Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol v Diesel 15:39 - Mar 1 with 5990 viewsEsgaroth

The time has come to chop in the 3.0D Jag XF and get something a bit more practical and frugal. With all the hoo har about Diesels these days i'm torn between getting a petrol 1.4tsi Octavia (i'm not a badge snob and its a Golf anyway) or a Mazda 6 or 3 2.2 diesel

I only come into the city on match days so wont sit in traffic too often and it would get a 20 mile motorway runs to work every day.

Advice is appreciated

Been here since 1984. Now THAT is what you call punishment

Petrol v Diesel on 15:46 - Mar 1 with 5203 viewsblacky200

Not in the know or anything and totally my opinion but I would stay away from Diesels now. They are going to be taxed up to the hilt sooner rather than later and any sell on value is going to be affected. I got rid of my diesel and went for a 1.4 Meriva. It is pretty gutless but gets me around and fuel consumption isn't bad if you take it easy.
Petrol v Diesel on 15:55 - Mar 1 with 5175 viewshopphoops

Go for the 2004-2012 Panda 4x4 - it's a little monster and your speeding fines will go down as it tops out at about 75mph.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Petrol v Diesel on 16:04 - Mar 1 with 5151 viewsqueensparker

I'd echo avoiding diesel if you're planning on keeping it for a while, I tangentially work around the car industry at the moment and it's clear tax hikes are coming and maybe even bans/expensive rates from city centres which will be a pain.

Driven tons of new cars in the last few years and one that stayed with me was the Skoda Superb estate as a boring / practical option, it's basically a Passat but cheaper. Boot is massive.

Leftfield option but if you only do 20 miles there and back each day and have somewhere to plug in at home or work, you can get brilliant deals on either the Nissan Leaf or Renault Zoe at the moment. Fully electric, free fuel (if you can plug in at work), and they're surprisingly fun to drive, like your own massive golf-cart. BMW i3 is a step up and awesome, but pricey. They'll both do 80 miles on a charge (sometimes a bit more if you drive like Miss Daisy)
Petrol v Diesel on 16:10 - Mar 1 with 5135 viewsstowmarketrange

Petrol v Diesel on 16:04 - Mar 1 by queensparker

I'd echo avoiding diesel if you're planning on keeping it for a while, I tangentially work around the car industry at the moment and it's clear tax hikes are coming and maybe even bans/expensive rates from city centres which will be a pain.

Driven tons of new cars in the last few years and one that stayed with me was the Skoda Superb estate as a boring / practical option, it's basically a Passat but cheaper. Boot is massive.

Leftfield option but if you only do 20 miles there and back each day and have somewhere to plug in at home or work, you can get brilliant deals on either the Nissan Leaf or Renault Zoe at the moment. Fully electric, free fuel (if you can plug in at work), and they're surprisingly fun to drive, like your own massive golf-cart. BMW i3 is a step up and awesome, but pricey. They'll both do 80 miles on a charge (sometimes a bit more if you drive like Miss Daisy)

I had a 4 day test drive for a Nissan Leaf last year and it was brilliant.I was tempted to buy one but it isn't the most practical car for a longer journey.
Petrol v Diesel on 16:10 - Mar 1 with 5132 viewsEsgaroth

Future taxes on diesels has been a consideration but that should be a few years off and will mainly apply to city dwellers and i don't think i'm ready for hybrid or electric yet as they have no performance i still want a bit of fun while driving. coming out of a Jag into something gutless isn't an option.

Been here since 1984. Now THAT is what you call punishment

Petrol v Diesel on 16:46 - Mar 1 with 5070 viewsqueensparker

Petrol v Diesel on 16:10 - Mar 1 by stowmarketrange

I had a 4 day test drive for a Nissan Leaf last year and it was brilliant.I was tempted to buy one but it isn't the most practical car for a longer journey.

