Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugger controversy 19:36 - Feb 27 with 3849 viewsGloryHunter

Can anyone explain to me what exactly it's all about? Not joining in the "rucks", whatever that means - was it cheating, or just clever?
Rugger controversy on 10:30 - Feb 28 with 1291 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugger controversy on 09:00 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Meanwhile the Oirish rugby press in South Dublin have moved from Stage 1 to Stage 2. Stage 3 is being prepared.

Stage 1 - "We're going to win The Slam, roight"
Stage 2 - "We're going to win The Championship, roight"
Stage 3 - "Look Goys, can we at least stop England doing it"

No-one ever loses in Irish Rugby. Everyone always ends up A Legend.

Goys?

Your coach is Jewish?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Rugger controversy on 10:34 - Feb 28 with 1275 viewsrobith

Rugger controversy on 10:15 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Not if we lose to Wales, surely?

If we lose to Wales and England beat Scotland then no one will be able to stop England was my point Brian - if it's not us stopping them winning the tournament, they'll have already won
Rugger controversy on 10:38 - Feb 28 with 1263 viewsrobith

Rugger controversy on 10:21 - Feb 28 by GloryHunter

Thanks for the explanations. But what exactly is offside in rugger? Does it mean that nobody can be in front of the ball?

As a rough rule it's the backfoot of the player where play is taking place - so behind a kicking player, behind the line of your front player in a ruck, the scrum half only being able to come to the back foot of the number 8 oppo in a scrum.

However, if there is no formal play then there's no offside. Same thing happens when kicks are dropped and go loose, a retreating player who was previously offside from being in front of the kicker is now onside and can play the ball. Ireland have also used the tactic of not engaging the maul from a line out and running around and tackling the ball carrier several times
Rugger controversy on 10:41 - Feb 28 with 1254 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rugger controversy on 10:30 - Feb 28 by isawqpratwcity

Goys?

Your coach is Jewish?

Ha!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rugger controversy on 10:42 - Feb 28 with 1249 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rugger controversy on 10:34 - Feb 28 by robith

If we lose to Wales and England beat Scotland then no one will be able to stop England was my point Brian - if it's not us stopping them winning the tournament, they'll have already won

Except if we lose to Wales and they lose to Scotland.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rugger controversy on 10:56 - Feb 28 with 1209 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Rugger controversy on 10:42 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Is Mary McAleese still pissy about her dirty shoes?
Rugger controversy on 11:02 - Feb 28 with 1188 viewsrobith

Rugger controversy on 10:42 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Correct yes. Broadly speaking though if it's not us in the shout at the end, they'll have basically won
Rugger controversy on 11:13 - Feb 28 with 1174 viewsPinnerPaul

Rugger controversy on 10:01 - Feb 28 by robith

The constant ramming down your throats????

I bloody wish! It's on terrestrial TV twice a year

Contract is shared between ITV and BBC

ITV have England, Ireland, Italy home games, BBC have Wales, Scotland & France home games.

Side NOT doing last game of the weekend gets highlights.
Login to get fewer ads

Rugger controversy on 11:21 - Feb 28 with 1156 viewsrobith

Rugger controversy on 11:13 - Feb 28 by PinnerPaul

Contract is shared between ITV and BBC

ITV have England, Ireland, Italy home games, BBC have Wales, Scotland & France home games.

Side NOT doing last game of the weekend gets highlights.

Yeah I know, but that's just the 6 Nations. Wales and myabe Scotland only team that have Autumn games on free to air
Rugger controversy on 11:33 - Feb 28 with 1139 viewsGloryHunter

Rugger controversy on 10:38 - Feb 28 by robith

As a rough rule it's the backfoot of the player where play is taking place - so behind a kicking player, behind the line of your front player in a ruck, the scrum half only being able to come to the back foot of the number 8 oppo in a scrum.

However, if there is no formal play then there's no offside. Same thing happens when kicks are dropped and go loose, a retreating player who was previously offside from being in front of the kicker is now onside and can play the ball. Ireland have also used the tactic of not engaging the maul from a line out and running around and tackling the ball carrier several times

And is it like football, that it's only a foul if the player who is offside receives the ball?
Rugger controversy on 12:10 - Feb 28 with 1074 viewsLongsufferingR

Unnecessarily and overly complicated game. Whenever I've watched a game with friends who go to the internationals, they are entirely unable to explain what is going on, why a penalty is awarded etc. I wonder how many of the crowd at the game had any idea what was going on with Italy's tactics until word filtered through via commentaries or people watching at home.

While people obviously have the right to watch whatever sport they like, I'm more than happy to stick to football.
Rugger controversy on 13:11 - Feb 28 with 979 viewsrobith

Rugger controversy on 11:33 - Feb 28 by GloryHunter

And is it like football, that it's only a foul if the player who is offside receives the ball?

