Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football before 1992 08:24 - Feb 24 with 1964 viewspaulparker

Did it Exist ? was it a fragment of my imagination ?
im pretty sure we didn't have EPL, Celebrity footballers , Wags, managers sacked every 5 games , foreign owners , average foreign players , average English players , the 4th place team qualify for the European cup , teams not giving a stuff about the Uefa cup
or even championship (its the 2nd division) clubs not giving a monkeys about the FA Cup
world cups in Qatar

im mean does anyone over 35 actually prefer football in todays climate ? or am I just one miserable sod who should be grateful we are living through a golden age of football

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Football before 1992 on 08:38 - Feb 24 with 1952 viewsToast_R

For your match going supporter, football was a lot better before 1992. Prices were affordable, terraces for better atmospheres and teams didn't have to spend 10% of the planets wealth to be successful. Players played for the love of the game, international matches filled you with pride we played on saturdays unless it was against Liverpool, in which case Brian Moore would be commentating on it on a Sunday afternoon.

Take me back.
Football before 1992 on 08:42 - Feb 24 with 1939 viewsLblock

I love repeating myself.

1990 = God's Own Year for anyone who loved football, dance music and a bit of the other.

Football today is a crass steaming pile of shizen.
Raneri sacking is the latest example but our holier than thou approach does wrakle with me as I compare it to Bungle disposing of King Warnock the first time.

I'm with your sentiment 100% though PP

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Football before 1992 on 09:17 - Feb 24 with 1903 viewspaulparker

Football before 1992 on 08:42 - Feb 24 by Lblock

I love repeating myself.

1990 = God's Own Year for anyone who loved football, dance music and a bit of the other.

Raneri sacking is the latest example but our holier than thou approach does wrakle with me as I compare it to Bungle disposing of King Warnock the first time.

Nothing wrong in repeating yourself Lblock I do it all the time
and your right 1990 was my favourite year in football for England , Rangers and for life in general

I used to love paying on the day , going with mates to west ham, arsenal, spurs when they were proper clubs feeling that buzz of not knowing what was going to happen also
most of the players were men not pampered little boys I mean I saw this this the other day , wtf is this all about imagine billy Whitehurst doing this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTulWgK7k4kKdSY6J9tkEEviu-3

We have got to the point that Arsenal fans are putting banners up about Sanchez's dogs
the arsenal fans I knew of 25 years ago were never this muggy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4141100/Arsenal-unveil-new-ban

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Football before 1992 on 09:26 - Feb 24 with 1886 viewsdavman

Football before 1992 on 08:42 - Feb 24 by Lblock

I love repeating myself.

Music. Football - THE best World Cup for my generation. QPR punching above their weight, an established Div 1 club that other fans liked, looking up rather than down.
End of my first year at University and all joy that bought me.

Great Days.

Sky and the Premier League could have been great for football, but the governing body of our game screwed that royally by pandering to the rich clubs and ensuring their future at the expense of every other club.

For instance, why do the big clubs get more TV revenue than the rest independent of their league position? Why not actually share it out evenly? Why is it the same teams on irrespective of the games? The first weekend of every season is so predictable in terms of what games Sky selects.

It's good that we can all see games, but is that the future of the sport? I'd have thought full grounds rocking would be a better advert for the game rather than 1 million armchair warriors looking in on empty stadia. But what do I know; I'm just a fan after all

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Football before 1992 on 10:44 - Feb 24 with 1809 viewsMick_S

Football before 1992 on 09:17 - Feb 24 by paulparker

and your right 1990 was my favourite year in football for England , Rangers and for life in general

I used to love paying on the day , going with mates to west ham, arsenal, spurs when they were proper clubs feeling that buzz of not knowing what was going to happen also
most of the players were men not pampered little boys I mean I saw this this the other day , wtf is this all about imagine billy Whitehurst doing this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTulWgK7k4kKdSY6J9tkEEviu-3

We have got to the point that Arsenal fans are putting banners up about Sanchez's dogs
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4141100/Arsenal-unveil-new-ban

Muggy nonsense. If you are going to make a banner:

[Post edited 24 Feb 2017 10:44]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Football before 1992 on 10:44 - Feb 24 with 1803 viewsPunteR

I haven't watched a single premiership game this season. Not one.
Don't get me wrong, I love football,play every week and follow and support QPR,but I really couldn't give a stuff about the so called best league in the world.

