Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugger controversy 19:36 - Feb 27 with 3873 viewsGloryHunter

Can anyone explain to me what exactly it's all about? Not joining in the "rucks", whatever that means - was it cheating, or just clever?
Rugger controversy on 19:41 - Feb 27 with 3217 viewsLblock

I know someone from the C-Mob past who can clue you in.

If you didn't join in the ruck then you got done by your own.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Rugger controversy on 20:03 - Feb 27 with 3168 viewskropotkin41

I asked a lad who actually plays rugby today, and his explanation almost might has well have been in Serbo-Croat to me.

I think it goes like this: if there is a tackle made and the tackler and the bloke that had the ball are both on the floor, firstly the bloke who had the ball has to let go of it - back towards his own side ideally, now that's when other players "commit to the ruck" and get involved, this creates an offside line which does not exist AT ALL if no-one "commits to the ruck", and so players from either team can wander wherever they want and not be offside.

At this point, everyone gets upset and says that that's not rugby. The solution to this is quite simple though, apparently, if the other side don't "commit to the ruck" you just take the ball and go straight forward into the space that they're not in because they're wandering all over the pitch trying to f*ck with your head.

It truly is a very stupid game.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2017 20:06]

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Rugger controversy on 20:33 - Feb 27 with 3089 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Think of it like this: attacking team has a free kick and some knob tries to put the keeper off by standing in front of him, while being aware of the need to not be offside/obstructing the keeper when the free kick is taken.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rugger controversy on 20:46 - Feb 27 with 3043 viewsderbyhoop

Rugger controversy on 20:03 - Feb 27 by kropotkin41

I asked a lad who actually plays rugby today, and his explanation almost might has well have been in Serbo-Croat to me.

I think it goes like this: if there is a tackle made and the tackler and the bloke that had the ball are both on the floor, firstly the bloke who had the ball has to let go of it - back towards his own side ideally, now that's when other players "commit to the ruck" and get involved, this creates an offside line which does not exist AT ALL if no-one "commits to the ruck", and so players from either team can wander wherever they want and not be offside.

At this point, everyone gets upset and says that that's not rugby. The solution to this is quite simple though, apparently, if the other side don't "commit to the ruck" you just take the ball and go straight forward into the space that they're not in because they're wandering all over the pitch trying to f*ck with your head.

Pretty decent explanation that. However, a ruck isn't formed until at least 1 player from each side, excluding the tackler and the tackled, commits to trying to win the ball. Once a ruck is formed the offside line is at the rear player's feet, on both sides of the ruck.

Because the Italians refused to commit any players - post-tackle there was no ruck, only a tackle. In that case, there is no offside lines. Consequently Italian players could cut off the passing lines by standing in the way. Complex, but it shows up well on the highlights.

And the counter to it, as England eventually worked out, was to take the ball straight over the top of the ruck, where the Italians should have been. Italians were clever, but it hardly fits with the spirit of the game.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rugger controversy on 21:20 - Feb 27 with 2963 viewsFredManRave

Rugger controversy on 20:33 - Feb 27 by PlanetHonneywood

Think of it like this: attacking team has a free kick and some knob tries to put the keeper off by standing in front of him, while being aware of the need to not be offside/obstructing the keeper when the free kick is taken.

You mean like this?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Rugger controversy on 21:25 - Feb 27 with 2952 viewsMonahoop

Rugger controversy on 20:03 - Feb 27 by kropotkin41

Exactly. Getting someone to explain offside in RU, well I'm not convinced anyone knows really, they just make it up as they go along. So many so called rugby fans here in Ireland haven't a notion what they're watching or care it would seem, just so long as their golden boy Sexton or whoever is flavour of the season is on the field.
Were the Italians being clever at what they did as some have claimed? No they got battered in the end. Silly game.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Rugger controversy on 22:16 - Feb 27 with 2847 viewsLazyFan

The Rugger B*ggers all know the game inside out.
But that's not what its about. As they don' really care when they watch it.