Same, I had a Leaf for a few weeks last year and as someone who's always loved fast/loud/stupid cars was really surprised how much I liked it. It's ugly as hell, but driving under electric power is a good laugh, it's quick off the lights, and totally silent, and using no fuel is a good feeling. Plus you can play the regeneration games with the brakes, by the end I was getting to work virtually using none of the battery at all.

The only downside was people walking out in front of you all the time as they can't hear you.

Unfortunately I live on a fairly dodgy terraced street and have no way to plug it in otherwise I'd think about one as well, perfect for London.

OP if you want something that's still fun and nippy and you don't care about badges, the Suzuki Swift Sport was another one that's a bit under the radar and was really good
[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 16:49]
Petrol v Diesel on 17:04 - Mar 1 with 5031 viewsDWQPR

I've had diesels for the last 20+ years and my current one a BMW 5GT has an additional tank for adblu, which from I understand the amonia in it (adblu is a mixture of water and purified pigs pîss), reacts with the Nox and turns it into nitrogen and oxygen, which I believe is what we breathe. Modern diesels also have a Cat that helps catch the particulates so I don't know whether this is now the answer to the issues surrounding diesels or not, maybe someone can confirm. I do around 20,000 miles a year and get around 550 miles to a tank, averaging around 40 mpg. My road tax is the band 2 paying about £130 per year. I will probably change the car this year or next and will probably plump for another diesel but ensure that the technology is what it should be to not worry about the current concerns.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Petrol v Diesel on 17:16 - Mar 1 with 5005 viewsstowmarketrange

Petrol v Diesel on 16:46 - Mar 1 by queensparker

Same, I had a Leaf for a few weeks last year and as someone who's always loved fast/loud/stupid cars was really surprised how much I liked it. It's ugly as hell, but driving under electric power is a good laugh, it's quick off the lights, and totally silent, and using no fuel is a good feeling. Plus you can play the regeneration games with the brakes, by the end I was getting to work virtually using none of the battery at all.

The only downside was people walking out in front of you all the time as they can't hear you.

Unfortunately I live on a fairly dodgy terraced street and have no way to plug it in otherwise I'd think about one as well, perfect for London.

OP if you want something that's still fun and nippy and you don't care about badges, the Suzuki Swift Sport was another one that's a bit under the radar and was really good

The one I tested had a switch in order to make a noise to warn pedestrians.I can't remember what the noise was though.whether
Login to get fewer ads

Petrol v Diesel on 17:28 - Mar 1 with 4990 viewsthorpebankR

For that mileage I would deffo go petrol. Modern day diesels have a diesel particulate filter which needs to get up to a high temperature. I had a 2014 2.2 Mazda 6 diesel and although a nice car they need proper long journeys or the diesel mixes with the oil and your oil level will rise wrecking the engine.
Petrol v Diesel on 18:19 - Mar 1 with 4939 viewsHantsR

I'm a bit pee'd off with the latest view on the damage said to have been caused by diesel engines. Obviously the last thing I want is to be responsible for the public health ailments caused by the particulates but I'm one of those who bought a diesel (actually, it was very difficult to buy a petrol engine in the style I wanted) a few years ago. Knowing that the emissions were low and with 139g/km only paid low tax (now £130) didn't have too much conscience as most of my journeys are motorway and around 14,000 mile/year.

Now, the re-sale value of this car must have been affected quite badly so I don't suppose I'll be able to afford changing vehicle for some time now. I wonder really are the authorities going about this the right way by talking about higher charges and taxes rather than other solutions such as looking at more sophisticated filters that could improve the pollution levels?
Petrol v Diesel on 18:39 - Mar 1 with 4919 viewsdanehoop

Been driving a Skoda Yeti 1.4 for past 18 months and that has really impressed me. Frugal, quite zippy for the size of car. Also drove the 1.2 at the show room and that also had plenty of get up and go to it as well. Was advised against the diesel option as I didnt really do the miles to make it worth while (and 4x4 option seemed a bit unnecessary to navigate the Chessington Road most days). Aftercare from Skoda dealership has been really impressive (certainly of a completely different level to my experience of Ford).

