Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread 15:19 - Feb 26 with 2876 viewsNov77

I'm sure there'll be lots of stuff posted this week, might as well have a thread for it.

Starting with a rare clip of Rangers and their fans that historic day at Wembley
[Post edited 27 Feb 2017 1:51]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 17:32 - Feb 26 with 2795 viewsBoston

I wonder if West Brom are happy to feature in this chapter of football history?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 17:42 - Feb 26 with 2780 viewsBluce_Ree

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 17:32 - Feb 26 by Boston

Fk West Brom.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 17:50 - Feb 26 with 2767 viewsNov77

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 17:32 - Feb 26 by Boston

two of our best days came against them, Wembley and Highbury.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 17:57 - Feb 26 with 2746 viewsNorthernr

Lazarus interview here to mark the anniversary and launch of the kit.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45179
'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 19:56 - Feb 26 with 2653 viewsRoller

I'm sure that Dave will forgive me for lifting this paragraph from an article I had in AKUTR's recently, but I think that this adds some interesting background to that stunning victory.

Alec Stock’s League Cup winning team featured no fewer than seven graduates from the club’s youth team boasting an average age of just 21, augmented with a few carefully selected signings to focus their enthusiasm. His willingness to develop and then blood youth players, preferably local lads who were desperate to play for their team, was noticed in the highest echelons of the English game. The legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly said of Stock “I don’t believe Queen’s Park Rangers’ blend of youth and experience, which is the basis of success, just happened. I know he encouraged the club to invest in a youth scheme which always needs time to mature, and to the products of that he has added players wisely bought.” Very high praise indeed, and equally complimentary to Derek Healy, our Chief Scout and Youth Team Manager at that time, who oversaw our South East Counties team winning their league in 1963/4, 1965/6 and 1967/8.
'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 09:36 - Feb 27 with 2516 viewsfrancisbowles

Are we all wearing a jacket, shirt and tie to the match? (see BBC clip)
'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 09:59 - Feb 27 with 2497 viewsconnell10

Be nice if rod was inducted at halftime for this match.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 10:15 - Feb 27 with 2479 viewsisawqpratwcity

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 09:59 - Feb 27 by connell10

It's going to happen sooner or later, but I think that one message that I picked up from Mark Lazarus' interview was that the final was a broad team effort. The commemorative shirt, by accident or design, reinforces that theme.

Maybe Rod should keep for another day.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 12:33 - Feb 27 with 2406 viewsWalnut

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 09:59 - Feb 27 by connell10

The Offy says Rodney is not available this weekend
'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 17:26 - Feb 27 with 2320 viewsNov77

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 13:26 - Feb 28 with 2183 viewsNov77

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qprs-67-legend-wembley-glory-stock-team-mates

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 19:56 - Feb 28 with 2132 viewsisawqpratwcity

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 13:26 - Feb 28 by Nov77

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qprs-67-legend-wembley-glory-stock-team-mates

“That team is the best team I played for, and I’ve played for Wolverhampton Wanderers where I was the only player in the side not an international."

“It was a horrible experience when you went to Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn. You’d go there and the full-backs would be locked up during the week and teased with a football. Come Saturday, they kicked everything that moved."

The guy has a lovely direct way of expressing himself!

Btw, I really hate that pic of the KKK man and the coffin. It makes me feel ashamed.

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 16:56 - Mar 1 with 2017 viewsMedwayR

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 19:56 - Feb 28 by isawqpratwcity

“That team is the best team I played for, and I’ve played for Wolverhampton Wanderers where I was the only player in the side not an international."

“It was a horrible experience when you went to Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn. You’d go there and the full-backs would be locked up during the week and teased with a football. Come Saturday, they kicked everything that moved."

Btw, I really hate that pic of the KKK man and the coffin. It makes me feel ashamed.

He's not a KKK man.

I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be a capirote which is some religious clothing I think or the other theory I've heard is that it's supposed to be a ghost because WBA had said they'd bury us hence the coffin.

Either way, nothing to feel ashamed about.

Poll: Who’s better?