All they want to do is down 10 pints over expensive bespoke belgiu8m lager, hug each other a lot, sing "man" songs, like they are back in prep school getting a thrashing from Mr Smithers. It's bromance for toffs or wannabe toffs.

Meanwhile let's get back to the Worlds number #1 game thanks.

zzzzzzzzzz

Rugger controversy on 22:23 - Feb 27 with 2822 viewsLblock

Rugger controversy on 22:16 - Feb 27 by LazyFan

The Rugger B*ggers all know the game inside out.
But that's not what its about. As they don' really care when they watch it.

All they want to do is down 10 pints over expensive bespoke belgiu8m lager, hug each other a lot, sing "man" songs, like they are back in prep school getting a thrashing from Mr Smithers. It's bromance for toffs or wannabe toffs.

Meanwhile let's get back to the Worlds number #1 game thanks.

Excellent.... I never fail on an excuse to dig out this clip.

Classic

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Rugger controversy on 01:27 - Feb 28 with 2690 viewsNorthernr

I'm very much hoping that now this nonsense sport has been proven to be a nonsense by the silly cnts that play it that we can do away with this ridiculous situation every February where loads of people who happily let their local pub die on its arse the rest of the year suddenly turn up demanding craft lager and kick and clap on the tv.
Rugger controversy on 01:38 - Feb 28 with 2674 viewsbob566

Rugger controversy on 01:27 - Feb 28 by Northernr

I'm very much hoping that now this nonsense sport has been proven to be a nonsense by the silly cnts that play it that we can do away with this ridiculous situation every February where loads of people who happily let their local pub die on its arse the rest of the year suddenly turn up demanding craft lager and kick and clap on the tv.

Not having that Clive. Unfair. I go and watch schools rugby. I love both codes. Unfair by you
Rugger controversy on 07:32 - Feb 28 with 2587 viewskropotkin41

Rugger controversy on 01:38 - Feb 28 by bob566

Not having that Clive. Unfair. I go and watch schools rugby. I love both codes. Unfair by you

Mind you, Northern's criticism of Rugby Union (going to save "kick and clap" for another time) seems a bit rich from someone who likes a sport in which fek knows how many monsters from Yorkshire just run into one another for I have no idea how long.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Rugger controversy on 08:28 - Feb 28 with 2533 viewseasthertsr

Quite right I'm proud of my background, it certainly wasn't public school. I enjoy loads of different sports but hate others. If people want to enjoy and watch a sport I don't like then good luck to them. This six nations has been terrific, with one game , Wales- England a truly epic encounter!
Rugger controversy on 08:45 - Feb 28 with 2505 viewslondonscottish

Rugger controversy on 21:20 - Feb 27 by FredManRave

You mean like this?!

That's comedy gold

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Rugger controversy on 08:53 - Feb 28 with 2489 viewsNorthernr

Rugger controversy on 01:38 - Feb 28 by bob566

Come on I'm allowed one of those every now and again
Rugger controversy on 08:53 - Feb 28 with 2485 viewsNorthernr

Rugger controversy on 07:32 - Feb 28 by kropotkin41

Mind you, Northern's criticism of Rugby Union (going to save "kick and clap" for another time) seems a bit rich from someone who likes a sport in which fek knows how many monsters from Yorkshire just run into one another for I have no idea how long.

Touche
Rugger controversy on 08:59 - Feb 28 with 2473 viewsnadera78

People can play/watch whatever sport they want to, none of my business, it's the constant ramming down our throats of RU that winds people up. Very few people (in the grand scheme of things) play or watch rugby union yet the 6Nations is everywhere - ITV showed the England game live on Sunday, and an hour later BBC were showing highlights of it! What a joke.