Have also been driving my Mum's 2016 Honda Jazz a lot recently. Have to say it is a surprisingly good little car that feels a lot bigger inside and goes along at a very fair pace for its stupidly frugal 1.3 engine. Happily takes a family of 4 and plenty of shopping. Its really well kitted even in basic spec. Aftersales and servicing has also been excellent.

Never knowingly understood

Petrol v Diesel on 14:02 - Mar 2 with 4700 viewsR_from_afar

Petrol v Diesel on 16:46 - Mar 1 by queensparker

I just clocked up my 10,000th mile in an i3 Range Extender.

Don't worry about performance, electric vehicles can be surprisingly rapid. Mine isn't the fastest i3 but still reaches 60 in under 8 seconds.

It costs about 2p a mile to run and I charge it at home. Charger installations are subsidised by the government.

The Leaf plays a noise to warn pedestrians it is coming, as I believe, and the same technology is available as an option on the i3 (and I have it, it cost £20 I recall; you can switch it off if you like).

The new i3 is the only car I'd swap mine for. It should get you a minimum of 125 miles on the battery alone, over 150 with care. The new Zoe offers a similar range and is much cheaper to buy.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Petrol v Diesel on 14:26 - Mar 2 with 4664 viewslondonscottish

Get a diesel, they're great!*

*I'm in the process of trying to by a 2010-ish Merc petrol. Because of all the taxes forcing people in to diesels over the last few years the petrols are rare as hen's teeth. There are precisely none on Autotrader right now.

Now the diesel scare mongering is kicking in dealers are adding a grand to the asking price. Groan.

DIESEL! DIESEL! DIESEL!

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Petrol v Diesel on 15:25 - Mar 2 with 4619 viewsbob566

Petrol v Diesel on 14:26 - Mar 2 by londonscottish

Get a diesel, they're great!*

*I'm in the process of trying to by a 2010-ish Merc petrol. Because of all the taxes forcing people in to diesels over the last few years the petrols are rare as hen's teeth. There are precisely none on Autotrader right now.

Now the diesel scare mongering is kicking in dealers are adding a grand to the asking price. Groan.

DIESEL! DIESEL! DIESEL!

you could always buy a diesel and save some money!

all this nonsense about cars adding to the pollution. I read somewhere that the animal industry is responsible for the majority of the pollution. If everybody gave up meat for a couple of days a week. I can easily eat a veggie burger, veggie stir fry, pasta arabiatta or a veg curry twice a week.

Why don't you push that down our throat and see can we get emissions down by cutting the livestock by two sevenths
Petrol v Diesel on 15:31 - Mar 2 with 4608 viewsblacky200

Petrol v Diesel on 15:25 - Mar 2 by bob566

all this nonsense about cars adding to the pollution. I read somewhere that the animal industry is responsible for the majority of the pollution. If everybody gave up meat for a couple of days a week. I can easily eat a veggie burger, veggie stir fry, pasta arabiatta or a veg curry twice a week.

Why don't you push that down our throat and see can we get emissions down by cutting the livestock by two sevenths

I agree that cars are not the major polluters in the world they do hike up the levels in cities. Anyway cars are the easiest target for tax hikes. Anything on industry is met with a job loss/ leaving country for abroad etc.
Petrol v Diesel on 17:43 - Mar 2 with 4544 viewsMelakaRanger

Go Electric.

Currently a 3yr PCP for Nissan Leaf Accenture 30 kw. (125 mile range) can be had for £189 deposit at the moment and £189 a month. Simply hand it back in 3 yrs time and start again. Lots of dealers doing this deal.

Top up at home with the free installed charger. Then 2p a mile. Even cheaper if you have economy 7.

I've been driving electric for 18 months. Never regretted it and never again will I buy a gas gussler.

You can have a 4 day test drive too.

It's the future. Go for it.
Petrol v Diesel on 17:56 - Mar 2 with 4535 viewskensalriser

I dunno, man. Haven't seen that many cows on my street for a while. Actually, make that ever.