So unlike football offside is mostly an offence committed by the defending team, so anyone offside is an offence
Rugger controversy on 13:50 - Feb 28 with 928 viewsDorse

Rugger controversy on 13:11 - Feb 28 by robith

So unlike football offside is mostly an offence committed by the defending team, so anyone offside is an offence

Well I'm offended, that's for sure.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Rugger controversy on 13:53 - Feb 28 with 917 viewsDorse

Rugger controversy on 09:11 - Feb 28 by A40Bosh

Arhhhhhh Brian,

Sure isn't that what the Irish do best, sing when we're winning, sing when we're losing, it's all the same to us.

That Dennis Leary song always reminds me of this:

'I'M THE SAILOR PEG AND I LOST MY LEG!!'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Rugger controversy on 14:15 - Feb 28 with 882 viewsJuzzie

Out of curiosity I went to a couple of Wasps games when they played at LR. One was in the corporate boxes as it was a works 'do' and I simply ate all the food and drunk all the drink. Not a clue what was going on the other side of the smoked glass.

In a month I'm going to see Harlequins v Geordie Falcons as I now live close by and our child minder can't go (her family are ST'ers) so taking my little boy as one of his nursery mates and Dad is going. I reckon I'll spend most of the time in the kiddies play area and not having a clue what's going on outside.
Rugger controversy on 11:37 - Mar 1 with 631 viewsBklynRanger

My main current irritation with the game itself is the ref being miked up. Why do we need to hear a running commentary on the various technicalities and subtle nuances and what players can do to keep the game flowing more smoothly. If they want to make a special DVD available to schools so they can learn all about how not to pull a scrum down that's fine, but I, the humble, drunk layman am not interested!
Rugger controversy on 11:53 - Mar 1 with 603 viewsbob566

Rugger controversy on 11:37 - Mar 1 by BklynRanger

My main current irritation with the game itself is the ref being miked up. Why do we need to hear a running commentary on the various technicalities and subtle nuances and what players can do to keep the game flowing more smoothly. If they want to make a special DVD available to schools so they can learn all about how not to pull a scrum down that's fine, but I, the humble, drunk layman am not interested!

i love the refs been miked up myself. We'll have to disagree on that one.
Rugger controversy on 13:46 - Mar 1 with 544 viewsrobith

Rugger controversy on 11:53 - Mar 1 by bob566

i love the refs been miked up myself. We'll have to disagree on that one.

Agree, you get much more clarity on ref's decision making
Rugger controversy on 13:50 - Mar 1 with 531 viewsLongsufferingR

Rugger controversy on 13:46 - Mar 1 by robith

Agree, you get much more clarity on ref's decision making

Imagine if it happened in football. They wouldn't be allowed to show any games until after the 9pm watershed unless the entire conversation was bleeped out.
Rugger controversy on 20:07 - Mar 1 with 442 viewswood_hoop

Rugger controversy on 12:10 - Feb 28 by LongsufferingR

Unnecessarily and overly complicated game. Whenever I've watched a game with friends who go to the internationals, they are entirely unable to explain what is going on, why a penalty is awarded etc. I wonder how many of the crowd at the game had any idea what was going on with Italy's tactics until word filtered through via commentaries or people watching at home.

While people obviously have the right to watch whatever sport they like, I'm more than happy to stick to football.

Only had the pleasue(sic) of playing in one match of RU, was at a school where football ruled the roost, quite a few decent players in the school so was serious stuff, had a Welsh P.E. teacher join the staff and insisted we had to play the game of rugby, roped in school football team and a few lard arses who's idea of sport was how quick they could eat through the whole stock of chocolate bars in the school tuck shop in one session.

Had one 'training' session before the teacher thought it a good idea to throw us in at the deep end with a match against a private school of 'Ruperts' , those Italians had nothing on us, most of us spent the whole game trying to play as if a football match, just kicking the ball along the floor whenever it came even close, can't remember one of us even attempting to actually picking the ball up and running with it, seemed like a 'foul' (handball) in our football soaked brains.

Besides no way was I getting in the way of some 12 stone acne ridden 'toff' running at me at full steam cos he wanted to plant the ball over the 'goal' line, doubt I was more than 6 stone wringing wet.

Lost to an astronimical score 90 odd point to nil, came off as clean as I went on beside a few clods of mud stuck in me studs, must admit to the greatest pleasure was seeing our 'Taff' school teacher in an absolute bemused heap at the embarrasment we had caused him.

Some strange reason never did get a call up to train with England Youth RU squad, cant think why, had sleepless nights thinking about it ever since
[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 20:08]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024