:28 - Feb 21 with 1496 viewsBoston

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 18:24 - Feb 21 by Boston

Seats, think how many standing we had! Was a nice little group of gents right beside the tunnel in what is now the East Paddock. Stood over with 'em a few times, listening to the stories of capers past.
The tea bar was in the angled bit against the back wall, should really be able to see it in that vid, maybe it had gone by 1980, can't remember, but of course I rarely strayed up there because stowmarket was lurking in the shadows
The extreme angled crush barriers...the club tried to make two right angled paths at either side of the Loft, though you wouldn't know as people just stood on them like anywhere else, never really noticed them being any good at the final whistle either.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2017 18:30]

The 'extreme angled barriers' - there were two smaller entrance / exits of course, maybe the club was trying to encourage people to steer clear of the main stairs which could be murder on a day with a decent attendance.

HQ 1980 on 12:41 - Feb 26 with 1287 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

HQ 1980 on 15:07 - Feb 26 with 1196 viewsNov77

I've got this game on video along with loads of other stuff from this era. Keep meaning to get it uploaded to YouTube.

No longer own a video player, does anyone know where I can get a vhs tape transferred onto something I can upload to a computer?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

HQ 1980 on 16:52 - Feb 26 with 1161 viewsTacticalR

HQ 1980 on 15:07 - Feb 26 by Nov77

I've got this game on video along with loads of other stuff from this era. Keep meaning to get it uploaded to YouTube.

No longer own a video player, does anyone know where I can get a vhs tape transferred onto something I can upload to a computer?

Thread from a while ago about doing this (not easy by the sound of it):

Converting / digitising old QPR videos
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/68716/784912/conve

Air hostess clique

HQ 1980 on 17:19 - Feb 26 with 1137 viewsNov77

HQ 1980 on 16:52 - Feb 26 by TacticalR

Thread from a while ago about doing this (not easy by the sound of it):

Converting / digitising old QPR videos
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/68716/784912/conve

Thanks for that, didn't realise snappy snaps do it, there's one local too!

I've got one tape with loads of rare stuff on it including the goal from the game above, still remember the commentary from Brian Moore, "now, can Burke make it 1-1 right at the end? HE CAN!! An amazing finish!"

Also got clips from a 2-2 draw with Luton, Paul Goddard scored both goals in front of the old loft, mal donaghy went straight through Tony Currie with a bad tackle and Steve wicks came running over like he was gonna kill him.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 17:20 - Feb 26 with 1136 viewsBrightonhoop

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 18:28 - Feb 21 by Boston

The 'extreme angled barriers' - there were two smaller entrance / exits of course, maybe the club was trying to encourage people to steer clear of the main stairs which could be murder on a day with a decent attendance.

used to get carried down the loft stairs at FT by the sheer volume of people leaving. And taking our chances on Batman Close to go round to the Club Shop.
/Ticket office.

Happy days, legging it up those stairs to catch KO.
HQ 1980 (n/t) on 19:50 - Feb 26 with 1067 viewsBoston

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 17:20 - Feb 26 by Brightonhoop

used to get carried down the loft stairs at FT by the sheer volume of people leaving. And taking our chances on Batman Close to go round to the Club Shop.
/Ticket office.

Still the same stairs y'know, Mr Gregory never knocked 'em down, just incorporated them into the new(!) Loft.

Login to get fewer ads

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 21:16 - Feb 26 with 1026 viewsBrightonhoop

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 19:50 - Feb 26 by Boston

Still the same stairs y'know, Mr Gregory never knocked 'em down, just incorporated them into the new(!) Loft.

Only been in the Loft once since it went all seater, usually on R. X or T on the half way line. Used to get to the top of them stairs and pick my chin up every time. Like it was made by God's hand alone. :-)
HQ 1980 (n/t) on 22:59 - Feb 26 with 991 viewsVancouverHoop

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 17:20 - Feb 26 by Brightonhoop

/Ticket office.

Oh yeah. I took two GFs to matches, one later became my wife. Neither came to a second after being carried down those steps.

Third crush barrier from the pitch slightly to the right of the goal in the vid. That was my spot for every match between 1969—76. I think all the blokes around me were the same during that period too. The only exception was the opening match of the season in 1975(?) We lost 0-1 to Stoke I think, dull as ditchwater. I was with a couple of American friends who'd never been to the UK before. At half-time they insisted on sitting down (soft buggers) so we got transfers to Ellerslie. The game didn't lok any better from there.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2017 23:00]
HQ 1980 (n/t) on 23:17 - Feb 26 with 979 viewsBoston

HQ 1980 (n/t) on 22:59 - Feb 26 by VancouverHoop

Oh yeah. I took two GFs to matches, one later became my wife. Neither came to a second after being carried down those steps.

Third crush barrier from the pitch slightly to the right of the goal in the vid. That was my spot for every match between 1969—76. I think all the blokes around me were the same during that period too. The only exception was the opening match of the season in 1975(?) We lost 0-1 to Stoke I think, dull as ditchwater. I was with a couple of American friends who'd never been to the UK before. At half-time they insisted on sitting down (soft buggers) so we got transfers to Ellerslie. The game didn't lok any better from there.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2017 23:00]

Didn't ya make any Canadian friends?

HQ 1980 on 23:42 - Feb 26 with 945 viewsVancouverHoop

Oh yeah. But they all knew better.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024