Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen 17:49 - Feb 23 with 6155 viewsBrianMcCarthy

In Clive's preview of Saturday's game, he went back to the 2-2 draw at Deepdale where Adel was given a 9.

So that got me thinking - what's the best display you've ever seen by a Rangers player.

I think mine is Clive Wilson away to Everton in Nov '93. Bradley Allen got a hat-trick, the papers gave Super Ray MOTM for being Super Ray but Wilson was out of this world at left back, left mid and left wing all at once.

My Word.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 20:31 - Feb 23 with 1814 viewsElHoop

If you are sufficiently wizened then Big Bobby Hazell shutting out Regis in that semi-final was about as big as it gets. Waddock's performance against Hoddle in the final is also worth a mention from that season - Hoddle was a proper genial player on his day and Waddock kept him quiet.

More recently I loved Taarabt's performance at the Bridge in the 1-0 win. A fat lazy slug he may be, but you most certainly wouldn't have known it that night, and that too was at the highest level.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 20:48 - Feb 23 with 1762 viewspaulparker

Terry fenwick -milk cup semi 1st leg he was every where that night
Garry bannister vs Chelsea 1987
Wegerle vs Everton 1990
Wegerle vs Luton when we won 6-0
Wilkins vs Spurs in the 4-1 win
Dennis bailey - that game
Les vs Chelsea 1990
Paul Parker vs Everton in 87 marked sharp out of the game
Paul Parker debut against West Ham
Les vs Norwich in 1992 or 93 every time he got the ball you thought he would score
John spencer vs Barnsley
Sinton vs Everton the hatrick game
Sinclair vs Newcastle in 1996 it was him against the rest that game
Chris day vs Oldham only for that save
Chris day vs Stoke 2002 1st game in league 1 he got us that win
Adel vs Fulham the 2 goals got us the 1st win of that season
Jurgen sommer vs villa
Richard dunne vs Wigan play off
Richard dunne vs derby play off final
Clint hill vs Chelsea in the 1-0 win back in the side and back to his best
Danny Maddix vs West Ham in 1988
Macca vs Man Utd in the FA cup 89
Wilkins debut vs palace 89

Loads of others I'm sure I've forgot but the one that really stands out is a strange one
It was Steve Palmer when we played Crewe , that t0sser Andy hall sent off 2 of ours for nothing and we were down to 9 men , Palmer galvanised and organised the team and was throwing his body into everything to stop them from scoring even stopping one on the line not once but twice he was brilliant and what a captain should be all about

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 22:42 - Feb 23 with 1647 viewsstevec

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 19:00 - Feb 23 by THEBUSH

Gerry Francis in so many games, hard to pick only one game out.

Up at WBA in the 70's, Francis came as near as is humanly possible playing as a one man team, fighting out a draw on his own despite taking the kicking of a lifetime. An extraordinary player we will never see the like of again.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 22:46 - Feb 23 with 1637 viewsFredManRave

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 20:29 - Feb 23 by essextaxiboy

2 oppo players against us
Suarez in the 0_3 defeat at LR
Craig Bellamy at Ewood Park in the Cup .

Plus Andy Coles hat-trick against us at LR when he was playing for Burnley, although to be fair "we" did help him that day...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 22:53 - Feb 23 with 1613 viewsloftboy

If we're talking opposition players then.it's Huddle and waddle when spurs did us 5-2 at home just after the milk cup final

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 23:43 - Feb 23 with 1541 viewsflynnbo

For QPR debuts, I'd say Wegerle against Everton (?) and Richard Langley but otherwise Lua Lua for Colchester was pretty amazing. Malcolm McDonald seemed to always turn it on in the 70s despite that photo and,of course, the great Peter Shilton st HQ.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 23:45 - Feb 23 with 1537 viewsDannytheR

Quite a few games where I remember Les looking like every touch would be a goal, and so many times in 2010/11 when it was just Adel and 21 other blokes on the pitch.

Roy Wegerle v Luton is the one I always think of whenever anyone uses the word "unplayable."

Sinclair had a whole run of games early in the relegation season where it looked like he might keep us up on his own — Leeds away was one of them.

Richard Dunne in the play off final was pretty special too. As the minutes inched by you (and Derby) became more and more aware NOTHING was getting past him that afternoon.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 23:52 - Feb 23 with 1521 viewsdanehoop

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 23:45 - Feb 23 by DannytheR

Quite a few games where I remember Les looking like every touch would be a goal, and so many times in 2010/11 when it was just Adel and 21 other blokes on the pitch.

Roy Wegerle v Luton is the one I always think of whenever anyone uses the word "unplayable."

Sinclair had a whole run of games early in the relegation season where it looked like he might keep us up on his own — Leeds away was one of them.

Richard Dunne in the play off final was pretty special too. As the minutes inched by you (and Derby) became more and more aware NOTHING was getting past him that afternoon.

Dennis Bailey when he scored a hatrick in our 4-1 win against Manchester United New Year's Day 1992 at old Trafford. Just took too pieces the famous Man Utd defence and keeper. Unplayable that day.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 00:02 - Feb 24 with 1508 viewsMyke

Richard Dunne v Russia. 0-0. Absolutely unbeatable. Sometimes a goalkeeper can keep out the opposition on his own but for a Centre Half to do it. Awesome
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 00:05 - Feb 24 with 1501 viewsHantsR

One of the best was Gerry Francis for England v Scotland. Don Revie said it was a 'remarkable performance' - first time I had heard that adjective used in a football context.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 04:06 - Feb 24 with 1442 viewsSydneyRs

Ray Wilkins in the 4-1 v Spurs back in the 90s. Pulled the strings in a beautiful team display and topped it off by scoring with a header.