I do see horses around Loftus Rd sometimes, but that pollution seems a little more, erm, organic compared to HGVs.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Petrol v Diesel on 23:06 - Mar 2 with 4459 viewslondonscottish

I could get a diesel cheaper but I suspect I'd never get shot of it a few years down the line.

In other news I had a veggie meal earlier. You're right about the meat thing.

Petrol v Diesel on 10:53 - Mar 3 with 4348 viewsPommyhoop

My best car ever was our VW Sharon TDi. I'm no petrol head and come from the ('as long as it gets me from A to B' camp) but that car was so reliable and managed our 3 kids easily.
Loved the London taxi / bus sound when you started it up..
Still in the diesel camp with my nissan patrol..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Petrol v Diesel on 12:37 - Mar 3 with 4290 viewslondonscottish

Petrol v Diesel on 17:43 - Mar 2 by MelakaRanger

Go Electric.

Currently a 3yr PCP for Nissan Leaf Accenture 30 kw. (125 mile range) can be had for £189 deposit at the moment and £189 a month. Simply hand it back in 3 yrs time and start again. Lots of dealers doing this deal.

Top up at home with the free installed charger. Then 2p a mile. Even cheaper if you have economy 7.

I've been driving electric for 18 months. Never regretted it and never again will I buy a gas gussler.

You can have a 4 day test drive too.

It's the future. Go for it.

Electric cars are great round town.

I was sceptical until a friend gave me a lift in her Mitsubishi iEV - it was a blast.

I fancy a Volkwagen E Up.

3 yr old ones are only £10k

Petrol v Diesel on 12:40 - Mar 3 with 4280 viewstheQPRking

I drive a Golf GTi, 2 litre turbo petrol and I love it, not too crazy on fuel, faster than 75% of road users which is great for roundabouts and B roads, well built, all mod cons in a little hatchback..
Petrol v Diesel on 13:34 - Mar 3 with 4228 viewsHantsR

I used to tear across London to LR in one of these, many moons ago, anything since has felt quite green and sensible.
Petrol v Diesel on 13:38 - Mar 3 with 4221 viewsR_from_afar

Petrol v Diesel on 12:37 - Mar 3 by londonscottish

Electric cars are great round town.

I was sceptical until a friend gave me a lift in her Mitsubishi iEV - it was a blast.

I fancy a Volkwagen E Up.

3 yr old ones are only £10k

Electric vehicles are becoming a serious option for longer trips too now. The second generation i3, Zoe, and Ampera (238 mile max. range, under $40k, due in June) offer some serious range. Of course, there are also the Teslas...

I am not a car snob and never particularly wanted a BMW (I bought the i3 because it was the only car designed to be primarily an electric vehicle but with petrol back-up) but bear in mind that with the i3 Range Extender, you are not going to get stranded, you always have the petrol back-up generator (roughly 80 miles of range on a full tank) as a get out of jail card.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Petrol v Diesel on 15:46 - Mar 3 with 4188 viewsqueensparker

Petrol v Diesel on 13:38 - Mar 3 by R_from_afar

Electric vehicles are becoming a serious option for longer trips too now. The second generation i3, Zoe, and Ampera (238 mile max. range, under $40k, due in June) offer some serious range. Of course, there are also the Teslas...

I am not a car snob and never particularly wanted a BMW (I bought the i3 because it was the only car designed to be primarily an electric vehicle but with petrol back-up) but bear in mind that with the i3 Range Extender, you are not going to get stranded, you always have the petrol back-up generator (roughly 80 miles of range on a full tank) as a get out of jail card.

RFA

I'm definitely going to get myself and the family an i3 one day RFA, once the price has come down a bit and the kids are a bit older and we don't have so much crap to lug about.

Brilliant cars
Petrol v Diesel on 22:41 - Mar 3 with 4135 viewsrrrspricey

Also changing motors soon. Had 2 BMW 3 series diesels but looking for something different.

After a few test drives and some research am seriously considering a Lexus IS300H F sport. Lovely looking motor and has the advantage of being a hybrid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024