And all the bull sh*t about how wonderful the players are, so morally upstanding, all that crap just antagonises people. Especially coming from a sport that spent an entire century doing everything it could to destroy another sport (from bans on players, to destroying pitches, to the Vichy government banning the entire sport and handing assets to the French RU) simply because it came from a working class movement that didn't want to obey their arcane views on professionalism. And we haven't even got to the antics (aka "jolly japes") of the players at all levels of rugby union. F**king hypocrites, the lot of them.
Rugger controversy on 09:00 - Feb 28 with 2468 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Meanwhile the Oirish rugby press in South Dublin have moved from Stage 1 to Stage 2. Stage 3 is being prepared.

Stage 1 - "We're going to win The Slam, roight"
Stage 2 - "We're going to win The Championship, roight"
Stage 3 - "Look Goys, can we at least stop England doing it"

No-one ever loses in Irish Rugby. Everyone always ends up A Legend.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rugger controversy on 09:11 - Feb 28 with 2436 viewsA40Bosh

Rugger controversy on 09:00 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Meanwhile the Oirish rugby press in South Dublin have moved from Stage 1 to Stage 2. Stage 3 is being prepared.

Arhhhhhh Brian,

Sure isn't that what the Irish do best, sing when we're winning, sing when we're losing, it's all the same to us.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Rugger controversy on 09:38 - Feb 28 with 2395 viewseasthertsr

Rugger controversy on 08:59 - Feb 28 by nadera78

People can play/watch whatever sport they want to, none of my business, it's the constant ramming down our throats of RU that winds people up. Very few people (in the grand scheme of things) play or watch rugby union yet the 6Nations is everywhere - ITV showed the England game live on Sunday, and an hour later BBC were showing highlights of it! What a joke.

And all the bull sh*t about how wonderful the players are, so morally upstanding, all that crap just antagonises people. Especially coming from a sport that spent an entire century doing everything it could to destroy another sport (from bans on players, to destroying pitches, to the Vichy government banning the entire sport and handing assets to the French RU) simply because it came from a working class movement that didn't want to obey their arcane views on professionalism. And we haven't even got to the antics (aka "jolly japes") of the players at all levels of rugby union. F**king hypocrites, the lot of them.

Over the course of say a year how much rugby union is on free to air telly? Not very much really. The history of RU is I admit not great, comparable to cricket I'd say, both sports of the rich and privileged. But the change to professionalism has transformed the game, players no longer neck 10 pints after international games fitness is too important. I'll admit there are some right Pratt's who follow the game but that doesn't stop my enjoyment of the matches.
Rugger controversy on 09:59 - Feb 28 with 2348 viewsloftboy

Can I add the state they leave the trains in on the Twickenham line,if it was football fans it would be front page headlines, take your empties with you,bunch of pricks that only get let out once a year.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Rugger controversy on 10:01 - Feb 28 with 2336 viewsrobith

Rugger controversy on 08:59 - Feb 28 by nadera78

The constant ramming down your throats????

I bloody wish! It's on terrestrial TV twice a year
Rugger controversy on 10:03 - Feb 28 with 2322 viewsrobith

Rugger controversy on 09:00 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Except stage 2 and 3 are the same. If we stop England winning it, we will win it
Rugger controversy on 10:05 - Feb 28 with 2312 viewsrobith

Anyway, there isn't a controversy - England got caught out by a three year old tactic from Australian provincial rugby (one which the guy playing number 8 for England has used for Wasps). However most teams try it once - England were so dense that Italy kept doing it and England didn't wise up (though in fairness to Haskell, Poite was wrong to not allow his counter tactic)

To cover up a poor performance from his team, Eddie Jones went full Mourinho.
Rugger controversy on 10:15 - Feb 28 with 2292 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rugger controversy on 10:03 - Feb 28 by robith

Except stage 2 and 3 are the same. If we stop England winning it, we will win it

Not if we lose to Wales, surely?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rugger controversy on 10:21 - Feb 28 with 2274 viewsGloryHunter

Thanks for the explanations. But what exactly is offside in rugger? Does it mean that nobody can be in front of the ball?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024