It really rankles me that Sky don't even acknowledge any football before 92. Its killed the history of football.
My lad who also loves and plays football couldn't give a stuff about the premiership either. He would rather watch F2 freestylers on youtube and follow the mighty R's.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Football before 1992 on 12:55 - Feb 24 with 1720 viewshopphoops

Football before 1992 on 10:44 - Feb 24 by PunteR

I haven't watched a single premiership game this season. Not one.
Don't get me wrong, I love football,play every week and follow and support QPR,but I really couldn't give a stuff about the so called best league in the world.

It really rankles me that Sky don't even acknowledge any football before 92. Its killed the history of football.
My lad who also loves and plays football couldn't give a stuff about the premiership either. He would rather watch F2 freestylers on youtube and follow the mighty R's.

Me neither. And FWIW I find the Europa League more interesting than the Champions League too. Give me Gent v Genk in the last 16 any day rather than Arsenal getting bummed by Bayern for the17th year in a row.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Football before 1992 on 12:58 - Feb 24 with 1706 viewssmegma

I was thinking of going to Boreham Wood on Saturday for the FA Trophy Quarter Final until I saw they charge £18 for home games ??!!!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Football before 1992 on 13:14 - Feb 24 with 1686 viewssmegma

Football before 1992 on 09:17 - Feb 24 by paulparker

Jeeeesus Christ on a bike !!!

Q: Who made such a ridiculous banner?

Q: Why is this considered news?

In Tuesday's Standard there was a 4 page spread about the Sutton v Arsenal the night before. There was another full page on the Spurs game which was in two days time. Not ONE mention of our game that night.
The following day no mention of our result or Fulhams game that night. Sums that paper up.

If Orient win 25-0 in their next home game, there will be no mention either but there will be an article on some PL footballer buying a pair of shoes.

This is the modern world !!!!
Football before 1992 on 19:21 - Feb 24 with 1588 viewsPlanetHonneywood

There were only two ever recorded games of Assiciation Football prior to 1992. Ironically, both were played within nine months of each other and at the same stadium!

The first ever game of football was England v West Germany on 30 July 1966 and the last game played before 1992, was the 1967 League Cup final on 4 March 1967 between QPR v WBA. All of which took place at Wembley stadium in north west London.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Football before 1992 on 21:51 - Feb 24 with 1528 viewsLblock

The Evening Standard sums it up for me

A London paper no?
Give over inches and inches of column space to United, Liverpool etc. Metro the same
I often flick through thinking "do QPR, Bentford, Fools, the O's etc not exist?!?"

So glad I have my Dirty Dozen or so of regular down to earth lads to go down the Rangers with come hell or high. Gutted I'm not the 10th man heading north to PNE tomorrow
Cmon U Rs

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Football before 1992 on 22:28 - Feb 24 with 1507 viewsBoston

Its changed, some for the better, some for the worse. As an old bogger now, it probably wouldn't be much different from being an old bogger back then, but the terrace atmosphere is impossible to recreate and that, at the time, was the core of everything football. Apologies to any who sat down back then, it's not a knock on ya, but the genuine banter, working class humour and camaraderie which swept down from the standing sections made clubs what they were, not the least being affordable. Of course there was a down side, the aggro. As we know being an R in the Loft for the visit of a few of our London neighbours could be hair raising, but apart from those 'iffy' Derbies, it was really very minor and could have been virtually eliminated if the club and authorities had have acted more proactively. Football today, especially in the Premier is a reflection of the global society we are having rammed down our throats, fck your traditions, money rules.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Football before 1992 on 10:20 - Feb 25 with 1388 viewsRangersDave

Agreed with the pre 92 comments.

But the ruination of football is and always will be SKY!

Without their money, football wouldn't be in the ruinous state it is now, players would still be on higher wages, but not demanding, in some cases, more per day than the average guy gets in a year for a proper job.

You wouldn't have press conferences every 30 seconds on the latest player to have broken a toe nail, nothing would have the stench of 'breaking news' or some such stupid banner running throughout the day.
The champions league would have.........and let's see now.........how about........champions in it rather than champions and losers.
The F.A. Cup would be treated seriously as the only other way to play in Europe.
It's going to hell in a hand cart....

Of and the premier league isn't the greatest league in the world, and will never be.
SKY = shyte,

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Football before 1992 on 17:14 - Feb 26 with 1249 viewsBrightonhoop

Used to love checking the fixtures as a young teenager, jump on the 207 down to the Bush, pay on the day, meet your mates outside or around the Bush or on the Loft.

Then mums sunday roast and watch the highlights again on Sunday.

It's become so sterile.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024