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 08:40 - Mar 2 with 1936 viewsisawqpratwcity

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 16:56 - Mar 1 by MedwayR

He's not a KKK man.

I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be a capirote which is some religious clothing I think or the other theory I've heard is that it's supposed to be a ghost because WBA had said they'd bury us hence the coffin.

Either way, nothing to feel ashamed about.

Yeah, clearly the bloke is a penitent, just a bit early for Easter, that's all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote

Given the attitudes of the time, I'm just glad that there weren't more like him.

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 14:26 - Mar 2 with 1881 viewspaulparker

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 19:56 - Feb 28 by isawqpratwcity

he is supposed to be a ghost , a Queens Park Rangers ghost that haunts WBA , funny enough fancy dress wasn't all the rage 50 years ago so a couple of mums or nans bed sheets had to do
I don't get why you feel ashamed of the coffin ??

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 22:01 - Mar 2 with 1824 viewsisawqpratwcity

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 14:26 - Mar 2 by paulparker

he is supposed to be a ghost , a Queens Park Rangers ghost that haunts WBA , funny enough fancy dress wasn't all the rage 50 years ago so a couple of mums or nans bed sheets had to do
I don't get why you feel ashamed of the coffin ??

Because the KKK intimidates with threats of extreme violence. And if he's a ghost, then he's a pointy-headed ghost in a tailored costume.

Tbf, I'm not entirely sure that the coffin is meant for intimidation. The bearers look like pissed-up Fulham dorks and it's presence could be strangely random. But I'm making no such accommodation for our 'ghost/religious penitent'. I reckon the coffin being there suits him just fine.

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 22:52 - Mar 2 with 1802 viewsLadbrokeR

This white shirt thing doesn't fill me with confidence. The only other times I can remember us doing this we lost. That was Cardiff in play off final and villa in the cup away. I am sure we wore white at villa that time.
'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 08:26 - Mar 3 with 1750 viewsrichranger

The last time we wore all white at home - and won 4-0

....OK it was against a non league team...

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 09:03 - Mar 3 with 1708 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I like the bloke in the hard hat who seems to have modified his Hi-vis to Hoops.

Either that or he's wearing somebody elses jacket.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 09:37 - Mar 3 with 1693 viewsqprphil

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary on 17:50 - Feb 26 by Nov77

two of our best days came against them, Wembley and Highbury.

And for those lucky enough to see both games..............................................
'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 10:23 - Mar 3 with 1668 viewsCamberleyR

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 22:52 - Mar 2 by LadbrokeR

This white shirt thing doesn't fill me with confidence. The only other times I can remember us doing this we lost. That was Cardiff in play off final and villa in the cup away. I am sure we wore white at villa that time.

Erm....

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 11:47 - Mar 3 with 1635 viewssexton

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 10:23 - Mar 3 by CamberleyR

Erm....

I remember that West Ham game well. We kicked off, the ball went wide to Dave Thomas and he was clattered by a West Ham player and had to be substituted - one of the quickest substitutions I've seen. That's why it's Givens on the left crossing for the first goal and not Thommo.

Despite their saintly image West Ham were an absolutely filthy team at the time - Bonds, Lampard, Keith Robson.
'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 17:07 - Mar 3 with 1605 viewsterryb

'67 League Cup 50th anniversary thread on 11:47 - Mar 3 by sexton

I remember that West Ham game well. We kicked off, the ball went wide to Dave Thomas and he was clattered by a West Ham player and had to be substituted - one of the quickest substitutions I've seen. That's why it's Givens on the left crossing for the first goal and not Thommo.

Despite their saintly image West Ham were an absolutely filthy team at the time - Bonds, Lampard, Keith Robson.

Your definitely correct there sexton. Robson was an absolute **** & made Bonds & Lampard look reasonably fair players. They were by far the most violent team in that period. Never let it be said that John Lyall was a pure footballing man!

When we were knocked out of the FA Cup at that ground in 1975 I think we ended the game with nine men plus two walking wounded. All injuries happened in the early part of the game!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024