Peter Hucker in the first FA cup final game v Spurs.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 04:15 - Feb 24 with 1439 viewstimcocking

Adel always.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 04:42 - Feb 24 with 1430 viewsPommyhoop

Like El Hoop said. Reduced the ''best midfield and defence'' in the country to pulling, kicking and fouling.They were bouncing off him that night. As near as 1 man beating a team as you will ever see.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 08:27 - Feb 24 with 1318 viewscaliforniahoop

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 18:38 - Feb 23 by Nov77

Saw Clive Allen's debut hat trick.
For sheer excitement wegerles home debut was special.

At his best, Les was unplayable. Beat them for pace, beat them in the air, beat them with sheer power.

I was going to say Wegerle also, Cureton v Coventry ?Furlong away at Sunderland was a good un,home to Luton, Leicester. Samson against Arsenal FA cup. Diakite against Arsenal, Bob Hazel against WBA, Parkes v NForest I could go on.

The one modern one that stands out was luis Suarez, he destroyed us!
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 08:32 - Feb 24 with 1307 viewspaulparker

Big Macca for NIreland against England in 1985 the man would have headed a 747 away from goal that night, it was the first time as well ive wanted a "foreign country" to beat England just so the big man could go to Mexico 86

if your talking opposing players then tony Cottee was brilliant against us in the 2-3 loss against west ham in 86 , what a game that was BTW

the original Lua Lua in the league cup , im pretty sure matt rose is still having sleepless nights to this day

Rooney was head and shoulders above any player a few seasons back, talk about how to read the game and control it

John Barnes taking us apart for Liverpool in 87 was I have to admit pretty special (even though Ive always disliked him)

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 08:53 - Feb 24 with 1249 viewseasthertsr

Not sure if it was quite the best but Diakate running the game and scoring the winner against Arsenal was a performance to remember.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 08:53 - Feb 24 with 1248 viewsElHoop

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 04:42 - Feb 24 by Pommyhoop

Like El Hoop said. Reduced the ''best midfield and defence'' in the country to pulling, kicking and fouling.They were bouncing off him that night. As near as 1 man beating a team as you will ever see.

Thanks for that - what an effort.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 09:12 - Feb 24 with 1229 viewsPeterHucker

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 18:34 - Feb 23 by davman

I have an even weirder one.,.

Georges Santos (REALLY) v Crewe (a) back in the third tier days.

Everything he tried came off that day - fantastic in a 2-0 win.

I remember that Crewe match and I agree, Santos was great. Didn't he also score a free kick in that match?
Always annoys me when he gets mentioned as an example of our worst ever players, we've had dozens of players worse than him & you couldn't fault him for effort.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 09:15 - Feb 24 with 1231 viewsfrancisbowles

The Rodney hatrick v Birmingham (my first game), Adel v scum, the Clive Allen debut and Stan v FC Cologne.

An obscure one, around mid 70's, a 0-0 draw at home where Gerry, Phil Parkes and Peter Shilton were all outstanding. A Sunday paper the next day gave the three of them a 10.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 09:20 - Feb 24 with 1212 viewsPeterHucker

We beat Leeds 4-1 in a midweek match early 90s. (possibly the same season Leeds won the League?)
They had their much hyped midfield at the time (McAllister, Strachan, Batty, Speed).
Ray Wilkins made all 4 of them look clueless with a brilliant display of passing. He had a knack of seeing passes that nobody else could see.
Some highlights of that match here.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 10:34 - Feb 24 with 1172 viewsterryb

I'm a bit surprised that none of my fellow oldies hasn't mentioned a certain Mr. Marsh in a 3-2 win at Charlton in the FA Cup in 1970.

We were two down inside thrirty minutes & looking as if it could be ten. Then Rodney started to play! He scored two befiore half time & then went on to set up Frank Clarke for the winner.

30,000 plus in the Valley (held 80,000 at the time) & it sounded as if all of them burst into the ROD-NEE chant.

An honourable mention to Chris Day for a virtuoso performance in a one nil win at Blackpool during the Holloway promotion season. We needed that as we all sat out in the wind & rain in the temp seats that afternoon!

Best against us has to be Louis Suarez twice. Thank you Dalgliesh for taking him off so we could come back to win!
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 10:37 - Feb 24 with 1169 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A question I often meant to ask - who was MOTM in the '67 League Cup Final?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 10:54 - Feb 24 with 1143 viewsTheRam

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 00:02 - Feb 24 by Myke

Richard Dunne v Russia. 0-0. Absolutely unbeatable. Sometimes a goalkeeper can keep out the opposition on his own but for a Centre Half to do it. Awesome

He pretty much did it at Wembley too x
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 10:57 - Feb 24 with 1140 viewsBucksRanger

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 10:37 - Feb 24 by BrianMcCarthy

A question I often meant to ask - who was MOTM in the '67 League Cup Final?

That was definitely a team effort. If I had to choose a MOM though, it would be Mike Keen who was running the midfield in the second half.
Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 11:03 - Feb 24 with 1136 viewsPinnerPaul

Best Performance By A Player You Have Seen on 23:45 - Feb 23 by DannytheR

Dunne - He was pretty good in the semi as well!

For older viewers - Rodney Marsh's hat trick/performance in 5-2 win over Birmingham was pretty special.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024